Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Cigarette Leaf - All Natural Whole Leaf Tobacco

There are many virginia tobaccos on the page. Which are the two right ones ?

Do someone have more ideas for tobaccos to buy from leafonly ? I will try 5-10 of them, if they are good.

These are the ones I have tried:

American Virginia : USA Virginia Flue Cured Tobacco Leaf For Cigarettes, MYO, RYO, Pipe Tobacco, Hookah Tobacco, and more. This particular tobacco comes in different versions. I chose the 2012 version because of its dark color. Some of them also come in organic form - found under the organic section.

Bright Leaf Sweet: Brightleaf Virginia Flue Cured Tobacco Leaf - Sweet Tobacco Leaves For RYO, MYO, Pipe Tobacco, Hookah Tobacco, and more.

I have also tried the Canadian Flue Cured and found it has less flavor than the American version.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I have tried over 40 tobaccos till yet and most of them are disappointing. There are only 2 cigars and 2 rolling tobaccos i have liked.

This is why I've extracted so many different tobacco blends, only a few have provided the flavor I'm looking for. In my case I'm searching for extracts suitable to make hybrid (flavored) NETs with, not all tobaccos play well with secondary flavorings.

Another thing to consider is different extraction solvents/methods leech different flavor nuances from the tobacco in play. Have you tried hot or cold PG/VG extractions yet? Some of my favorite ethanol based tobacco extracts taste -completely- different when the same tobacco is extracted in a PG/VG solvent.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
These are the ones I have tried:

Do you have a reason referring flue cured ?

Do they have a kind of smokiness as american spirit has a litte bit ?

I am searching virginia, burley and orient tobaccos at first. Later i will try darker ones.

What extraction method have you choosen for it ?

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Do you have a reason referring flue cured ?

Do they have a kind of smokiness as american spirit has a litte bit ?

What extraction method have you choosen for it ?

The reason I chose flue cured is because that is the most common type of tobacco used in American cigarettes. Their level of smokiness is about the same as American Spirit; Bright Leaf has a little less. For a more smoky flavor, Latakia seems to be the choice among many vapes/smokers. My extractions are all with pga. Haven't tried anything else.

Reactions: jonnydoe

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Morning
Did some filtering this weekend:
Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sliced - PipesandCigars.com
Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Sweet Rum Twist - PipesandCigars.com
GL Pease JackKnife - PipesandCigars.com
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake - PipesandCigars.com
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture - PipesandCigars.com
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake - PipesandCigars.com

I'll be making the concoctions over this week and next weekend. The last of this batch will also get filtered next weekend:
Hearth & Home Signature Anniversary Kake - PipesandCigars.com
Sutliff Voodoo Queen - PipesandCigars.com
All cold PG maceration 8-9 weeks then nutsack, coffee filter, and Ahlstrom Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 micrometer Retention, Medium Flow, Grade 601: Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This'll be it until probably March when the next batch is ready. Looking forward to all of these. I'll post reviews once I get them mixed.

Having a blast with this!

Looks like a nice list. Would like to know how the GHC Black Twist Sliced and Sweet Rum Twist turned out. Been wanting to do those. I love the SG 1792. I have the JackKnife but haven't taken it out of the tin yet. Always hate breaking into the tin's. Makes me want to smoke!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Morning

I'll be making the concoctions over this week and next weekend. The last of this batch will also get filtered next weekend:
All cold PG maceration 8-9 weeks then nutsack, coffee filter, and Ahlstrom Qualitative Filter Paper, 2.5 micrometer Retention, Medium Flow, Grade 601: Science Lab Qualitative Filter Paper: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
This'll be it until probably March when the next batch is ready. Looking forward to all of these. I'll post reviews once I get them mixed.

Outstanding list, some heavy hitters in that line-up I'm sure you're going to be quite pleased with the results. I've not extracted Jackknife or the Rum Twist and will be interested in reading your take on those. Also, I haven't extracted the Elizabethan Mixture using PG at room temperature so will be waiting to hear the results of that one too. :)

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Today i have become 5 acid blondes and 2 very little fire cured drews.

Latakia from net.com is very good and it has much smokiness. But in the moment i have enough black tobaccos from Clay. I have extracted 4 or 5 latakia pipe tobaccos and they are all not good. Dont know how Clay has made such a good latakia.

I am searching too tobaccos like american spirit now. American Spirit is too sweat and not strong enough i think. Mixing with burley or orient could be a choice. I need some smokiness like the latakia from Clay but without the taste of black tobacco; perhaps a Kentucky fire cured ?

I dont really know what method i should try for more smokiness. Hot PG, Hot PGA or Cold ?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Latakia is a smoky tasting tobacco. I haven't tried Clay's so don't know if he used pure Latakia or a Latakia dominant tobacco blend. The Latakia heavy blends I've extracted all have a dark taste to them, Sutiff "St James" and Cornell & Diehl "Mississippi Mud" both have a heavy Latakia presence. One of my favorite blends for making hybrid NETs "Voodoo Queen" has a small amount of Latakia that is a minor flavor note when extracted in ethanol but becomes a major flavor when extracted in a PG/VG/PGA blended solvent at room temperature for a long period.

jonnydoe

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
Would be very interesting what you would say to Clays latakia. I have tried it with extra extract. Its perfect ! It has much smokiness and a big wonderful taste. Its one of the best juices i have tried. If you like latakia its a must have !

Next weekend i will extract the cigars with your and boomers method. The other cigars needs 4 weeks till they are ready, also with your and boomers method. I am thinking that i will not taste a difference between the methods, because both are with hot pg.

I have extracted some rolling tobaccos without adds and can try them also next weekend. Camel, Pepe, blue american spirit, Pielroja, Chesterfield, Lucky Strike and Javaanse White.

I am thinking also about an cold/warm extraction on my radiator for some weeks. Have you tried it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: usr/

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota
Morning

Mmmm... when should I come over? ;)

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

zulu965

Jul 23, 2015
Portugal
Hi all.

I've been lurking around here for a long time.
Already tried several extractions, ethanol and PG.
So far my best one was a PG extraction of Dunhill My Mixture 965 (3 months cold extraction with a few hot cycles of 1 hour during that period).
It used to be one of my favourite tobaccos when I smoked a pipe.
The result in "vape form" is slightly sweet, probably from the virginias, with a not overly strong spiciness from the latakia and orientals.
A very mellow and complex vape.
Absolutely delicious and perfect for an ADV.
I strongly recomend it to latakia/english blends lovers.
I've yet to try extracting this tobacco with ehanol to compare the results. But I suspect that it plays better with PG.

Cheers and keep on extracting :thumbs:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I am thinking also about an cold/warm extraction on my radiator for some weeks. Have you tried it ?

The warmer the temperature the faster flavor is leeched from the tobacco. I've extracted tobacco using a 75/20/5 PG/VG/PGA blended solvent at 100F and had wonderful flavor after three weeks of soak time. At <70F that same extraction would have required 10 weeks to produce such flavor.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
In my trials and tribulations, I also concur that 140 is an optimal temp... over 160 seems to produce more bitter/grassy hints...
I might add, I use ethanol only in my extracting... I find VG PG makes for an extremely "gunkier" product...

gunkier?? is that a real word??? ;)

Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread