Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Lizzie, we basically have that same attitude regarding help arriving in a timely manner. Our township has no, paid, police department and relies on the State Police who are about fifteen minutes away from us under the best conditions. Fire and EMS are volunteer so a half hour would be a reasonable response time. Being alone most of the day and getting "a little older" does give me pause and I'd rather have some response available if needed.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Howdy Folks. Hope everybody is having a bodacious Friday
If you are happy with the phone and it is still working - replace the glass if it is cost effective.
What he said. It's a common thing and a lot less expense than replacing the phone. The protector is also a great idea.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Lizzie, you'd need to take the phone to a repair service to replace the glass, unless you have a local version of Tritium handy. I consider myself fairly handy and adept, but I wouldn't wrench on an iPhone or an Android phone either.

On a lighter note about iPhones...a guy posted a YouTube video saying that Apple had simply forgotten to drill the hole for the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. In the video he takes an iPhone 7 and puts it in a vice. Of course the screen goes south immediately from the excessive pressure but he says "don't worry, that's OK". Then he takes a drill and drills a hole in it, ostensibly for the headphones to plug in. Needless to say doing any of that stuff would destroy the phone and he was being sarcastic.

Turns out some people actually did exactly what he had in the video, wrecked their brand new, $700, phone and are trying to sue him. PT Barnum was right.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Lizzie, you'd need to take the phone to a repair service to replace the glass, unless you have a local version of Tritium handy. I consider myself fairly handy and adept, but I wouldn't wrench on an iPhone or an Android phone either.

On a lighter note about iPhones...a guy posted a YouTube video saying that Apple had simply forgotten to drill the hole for the headphone jack in the iPhone 7. In the video he takes an iPhone 7 and puts it in a vice. Of course the screen goes south immediately from the excessive pressure but he says "don't worry, that's OK". Then he takes a drill and drills a hole in it, ostensibly for the headphones to plug in. Needless to say doing any of that stuff would destroy the phone and he was being sarcastic.

Turns out some people actually did exactly what he had in the video, wrecked their brand new, $700, phone and are trying to sue him. PT Barnum was right.
    Does that make me a horrible person for thinking that is hilarious as all get out. :unsure::sneaky::lol:

Tritium

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 12, 2013
    Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
    I know i would laugh for this! LOL :D :D

Awsum the local version of Tritium (including mine) would have bought a ready joined lcd with touch screen to avoid having dust particles in between, many times i have to get it with the frame attached too, makes the phone look like it came from the factory brand new. Ebay is your friend.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    Well, I went to ATT phone store. I showed the guy my old phone and he told me "Any phone in here, including the cheapest phones, will be better in all ways than your old phone. Faster, more memory, more features, etc"

The kid made made me laugh. Anyway, my phone was at least 8 years old and I'm not nearly as fond of Apple phone as people think I should be. All I really want to do is make and receive phone calls, a few of my friends text once in awhile, check emails and it is handy if you are lost in town, you can look up where a store or address is located. Also, a game like solitaire and a few books on the phone are nice in case you get stuck waiting somewhere.

So, I got hooked up with a new Samsung Galaxy Express 3 phone for $80. I'm so happy.

I have to transfer all my contacts by hand. Can you believe that? Yeah, the kid said the machine is broken that would transfer from I phone to Android phone. Geez.

I was shocked when the kid told me that people buy super expensive phones and only expect them to last a couple of years. Seems ridiculous. I know you have to get new technology every so often but I try to make the old technology last as long as possible. Who has money to spend on new computer, new phone, new tablet all the time?

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 24, 2013
    Tomah Wisconsin
    I was shocked when the kid told me that people buy super expensive phones and only expect them to last a couple of years. Seems ridiculous. I know you have to get new technology every so often but I try to make the old technology last as long as possible. Who has money to spend on new computer, new phone, new tablet all the time?
    So right. I expect this landline phone to last me a long time. My next HA's will be a tech update, and BT compatible, so I might want to go back to cellphone, but until then, I am happy.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    'moanin, Volties.

I was waiting for the cable box to reboot when I answered Tritium earlier.

I stuck with my old flip phone way past it's "useful" life. In fact Verizon kept pestering me for years to upgrade to a smartphone...to get me to buy a data plan. It still works fine and it is a phone, not a tablet or handheld computer. That's really all I use them for, a phone. The Rugby is OK, but I'm not all that impressed. Yeah, it has more "zing" than a flip phone but it does seem to eat the battery a lot faster. There's a price to pay for higher horsepower processors in power consumption. I do expect to use it when on a trip sometime in the future, but other than that, it's a phone. Given it's thirst for power it'll probably end up tethered to a charger cord.

Don't feel too bad about transferring contacts manually Lizzie. I had to do the same thing when going from the GZ-One to the Rugby. It didn't take all that long while enjoying coffee after dinner.

On the smartphone/Tab7 front.
    There was a piece on our local news yesterday evening about a young man whose Tab6 went up in smoke in his back pocket while in class at the local, County, college. Of course, insinuations, no direct references, were made to the problem with the Tab7 and now the Tab6 as well. He did admit that the screen was cracked but couldn't see how that could make it burst into flames in his pocket. This was accompanied by a dramatic shot of the crispy phone and the right rear pocket of his jeans, which was cut along the bottom to get the smoking phone out.

Nobody ever stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, sitting on a phone in a pair of snug or tight jeans, and his were snug but not tight, might put too much stress on the phone and cause it to short. The implication was it was the fault of that "evil" cell phone and "evil" Samsung.

I will say that Samsung seems to be having a run of bad products. First the Tab7 problem and now washing machines, top loaders, that "explode". I think they need to do some more, in depth, QC somewhere.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    'moanin, Volties.

I will say that Samsung seems to be having a run of bad products. First the Tab7 problem and now washing machines, top loaders, that "explode". I think they need to do some more, in depth, QC somewhere.

I agree. Over all I like Samsung stuff but for crying out loud, I was a little afraid to buy something from them and they need to figure out why stuff is bursting into flames!!!!

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    'evenin, Volties.

I hope everyone along the southern east coast is either out of the danger zone or really well hunkered down. The evacuation efforts are showing what overpopulation of a specific region can produce in an emergency. A relative of one of Mrs. Awsum's co-workers spent five hours TRYING to get to Orlando from the coast and gave up, turned around and went home. It's a half hour drive under normal conditions. Not a good situation.

I wonder how Cape Canaveral will fare. Last time there was a major storm there they had some, significant, damage to some of the launch towers and such. Our tax dollars at risk there.

I've been busy painting the inside of the house. Went through a time warp buying the paint, what happened to the price of paint? We're trying to prep everything for the arrival of the new puppy. I don't want to have to paint with him under foot. Once the painting is completed I'll shampoo all the carpets as well. I expect some accidents, for sure, but would rather start with a clean slate.

I see your weather is cooling down too, Tritium. We've been in the upper 40's the last few mornings but manage to get up to 70 or 57 during the day. Really nice temperature range.

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Hey guys. I stopped by to see if there was any word from Wuzz. I see there isn't. :(

Uncle evacuated to a friends place around Ft Lauderdale, which in my opinion is a worse place than if he stayed home. He's 10 miles inland but is now closer to where Matthew could make landfall. I hope he stays safe.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread