Word of warning about box mods in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfdpl686

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
New York
www.flickr.com
Wolf and Quick, you should see the paranoia in NYC. Is not as bad as few years ago, but there is still a problem.

After 9/11 ANY strenuous sound caused alarm; buildings were evacuated immediately. Today still happens sometimes.

It is easy to believe in TV and news; it is totally different to be there, close or to witness after the chaos.

I knew the WTC very well, I knew people who pass away there; I went on site two weeks after the incident… since then, I avoid going around; this things leave you an scar not easily removed. I can’t even imagine what people who escaped feel or think right now.

During events like those, sometimes there is no time to think but act. Police officers, same as firemen sometimes have to act, that’s it… collateral damage, sad but true. Only for the wellbeing of the community not an individual.

Eznet2u

Apr 21, 2010
California
So I guess my new "30 Day PV with Count down timer" mod wouldn't be a hot seller in DC? :blink:

suicidebomber.JPG

IT'S A JOKE!!!
:p

wolflrv

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Tennessee
Wolf and Quick, you should see the paranoia in NYC. Is not as bad as few years ago, but there is still a problem.

After 9/11 ANY strenuous sound caused alarm; buildings were evacuated immediately. Today still happens sometimes.

It is easy to believe in TV and news; it is totally different to be there, close or to witness after the chaos.

I knew the WTC very well, I knew people who pass away there; I went on site two weeks after the incident… since then, I avoid going around; this things leave you an scar not easily removed. I can’t even imagine what people who escaped feel or think right now.

During events like those, sometimes there is no time to think but act. Police officers, same as firemen sometimes have to act, that’s it… collateral damage, sad but true. Only for the wellbeing of the community not an individual.

I appreciate what you're saying and I do understand and am very sympathetic to 9/11. Darryl Worley who wrote the song "Have you Forgotten"..is from here and I listen to the song almost everyday on CD. I haven't forgotten nor have many folks around here. And I hate seeing many of the things happening in our country today. Do know though that are many people in this country that still remember and still say a prayer everyday for those lost and those who survived.

I also feel though that we live in America..and if we lose our rights as citizens through Homeland Security or any other means..then we've lost our freedom as Americans. If I were 30 yrs younger I'd be volunteering for military service because I believe in protecting our freedom, but I don't believe in Shoot to Kill orders on our citizens in the streets of this country. That's what I'm taking issue with based on what the OP wrote.

No matter where you stand at the moment though...on many issues..it's a tough fight and someone is bound to lose...I just that some day we can return to some sense of reason and humanity and hopefully maybe some peace.

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
A few years back my friends was one of the people arrested for putting the bright light's under overpasses. It was an add campaign for Aqua teen hunger force. They hooked up batteries to bright lights, you know the toys that you stick the colored pegs in to make pictures with?

Now I understand the need for caution but once again how stupid can you be? If someone was going to put a bomb under and overpass do you really think they would light the thing up with a picture of a moonite on it?

They raided his house and arrested not only him but everyone in the house, he spent close to a year in and out of court fighting and bankrupted himself before they finally dropped the charges.

There was also another case were people had used chalk markers (like they use to make the lines for a baseball field) to show were a bike race was supposed to take place. They arrested the people who put on the bike race as well. Come on now!! Just because cops overeacted to a situation does not call for arrests and repayment for the time lost and the money spent because these idiots couldn't tell the difference between a chalk marker and anthrax.

With a little common sense anyone with half a brain would have looked at the bright light or the chalk marker and handled it without calling in the hazmat and bomb sqauds and shuting down half a city.

Once again common sense is dead. Fear has taken over and the terrorist have won. If only we had half the balls of the people who lived through the bombings of London during WWII....

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/31/advertising-campaign-causes-terror-scare/

quakereject

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2009
Arizona
On the one hand, taking out someone who's about to destroy a structure and potentially end lives is one thing that should be certainly vigilant about. Not just from any sect of culture these days no less, I can understand where a shoot on sight order could be issued.

On the other hand, with the sheer amount of electronic devices from car alarm keychain remotes to ipod's, Iphones, and beyond.. it's amazing that something even remotely like a *if you think it's an explosive device then shoot them and ask questions later* order is absolutely ludicrous. To think that this won't cause innocent casualties is amazing, and to think that innocent casualties will be "acceptable" is even more incredible.

Looking up a few of these, and googling some other stories involving cell phones and the like.. most of them are people who, when CONFRONTED by a cop goes for their cell phone or whatever. That's a whole different situation, the air of emergency from the OP I carried away by the first post is that you should actually try to be more stealthy when you break out your mods instead of nonchalant. Instead hide around corners and be reeealy extra careful. That's more likely to get you shot than if you're talking with someone while walking or standing and pull it out to vape on imo.

On the flip side if you're stupid enough, when confronted by an officer of the law, and you reach for your PV so you can take a vape... well, you stand a much greater chance of getting shot. However if Joe Vaper is just walking down the street, and pulls a REO out of his pocket, pumps the primer and then goes for a vape and gets shot by Jeff the Policeman thinking he's saving the world... well I don't give a damn what reasoning is behind it, it's wrong in my eyes.

Anyways, naivete aside.. it's silly to think that unless you LOOK suspicious while attempting to break out your box mod and hit it... that you would simply be shot with no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread