Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Vandy vape is coming out with some new mesh strips that might be another option to use with these rta's (Kanthal's and SS).

(click to enlarge)
1-1Z606222IBI 50-70W Duel Mesh.jpg
1-1Z60514263R16 40-60W.jpg
1-1Z60514444TB 40-60W 360-420F.jpg

1-1Z605143646342 50-70W.jpg

Attachments

• 1-1Z605143646342 50-70W.jpg
    1-1Z605143646342 50-70W.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Errmmm... help!... I just got my unity and when I took it apart(to clean and build it for the first time) an o-ring fell off and I have no idea where it came from in where to put it back in to!!!! :(((

There is an o-ring on the inside of the top cap for the Drip Tip. One for both the top and bottom of the glass. One for the chimney, and chimney extension. One for where the base screws into the main body.

Millions of pictures on the web that display a break down of the Unity. I’m sure you can figure out where your came from.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Indeed it was from where the base screws into the rest of the deck, thanks @Punk In Drublic !

So, initial thoughts, not a bad little thing.
I don't like that you have to grab the inside of the deck to screw it on the mod when building it, otherwise it just spins forever, the clouds are just the right ammount for what I need/want inside the house, the hit is good.
It is a bit more restrictive then I was expecting it to be, would it help if I got a wider bore drip tip?

The flavor... can't really comment on this yet cause it's a new juice(not even sure it's done steeping yet) and I was using the last coil in my Luxe waaaaay past it's expiration point while waiting on the profile, so after that anything is gonna taste good.

I did get a bit(maybe 1 ml or so) of leaking at first through the airholes so maybe my wicking is quite right, or it could be because I was having problems screwing the top cap back in and forgot to close the airholes while filling too.

Anyway, so far not bad, not bad at all.

LE: Nevermind, I'm getting dry hits... sigh... back to the drawing board... guess I have to take it apart and mess with the wick some more... I wonder if I left too much cotton in, the walls of the chimney where touching and pulling it down a bit when I was putting it back togheter, but I don't know...:unsure:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If it only leaks after filling the tank and does not continue to leak afterwards, that will be due to a pressure buildup inside the RTA. Solution, fill with the air flow closed, press the top cap to create a seal but flip the RTA upside down then screw the top cap. Open the air flow and vape away!

If it continues to leak long after filling the tank then your wicking is wrong.

The Chimney is already somewhat restricted – changing the drip tip will not change this by much if anything at all.

Follow the many wicking tutorials on the both the web and the instructions booklet and you should not have a problem with dry hits. Of course assuming you are operating within a comfortable wattage and not going nuts with your power. ~60 watts is perfect for me.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Yeah, the leaking stoped after that initial burst, then a couple of wet hits with some spitback then everything was fine, for another 5 hits or so, then the dry hits started.
I did follow the tutorials as best I could, was runing it at 65w.

Question is what do I do now with that black spot in the middle of my mesh? Should I just cut some more of the cotton off? Should I just take the cotton out and rewick it? Is the mesh destroyed now too and I have to replace that as well not just the cotton? Is the mesh still good but I should clean it with that "brush" made of wires that comes in my kit? Or what?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Did you follow the wicking instructions? Following this will give you a leak and dry burn free experience. Once you become accustomed to the RTA you can try other wicking technics. But the instructions work! Just keep in mind that once you fill the RTA, screwing on the cap creates a pressure change which can result in temporary leaking. You can mitigate this by following my advice in flipping the RTA upside down before securing the cap. Just ensure you create enough of a seal prior to screwing on the cap so that juice does not flow out.

D32nGT_U4AAAcr3.jpg

All RTA’s have a learning curve to wicking – the Unity is no exception. Too much wick and capillary action suffers resulting in a dry hit. Too little wick and you flood the deck which could lead to leaking depending on design. I do not own a lot of RTA’s, but out of the ones I do own, I find the Unity to be one of the easiest to nail. And judging by the comments in this thread, others also do not experience problems.

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Right, well, my results/experience so far are "Meh..."
I built it a couple more times, the wotofo cotton was of no help whatsoever!, down to my Cotton Bacon atm and I managed to find a build that's at least "somewhat vapable"...:

- aside from the initial flood(I'll try your way of flipping the tank next time) after filling it doesn't seem to leak anymore;
- no more dry hits so far, and I can see the bubbles, so it is wicking;
- however I still get juice in my mouth/lips and have to put toilet paper down the drip tip to clean it...;
- and the flavor is nothing special(assuming I still have the ability to even feel the flavor from the vapor anymore with so much juice in my mouth);

So.... I'll leave it like this for now, I'm tired. I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I find this "the easiest to nail" like you @Punk In Drublic .

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
My comment on “easiest to nail” is based on my limited exposure to RTA’s. I am positive there will be other RTA’s that are easier to wick. But one does not need a degree in physics to properly wick the Unity. It is not that difficult! Being your first RTA (assuming), there will be a learning curve. More exposure will gain you experience and before you know it, wicking it properly will be second nature.

Juice in the mouth is a result of flooding the deck. Again, if this has happened after you filled the tank then you have flooded the deck due to that pressure change. I do not experience juice in the mouth.

The Unity is new to you. Right now your experience is focusing on how it is performing in terms of wicking. Nail that, which will come with a little trial and error, and your attention will draw to how well it performs in terms of flavour.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The mesh can last for quite some time depending on the power in which you use it at and how much your juice gunks it up. I’ve been using the same mesh strip in my Unity for the past 2 or 3 months – lost count of how many times I’ve rewicked for I also change cotton when I change flavours. Visually you can tell when it is time to clean the mesh. Should it break, or begin to break, the resistance jump all over the place.

The mesh may become deformed through use, especially with higher power. You can try reforming the mesh using the included tool but usually best to just replace it at this point. Same can be said about damage to the mesh, either through a careless rewick or dropping it. You want to maintain that perfect half circle profile.

To clean, I use a low wattage, around 10 watts, and pulse the mesh until it just starts to glow. Not bright red for you run the risk of burning out the mesh and it may break. You want to burn off the crusties and depending on how dirty your mesh is, it may take several pulses. You will know when all crusties are burnt off for the mesh will glow and cool evenly across the entire surface. I then run it under warm water to give it a rinse. Quick fire to dry it off then rewick and she is a good as new!

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
Ok, so I've tested and I'm gonna say this here just in the tiniest smallest of cases where there will ever be someone else on this forum who, like me, cares about how many puffs and how much juice they go through.

With this device, the 0.13 nexmesh, regular organic cotton(in my case Cotton Bacon), running at 65w, airflow wide open, taking puffs that are in the 1.8-2.8 seconds range you can expect to get approximately 76-80 puffs from approximately 4.5-4.7 ml of juice(70vg-30pg juice if it matters).

Not exactly stellar for me, but I think I can make it work. So there you go, at least now you have some data, adjust it to your own vaping style and you should be able(I hope) to get a rough idea of what you can expect from it and decide whether or not it's gonna be stellar for you.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Day 3 with my Unity and I am loving it. I don't get leaks, but I did get flooding upon filling and I filled with the air closed off and it seems to work for me. No dry hits, but I do vape at a lower 45w. I loved the Profile RDA and that is the reason for picking this one up and I will admit that I had to pay closer attention to how I wicked the cotton. So far so good and it is surpassing the flavors I got with my Serpent RTA's.

Now ease of wicking is not so much as easy as any of the RTA's I have ever built, and I have built my fair share of them, but I knew the wicking will be a challenge on the Unity before I got one. Juice consumption is high, and I expected that as well. I am loving it.

Now the question I have for those who have had theirs for a while. How long does the cotton last? I know with my RDA, I have yet to change it, but I vape on that on and off, and I believe I should change that now since I haven't used it in over a month.....

VlKlNGS

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2019
WHAT THE F*** IS WRONG WITH THIS PIECE OF SH**?!?!?!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ok, I've just about had it with this rta!!!!! I've build it EVERY WHICH WAY more cotton, less cotton, cotton fluffed up, cotton flush, cut it this lenght, cut it that lenght, watched a dozen youtube videos and copied each of them exactly, HELL I even went as far as to take a piece of ofrf mesh and cut a tiny bit of it thinking that the idiots measured it wrong and if I use the entire piece it sits too high up and the airflow doesn't hit the middle, etc.!!!!

No matter what I do the result is always the same: if I'm lucky I get a few hundred puffs, if I'm unlucky I get a few dozen puffs and then it dry burns! Sometimes after the initial dry puff or 2 it will work ok(with just a bit of flavor loss) for a while longer, untill the second dry burn when it's pretty much game over!

I think I've got a couple more days of pain and misery left in me untill I SMASH THIS PIECE OF SH** AGAINST A WALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any suggestions of what the F else I could try during these days?!

Thanks... :(

P.S. And no I'm not vaping at crazy wattages, 65w is where I hang around at.
P.S.S. And no I'm not using crazy high VG juice, lately I've been making my own and I do eighter 60-40 or 65-35.
P.S. And no I'm not chain vaping super long hits or sometimes, 2 or 3 hits(with a couple of second between each hit) lasting anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds each, then I put it down for a couple of minutes, rinse and repeat.
P.S.S.S.S.S. Yes, I'm sure I got the wicking right at least a couple of times, I mean I was able to SEE THE FREAKING BUBBLES!!!! so it was obviously wicking(right?), didn't matter....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread