Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Ok, I am giddy with anticipation. PayPal confirmed, black wrinkle grand and an rm2 on the way. First wrap will be...? I think I am going to have to go with the supe standard in Rene. After that, the xobe driver. Than, then, then, what was my temco password again. Agggh!

My Oregonian Royal Mounted Canadian Goose Friend . . . . .I got lost in the REO frenzy there . . .. .thought you already had one :blink:

Well, Congratz!

You want the fat lady singing? . . . . . . . .. . . Yeah, sure you do . . ..

Last edited:

LeoRex

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
United States
Sweetness... Got cotton wicked micros in both the IGO-l (1.7 ohm) and my Smok RDA (1.4ohm).

Amazing bit of design here. I mean, the RDA, even on a humble 650 ego, can produce a vape that I couldn't hope to replicate on any of the traditional coiled stuff I used to use on my VV gear. Smooth, rich, dense and flavor packed. Plus, I've finding the vape to be pretty much devoid of harshness.

I am still amazed at the performance of some simple cotton. I mean, this was a world dominated by stainless steel mesh and silica wicks, materials designed to take a ton of heat. Cotton balls... stuff that would otherwise burst into flames.... load it up with ejuice and it'll just go. I just pulled an wick that I had run a fair amount of juice at 9 to 10w and there wasn't even a hint of discoloration where it was sitting in the coil. It's COTTON!

And it's not an exaggeration that these things can replicate a vape that you would otherwise not be able to get outside of a ohm or sub-ohm genny on a mech.... all in a package that people can run on the most basic of devices.

arilen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bryan, Texas
Well today I wrapped my very first coil ever, and it was a micro.

I have a evod on a smoktech twist and I used 28 gauge with 9 wraps around a q-tip that I cut one end off of, it came out at 1.7 ohms.

I think I did ok, I didn't have a torch so I used a lighter to oxidize the wire, its not as tight as I would have liked because once it was coiled the out side wraps on each side were a little loose , but I will be getting a torch before I try again.

I have watch several video on coil making and think I know what to do I just need some more practice.

It hits much better then the stock coil and with the cotton wick the flavor is great and the vapor is very good with 50/50 juice, It takes just a little longer to warm up but after that its great.

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I will try to tomorrow and then post some.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
I guess it's amateur night, I did my 1st 28g micro coil on a blunt syringe needle, def. smaller than my 5/64th drill bits.
Looks like about 10 wraps, count em maybe 11 - it was low ohms on my SID, put it on my multimeter and got 1.0 ohms, I pegged the top of the 2 screws to read it. nice even middle out glow on my Magneto. It is a little slow, but it looks like it'll cook hot dogs..
I'm readying up some cotton, post a pic of that later.
rs28gcoil_1.0ohm_top.jpg rs28gcoil_1.0ohmb.jpg

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I found this posted on the internet, therefore it has to be true. :2cool: :vapor:

"Rayon still burns after the flame is removed, and although it has an odor similar to cotton or paper, it does not have an afterglow after removing it from the flame. Cotton produces an afterglow."

http://quilting.about.com/od/fabricembellishment/a/burn_test.htm

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Jd and others, I have been researching the burn tests and information on cotton and rayon. Found some videos too.'It appears so far with out further experiments that the fiber is rayon. Rayon is most commonly used in medicine/vitamin bottles, its cheaper. It is considered natural because its cellulose. I actually am trying it out right now. Will see how it goes and complete a proper burn test tomorrow. It was great to work with, very consistent.

e30ernest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Philippines
cotton in place
View attachment 254157
you think there is enough,, is placement OK??:confused:

That seems similar enough to my Nimbus. I've found that shorter tails work better. Looking at your picture, my wick to the left is cut and tucked to the well just in front of the left most screw. My right wick loops around the left screw and cut just long enough to make it into the side of the well.

No wicking issues with my setup.

I hope this helps. :)

Off topic, I found a local classified ad for a used Reo Grand for less than $100, comes with a Hornet atty, an EFest 18650, 3 juice bottles (one is installed) and an XTar charger. I'll wait a few days. If it isn't sold by then I'll take it as a sign that it's for me. :D I'm pretty sure the Mrs. won't be too happy on me spending on another mod though...

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
Lately I haven't even bothered to put the wick inside the coil. I just lay a bed of cotton under the coil that's high enough to touch it. Add juice and vape away. No need to wait for the juice to soak in, and it's easy to change the cotton between flavors. And the flavor is really clear without any cotton taste. This works well with a wick in the coil too. I throw a wick in when I go to work so I can get a few more drops in.

I think this is working so well for me because the bed of cotton regulates the supply of juice. It's much harder to drown it and this is giving me a consistent vape from beginning to end.

9873443726_725feb4fb1_b.jpg

Last edited:

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Couldn't you make one tail longer and let it ride up and around the inner sleeve? Might be worth a try.

I usually use cheese cloth and I also have some make up pads from when I tried those. If my Immortalizer clone ever gets here, I plan on cutting some forms from the pads that will fit over the top of the terminals and circle the inside of the inner chamber, along with cheese cloth for the wicks. Sort of a homemade mini spheroid. Might work, but if not, I might even try to pick up some of the serra wool (or whatever it's called) and try that.
I'm giving it a good try this morning starting with a very "normal" 26n coil and rolled cotton. I'll go from there, still testing.
You can drip quite a few drops in and it goes under the ceramic, now to see if it comes back out during vaping as the Fatty v3 claims to do.

This seems to be working quite well just the way I have it. I don't really have but maybe 10-12 mm of wick out each end of the coil.
543945_665677613456466_59303474_n.jpg

Look at the size of them screw heads.
I'm now a happy camper.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
On the rayon subject - more can be found here with a rayon or bamboo search. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous-90.html
Aunt Lydia's #10 is viscous bamboo - or rayon. I did find the rayon i got from vitamin bottle wicks A Lot faster and doesn't compress like cotton, but doesn't hold as much liquid. Seems great for my oddy clone so far since its a wicker not a Dripper. Literally no break in time.
Gdeal did a wicking test post 333 here http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...vivi-nova-rebuild-tutorial-9.html#post7320201
Also, what I'm using right now is straight up - I lightly boiled the rest and there was no residue.

(Any further discussion will be carried out in the wick materials thread, as not to muddy the micro coil waters :) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread