Morning
Did some filtering this weekend:
Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sliced - PipesandCigars.com
Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Rum Twist - PipesandCigars.com
GL Pease JackKnife - PipesandCigars.com
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - PipesandCigars.com
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - PipesandCigars.com
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake - PipesandCigars.com

I'll be making the concoctions over this week and next weekend. The last of this batch will also get filtered next weekend:
Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake - PipesandCigars.com
Sutliff Voodoo Queen - PipesandCigars.com
All cold PG maceration 8-9 weeks then nutsack, coffee filter, and Ahlstrom Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 micrometer Retention, Medium Flow, Grade 601: Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This'll be it until probably March when the next batch is ready. Looking forward to all of these. I'll post reviews once I get them mixed.

Having a blast with this!

I still can't believe you extracted the very ones I will try to extract next! What a wonderful assortment. :thumbs:

Reactions: 67Tele

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Yep 140F for three days, with about the same results. Personally I like lower temperatures for longer soak periods better for flavor though.

I agree the the lower temperature. In fact, some of my extractions turned out with a better taste/flavor using the cold method, using long time periods, then doing them using the hot method.....

patioclark

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Lafayette, CO USA
I've kind of settled in on 130F for 5 days for cigars and three days for pipes. I'm using a hot plate now with a covered pot because it seems to provide a steadier temperature. I'm cycling as well. I turn it on early in the morning and unplug it at night. I haven't tried the PGA methods yet. I let it all cool down and then put a jar in the microwave for 30 seconds and filter through the coffee filters that came with the Aeropress. Then same program with an Alstrohm 2.5.

Gonna try the PGA after I sample some of Str8's work.

Reactions: Str8vision

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Recently I got a sample of The Raven from NET.com: the Raven ...really dug it and ordered a big bottle which is still hanging out getting ready. It seemed to hit all the good things being complex but well blended flavors. Strong but, not overbearing.

Looking around P&C filtering by wrapper origin then filler origin, for a cigar that fit Clay's description I ran across this: Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro - PipesandCigars.com which appears to have the same tastes. What do you all think?

Thanks!

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Recently I got a sample of The Raven from NET.com: the Raven ...really dug it and ordered a big bottle which is still hanging out getting ready. It seemed to hit all the good things being complex but well blended flavors. Strong but, not overbearing.

Looking around P&C filtering by wrapper origin then filler origin, for a cigar that fit Clay's description I ran across this: Partagas 1845 Extra Oscuro - PipesandCigars.com which appears to have the same tastes. What do you all think?

Thanks!

Hope the Raven turns out for you, as many cigar liquids fail the taste test for me :censored:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
Since I like the flavor of drambuie ( the liquour) I thought it would make for a good "flavorant"...
to see if it would reduce down a bit, I placed an ounce in a small ceramic cup in the microwave... heated it up for about 40 seconds... the alcohol evapped almost instantly, then a few seconds later the water began to boil off...
which left a syrup... smelled heavenly but when it cooled off it pretty much crystalized... never realized drambuie had that much sugar in it ( Im guessing 30 -40% sugars/honey) so much for using it as an additive to make things tasty..... :(

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Since I like the flavor of drambuie ( the liquour) I thought it would make for a good "flavorant"...
to see if it would reduce down a bit, I placed an ounce in a small ceramic cup in the microwave... heated it up for about 40 seconds... the alcohol evapped almost instantly, then a few seconds later the water began to boil off...
which left a syrup... smelled heavenly but when it cooled off it pretty much crystalized... never realized drambuie had that much sugar in it ( Im guessing 30 -40% sugars/honey) so much for using it as an additive to make things tasty..... :(

I'm sitting here wondering if those sugar crystals would pose a problem in filtering even before it was "boiled" down.....

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Still trying to catch up on this thread. Might even go back and take notes...
Very new to making my own NET's. Using eight weeks cold maceration, and triple filtering using funnel and lab papers, I have found a few that I really like.
All of which came from pipesandcigars.com.
HPCS Trout Stream - sweet and mild. Cavendish Blend with Butterscotch top note. I am really enjoying this one.
Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish - more Virginia than Oriental, still smooth tobacco flavor.
H&H Louisiana Red - delightful flavor. smooth and rich.
These are all very new, and some may change up on me in the weeks and months to come. I have a total of 11 extractions from my first batch. If I can get three of four 'success' flavors out of this first trial, I would consider that a win :thumb:

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Hey guys. Just throwing some progress out there on a few blends I been working on.

Solani Aged Burley Flake #656 @ 4%
Dunhill The Royal Yacht @ 4%
Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye (190 Ethanol Extract) @ 4%
FA Bitter Wizard @ 1% (measured @ 30 drops/ml)
FA Oak Wood @ .5% (measured @ 30 drops/ml)
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic Kayfun Lite v2 Dual Air w/8-32 i.d. spaced coil @ 0.95 ohm KGD cotton 16w

Made up 55 ml bottle. For me this is one of the best tobacco smok's I've mixed up. I can't stay out of it long enough to let it age. But it keeps getting better as I vape it. I'm gonna have to mix up a couple of big bottles so I can put some back for 6 months or so. After finding some blends that I left over the summer, while taking a break from the net's, I found that these blends totally change over longer periods, say 6 months versus a one or 2 month rest. And for the better I must say. Have a few days off over the weekend so I'm going to be mixing. Also have 4 heated ethanol extracts to get separated and into the freezer to start their journey. A 50/50 blend of Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish and Blending- Smyrna, G.L.Pease Union Square, G.L.Pease Jackknife, and La Brumeuse Semois - Shag Cut. I did these at a lower temp steep. First I did a 24hr cold soak and then went to 125 degrees in the dehydrator for 84 hrs. and now they've been cold resting since Monday morning. I'll separate, coffee filter, bottle and put in freezer today.

An observation on the FA Oak Wood and FA Bitter Wizard. I've only used them in the one blend but I believe they're going to be game changers for me. FA has nailed this Oak Wood flavor. It smells and tastes exactly like fresh split red oak (if you've ever smelled a freshly split, pile of Red Oak) and the Bitter Wizard does exactly what it claims to do, reduces any sweetness in the blend. Just as a little (on the tongue) taste test I sampled both individually to get some idea how they actually taste and then combined them together for a little taste. Mixed, they were great together. I may actually try using the Oak Wood at a little higher % or as a stand alone, but the BW @ 1% seems about right, I'll probably sample them up to 2%, but that may be too high. Disclaimer: Of course taste is subjective and ymmv! But this works great for me. These lower percentages seem to get me closer to a real tobacco smoke, which is what I'm chasing, and a considerable improvement in wick and coil life.

Here is a couple others I mixed but have about blown through 55 ml of them before they've aged properly. lol!

American Spirit Organic (Gold) @4%
Orlik Golden Sliced @3%
Blending-Dark Fired Kentucky @3%
Gawith,Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye (190 Ethanol Extract) @2%
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic

Solani Aged Burley Flake #656 @ 3%
Dunhill The Royal Yacht @ 3%
Samuel Gawith 1792 @ 4% (190 Ethanol Extract)
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic

^This one is a favorite!^ The SG 1792 is just fantastic!

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Hey guys. Just throwing some progress out there on a few blends I been working on.

Solani Aged Burley Flake #656 @ 4%
Dunhill The Royal Yacht @ 4%
Gawith and Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye (190 Ethanol Extract) @ 4%
FA Bitter Wizard @ 1% (measured @ 30 drops/ml)
FA Oak Wood @ .5% (measured @ 30 drops/ml)
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic Kayfun Lite v2 Dual Air w/8-32 i.d. spaced coil @ 0.95 ohm KGD cotton 16w

Here is a couple others I mixed but have about blown through 55 ml of them before they've aged properly. lol!

American Spirit Organic (Gold) @4%
Orlik Golden Sliced @3%
Blending-Dark Fired Kentucky @3%
Gawith,Hoggarth Dark Birds Eye (190 Ethanol Extract) @2%
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic

Solani Aged Burley Flake #656 @ 3%
Dunhill The Royal Yacht @ 3%
Samuel Gawith 1792 @ 4% (190 Ethanol Extract)
60/40 pg/vg @ 12ml/nic

^This one is a favorite!^ The SG 1792 is just fantastic!

just a quick reply to a tobacco co. you mentioned. I wish the Gawith-Hoggarth company would make available a long missing form of there "strong" rope tobaccos soon. I have heard from others that have extracted them, in the past, that they are wonderful. Unfortunately they have been unavailable for some time from various dealers.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
An observation on the FA Oak Wood and FA Bitter Wizard.
Thanks for this (& your blends!..), I've been wondering if the Oak Wood would be worth experimenting with...think I'll get some!

I've just been disappointed after looking on the tobacco site (in UK) that I use...They've stopped selling 5g. 'samples' of the single varietal 'blending tobaccos'. I wanted some more Latakia...I can still get 50g. .....!

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
just a quick reply to a tobacco co. you mentioned. I wish the Gawith-Hoggarth company would make available a long missing form of there "strong" rope tobaccos soon. I have heard from others that have extracted them, in the past, that they are wonderful. Unfortunately they have been unavailable for some time from various dealers.

I wonder if it's just a seasonal thing or if it's just made in limited supply and gets scooped up quick. I'd love to get my hands on the G,W Black Irish X and a couple others, too.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Interesting on the oak wood. I've been kicking around the idea of extracting my own....

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I guess you could extract wood for a flavor? Would you just whittle it into shavings and proceed like tobacco? I have considered roasting (not quite to the point of burning them), Hickory flakes to add to a tobacco extract. Nothing like building a fire in the fireplace with Hickory and then walking out on the front porch to smell that wonderful smoke it puts out. Wish I could get that in a vape. lol!

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
I'd do maybe quarter inch toasted white oak sticks in ethanol, then reduce as we do with tobacco. Toast them at 400 is to caramelize the natural sugars, then follow the same basic process, using the finished extract as an additive.

Think it'd work?

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
I'd do maybe quarter inch toasted white oak sticks in ethanol, then reduce as we do with tobacco. Toast them at 400 is to caramelize the natural sugars, then follow the same basic process, using the finished extract as an additive.

Think it'd work?

I know it works for making flavored schnapps,but it takes almost a year to get the flavor out.

-Kingboomer

Reactions: usr/

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
There is an old thread on the subject of oak flavored tobacco. I will post a link if I manage to find it. As I recall, there are small oak barrels you could buy to soak your liquid. For a smokey taste, I use Flavor Art's Black Fire Tobacco. All it takes is .5%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread