High Voltage Atomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericscott

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2009
Grove city ohio
I got a 501 HV atty about 2 weeks ago and for the last 5 days I been useing just it with my inhaler a 7.2volts and its works great cant beleave how much abuse this thing is taken plus I was able to drope down to 24m i reg vape 36 or 40m at 5v I got the ones that take 2v off but this thing seems a lot hotter than that I did not like them at 6v they did not perform good to me but at 7v there great i orderd 2 more today.

Brodius Bacchus

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2009
Louisville, Kentucky
Over the past three months I've been using a stacked [or series] set-up that utilizes two 3.0v Tenergy 900mAh CR123a's. With that set-up I've been using OEM DSE901 atomizers. As one would expect - and I'm sure many have experienced and continue to experience - atomizer life at this voltage was and is, well, third rate.

However, I came to appreciate and love the performance I was given at the outset of a fresh 901's life. The flavor, the vapor, the throat hit, everything I expected in the promised land of HV vaping (except, of course, the fact that performance greatly diminishes anywhere from 2 - 3 weeks after that first day). I was hoping to retain, and consistently get, that fresh OEM 901 performance and get the benefit of a longer atomizer life with the Nhaler HV atomizers. I have found this to not be the case thus far.

I purchased a HV901 and a HV510, both at 4.5ohms. I use the HV510 with a 901-to-510 adapter (from AltSmoke). First, the HV901:
  • Since I'm much more accustomed to 901's, I feel I can make a more qualified statement concerning my experience with the HV901. To start, I'll say this: it works; but nowhere near a 5v experience. Rather, I'd liken it to my OEM 901 battery days where I'd get around 3.7v-4.2v. That's the experience I'm getting from it, less the flavor I'd expect from a 901. And it's even had time to break in.

The HV510:
  • Concerning the HV510, this is the first time, ever, that I'm using a 510 model atomizer. That being said, despite my inexperience with the model I know I should be getting more out of this. The 510 actually performs worse than the 901 (virtually no flavor and much less vapor). Granted, it could be an issue with the adapter, but I have a feeling this is not the case. I'll see once I get the OEM 510 I ordered.

I have to say, even allowing time for these atomizers to break in, the performance is just not there at 6v. I had extremely high hopes for these. I'm willing to give these a go at 7.4v (considering I have to re-buy the batteries), but I was sold these atomizers under the impression that they were good to go at 6v. I don't think they are, but they get an "E" for effort. At the very least they work; but vapor production, flavor, and throat hit are all at a level I see commensurate with 3.7v, not 5v (as advertised). I understand you start to really compromise atomizer life at 6v when ohms are, say, lower than 4.0 (I don't know, I have no experience with electronics in this way), but I feel 4.5 ohms for 6v vaping may be just a tad high.

Those are my initial thoughts, I hope I didn't come across as too harsh or crass. I'm just desperately seeking my "sweet spot" while balancing out atomizer life. The OEM 901's I've been using for these past few months just aren't up to the task.

Regards,
Brad

Last edited:

Up In Vapor

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Knoxville, TN
I haven't tried the 4.5's yet, but I agree with redgirl about the 5.2's with 2x 3.7v batts...it rocks! I should be getting a 4.5 soon and I'll let you know how it works for me.

I have looked at these HV attys are mostly experimental and I expect some trial and error to be the norm until a clear winning formula emerges. We are all participants in a big HV vaping Beta program when you think about it. In a way, you can say we are all pioneers ;)

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I have not tried any of the HV attys yet but am a little confused about the whole thing. If you use the xhaler with the cap screwed tight to run at 5v and you use the 4.5 atty to drop it a volt then aren't you vaping at 4v which would be just about the same as running a 3.7v battery fully charged in the xhaler? I just don't get the point of that one. I so far have been pretty happy with my regular 510,901, and 801 atomizers on my xhaler.

skywalk

ECF Veteran
    Dec 31, 2009
    Malaysia
    I have not tried any of the HV attys yet but am a little confused about the whole thing. If you use the xhaler with the cap screwed tight to run at 5v and you use the 4.5 atty to drop it a volt then aren't you vaping at 4v which would be just about the same as running a 3.7v battery fully charged in the xhaler? I just don't get the point of that one. I so far have been pretty happy with my regular 510,901, and 801 atomizers on my xhaler.

I too am wondering how this works.
    whats the difference between vaping 7.4v/HV atty = approx 5.4v
    versus
    6v/regular atty

lower voltage/lower resistance, versus higher voltage/higher resistance...doesn't that achieve the same end result in terms of power output? :confused:

SurvivorMcGyver

Ol' Timer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Over the past three months I've been using a stacked [or series] set-up that utilizes two 3.0v Tenergy 900mAh CR123a's. With that set-up I've been using OEM DSE901 atomizers. As one would expect - and I'm sure many have experienced and continue to experience - atomizer life at this voltage was and is, well, third rate.

However, I came to appreciate and love the performance I was given at the outset of a fresh 901's life. The flavor, the vapor, the throat hit, everything I expected in the promised land of HV vaping (except, of course, the fact that performance greatly diminishes anywhere from 2 - 3 weeks after that first day). I was hoping to retain, and consistently get, that fresh OEM 901 performance and get the benefit of a longer atomizer life with the Nhaler HV atomizers. I have found this to not be the case thus far.

I purchased a HV901 and a HV510, both at 4.5ohms. I use the HV510 with a 901-to-510 adapter (from AltSmoke). First, the HV901:
    • Since I'm much more accustomed to 901's, I feel I can make a more qualified statement concerning my experience with the HV901. To start, I'll say this: it works; but nowhere near a 5v experience. Rather, I'd liken it to my OEM 901 battery days where I'd get around 3.7v-4.2v. That's the experience I'm getting from it, less the flavor I'd expect from a 901. And it's even had time to break in.

The HV510:
    • Concerning the HV510, this is the first time, ever, that I'm using a 510 model atomizer. That being said, despite my inexperience with the model I know I should be getting more out of this. The 510 actually performs worse than the 901 (virtually no flavor and much less vapor). Granted, it could be an issue with the adapter, but I have a feeling this is not the case. I'll see once I get the OEM 510 I ordered.
    I have to say, even allowing time for these atomizers to break in, the performance is just not there at 6v. I had extremely high hopes for these. I'm willing to give these a go at 7.4v (considering I have to re-buy the batteries), but I was sold these atomizers under the impression that they were good to go at 6v. I don't think they are, but they get an "E" for effort. At the very least they work; but vapor production, flavor, and throat hit are all at a level I see commensurate with 3.7v, not 5v (as advertised). I understand you start to really compromise atomizer life at 6v when ohms are, say, lower than 4.0 (I don't know, I have no experience with electronics in this way), but I feel 4.5 ohms for 6v vaping may be just a tad high.

Those are my initial thoughts, I hope I didn't come across as too harsh or crass. I'm just desperately seeking my "sweet spot" while balancing out atomizer life. The OEM 901's I've been using for these past few months just aren't up to the task.

Regards,
    Brad

Being used to about a 12+++ (perhaps 14+) watt vape (3.0 ohms at about 6v MINIMUM) I can see your disappointment. At 4.5 ohms you are getting (give or take) about 8-10 (ish) watts. Thats quite a step down in heat.

Perhaps the investment in 3.6 volters in your case would be worthy.

I do know the amp draw is significantly less -- so, with the higher resistance atties you should get better battery life as it (AT 6 Volts) brings the amp draw from a flat 2A down to ~1.3A. Still higher than "design" for most (all) CR133A but better than before.

BTW, I too, crave the 12 watt vape -- I have been using 2- 3.6v (~8.1 peak voltage) and a 5.4 Ohm atty for over a month now. This gives me ~12 watts to start. When voltage gets down to around 7.5 (or ~10 watts) it's time for a new set.

I think the design of these atties is modeled after a standard 510 atty (2.3 ohms) at 5 volt (=10.8 watts - give or take) -- What many have labled the "Holy Grail". You have exceeded that and find it "best for you".

So, long story short, do what is best for YOU ............

Try, fail; but in the end, endeavor to achieve.......

Hope this helps a bit

Best Regards

McGyver

Brodius Bacchus

ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Up In Vapor said:
    I should be getting a 4.5 soon and I'll let you know how it works for me.

That would be great.

@McGyver:

I appreciate your insightful response. What I'll end up doing is probably re-buying 3.6/3.7 CR123a's (I should have never sold my first ones :oops:). Amazingly enough, since that last post of mine, the 901 seems to have come around a bit (getting slightly better performance).

I don't know what a 5v vape is like, I haven't had anything in the past that regulated voltage down to 5v, so I was basing my experience purely off of 6v (while imagining what one less volt should be like). But what I initially experienced hearkened me back to the good ol' 3.7v days with OEM batteries. I even wiped the dust off the one's I had and gave those a go (with an OEM 901 of course, not a HV901), and the experience was similar. So that initial experience convinced me I couldn't have been vaping at 5v (I could have been, and may still be, completely wrong).

I guess I've been spoiled at 12watts, as you say. I'll have to continue testing, comparing, testing, comparing, ad infinitum.

Brad

Last edited:

Brodius Bacchus

ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2009
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I too am wondering how this works.
    whats the difference between vaping 7.4v/HV atty = approx 5.4v
    versus
    6v/regular atty

lower voltage/lower resistance, versus higher voltage/higher resistance...doesn't that achieve the same end result in terms of power output? :confused:

I'm not qualified to speak on the electronics side of this issue, but what I can say (and especially due to experience with this) is that a regular (OEM) atomizer - rated somewhere between 2.5-3.0ohms from what I've heard - has a tendency to experience a premature death with 6+ volts (and rapidly so at times). The difference with these HV atomizers is to extend atomizer life while still giving a HV experience (although, personally, I'm a bit confused with the 5v selection in this case as I've heard a regular atomizer at 5v should be fine).

I guess it comes down to a particular mods ability to regulate to 5v, in which case mine does not; which is why somebody like me would require an atomizer that does. But my tastes, apparently, require something with more wattage (which I certainly wouldn't get at 5v w/ a 4.5ohm atomizer).

Regards,
    Brad

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
    Mar 14, 2009
    New Jersey
    www.nhaler.com
    with my 501 HV attys i have to hit very hard is that how they all are im useing my xhaler with the adapter its like no air gets threw?
    It sounds like you may have something amiss there...Which adapter do you have? I havent experienced this problem before but it could be a problem with the adapter...Let me know ...Thanks
    Drew

Kewtsquirrel

ECF Veteran
    May 21, 2009
    DFW, TX
    moddersupply.com
    Brodius -

Scott is correct on you being spoiled on a 12-14watt vape, a 5v experience for you would be pretty lackluster. Most of us who did the testing found that 6v was just too damned harsh, I personally despise it - the vapor is too wispy and I've got to constantly drink something as I vape or it burns the hell out of my throat.

If you're truly happy at 6v, don't change anything! I would however give the 4.5 ohm atomizers a shot on 2x 3.7v batteries, as you may find your sweetspot there if the 6v is spotty for you at times. Theres a huge difference between 5v and 6v though, just as anyone can tell you there is a /massive/ gap between 3.7v(4.2v) and 5v.

Nicotinologist

ECF Veteran
    Jan 14, 2010
    Long Beach, California
    Ashhole, I certainly don't blame you to think that way. I did some calculations and I found out that there are indeed some benefits. The way I see it: If we double the voltage from 3.7v to 7.4v and the resistance 2.4 ohms to 4.8 ohms, the total current remains thesame. That is 3.7 divided by 2.4=1.5416667. Now, 7.4 divided by 4.8=1.5416667. Wattage for 3.7v: Voltage times current, 3.7x1.5416667=5.7226679 watts. Now for 7.4x1.5416667=11.445358 watts. So we double the gain in heating power (wattage). I think that is what we want to attain all along. Oh, I almost forgot, the atomizer will be twice as hot. It may need some better heat insulations on the mouth piece and better plastic material in the cartridges to prevent meltdowns.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread