Titanium wire, vaping and safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Is there any other concern with Titanium wire except from Titanium Dioxide? Is there any possibility that titanium-44 (radioactive isotope) can be formed during vaping? Any other cons?

Other than overheating Ti when attempting ro dryburn the coils I'm not aware of any health concerns.

Note: If Ti gets too hot during a dryburn it can ignite and go off like a flash bulb. Don't ask how I know:p.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Yeah, I know. I ignited too... :p
If you have a DNA you can set up a "Ti Dryburn" profile as I have. Create a material profile with a tcr of .007 and set temp to 300°C (600°f). Set the wattage to 50 watts. When you get ready to dryburn just use that profile and you can hold the fire button as long as you like with no concerns about overheating the wire. The wire temp will be limited to approximately 1150°f .
You can do the same thing with any mod which has "memory modes" and adjustable tcr eg Joyetech and Wismec.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
The legs , and indeed the outermost wraps dont really contribute at all to vapour production in either a kanthal or a TC build..

On a spaced coil, the outer legs are definitely cooler than the center. The below was measured with a thermocouple and a calibrated instrument. Merlin RTA on a DNA200. SS 430 coil, 26 awg, a 5/6 wrap, 3mm diameter, 0.317 ohms, rayon wick. The atty was closed up (after taking the pic) and actually vaped at 400f on a DNA200 for the tests.

Testing the ends of coil vs center:

Both tests on a TC mod set at 400f.

Note, pay attention to graph, not the digital readout as there was a delay for me to get the screencaps.

Center:
test3_zpsymn2myho.jpg

upload_2017-7-24_11-21-29.jpeg

Ends:
upload_2017-7-24_11-19-44.png

upload_2017-7-24_11-19-30.png

I have observed similar results with TI, which what I usually run.

Last edited:

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
If you have a DNA you can set up a "Ti Dryburn" profile as I have. Create a material profile with a tcr of .007 and set temp to 300°C (600°f). Set the wattage to 50 watts. When you get ready to dryburn just use that profile and you can hold the fire button as long as you like with no concerns about overheating the wire. The wire temp will be limited to approximately 1150°f .
You can do the same thing with any mod which has "memory modes" and adjustable tcr eg Joyetech and Wismec.
I just switch my material to NI and run it up to 600. TI on a NI setting of 600 will get 700-800f.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I use 20-22 gauge Titanium, which is pretty hard, and can easily be brushed off. I also use a ceramic wick rather than cotton.

How exactly are you guys dry-burning? it seemed to take forever for me to burn everything off.

Also curious what is the black stuff that forms on the coils, and how can we minimize its forming in the first place?
Didnt see this answered, so...

The black stuff is burnt juice. If you vape unflavored you wont see much of it. Flavorings, additives like salt or citric acid, and especially sweeteners are prone to build the carbonized gunk.

I am curious about your ceramic wick. Can you show a pic? I used to use AO ceramic back in the genny days, cleanest flavor of any wick material I have ever tried.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
On a spaced coil, the outer legs are definitely cooler than the center. The below was measured with a thermocouple and a calibrated instrument. Merlin RTA on a DNA200. SS 430 coil, 26 awg, a 5/6 wrap, 3mm diameter, 0.317 ohms, rayon wick. The atty was closed up (after taking the pic) and actually vaped at 400f on a DNA200 for the tests.

Testing the ends of coil vs center:

Both tests on a TC mod set at 400f.

Note, pay attention to graph, not the digital readout as there was a delay for me to get the screencaps.

Center:
test3_zpsymn2myho.jpg

View attachment 674243

Ends:
View attachment 674241
View attachment 674239

I have observed similar results with TI, which what I usually run.

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. No surprise really with the posts heatsinking the heat away from the end wraps, the greater juice availability near the ends of the coil vs. the center and the fact that the end wraps are only receiving radiant heat from one adjacent wrap instead of two. Still great to see with real measurements. If you did the same measurements with a contact coil of equal wraps you would see variance too but with greater deviation per linear mm of coil length.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I still have a bunch of Bodens BD13 Al2O3 wicks. :)
I wasnt so lucky, he only sent me two (for which I was grateful), then I had to learn how to make them myself. A bit of a PITA, but they sure vape good.

Are you using a genny?

DSCN0593_zps27dfc5d4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread