Age verification required when ordering zero nic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Now I've seen everything. I put in my ENTIRE order including my credit card number and THEN they ask for age verification! I'M ORDERING ZERO NIC! They asked me to do some garbage with a cell phone and my driver's license. I take pictures with a camera, not my phone. That was after they claimed they could verify my age as long as I gave them my real birthday, which I did. I'm thinking of cancelling my credit card and filing a police report. I've been vape shopping since 2011 and have never been put through such malarkey FOR ZERO NIC. I'm 60 years old!

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The specter of underage vaping is the stick being used now, by scaremongers, to pummel vapers and the vaping industry, and to justify bans and restrictions. It shouldn't be surprising that the retailers are being extra cautious right now. The demands are certainly ridiculous given the details you've provided, but try not to take it personally. It's no doubt a blanket policy, and they did offer to make an exception in exchange for your honest word.

The retailer wants (if necessary) to be able to sincerely testify before a court of law that they conduct age verification on every order.

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I did the same thing at a vape place I where I was trying to buy a thingy to convert a flat top battery to button top I was NOT pleased when that popped up after entering all my information. I wish I remembered the place that did that to me, it was quite a while ago, but it would be nice if you'd name the place that did it to you so others can avoid the headache.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
On that vein Letitia, I suppose it's like buying a lighter or matches. Neither have nicotine but both can contribute to under age use of a tobacco product.

I'm waiting for the day I get carded by buying 3 boxes of band aids because the government limits it to two because kids are sniffing the adhesive or something. In my state you have to age verify to buy Nyquil now.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm thinking of cancelling my credit card and filing a police report. I've been vape shopping since 2011 and have never been put through such malarkey FOR ZERO NIC. I'm 60 years old!
What would be the basis for a police report? Have you been robbed? The vendor is just playing things safe as far as the various regulations go. Whether zero-nic or not, e-liquid is considered a "tobacco product" by the FDA.

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
It's just, oh good grief, what are we coming to in this country? Yes, the FDA is that idiotic to consider a liquid w/o nicotine to be a "tobacco " product. It's just sickening. It certainly felt like the site was merely trying to harvest my information . Why not do the age verification BEFORE I hand over my credit card number? I've made many purchases this last month and that was the first time ever I was asked to verify my age. We have elected utter ...... to run our country. What does that say about us?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I've made many purchases this last month and that was the first time ever I was asked to verify my age.

If those "many purchases this last month" were for vaping products...those vendors not requiring age verification, are perfect examples of exactly why many who are opposed to underage vaping are pushing to ban online sales of vaping related items. I don't understand getting upset with those vendors who do require it, in the hopes that it helps keep online buying available to us! Just my :2c: though.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I kind of agree. I'm just not that offended to age verify. My biggest hassle is not getting a blurred pic of my license. I think if all online vendors did this they could band together and be like, "We are COMPLYING with trying to keep teens away from vaping."

I do understand the government's rationale here. If you are going to "ban" something but not everything associated with it, it becomes like all those "water pipes" you can buy legally from any head shop anywhere, but like, "Nooo…. big tobacco and politics are smarter than that." They are. They want to make vaping as DIFFICULT as possible, whereas there was not big "Hemp lobby" fighting the MJ folks.

I hate to say it, but I think vaping is going to be a lot harder to win because it has a LARGE OPPONENT. Marijuana only BRINGS money into the state's coffers.

The main reason I would like "Legalize EVERYTHING" is because (other than the harm reduction aspect) it puts everything on a LEVEL playing field.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Online age verification started up a few years ago, I believe it was 2016 or 2017 when it went fully into effect. I took a photo of my ID back then, have a copy on it on my phone and on my PC so whenever I order from someplace I haven't age verified with already (most keep that stuff on record if you passed age verification) I simply upload it if it's necessary. I think my DL expires in 2020 so when I get a new one I'll update the photo.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Online age verification started up a few years ago, I believe it was 2016 or 2017 when it went fully into effect.

2016. And out friend @tmcase started a very helpful thread on the subject:

List of vendors Age Verification requirements.

basically listing all vendors and their respective methods of age verification.

What I learned from that thread was to:

1. Absolutely refuse to do business with vendors who require a picture of me holding my DL. :facepalm: Just say no and send them an email that they just lost a sale and suggest better ways to verify age--many of us have done so and most vendors abandoned that practice.

2. Generally resist requests for pictures of my DL--again, there are better ways. If the site still demands a picture of DL and I can't get what I want from a different vendor, I might send them a picture but cover the DL number and my picture, they don't need that--they need just the name, DOB and address. I think I had to do it a couple of times but only to claim my prize after winning a contest here on ECF. :lol: Never with a vendor.

3. Use the vendors who conduct easy and painless age verification systems whenever possible. They already have all the information they need to do that.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Why not do the age verification BEFORE I hand over my credit card number?

Because they use your cc number to verify your age. The only reason I can think of why they would need a copy of your DL is if they can't verify your data against the databases--which may be the case with young people who don't have an established record. But for the rest of us, let's face it--if you have an established address, own a home, bank accounts, credit cards, etc., your name is in the database. All the vendor really needs to verify your age is your name, DOB, cc#, and billing address. And that is all I'm willing to give them when I shop.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
2016. And out friend @tmcase started a very helpful thread on the subject:

List of vendors Age Verification requirements.

basically listing all vendors and their respective methods of age verification.

What I learned from that thread was to:

1. Absolutely refuse to do business with vendors who require a picture of me holding my DL. :facepalm: Just say no and send them an email that they just lost a sale and suggest better ways to verify age--many of us have done so and most vendors abandoned that practice.

2. Generally resist requests for pictures of my DL--again, there are better ways. If the site still demands a picture of DL and I can't get what I want from a different vendor, I might send them a picture but cover the DL number and my picture, they don't need that--they need just the name, DOB and address. I think I had to do it a couple of times but only to claim my prize after winning a contest here on ECF. :lol: Never with a vendor.

3. Use the vendors who conduct easy and painless age verification systems whenever possible. They already have all the information they need to do that.

I remember that list, and you’re correct, it was 2016. I also cover the DL number in the photo, but in truth, it doesn’t matter. That is publicly available information from your state DMV so there really is no privacy protection by doing so.

The hold the ID thing happened after some nut testified at an FDA public comment hearing how her son was able to get her husband’s credit card number and photo of hubby’s DL and how irresponsible it was the order was filled and shipped. :rolleyes:

So some vendors took to proving it wasn’t a 14 year old with dad’s DL placing the order. It’s insane but vendors are doing what they can to cover themselves. You would think using an age verification system like Veratad or Experian was enough, but paranoia breeds irrational behavior. But even with that, the likelihood of identity theft is really no greater risk than in any other transaction these days, as the data is already out there for someone who wants to mine for your identity information.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Now I've seen everything. I put in my ENTIRE order including my credit card number and THEN they ask for age verification! I'M ORDERING ZERO NIC! They asked me to do some garbage with a cell phone and my driver's license. I take pictures with a camera, not my phone. That was after they claimed they could verify my age as long as I gave them my real birthday, which I did. I'm thinking of cancelling my credit card and filing a police report. I've been vape shopping since 2011 and have never been put through such malarkey FOR ZERO NIC. I'm 60 years old!
You're going to be hard-pressed to find any American company that's not going to make you jump through this hoop. I've had companies that a month ago I've made a purchase with no problem and this time I was asked for a picture of my ID in a selfie I haven't taken a selfie in 7 years I don't do selfies but I did it for this company because I wanted my product but not without asking them exactly how they were going to put my information etcetera and they informed me that I am welcome to block out all areas of my driver's license other than my name and my age and my picture so I felt that that was fair and went through with it. The days of being able to get these things online are almost over in my opinion I hope I'm wrong as far as I know wire is not classified as a nicotine or tobacco product and I still had to give an ID so that's just the way it is it doesn't matter what the product is your purchasing if they are primarily a vape store they're going to card you electronically unless you purchase from out of country so it is giving them the advantage isn't it

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    as far as I know wire is not classified as a nicotine or tobacco product
    In 2016 the FDA deemed anything sold in a vape shop a "tobacco" product.
    Screws, o-rings, wire, glass, driptips, etc. are considered a tobacco product and will need PMTA approval.

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    In 2016 the FDA deemed anything sold in a vape shop a "tobacco" product.
    Screws, o-rings, wire, glass, driptips, etc. are considered a tobacco product and will need PMTA approval.

It's a mess, isn't it? If you buy wire from Temco, organic cotton, chargers, VG, PG, etc. from Amazon, flavorings from Bull City, batteries from battery vendors recommended by Mooch, and screws and o-rings from any online or hardware store, no age verification required. Buy the same stuff from a vape shop, you have to verify your age. :facepalm:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Waiting until the end is sneaky, yeah.

Most DO it painlessly but for me it has been a LOT more lately-- this is because my car and car insurance is still registered in Pima Co, and etc. My primary house is there. So I have to use my Douglas address for like, most things, and it ls listed as a SECONDARY address with the MVA, but it's secondary. So age verification gets all confused because since I don't have a BOA in Douglas, I had to change my bank address to here.

I am also starting to think I might be cursed. Some site "pinged" my credit card and I found this out like, by getting my card declined at Walmart (there was a really recent text but I had not seen it.) Then I couldn't unlock my card manually and I guess Sunday night is a busy night for fraud because I was on hold for like 45 minutes. It sucked. But, I literally NEEDED the food.

It may be time to join the Douglas Federal Credit Union although I have heard mixed things. I will NEVER go back to Well's Fargo AGAIN. Oooh…. those things suck. I mean yeah, it's good to be proactive and all but I was just standing there in clogs on cold hard Douglas concrete. I wanted to do yoga and buy snus but... IDK. I drank a soothing cup of Therflu and maybe I'll do half or something. Maybe it's my Creator protecting me from something.

Man though yeah I'm gonna have to change banks.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread