Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I can add Cornell & Diehl "Poplar Camp" to the list of tobaccos that extract well, smooth yet robust blend of Cavendish, Perique and Virginia tobaccos. Just tasted some extracted by patioclark and it was extremely good.

I've got 5 extractions at the freeze filtering stage, three are new to me. Sutliff Court of St. James, Rocky Patel Autumn Reserve 2008 and a Gran Habano Connecticut. The St James smells like it might be Latakia heavy.

I'd be interested in hearing the reviews/opinions of the tobaccos mentioned today, you guys listed several that I haven't tried yet. I almost bought the GL Pease JackKnife but opted to try GL Pease Cumberland - PipesandCigars.com instead. There are several blends from the GL Pease line I'll try in the future.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Peter Stokkebi Turkish

I love the taste of this tobacco, but only in a pipe or cigarette. I doubt if it will yield much flavor as an extract.

BTW, I think you were the one who mentioned Perique. It's one of my favorites, but it might be best if you ordered the dry leaves instead of the pipe tobacco variety from P&C. Some of these tobaccos have ammonia added to enhance their nicotine hit. In fact I think a good portion of them do - at least the ones sold as RYO such as PS Turkish. LeafOnly has Perique in 1/4 pound quantity for $16 - well worth the price.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Thanks! I'd forgotten about Leaf Only. Good advice about getting the unaltered dry leaves for learning single varietals.
ETA: How does the 1/4 lb come? Is it a single leaf or already torn down?

1/4 pound is anywhere between 4-6 large leaves. Don't know about Perique, but everything else I have bought from them has come intact - not torn down.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
ExchanerUltra Member
the "raw" leaves do not translate like the processed ones in, say pipe tobacco, to e-liquid.
I believe the Perique leaves have gone through the traditional cask aging though.

Yes of course, Perique leaves have been aged in wooden barrels for up to one year, but they have not been "processed" with any casings/flavors/top notes like their pipe tobacco counter parts. I'm not sure though what you mean by "translate". If you mean dry leaves do not yield good extracts for e-liquids, I have done a dozen of them with good results.

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Yes of course, Perique leaves have been aged in wooden barrels for up to one year, but they have not been "processed" with any casings/flavors/top notes like their pipe tobacco counter parts. I'm not sure though what you mean by "translate". If you mean dry leaves do not yield good extracts for e-liquids, I have done a dozen of them with good results.

Hi Exchanger, I meant the raw leaves taste like the variety they they are and do turn out an enjoyable liquid. However, pipe tobacco of a certain tobacco often are processed/cased/ "flavorized" (fruits, candies,etc.) and do not represent the leaf itself. So to compare the two I simply stated one does not translate like the other....

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Yes of course, Perique leaves have been aged in wooden barrels for up to one year, but they have not been "processed" with any casings/flavors/top notes like their pipe tobacco counter parts.

Read again my quote: "I believe the Perique leaves have gone through the traditional cask aging though." I didn't mention Processed in regards to Perique. Processed was mentioned in the previous sentence in regards to pipe tobacco.......

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
unnamed.jpg

4noggins: 4noggins.com - Powered by Network Solutions.

A bit confusing. The email subject said 20%. The pic says 10%.

ETA:"Our apologies for the error in the previous subject line - the discount is 10% off Cornell & Diehl bulk tobaccos" hehe

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I have tried over 40 tobaccos till yet and most of them are disappointing. There are only 2 cigars and 2 rolling tobaccos i have liked.

My best ones are american spirit organic and peter stokkebye turkish. I am trying rolling tobaccos now, because pipe seems not to be my taste.

Is here anybody who has the same taste and some success with rolling tobaccos ?

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I have tried over 40 tobaccos till yet and most of them are disappointing. There are only 2 cigars and 2 rolling tobaccos i have liked.

My best ones are american spirit organic and peter stokkebye turkish. I am trying rolling tobaccos now, because pipe seems not to be my taste.

Is here anybody who has the same taste and some success with rolling tobaccos ?

I have tried Organic spirit and like it a lot. Didn't think the Turkish would extract well because of its mild flavor. But I may give it a try now that you mentioned it. How do you compare the two in terms of flavor intensity?

If you are into rolling tobaccos, I suggest Bright Leaf Virginia and also American Virginia from LeafOnly. They are both excellent.

Reactions: jonnydoe

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Leafonly means waiting time for me because i live in germany but perhaps i will try it.

I have tried two turkish from stokkebye.

Peter Stokkebye Turkish Pipe Tobacco | 4noggins.com

Peter Stokkebye RYO Turkish Export | 4noggins.com

The first was good, it was strong enough and has smokiness. The second is mild and was not good as flavour. I am wondering, because the good one is a pipe tobacco. I have thought that its a rolling tobacco too. It is a little bit stronger as american spirit and american spirit is much sweater.

I have made both with the hot ethanol extraction method and mixed it with 10% extract in the pg-vg base. Both have needed 3 weeks for steeping. After this they have become a little smokiness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread