Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
This front porch is as nice as the other one, but has the smell of new paint. Nice job on the move.

Having a little trouble finding the "right" strength liquid, but fortunately the number is going down instead of up. :)

Since I've only been doing this a little over a week, I figure I'll get things dialed in soon...then WATCH OUT ! Wife remarked tonight how nice it was not smelling cigarettes all the time. I think I'll keep her.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
I know most of y'all have heard my story before but for all those that haven't this is from 4/21/2012...
Some things have changed in the past 1 1/2 years. I am now 65 years young. Even after over 2 years of vaping I've not advanced past ego type batteries and that works for me. I do love my VV Spinners but that is about as advanced as I need. Have tried carto tanks, T3's, MT3's and viva novas but am very happy with my 1.6ml eVods and 1.2ml CE3's.

Hubby is still smoking some but he has cut back from 2-2 1/2 packs a day to a carton every 2 weeks or so. The only juice delivery device he will use is the little 1.2ml CE3 XL's and unflavored juice. Can't say that I blame him on the CE3's. They sure do deliver good vapor and for me, taste.

One of the most used and one of the truest statements is "Don't count the ones you smoke, count the ones you don't". That is the way I look at his smoking. Wish he could completely quit but it is his choice.
Never let anyone try to convince you that an ego battery is just entry level!! After a year, I mostly use my SID, but if I'm just going around the block or to the store, the Ego is my best device. Also very handy sitting at my desk at work.

Excellent Job Mike!!:toast:

I had a lil scare the past couple weeks..I developed another ulcer on 1 of my feet..
After 2 previous partial amputations..I wasn't looking forward to losing more body parts:(
However this time it healed up!!
I'm totally convinced..The reason it healed..
Is that I'm now vaping.and not getting all the nasty chemicals..
I was ingesting before with analogs:D
My opinion agrees with yours there. Without all the chemicals in tobacco to slow or stop healing, things just work better.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
Since my description last night of my vaping organizer was probably clear as mud, here's the link: Amazon.com: Rolodex 98800 Wood Tones Cell Phone/PDA Wireless Organizer, 10w x6d x5h, Mahogany: Office Products

And, I even have a picture (not mine obviously, way too neat):
organizer.jpg

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Never let anyone try to convince you that an ego battery is just entry level!! After a year, I mostly use my SID, but if I'm just going around the block or to the store, the Ego is my best device. Also very handy sitting at my desk at work.
Ego batteries are the mainstay of vaping. They are the ideal for going out in public. Can carry on a lanyard or in a pocket. Little ego batteries for stealth. Twists for power. I've tried taking my mods out in public. I hate it. People stare too much, like I'm crazy or something.

So, when I get home from work, I move all my tanks and atomizers to mods so that I can get my egos all charged up and rested for a new day. I try to pamper them so they last longer.

Ken_A said:
My opinion agrees with yours there. Without all the chemicals in tobacco to slow or stop healing, things just work better.
I agree. I don't have as many allergy problems since I've started vaping. But, more importantly since I'm diabetic, I seem to heal faster. It's like my blood was poisoned by cigarettes.

Since my description last night of my vaping organizer was probably clear as mud, here's the link: Amazon.com: Rolodex 98800 Wood Tones Cell Phone/PDA Wireless Organizer, 10w x6d x5h, Mahogany: Office Products

View attachment 300672
Very nice! Much prettier than mine. But, mine does hold a lot:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.

Mike, I didn't get a chance to meet him, but I'm curious about the writing, or tatoos on his face.
There must of been a good story to go along with those markings.
I'm assuming it has to do with his native american heritage, but what did it say, ..what did it mean.
I've met a lot of "tribal" natives, and I've never seen that before.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
after a long day its time to just take out my old GE Radio and play some Frank Sinatra...

Great song ... think it's time for a little "My Way", as we are off to a new start.
If I knew how to post it , I would .. so it's up to one of you guys with "computer smarts" to bring it on.
Nobody can belt it out like "ol blue eyes"

Ohms Lawbreaker

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Right Behind You
Greetings. Doing some insomniac thread reading you know, enjoying all your words. Here is a Twilight Zone getting-old moment I hope you all enjoy:

I was riding in an Amtrack train across the US. On long train trips, you become aware of those around you. The seat across the aisle from me had been empty for most of the trip, but was now occupied by an old man. Did not think much of him, just someone you look at and think "old man" in a way that you think is much older than yourself. Or "old woman" as the case may be.

Something strange about him though ... had to take a better look. I nearly came apart in my mind.

That man was me.

It was my own reflection in the window across the aisle, and it was night time so the reflection was vivid. Can't begin to explain how this freaked me out -- like seeing yourself from the outside. Anyone have anything like that happen to them?

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
This front porch is as nice as the other one, but has the smell of new paint. Nice job on the move.

Having a little trouble finding the "right" strength liquid, but fortunately the number is going down instead of up. :)

Since I've only been doing this a little over a week, I figure I'll get things dialed in soon...then WATCH OUT ! Wife remarked tonight how nice it was not smelling cigarettes all the time. I think I'll keep her.

Some of us are still dialing in the right strength. Sometimes it just seems like I need a little more than others so it's nice to have a couple different strengths around even in the same flavor.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida

The best reason to keep her is that she kept YOU with all that smelliness. You will understand in about a month when your nose completely recovers :lol:

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
I know most of y'all have heard my story before but for all those that haven't this is from 4/21/2012

Some things have changed in the past 1 1/2 years. I am now 65 years young. Even after over 2 years of vaping I've not advanced past ego type batteries and that works for me. I do love my VV Spinners but that is about as advanced as I need. Have tried carto tanks, T3's, MT3's and viva novas but am very happy with my 1.6ml eVods and 1.2ml CE3's.

Hubby is still smoking some but he has cut back from 2-2 1/2 packs a day to a carton every 2 weeks or so. The only juice delivery device he will use is the little 1.2ml CE3 XL's and unflavored juice. Can't say that I blame him on the CE3's. They sure do deliver good vapor and for me, taste.

One of the most used and one of the truest statements is "Don't count the ones you smoke, count the ones you don't". That is the way I look at his smoking. Wish he could completely quit but it is his choice.

My original post from 2-17-2012:

So, what's changed? I'm 2 years older. And, in a few weeks, it will be 3 years since I switched to vaping. Also, I did eventually start to save money, lots of it.

There are lots of really good parts of ECF. But, the Old Folks threads are the most like home. They always have a cozy spot waiting for you to come back too and will answer any questions, no matter how simple or advanced.

mattiem, DancingHeretik,

I'm glad you brought your original intro posts forward and updated them. I was hoping people would do that. It's the main reason I asked the mods to keep the old threads open for a couple more days. Thanks

I started 'high' on the nic in the beginning thinking I'd need the higher concentration when I started vapin. Right off - I found it too much and dialed it down w/ my second order. I think because I was vapin' even more than I was smoking (2 1/2 PPD) I didn't need a level as high as I suspected back then.

Mike, I didn't get a chance to meet him, but I'm curious about the writing, or tatoos on his face.
I'm assuming it has to do with his native american heritage, but what did it say, ..what did it mean.

Slots - I don't recall what he said about the tatoos. Maybe someone else does.

I had a lil scare the past couple weeks..I developed another ulcer on 1 of my feet..
After 2 previous partial amputations..I wasn't looking forward to losing more body parts:(

Mul - nice! Glad it went better for you this time around. Vape on! :vapor:

Last edited:

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

I don't ever remember him explaining the facial tattoos. I assumed it had to do with tribal traditions related to storytelling.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA

View attachment 300672

That's a nice organizer for keeping next to your favorite chair. It's funny how often when we're out that we look at things in relation to vaping. One time i remember us checking out a toothbrush holder. I was pulling my devices out of my purse to see how they'd fit.

Greetings. Doing some insomniac thread reading you know, enjoying all your words. Here is a Twilight Zone getting-old moment I hope you all enjoy:

I was riding in an Amtrack train across the US. On long train trips, you become aware of those around you. The seat across the aisle from me had been empty for most of the trip, but was now occupied by an old man. Did not think much of him, just someone you look at and think "old man" in a way that you think is much older than yourself. Or "old woman" as the case may be.

Something strange about him though ... had to take a better look. I nearly came apart in my mind.

That man was me.

It was my own reflection in the window across the aisle, and it was night time so the reflection was vivid. Can't begin to explain how this freaked me out -- like seeing yourself from the outside. Anyone have anything like that happen to them?

My "OMG" moments happen frequently so they're not as intense. Our brains seem to want to hang onto how we saw our younger selves, probably because how we looked was so much more important to us then. I don't even remember what I looked like before my teen years. My shock these days is seeing my mother's face reflected in the mirror! Very disconcerting!

The best reason to keep here is that she kept YOU with all that smelliness. You will understand in about a month when your nose completely recovers :lol:

HA! Totally agree! I can't believe how bad I must have smelled especially when I thought I was being so careful by smoking outside. Once my smeller started working again, good smells smelled so much better, but the trade off was how bad the bad smells smell - especially cigarettes!

So now for my first, only vaguely vaping related post over here. For people who have been following my post fire saga I want to give Vaperite a special round of applause. Before I knew we'd get the car started on Monday, on Sunday night I put an order in for my favorite juice, with a note explaining why it would sure be nice if they could fill it as quickly as possible. They sent me the shipping/tracking e-mail before I got up on Monday, and the order arrived at the motel in Tuesday's mail.

Wow, how nice! I've never ordered form Vaperite before, but it's nice to know they can get the orders out quickly!

On the non-vaping front, the dog is at a nice kennel, and we did get the power back on at the house, so the cats will be okay as long as we bring water out for them. (Being cats they aren't nearly as upset about all of this as the poor dog is. Even though it's another strangeness, I think that he'll be better off without all of the upset at the house. And the kennel he's at is officially billed as a "dog resort" with play time, toys, lots of staff, so I don't feel totally guilty.)

I want to thank everyone for your good words and support. Now we just need to settle into the long slog of getting things repaired and cleaned up, or rebuilt, since we're right on the line of being "totalled" and they won't know for sure until the estmates get done. We're already going bats living in a motel room, but the insurance company is working on getting us switched to an apartment.

So sorry to hear the damage was so extensive. An apartment would be so much better than being stuck in a single room at a motel. At least your pup will have distractions and attention at a kennel instead of being alone in the house. One of the nice things about vaping is that we don't have to worry about how close the nearest door to the outside world is so we can go out for a smoke!

Thank you, all of you, for the history that this thread represents and will continue on.

I am a newbie but had become a permanent resident of what are now called the front and back porches. I love all you folks, and have been and will continue to appreciate all the history and wisdom here among you good folks.

I'm about to turn 59 yrs old next month, and smoked 2-3 packs a day since I was 15. Never thought I could or would quit, but vaping has absolutely made all that possible. I'm spared from devastating bad health effects from smoking (so far), and I always thought myself immune. But the coughing, and the cost, the COST -- finally got me to make up my mind, and I'm certain that I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without the support of vaping. And when I found this forum, I knew that folks just like me are here, and so supportive and experienced ... well, I THANK YOU ALL!

I feel very privileged to be here with you good people.

Things have been rough in my personal life lately, and if there were ever a reason to grab a carton of cigs, it has happened. But my pvs and my stash of e-liquids have more than gotten me through it. Thanks for being here for all of us!

Sorry to hear you're having troubles, but glad to know that vaping is helping to get you through it without making matters worse by smoking. Hang in there, it will pass as it always does. A very wise friend told us in one of the most tragic times in our lives, "you won't always feel like this". Yes, we knew that, but sometimes we need to be reminded.

Do you find you taste the juice better in some places than in others? Like if I'm outside on smoking break and it's windy I don't seem to taste it as well as I do in my house with no wind or breeze... maybe it has something to do with smell...

Yes, Mike and I have noticed that too. Thought it might just be psychological because we don't see plumes of smoke outside, but you could be right about the smell being part of it too.

Doctors say that smoking interferes with healing so this could be some proof. Nice to hear that that was your experience and I'm glad that the ulcer didn't lead to more serious problems. Wonder if we'll hear more stories like this.

umanbean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2009
Georgia, USA
Howdy good folks! Hope being 57 "qualifies" me for this "old folks" thread. :)

I am SO glad I re-discovered this site! (and still remembered my password for it)... gonna need the moral support.

My e-cig bio: (hopefully, the short version)--

I'm married (22 yrs.) to a good woman, two kids, self-employed computer tech... been smoking a pack-a-day of M'bro reds since my teens. I "discovered" e-cigs in '09 and my first purchase was a DSE901 starter kit from e-smokeytreats... joined here shortly after. I totally quit the analogs from the first day my kit came in the mail, seemingly without even trying. That lasted about 6-8 months before I got tired of constantly fiddling with cart fillers, leaks, weak hits, 4+ batts per day, etc. etc. etc. Moved up to a 510 kit and that was better, at least I could get a good TH and some decent vapor, but I eventually tired of constantly fiddling with it too. So after less than a year, went back to the "stinkies" as y'all call 'em now. Just got fed up with the unreliability of the off-the-shelf e-cigs of the day, and didn't really want to get into Mods (actually, still don't... I have plenty of hobbies already).

I bought my first e-cigs mostly out of curiosity... because I'm an inveterate tinkerer and gadget freak. Quitting smoking was actually not the initial goal, almost a side-effect, so I wasn't really serious about it. This time around however, I'm dead serious about quitting the nasty things!

After a few days of research, on April 24th I called e-smokey and Rich recommended their JuiceMate kit... an eGo-T 650mAh batt with a basically disposable clearomizer, but I'm still using the one that came with the kit. Again, from the day it arrived (almost) every time I had a nic-craving I hit it instead of lighting up an analog... I've smoked less than 10 stinkies since, and haven't had one all this week. :D

With this JuiceMate system, I've had very few of the old issues... it's easy to fill, no leaks, consistently good hits, and a fresh batt will last me all the workday. Will soon order in some extra batts. and a good supply of the clearomizers.

Now, I'm on the search for a good everyday juice that tastes as much like a M'bro as possible. Wish me luck!

OK, so it wasn't so short... ;)

disclaimer: I have no affiliation with e-smokey. They're just good people and I have no problem saying so.

^^^ My first post in the original Older Folks thread. Thanks mostly to the nice folks in this thread, I've come a long way since. :)

MikeE3, Thanks! for your hard work and attention to detail... to start this thread the "right" way! And you did. Tx can be proud. Just another reason why this thread is my ECF "home".

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
The best reason to keep here is that she kept YOU with all that smelliness. You will understand in about a month when your nose completely recovers :lol:

Oh man, I hear you on that ! Last night I got a jacket out of the closet and the thing smelled so bad I couldn't wear it. They are all going in the washer or to the dry cleaner today.

Danidoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Chicago
So I have been lurking in this thread for a few weeks. I have actually read the whole thing and feel like I know all of you!

I am not quite an "older folk" at 43 years old... But I like you folks. You are friendly and helpful in an easy to understand way that I am just a fan of.

I have been smoke free since May 19th. The very first day my kgo starter kit showed up. I used the crappy little cartridges with the atomizer it came with until I was driven to the interwebs to find a better thing I knew had to be out there. I found the stardusts and am reasonably happy with them but am still searching for a perfect juice delivery system. I have a rather low fiddle factor tolerance so I am somewhat limited. I also have a aesthetic desire that my juice delivery system be in line with the battery. Not bigger and not smaller. Again limiting me. I did see the recommendation here for the Kanger t2 and I am sorry to say I may be a part of the reason DV is sold out... I bought 5. I like them but a word of warning, my tangerine juice is cracking the tank. So perfect delivery continues to elude me.

Now that i have introduced myself I plan on joining this discussions from time to time!

So I haven't posted here in forever but I read it daily and have read every post in the original thread. I am a professional lurker...

I still haven't touched a stinky since May 19th 2012 and it continues to amaze me how easy it was for me. I have made it my mission to help other smokers switch. I have had 5 complete converts and many partial conversions. I still prefer the 14500/14650 size batteries so Kgo Ego are my main batteries but I do have 2 mechanical mods in that size (something that will always work in case of the apocalypse ya know). Kanger T2 and T3 are still my go to toppers but thanks to you fine folks I have tried the Davide which I like but am afraid of since my first ProTank met an untimely demise on a tile floor.

Thank you for all the amazing stories and advice you have given me without ever knowing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread