Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
also, too, tho, make sure your coil is out on the edge of your atty. right up by the air hole. have no fear of "legs" on a micro-coil.

i am really digging how long legs are not of concern. originally, i really wanted to build this coil parallel to the atty wall, rather than perpendicular to it. i figure the more of the coil thats sitting up against those air holes, the better. but my pos screw is not in a great position to make that happen.

so, while this coil is good, its not great. im scrapping it and turning a new one.

it stinks how my pos post is in the center of the atty and not alongside the wall like the neg post is, but the long leg deal oughta solve that. i want that coil served up to those holes on a MF'ing platter. and by golly i will do just that :D

heres a photo of the outside of my atomizer, for reference
DiscountVapers.com_dream_BT801_3__05356.1353979017.1280.1280.jpg

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
Jeremy, there's a reason most people who switch to them don't use anything else...

Your reason is only one of them :). You just can't go wrong with any REO, my favorite though, is the Grand.

Fully mechanical, Durable and reliable as hell, fresh squeezed juice on demand, all day juice and battery capacity, leak free, pocketable and no uncomfortable feeling men must get toking off a tube shaped device are the other reasons that come to mind :)

And you must check out the REOsmods forum. Nicest, most helpful bunch of people on ECF.

I was just looking on the Reo webpage, I was always under the impression they had wires, so now I really want one. I looked on the blem page hoping to see a mini 2.1, that way I dont have to get new batteries. I'll wait for some different colors to come back out and get me one and a ReoMizer too. I do have a question that maybe you or Pdib can answer is does the cap on the Reomizer screw on? If so does it have a problem with not lining up right?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I was just looking on the Reo webpage, I was always under the impression they had wires, so now I really want one. I looked on the blem page hoping to see a mini 2.1, that way I dont have to get new batteries. I'll wait for some different colors to come back out and get me one and a ReoMizer too. I do have a question that maybe you or Pdib can answer is does the cap on the Reomizer screw on? If so does it have a problem with not lining up right?

Yep, it screws on. I had one of 6 that didnt line up. I used an oring to correct it.

As for the reo, If you PM redeyedancer (rob) he usually has ones that haven't made it to the website yet.

Nope, no wires. Fully mech and ready to rip your lungs out :)

Last edited:

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
I swear I've posted in this thread before. Weird, can't find my previous post. Well, here's my micro coil on my eVic. I made a few dozen micro coils and wicks last night; enough to last me a year or so.

Nice even glow. Little to no lag time, heats juice up very fast. Also, no hot legs. Redbull + menthol is my all day vape.
BDL7WDU.jpg

Center of the wick is burned =( I rewick this thing once a day. Cotton is good, but burns too easily.
Rx5pIeW.jpg

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Center of the wick is burned =( I rewick this thing once a day. Cotton is good, but burns too easily.

What do you use for a wick if it's not cotton? And what ohms did you get?

I use cotton for my wicks and I think the cotton lasts a bit longer for me since the Penelope is a bottom fed tank.
I just tried my first micro coil using 30G A1 kanthal on my Penelope. I came out to 2.6 ohms.

Sad Society

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Make sure there's not acrylic in the yarn. Sometimes when liquid is added to the coil, or if the coil is simply heated the ohms will change. I found that the resistance changes a lot on the Evic. If the ohms fluctuate too much it could mean there's a short somewhere. But if it stays in the general range, then you're probably OK.

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
Make sure there's not acrylic in the yarn. Sometimes when liquid is added to the coil, or if the coil is simply heated the ohms will change. I found that the resistance changes a lot on the Evic. If the ohms fluctuate too much it could mean there's a short somewhere. But if it stays in the general range, then you're probably OK.

Right on! See below...

- pulled out some 32ga. Did a 6 or 7 wrap. It's working! Beautiful!!! Didn't expect it to be 3 Ohms though. Protank is too airy for me. This is for my wife. I'll have her test drive it tonight and see how it goes. No leaking when I was trying it. But that was only for a few minutes.

Thanks all!!! I really want to rebuild these protanks, and other BCCs, for her. But, really want to stick with SS. (She likes to burn chit by accidentally turning her provari up too high)

UPDATE! I was test driving this setup for her yesterday and every once in a while it would bounce from 3 Ohms down to 1.7ish. Got home last night and took it apart. For sure! There was a couple of itty bitty shorts in there. Readjusted the coil. mashed em together all nice and snug until no more shorts. Sticking right at 3 Ohms now.

Unbelievable vapor, warmth and TH. And at only 6'ish Watts!!! I don't understand it. I don't like airy. Maybe the amount of heat and vapor it was producing overrode the airy feel? I was enjoying it just as much as my RBA. Gonna recoil my RBA tonight. micro style.

Protank coil rebuilt with itty bitty roll of 400 SS mesh, 6 or 7 wraps 32ga. Almost micro. (can't see the dang thing that small anyway AND 1/16" would probably leak in the protank.) No leaks!!

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
What do you use for a wick if it's not cotton? And what ohms did you get?

I use cotton for my wicks and I think the cotton lasts a bit longer for me since the Penelope is a bottom fed tank.
I just tried my first micro coil using 30G A1 kanthal on my Penelope. I came out to 2.6 ohms.

Nextel (xc-132 ceramic rope) is what I use. I've been very happy with it.

nelsonm64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Kelowna, B.C.
Just made my first micro coil. i made it for a protank head with 28awg, 12 raps around doubles up 2mm silica, no flavor wick. fricken thing lites up like a xmas tree and hits like a freight train! i'm so excited lol *nerd moment* sorry. had fluctuating ohms at first because it was touching the sides i think but, after a little poking and proding its working great.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
12 wraps of 32 gauge nichrome reading 1.5 ohms. The OD on this is about 1 mm so it is super tiny. I can see the purpose of the "vent" in the middle, it just gets too hot there for the wick to keep up... glowing red and burning things even for a short drag. I have since doubled up the wick leading to the coil by folding it over and wedging it against the leg. The pictured configuration couldn't wick fast enough. That is a tiny little thread of cotton, one strand of the 4 from a piece of yarn, and it fits perfectly. It vapes good, but I think this might just be too small.

View attachment 220660

Edit: Ha! After vaping on this for a little while I was amused to find the gap in the center had closed itself. There is still a tiny gap, which apparently is enough, because it is still going strong.

Last edited:

Vault

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Wellingborough,Northants,UK
12 wraps of 32 gauge nichrome reading 1.5 ohms. The OD on this is about 1 mm so it is super tiny. I can see the purpose of the "vent" in the middle, it just gets too hot there for the wick to keep up... glowing red and burning things even for a short drag. I have since doubled up the wick leading to the coil by folding it over and wedging it against the leg. The pictured configuration couldn't wick fast enough. That is a tiny little thread of cotton, one strand of the 4 from a piece of yarn, and it fits perfectly. It vapes good, but I think this might just be too small.

View attachment 220660

Edit: Ha! After vaping on this for a little while I was amused to find the gap in the center had closed itself. There is still a tiny gap, which apparently is enough, because it is still going strong.

When I stripped the original coils from the Evods I always noticed this "gap" and wondered about it. The original "Authentic" Evod coils (1.8ohm) were quite complex really, a very fine gauge wire (thinner than 32awg) with 6 wraps and a gap in the middle making a 3-3 configeration, the legs were NR wire as you could see the micro weld joining the legs to the coils.
It makes sense now about the gap as the coils are going to start glowing from the middle and the wick will dry up there first.
I guess with their set-up you have two micro-coils in one head.

scrappy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Seattle
What I've found over the last couple days playing with micro coils is non of my builds like long wicks. On every coil I built once I trimmed the wick so only a little of it was in the juice well they because the best coils I've ever vaped. My only complaint with these coils is they go through juice fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread