Looking for my first mech...suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
MarkCM You've received a lot of great advice in this thread from very experienced members however it's generally NOT about what we think or use. It's about what YOU are comfortable with.

I would visit your B&M and bring your rda. Then have them show you exactly which adjustments you have to make. Different strokes for different folks. :) Adjust for bat rattle/contact. Adjust for the 510 pin connection on your topper. Adjust or not the switch/fire button. How does it feel? Your color preference? How does it fire in your hand. How much of a throw to fire and how many turns to lock the little devil.

As previously stated, it's all subjective to a large degree so you need to thoroughly try before you buy for your first mech. It's also OK to purchase and then later discover you don't like it. vaping is a journey full of trial and error so get going to your local B&M. /semi joke /lol

Good luck!

Reactions: MarkCM

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
MarkCM You've received a lot of great advice in this thread from very experienced members however it's generally NOT about what we think or use. It's about what YOU are comfortable with.

I would visit your B&M and bring your RDA. Then have them show you exactly which adjustments you have to make. Different strokes for different folks. :) Adjust for bat rattle/contact. Adjust for the 510 pin connection on your topper. Adjust or not the switch/fire button. How does it feel? Your color preference? How does it fire in your hand. How much of a throw to fire and how many turns to lock the little devil.

As previously stated, it's all subjective to a large degree so you need to thoroughly try before you buy for your first mech. It's also OK to purchase and then later discover you don't like it. Vaping is a journey full of trial and error so get going to your local B&M. /semi joke /lol

Good luck!

The advice we give here is a basic starting point, using our experience with different devices.
B&Ms are a good place to hold a mod in your hand before making a decision, but they are not the best place to purchase, and are a notoriously bad place to get advice.

The good info will be found here, where we don't get paid to make a sale.;)

2naphish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
the boro, Tennessee
anything from Bay city Vapor. i have used them almost exclusively for 2 years. if i have ever needed a part (rarely) it's at my doorstep in 2 days. the only time i wore out a part it was replaced free of charge including shipping. spare parts on the website plus the coolest folks i have ever dealt with.it just doesn't get any better than that IMO. GL

MarkCM

Sep 4, 2015
Held a couple in my hand today. The king...might be v1, not 100 % sure but it had king on it. He stated the same thing you did ninja, not getting a hybrid or direct to battery as a newbie to mechs. He also showed me the OG Republic authentics they have (my favorite so far) and also suggested a ragakron( not sure if thats the right spelling). Going to go back and get one when I get $ in. Thanks for the advice guys. I will post again when i make a purchase. Thanks!

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Held a couple in my hand today. The king...might be v1, not 100 % sure but it had king on it. He stated the same thing you did ninja, not getting a hybrid or direct to battery as a newbie to mechs. He also showed me the OG Republic authentics they have (my favorite so far) and also suggested a ragakron( not sure if thats the right spelling). Going to go back and get one when I get $ in. Thanks for the advice guys. I will post again when i make a purchase. Thanks!

Ragnarok ( as in the Norse end of the world).
Not a bad mod at all. Lots of those around here too.

MarkCM

Sep 4, 2015
Just wanted to add that if the king you checked out where without recessed button and had that 6-sided-bolt shape up-top, then it was a v1 not v2... ;) Outstanding "little" device(v2)...
Yeah i think it was the v1. It had "king" worded on it vertically which ibe only seen v1 have. What do you guys know of the og republic mod? Does anyone here have one? The local shop has them for a little more expensive than on ebay(they also branded it with one of their eliquids) and since its in store, i figure thats another reason for thr price tag. I got to take a hit off it and its solid and fits nice in the hand. Any other suggestions? Or opinions on the republic mod by og?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Yeah i think it was the v1. It had "king" worded on it vertically which ibe only seen v1 have. What do you guys know of the og republic mod? Does anyone here have one? The local shop has them for a little more expensive than on ebay(they also branded it with one of their eliquids) and since its in store, i figure thats another reason for thr price tag. I got to take a hit off it and its solid and fits nice in the hand. Any other suggestions? Or opinions on the republic mod by og?
Thumbs down. I have one. No battery rattle adjustment. It's not a bad piece of gear, but it is bare bones, which is why it is so cheap. I am also personally prejudiced against aluminum mods. I'd rather have stainless, brass or copper. But that's just me. Something about the weight of an aluminum mod feels wrong to me.

dhomes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2012
Austin, TX
for a first mech, i'd recommend an Aria Oros v2, Brass Petri Mod or black cerakoted SubZero shorty mod

all of these hit hard, no hybrid connection (since you are new to them i wouldnt recommend such dev) and have real nice switches (specially the petri)

The Oros is noW $95, i got two and bought the second 'blem', couldn't tell the difference with the regular. They used to be more expensive and i think they are clearing inventory for a V3

The other two are more expensive ($175 ~ $200) but dont have a lock mechanism (although neither have ever fired while on my pocket)

if you are set on a hybrid, man the Aria Rune is a great mod for $75, i'd buy another any day over the Aria Standard. nice switch, Copper, Cerakoted

hope that helps

Last edited:

MarkCM

Sep 4, 2015
Made my first two mech mod purchases today:

Beyond Vape Beacon Mod Copper [bv-bea-mod-cop] - $30.00 : Beyond Vape, Premium Vaporizers and E-Cigarettes
Beyond Vape Beacon Copper Mod - couldn't pass up an authentic at such a discount and seems like a reliable and solid beginner style mech mod.

King V2 Style Mechanical MOD - 88eVape
King V2 Style Mechanical Mod - Satin Stainless steel finish. This is the cheapest I could find this mod from a US vendor and is the knurled version. @Bad Ninja you got another person into the King V2 fan club haha.

In addition to these mech purchases, I got 4 Sony VTC5 batteries and a Inline Volt Meter. Want to be as safe as possible with the best possible batteries I could find. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys...I'll post pictures of the mods when I receive them in. :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Made my first two mech mod purchases today:

Beyond Vape Beacon Mod Copper [bv-bea-mod-cop] - $30.00 : Beyond Vape, Premium Vaporizers and E-Cigarettes
Beyond Vape Beacon Copper Mod - couldn't pass up an authentic at such a discount and seems like a reliable and solid beginner style mech mod.

King V2 Style Mechanical MOD - 88eVape
King V2 Style Mechanical Mod - Satin Stainless steel finish. This is the cheapest I could find this mod from a US vendor and is the knurled version. @Bad Ninja you got another person into the King V2 fan club haha.

In addition to these mech purchases, I got 4 Sony VTC5 batteries and a Inline Volt Meter. Want to be as safe as possible with the best possible batteries I could find. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help guys...I'll post pictures of the mods when I receive them in. :)
Just remember that the vtc5 is a 20 amp battery. For really high drain you'll want the Sony vtc4 or LG hb4.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

MarkCM

Sep 4, 2015
Just remember that the vtc5 is a 20 amp battery. For really high drain you'll want the Sony vtc4 or LG hb4.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Isnt the vtc 4 and 5 rated for 30 amps each? The difference between only hoe much vaping time one gets. Regardless, i typically never push past 15 amps ever, so wouldnt be an issue either way.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country

MarkCM

Sep 4, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread