Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
You are correct, microcoils are shorts. However the purpose of a tensioned microcoil is to create the optimal relationship of turns so that the wind can be uniformly oxidized. It's not, it will short. Just like a formed coil which can't reach the potential of a strained coil for uniformity. So it exhibits loss in the form of diffusion to air as res goes unpredictably higher. As I just commented on earlier on another thread the deficiency shows up in operation and not during preparation as you must use high voltage to finish forming a hand wind into close contact. When you're cookin' the wind into high-red yellow zone everything looks just dandy (including the leads on an overtightened coil). Even, balanced moderate strain's the ticket.

It applies to all that the more symmetrical in form and strain the wind the better the output…if it's a contact coil.

G'luck p3d.

:)

Thanks for the input MacT. You now, every time I read another post of yours explaining the phenomenon I find out something new and understand a bit more the concept. That said, I think the gaps between my winds are so big that liquid isolates them from shorting too. Although I do get pops as I mentioned earlier and I can only suppose they are shorts where the winds are at closest contact. What is also curious to me, is that these pops happen most of the times at the first vape I take after a rest period. i.e when wire is cold

Reactions: MacTechVpr

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Thanks for the input MacT. You now, every time I read another post of yours explaining the phenomenon I find out something new and understand a bit more the concept. That said, I think the gaps between my winds are so big that liquid isolates them from shorting too. Although I do get pops as I mentioned earlier and I can only suppose they are shorts where the winds are at closest contact. What is also curious to me, is that these pops happen most of the times at the first vape I take after a rest period. i.e when wire is cold
Those pops with the first vape after a rest period happen with every coil. I believe it is because the juice in the wick/coil "congeals" or begins to dry and harden over time and so when first heated there is some heavier form of surface tension that explodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
Those pops with the first vape after a rest period happen with every coil. I believe it is because the juice in the wick/coil "congeals" or begins to dry and harden over time and so when first heated there is some heavier form of surface tension that explodes.

It probably is the liquid, yes. Should be the same thing that happens when dripping water in hot oil or the pops/crackles when wood is burning

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I actually just got my first 8" of alien down without major mistakes yesterday. Some of the wraps are a little spaced but the majority are pretty great. I'm going to try it out again today but with a longer length

And how are you finding the vape from it? im loving it :D

Reactions: Tom Forde

Kevo333

Sep 16, 2014
United States
24g kanthal figure eight coils, first time trying this, not bad.
012b11cec9ca62330eeba637a137b44c.jpg
20ceacc4a58e6b592ac9f853f622a68d.jpg
ed6f545086c77a66cfb9875c6e5fc63f.jpg

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
And how are you finding the vape from it? im loving it :D
I haven't installed it yet! I'm waiting for my dual fused claptons 26g staggered with 34/36g to stop being so awesomely flavorful in my Petri so I can install it as a single coil through the posts in my atty. I will update when I install it, until then, I'm going to give 28g N80 a shot with the alien coil. 3 strands of 28g with a 34g wrap is much thinner in profile than 3 strands of 26g.

On another note: here's my new mutation x v3 build!
image.jpg
6 wrap 24g Rugged Wires "married" quads...I only made it to throw huge clouds :D

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

My pleasure. Just a reminder that a baseline straight wire t.m.c. is a good barometer. I kinda think tho that liquid is conductive. Gotta constantly monitor tight vertical builds (454's, zRDA's, Magma, Soldado) to make sure there's no surface tension bridge between posts and coils or performance goes way down.

Think jj's on to somethin'. IME popping is the natural result of too hot for the flow. Like water hitting the surface of a hot dry skillet. It's gonna pop and sizzle. It's a point where you're going to see the greatest diffusion however as opposed to vaporization. So sizzle builds are heating a lot of air. Not telling anyone what to build here. Only suggesting observation. You can balance the outcome with your build. And you can build high sizzle diffusion builds with t.m.c.'s. I do all the time with Nextel (ceramic fiber, RxW) which can handle the power. Depends on the juice, hardware…what I'm vapin'.

I say use tension to put as much effective power on a wick as possible. Don't see much to favor spacing wire (limiting the power to the contact area) that can't be accomplished by efficiency. More vaporization gets ya more vapor and flavor. Want more diffusion…increase airflow and/or the winds aspect ratio. I haven't seen any argument or math in two years that convinces me that reducing the power cap of a wind for a given geometry can produce more vapor or flavor. But it sure sells a lot of box mods.

G'luck all.

:)

p.s. Re the 1st par. gotta say yeah, and Nextel is that wet within a few secs when chaining. Breaks in and just gets better and better.

Last edited:
Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Believe it or not, she fits inside the doge v2 and fires without touching the sidewalls and shorting out. Stitched alien stovetop using 2 strands of twisted 26g N80 & 32g N60 with a single strand of 26 in the center for the core. Alien wrap is 30g N80 stitched with 32g N60. First stovetop I'm actually proud of.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Vatic

Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
Ohio
human bone will graft onto titanium without any adverse or allergic reaction. He merely said it was bio compatible, which is true and neither Kanthal or nickel ( which produces something called "nickel carbynol", ( a very toxic ) substance when heated and that nickel or Ni200, 201 becomes highly volatile at 671 degrees. That's its "Curie Point", thus why all TC mods only go to 600, less than a human body temp away, and you know some people are putting those Nickel builds on mechs. Oh, and Nickel is on the EPA's top priority hazardous substance list.......Ok, sorry. I'll stop.

proteckt3d

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Denmark
human bone will graft onto titanium without any adverse or allergic reaction. He merely said it was bio compatible, which is true and neither Kanthal or nickel ( which produces something called "nickel carbynol", ( a very toxic ) substance when heated and that nickel or Ni200, 201 becomes highly volatile at 671 degrees. That's its "Curie Point", thus why all TC mods only go to 600, less than a human body temp away, and you know some people are putting those Nickel builds on mechs. Oh, and Nickel is on the EPA's top priority hazardous substance list.......Ok, sorry. I'll stop.

My guess is that issues with Ni alloy and temperatures are known and accepted here.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
Here is the same Alien from two weeks ago, this is a Record for me, normally i get bored after a week and have to change to a dif coil to hit the taste buds from a dif angle, here he is a little black but still hitting as well ..

so well in fact i had to make him a a brother and sister incase he ever dies on me, this one is on the twisted messes..

this one below is setup with the coil directly infront of the airflow but works much better above or slightly above plus it will straighten out the wick on the left hand side giving more airflow to the coil that side, which is what i did after posting the pic ;)

getting quite a varied range on the ohms with this wire though from coil to coil, all the same mandrel, wraps etc but anything between 0.08-0.05

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Here is the same Alien from two weeks ago, this is a Record for me, normally i get bored after a week and have to change to a dif coil to hit the taste buds from a dif angle, here he is a little black but still hitting as well ..

so well in fact i had to make him a a brother and sister incase he ever dies on me, this one is on the twisted messes..

this one below is setup with the coil directly infront of the airflow but works much better above or slightly above plus it will straighten out the wick on the left hand side giving more airflow to the coil that side, which is what i did after posting the pic ;)

getting quite a varied range on the ohms with this wire though from coil to coil, all the same mandrel, wraps etc but anything between 0.08-0.05
You're so weird slippy lol. I still don't get how you can like alien wire and unoxidized spaced simple builds as well.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
You're so weird slippy lol. I still don't get how you can like alien wire and unoxidized spaced simple builds as well.

HAHAHA mate i dont get how you cant get an A1 vape from it, maybe i'm a magic eel!? :lol:

i have even tried to go as simple as 2 or 3 wrap open duals but ive found that they tend to produce hot legs that i cant seem to shake

Last edited:
Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL

Slippy's electric…he loves the voltage and the heat. No tootie puffer he.

:D Luck all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread