Status
Not open for further replies.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I Recieved my Ti order today. I've wrapped a nine wrap spaced coil with inner diam of 2,5 mm which turn to be about 2,8 with my coilmaster. I found much easier to do, than wrap it with my hand. Well... where did the taste go? I'm a flavour chaser, and I think I might be a little dissapointed. I can see the resistance climp up when the wire gets hot, on my istick 30, so I've set it to higher VV mode than I do with kanthal. As the resistance rises, the lower watt I get. Sounds like a preheat feature, doesn't it? Anyway, waiting for my Infinite VF to arrive and see how it vapes.
errr...you have probably overheated that coil so mke a new one for your VF! Have a good look at posts in this thread from Rossum, tchavei and the Bloke particulalry to get a feel for how to deal with Ti and TC vaping! Please dont use it on your istick!!!!!

SotosB

May 25, 2015
I didn't overheated it. I didn't even pulse it. I cleaned it, wraped it, put it in my atty, wicked it and vaped on it. Even the vape is cooler than canthal. I'm too careful not to overheat my coil. There's no change in color of the coil. Still the flavour is a lot weaker than with kanthal. I'm watching all the threads very carefully. I've seen others using Ti without temp control too so I wanted to give it a try.

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
I have this morning worked on my first proper Ti dual coil - proper in that it wasn't my first "what's all this about then?" builds and I pre-pulsed the coil to make it more malleable and to achieve that beautiful blue!

Here is a pictorial account of my Rhapsody In Blue.

The Pulsing Setup, Wire:

I have no torch, so I did the 'torching' with controlled pulsing.

I cut off slightly more than a coil-length - about 120mm - of 28G Ti Gr1 and curved it between two posts of a spare atty:​

The Pulsing Setup, Mod:

I used my Smok M80 as if I don't use it for this, what the hell else will I ever use it for? :)

I experimented with various wattages, starting as low as 5. I settled on 30W.

I found 30W to be a good figure that would turn the wire blue after a few seconds; quick enough to be convenient, not so quick as to risk overdoing it. Of course the exact figure will vary a little with the ohms of the wire in use.

The ohms you see here are after a pulse; the wire was about 0.45Ω when cold. If multiple pulses are done it's important to let the coil cool back to its base resistance, else the next fire is a lot stronger!​

Pulsed To Blue:

I held fire for a few seconds until the blue seemed consistent across the whole wire. The first time I was a little hesitant, and I could actually see the blue progress up the wire, and had a part-blue, part-yellow wire. Which was quite cool :) This is my second coil, and I held fire a little longer the first pulse and it seemed to go blue quicker. I still did a couple of pulses overall.

The wire removed to appreciate its blueness

After removing the wire I snipped off each end, which had not changed colour as they were the parts under/nearest the screws. That's a reason to put in slightly more wire than you plan to use for the resulting coil.​

Fairly easy to (mostly) straighten out

Fairly easy to get a (mostly) contact coil without too much trouble around my Kuro

Looking at it here it seems like one end is more black than blue. I'm not sure if that's the camera or if I didn't pulse this one quite right - slightly too much perhaps. My first was clearly blue the whole way.​

Dual coil setup on Vengeance:

8 x 3mm wraps of 28G, 0.40Ω per coil, 0.20Ω combined.

Bottom coil doesn't look very blue here but that's definitely the camera​

Final, Rayon-wicked build:

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I didn't overheated it. I didn't even pulse it. I cleaned it, wraped it, put it in my atty, wicked it and vaped on it. Even the vape is cooler than canthal. I'm too careful not to overheat my coil. There's no change in color of the coil. Still the flavour is a lot weaker than with kanthal. I'm watching all the threads very carefully. I've seen others using Ti without temp control too so I wanted to give it a try.
okeedokee!!

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Here's my third pulse-blue attempt. This time with 26G, resistance around 0.35Ω. I still did it at 30W so it took slightly longer - low resistance meaning lower volts @ 30W and slightly thicker wire as well. I tried to roughly count how long I did it and it was around 12 seconds, across several staggered pulses.

I'm actually more comfortable with that sort of time, I like knowing that it's not going to suddenly shift on me and that if I'm not 100% sure it's completely blue I can do another few seconds and hopefully won't take it too far (I do find it quite hard to see the blueness on such thin wire, I keep turning it around in the light and holding it against different backgrounds)

This one definitely shows up nice and blue all the way around in real life. In the photo once again it's only showing part blue, but this time I've 100% confirmed that that definitely is just my poor camera (it's only my mobile camera). The blue you can see in highlights in a couple of places in the pic is the colour of the whole wire (at least when it catches the light)

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
I have this morning worked on my first proper Ti dual coil - proper in that it wasn't my first "what's all this about then?" builds and I pre-pulsed the coil to make it more malleable and to achieve that beautiful blue!

The Pulsing Setup, Wire:

I cut off slightly more than a coil-length - about 120mm - of 28G Ti Gr1 and curved it between two posts of a spare atty:​

The Pulsing Setup, Mod:

I used my Smok M80 as if I don't use it for this, what the hell else will I ever use it for? :)

I found 30W to be a good figure that would turn the wire blue after a few seconds; quick enough to be convenient, not so quick as to risk overdoing it. Of course the exact figure will vary a little with the ohms of the wire in use.

The ohms you see here are after a pulse; the wire was about 0.45Ω when cold. If multiple pulses are done it's important to let the coil cool back to its base resistance, else the next fire is a lot stronger!​

Pulsed To Blue:

I held fire for a few seconds until the blue seemed consistent across the whole wire. The first time I was a little hesitant, and I could actually see the blue progress up the wire, and had a part-blue, part-yellow wire. Which was quite cool :) This is my second coil, and I held fire a little longer the first pulse and it seemed to go blue quicker. I still did a couple of pulses overall.

After removing the wire I snipped off each end, which had not changed colour as they were the parts under/nearest the screws. That's a reason to put in slightly more wire than you plan to use for the resulting coil.​

Fairly easy to get a (mostly) contact coil without too much trouble around my Kuro

Looking at it here it seems like one end is more black than blue. I'm not sure if that's the camera or if I didn't pulse this one quite right - slightly too much perhaps. My first was clearly blue the whole way.​

Best I have a go at this the weekend then && try the torch method too as the loooooooong boat from Germany has arrived :)

Titanium_zpsvjornr7w.jpg

My goal is pretty blue coils with yellow tails :nun: && if they vape good too will be a bonus :thumb:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Great to hear!

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on torching vs pulsing. I don't own a torch and the pulse seemed quite easy, but maybe torch has advantages. Well it definitely has one -- no need to fix the wire into an atty and put it on a mod @ 30W for pulsing. Probably a bit quicker and more convenient to whip out a torch.

A downside might be that it's harder to control and less repeatable. For a given length of a known wire thickness, I could theoretically blue it up with my eyes closed. Once I've calculated the exact time to fire it for that should work exactly the same, every time. In theory at least - in practice the wires will never be precisely the same length and possibly not even precisely the same thickness. Plus it might depend a little on ambient temperature. But it's definitely easily repeatable within a small margin of adjustment.

But maybe it's just as easy with a torch once you know how.

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Yeah think there will be benefits to both ways of doing it and will likely boil down to what's easiest / quickest

Am thinking the flame should consume most o2 released from the wire if I don't over do it

Where as heating through the mod will give me better control

Would like to have a play now, but too much going on kids/dog .... hopefully get a chance later

If not will be setting my alarm to get up before them all in the morning .... needs must :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I Recieved my Ti order today. I've wrapped a nine wrap spaced coil with inner diam of 2,5 mm which turn to be about 2,8 with my coilmaster. I found much easier to do, than wrap it with my hand. Well... where did the taste go? I'm a flavour chaser, and I think I might be a little dissapointed. I can see the resistance climp up when the wire gets hot, on my Istick 30, so I've set it to higher VV mode than I do with kanthal. As the resistance rises, the lower watt I get. Sounds like a preheat feature, doesn't it? Anyway, waiting for my Infinite VF to arrive and see how it vapes.
Grade 1 ti might not work that well with vw devices. In those cases, that mystery Ti alloy from GG works actually better (not probably safer, but who knows).

Spare your Ti for your TC mod :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal

The Pulsing Setup, Wire:

The Pulsing Setup, Mod:

Pulsed To Blue:

Nice builds and I guess you like blue hehehe :)

I torch my wire after doing the coil, not before. I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Cheers

Regards
Tony

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Great to hear!

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on torching vs pulsing. I don't own a torch and the pulse seemed quite easy, but maybe torch has advantages. Well it definitely has one -- no need to fix the wire into an atty and put it on a mod @ 30W for pulsing. Probably a bit quicker and more convenient to whip out a torch.

A downside might be that it's harder to control and less repeatable. For a given length of a known wire thickness, I could theoretically blue it up with my eyes closed. Once I've calculated the exact time to fire it for that should work exactly the same, every time. In theory at least - in practice the wires will never be precisely the same length and possibly not even precisely the same thickness. Plus it might depend a little on ambient temperature. But it's definitely easily repeatable within a small margin of adjustment.

But maybe it's just as easy with a torch once you know how.
Like I said, I torch afterwards while holding the coil compressed with ceramic tweezers. This kinda makes sense to me but if you can make a compressed coil right away, your solution seems good :)

Regards
Tony

Reactions: TheBloke

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Get in there :banana: 1st go with torching 5 wraps of 26awg on a 3mm bit & vaping just lush

Thanks all for such good info :toast: luving it

1_zpsqckrcepb.jpg

2_zpsf39k6svh.jpg

99_zpsbnhnhbdp.jpg

Have wound the TP up since to 330f

909_zpsm2jhvc54.jpg
Great coil :)

You're going to love it.

Speaking of which, did you guys notice 'something missing' when moving to a Ti coil?... Yeah... The taste of nickel and kanthal maybe? :)

Regards
Tony

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Great coil :)

You're going to love it.

Speaking of which, did you guys notice 'something missing' when moving to a Ti coil?... Yeah... The taste of nickel and kanthal maybe? :)

Regards
Tony

Thanks Tony

& Thanks for all the good info mate

I followed your way && torched once coiled in my ceramic tweezers

one side I gently toasted blue [bottom] and the other gold [top] :thumbs:

not been vaping it for long but tastes real good, no twang or after taste just a nice clean vape

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Nice builds and I guess you like blue hehehe :)

I torch my wire after doing the coil, not before. I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Like I said, I torch afterwards while holding the coil compressed with ceramic tweezers. This kinda makes sense to me but if you can make a compressed coil right away, your solution seems good :)

I like blue in general but I especially like it on coil wires - it looks, I dunno, "electric" and futuristic :)

OK that's interesting. I 'torched' first because I thought the torching process would make the wire easier to coil. And it did a bit I think, compared to how I remember it being the first couple I do. Still a little springy but workable.

It might be a bit harder for me to make the coil first then torch, as I need to do it on a mod. I suppose I can still do that with ceramic tweezers as it won't conduct/short. And that way I could actually pulse it on the destination atty so that might be quicker overall.

But didn't you find it quite tricky to make the coil in the first place, even though it wasn't contact? Just getting it coiled into the right size with legs the right way etc I found tricky the first times with 'virgin' wire. Maybe I just suck at coiling :) Do you use a coiler or do you do it round a screwdriver or similar?

Reactions: tchavei

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
I like blue in general but I especially like it on coil wires - it looks, I dunno, "electric" and futuristic :)

OK that's interesting. I 'torched' first because I thought the torching process would make the wire easier to coil. And it did a bit I think, compared to how I remember it being the first couple I do. Still a little springy but workable.

It might be a bit harder for me to make the coil first then torch, as I need to do it on a mod. I suppose I can still do that with ceramic tweezers as it won't conduct/short. And that way I could actually pulse it on the destination atty so that might be quicker overall.

But didn't you find it quite tricky to make the coil in the first place, even though it wasn't contact? Just getting it coiled into the right size with legs the right way etc I found tricky the first times with 'virgin' wire. Maybe I just suck at coiling :) Do you use a coiler or do you do it round a screwdriver or similar?
Yes, the coil doesn't form tight using Virgin Ti. However, once you have made the coil under tension, you hold both legs with your fingers and as you pull it out of the mandrel, you immediately hold it with a pair of tweezers... Now you can lightly torch it from one or both sides and the coil will hold shape.

Both ways seem to work so choose the way that seems better/easier for you :)

Edit: I just use a coil jig those old ones... A block with a hole for your mandrel.

Regards
Tony

Quantum Mech

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Having just blitzed half a tank of juice down to nothing as it tasted so good
Thought best check the cotton && wire

Stripped down the tank && washed in hot water
Cotton as new with no marks atall && the coil is like brand new too !
It don't even look like its been used, its spotless

Will do the same tomorrow when I have day light && finished the tank full am about to fill
As artificial light && my phone camera don't seem to work well

Can see replacing coils on a regular basis becoming a thing of the past with Ti :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread