Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
When you say Rayon, people associate that with clothing not vaping.

That's fair, but we got past cotton pretty quick. :p

Seriously though, I do think that, plus the misconception about its properties which must be [confident tribuging (way too good to lose that autocorrect)] contributing to it. And at the end of the day, because nobody is making any coin on it, nobody's pushing it en masse.

Well who can argue with that? Case closed! :D

Sorry, Rayon. Lucky us!

Last edited:

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
PicsArt_10-01-08.28.46.jpg

Just pulled on this for several minutes before realizing I wasn't really getting any flavour anymore. The photo doesn't properly show how dry and white that wick is, seriously. This is after about 30ml of sweet juice so far.

[EDIT] ROFL, I've had my Rayon for months and I just noticed my generic looking Rayon actually IS fancy vaper stuff. "Kwik Wikz". $6 from an overpriced B&M for what I'm gonna eyeball as two years' supply.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
View attachment 689693

Just pulled on this for several minutes before realizing I wasn't really getting any flavour anymore. The photo doesn't properly show how dry and white that wick is, seriously. This is after about 30ml of sweet juice so far.

[EDIT] ROFL, I've had my Rayon for months and I just noticed my generic looking Rayon actually IS fancy vaper stuff. "Kwik Wikz". $6 from an overpriced B&M for what I'm gonna eyeball as two years' supply.

When you can do that you know you've got everything about perfect.

Looks great!

I ran my Genesis style tank completely dry to the bone and the wick doesn't even touch the bottom, just the side right now.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
I've been toying around with a fancy "vaper's cotton" this week (VCC) and while it's lovely stuff (seriously, I want my clothes made of this cotton), it is laughably inappropriate for vaping. It also acts unusually, expanding and contracting drastically based on how wet or dry it is. I can't say I've perfected my wicks with it yet, so I'm holding off on final judgment until I find a density that isn't problematic. The cotton itself is combed beautifully and has very long fibres, and resists scorching unlike any other fibre I've used, but it's finickier than rayon, doesn't wick like "normal" cotton, and doesn't ever seem to break in.

Why am I mentioning this here? Because I simply can't understand the apparently successful cottage industry of snake oil salesmen in the cotton world. Rayon is easy to source, cheap, and flat-out superior to every wicking option I've encountered so far (still want to get my hands on hemp). And for Pete's sake, even among cotton options, plain 'ol KGD sits at the top.

So why, WHY is rayon not our defacto other wicking option at this point? Why is it still on the fringes of vaping? How are these fancy cotton suppliers still going?

Well, I guess that's my fault for fully exposing a basically free source of Rayon... They can't make it that much better that the sources we've made available.. SO who would pay a 5,000% markup.

They can't make any money off it.. Guess we made it a not for profit wick, of no interest to resale market.

I would agree it probably still highly misunderstood out there... and the nillies running around are all; don't risk it, it's bad.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Well, I guess that's my fault for fully exposing a basically free source of Rayon... They can't make it that much better that the sources we've made available.. SO who would pay a 5,000% markup. In order to make money today you would have to mark it up high.

They can't make any money off it.. Guess we made it a not for profit wick.

It's The Peoples' Wick™. Closest thing to wicking with grass roots.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Got a hold of some rayon to use for wick. I currently have only tried it in a Kanger subtank mini. Vape is pretty good, good taste and not dry hits or spitting. But occasionally I do get a slight amount of gurgling along with popping.

I put the rayon in fairly tight in the coil. A ss316 coil with 3 mm inner diameter at .65 ohm. I trimmed the rayon so there wasn't too much pushed down on the deck.

So based on occasional gurgling and popping, is there too little rayon or too much?

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
3mm is too large in my experience. Not enough room around the outside for air flow and large diameter allows to much juice flow. Assuming a horizontal coil in the RBA. I use 2.5mm in mine. But I also have 1.2 ohm at 23 watts. Gurgling usually requires more watts.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
It's laughable to think how long one could go without rewicking rayon with unflavored

Hmmm. I've got a couple of setups running unflaved with our beloved wick. Guess I'll talk to ya next year. ;)

I think one thing that prevents rayon from being even more popular is the misconception that rayon is some kind of plastic. Combine that with the number of folks that just don't use RBA/RTA/RDA atomizers and opt for prebuilt stuff

I likey some prebuilt coils (CLRs), but I always rewick them with the R-Beloved.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Got a hold of some rayon to use for wick. I currently have only tried it in a Kanger subtank mini. Vape is pretty good, good taste and not dry hits or spitting. But occasionally I do get a slight amount of gurgling along with popping.

I put the rayon in fairly tight in the coil. A ss316 coil with 3 mm inner diameter at .65 ohm. I trimmed the rayon so there wasn't too much pushed down on the deck.

So based on occasional gurgling and popping, is there too little rayon or too much?

3mm might be slightly large for an STmini but I ran 2.8mm coils in mine with no gurgling. 2.8mm might sound like a weird size but that's what it comes out to by winding 24g Ti on a 6-32 screw to make perfect spaced coils.
Gurgling simply means your deck is flooding. You may need to run a little more power, you may have a leaky seal somewhere or if the gurgling is intermittent it may be caused by moving your atty from a cool environment (indoors) to a warmer one (outdoors).

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
3mm might be slightly large for an STmini but I ran 2.8mm coils in mine with no gurgling. 2.8mm might sound like a weird size but that's what it comes out to by winding 24g Ti on a 6-32 screw to make perfect spaced coils.
Gurgling simply means your deck is flooding. You may need to run a little more power, you may have a leaky seal somewhere or if the gurgling is intermittent it may be caused by moving your atty from a cool environment (indoors) to a warmer one (outdoors).

Had been using 3 mm with cotton without any issues. The 3 mm with rayon wasn't really an issue as it vaped alright and didn't leak anywhere. Just the occasional popping and slight gurgle every once in awhile. I think it had something to do with the wicking. Probably too much rayon.

I have rebuilt it at 2.5 mm and put the wicking tight in the coil but trimmed a lot of the tail off them. It is working great with no popping, gurgle or leaking.

So you are probably right that the 3 mm is too large of an inner diameter.

Definitely tastes better than the cotton since there is no detectable taste from the wick. Cotton to me always had a slight taste of its own.

Have dumped cotton at this point. Redid all my CLR coils with rayon too along with the skyline clone. All work great and taste great.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Had been using 3 mm with cotton without any issues. The 3 mm with rayon wasn't really an issue as it vaped alright and didn't leak anywhere. Just the occasional popping and slight gurgle every once in awhile. I think it had something to do with the wicking. Probably too much rayon.

I have rebuilt it at 2.5 mm and put the wicking tight in the coil but trimmed a lot of the tail off them. It is working great with no popping, gurgle or leaking.

So you are probably right that the 3 mm is too large of an inner diameter.

Definitely tastes better than the cotton since there is no detectable taste from the wick. Cotton to me always had a slight taste of its own.

Have dumped cotton at this point. Redid all my CLR coils with rayon too along with the skyline clone. All work great and taste great.
I've been using 2mm Rayon coils and the flavor crazy great! I've always used 2.5 and 3mm coils in my tanks until another member suggested the 2mm. It still amazes me how it tastes better. Try it next.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Why am I mentioning this here? Because I simply can't understand the apparently successful cottage industry of snake oil salesmen in the cotton world.

The same goes for all the 'premium' wire crap. People just want to feel overly special, to feel that they're using 'the best' of whatever item. And since people often equate 'the best' with being higher priced. Bragging rights, I guess.:rolleyes: (Or like that one person, just bored with money to burn. Umm, almost literally. :))

Even the use of Claptons is silly overpriced garbage to me, when rayon is used. IMO there's no need for that whole 'wire module' to make up for cotton's lousy wicking characteristics. I've notice no difference at all between Clapton, twisted, or plain - with rayon. Maybe that's just me. .... Now, if someone wants to use Clapton because they find it fun to make or just because it looks cool/neat, then that's another story. Heck, I usually use twisted myself - but only because I like making them. Though making Claptons would be too much of a PITA for my tastes, for no perceived benefit.

Yeah, for tanks I usually do 2 or 2.5. The 2.5 simply because I find it easier to stuff with rayon than the 'tiny' 2mm. For tanks though, there's not really much need for bigger. For RDA's though, the bigger widths can hold more rayon, and therefore more juice - so I usually try for about 3mm, or 2.5 minimum.

Brain Fart: Is it just me, or do people think of that SNL skit every single time they see the word "juice"?
"You lika da juice, heeeyy?"o_O

Brobdingnagian

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm impatient too. That's why I don't plan on trying to make any tobacco flavor stuff until I am a bit more experienced. It's gonna be painful though. I've been vaping tobacco ejuices almost exclusively for the whole year I've been vaping. Time to branch out.

My best suggestion is to throw together one or two big bottles of tobacco flavors in the steep closet. They'll taste great by the time you vape your shake & vapes and other mixes. The only difficult part about tobaccos is waiting for them to steep. Artificial tobacco flavors can range from steeping much faster than natural tobaccos, to needing longer.

Admittedly, some NETs need months to develop their full flavor, but I always vape them fresh and rotate flavors a lot or I lose my sensitivity to the nuances.

Why am I mentioning this here? Because I simply can't understand the apparently successful cottage industry of snake oil salesmen in the cotton world. Rayon is easy to source, cheap, and flat-out superior to every wicking option I've encountered so far (still want to get my hands on hemp). And for Pete's sake, even among cotton options, plain 'ol KGD sits at the top.

So why, WHY is rayon not our defacto other wicking option at this point? Why is it still on the fringes of vaping? How are these fancy cotton suppliers still going?

Because for many people, non-organic dental cotton (cotton bacon) is the "best". If something is packaged in a way that's convenient and looks fancy compared to just buying a bag of cotton, it's really easy for people to feel they're actually getting something superior.

Since I was a heavy rayon skeptic who was gung-ho about cotton until I realized how terribly inefficient it was for vaping compared to rayon (and considering the amount of singed/burnt cotton I saw in my years of vaping up to now, possibly hazardous) my skepticism really was hugely influenced the attitude towards hearing "rayon" more than realizing "oh, it's just cellulose. I know what that is."

Sure, that part I get - the folks selling the stuff aren't fools. I'm looking at it from the angle of why it (Rayon) hasn't clicked with the vaping crowd at large.

Too many people who do try rayon wick it using older guidelines, then assume it just tastes funny and stop using it. At least, that's the trend I notice. I tossed together my dad's first rebuildable the other day with rayon and SS fused claptons, I wouldn't do that unless I felt it was safe enough to use over cotton.

I think one thing that prevents rayon from being even more popular is the misconception that rayon is some kind of plastic. Combine that with the number of folks that just don't use RBA/RTA/RDA atomizers and opt for prebuilt stuff and it's somewhat of an uphill battle. It would be nice if manufacturers adopted rayon the way they seem to have adopted cotton and it's surprising they haven't since rayon is so inexpensive.

Absolutely. I'd like to rename it if I could, but considering Cellucotton is close enough to what I'd call it, I prefer saying that over rayon until I've explained what it is and its properties vs cotton. "It's basically pure cellulose wick."

But realize that they'd sell less pre-built coils if they put rayon in them- everyone would be getting crazy life out of them.

That's fair, but we got past cotton pretty quick. :p

Seriously though, I do think that, plus the misconception about its properties which must be [confident tribuging (way too good to lose that autocorrect)] contributing to it. And at the end of the day, because nobody is making any coin on it, nobody's pushing it en masse.

Well who can argue with that? Case closed! :D

Sorry, Rayon. Lucky us!

Another thing I notice is the "toxic chemicals" argument. Nevermind the fact cotton is degummed with the same chemical used in the production of rayon, the only really hazardous one has dropped in its frequent use. Bottom line for me is I tend to burn cotton. I was curious, so I pulled my rayon wicks that I'd done perfectly and no burning whatsoever after vaping at high power, and if anything is going to release more junk it's something I burn.

That's not to say I'm not curious which of the two processes Graham uses to make theirs, just because I like to know things. Rayon will surpass cotton eventually. There's always a way for someone to re-package it or process it to make it different enough they've got some marketing points that up-sell their version as a "superior" form.

Well, I guess that's my fault for fully exposing a basically free source of Rayon... They can't make it that much better that the sources we've made available.. SO who would pay a 5,000% markup.

They can't make any money off it.. Guess we made it a not for profit wick, of no interest to resale market.

I would agree it probably still highly misunderstood out there... and the nillies running around are all; don't risk it, it's bad.

Well, I thank you for exposing said source. It did make me very aware of my over-flavoring to compensate for cotton's flavor loss, and it's nice to not be burning my wicking material.

I think that they can make money off of it, it's just that they haven't really tried to. If more companies offered rayon as a filling in pre-made coils...

Let's just say, I would bet money I don't have that whoever does it first is going to get very positive feedback about how good the life and flavor is on that product's coils/wicks.

Just as cotton is cheap before being repackaged, so is rayon. I guess a problem could be that people would be trying to wick with it exactly like cotton (and thus having problems) unless it had instructions.

I nearly responded to one post where someone said it was an inappropriate recommendation for a long-term vaper as they could be exposed to toxins. Thus, I began the creation of a new wall of text, right before my SATA port came loose from my motherboard and I lost the post (BSOD, luckily that's all).

Essentially, I think people need everything about rayon condensed into one specific spot or they glance at it and go "too much trouble, sticking with cotton".

But, you know, I don't see people tracking down certification reports for cotton... what region it comes from, who certified it, ect... you'd think all of this would be helpful to know, but as it stands even the safety of organic cotton is more questionable than rayon, even if you assume the rayon is being produced with the "more toxic" of the two methods used to create viscose.

EDIT: Also, for anyone wondering, the Kylin RTA experiences no leaking at all when rayon is used as a wick. I've put 60ml through this tank in the past few days and I only got a tiny bit of condensation after filling with the juice channels wide open / cap off too long.

I got even more curious, filled it up and left juice flow and airflow wide open overnight, did the same last night. No leaking. Not a single drop.

Just another reason I'll keep using rayon.

Last edited:

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The same goes for all the 'premium' wire crap. People just want to feel overly special, to feel that they're using 'the best' of whatever item. And since people often equate 'the best' with being higher priced. Bragging rights, I guess.:rolleyes: (Or like that one person, just bored with money to burn. Umm, almost literally. :))

Even the use of Claptons is silly overpriced garbage to me, when rayon is used. IMO there's no need for that whole 'wire module' to make up for cotton's lousy wicking characteristics. I've notice no difference at all between Clapton, twisted, or plain - with rayon. Maybe that's just me. .... Now, if someone wants to use Clapton because they find it fun to make or just because it looks cool/neat, then that's another story. Heck, I usually use twisted myself - but only because I like making them. Though making Claptons would be too much of a PITA for my tastes, for no perceived benefit.

Yeah, for tanks I usually do 2 or 2.5. The 2.5 simply because I find it easier to stuff with rayon than the 'tiny' 2mm. For tanks though, there's not really much need for bigger. For RDA's though, the bigger widths can hold more rayon, and therefore more juice - so I usually try for about 3mm, or 2.5 minimum.

Brain Fart: Is it just me, or do people think of that SNL skit every single time they see the word "juice"?
"You lika da juice, heeeyy?"o_O
Personally I find the flavor and vapor production from claptons to greatly surpass single wire builds any day. I have gotten use to the vapor density from fused clapton builds and have a hard time going back to single wire. I still dig out the roll of 22g every now and then for a build.

I haven't used 2 or 2.5mm builds since the days of the Kafun... All my RTA's usually have at least a 3.5mm build in them and a pair of my Aromamizer Plus' have 5mm coils. It's nice to be able to just pull the whole strand of Sally's through and trim.

I sold the 30mm Temple RDA but it had 6mm ID coils in it at the time, that thing had airflow for days.
9117936.jpg

Local B&M clouds bro dudes would literally choke on the vapor density. :lol:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I also had the problem of in order to use 28K/34K spaced clapton to be over 1.2ohm in a STM it had to be a 3.5 ID, 5 wraps and adapted to fit. It took over the entire inside of the RBA leaving very little room for the airflow. Using huge amount of rayon but once thinned out the tails it was no issue. Just for fun I manufactured a 30K/34K clapton just to see and wow....it works great. With a 2.5ID, 4 wraps, fits nicely inside the RBA with lots of room for air to pass and no manipulating the coil to fit. Came out to 1.4ohm, nice ohm for my wife and fire my work provari. I also built 30K/34SS, 30K/34Ni all with the same great vape results. I fire the 30K/34 clapton at 14.0-14.5 watts or 4.0-4.2volts depending on the hitter.
I thought for a long time that the clapton was a gimmick. After the day the TFV4's I bought in a coop showed up with a clapton pre-installed into the RBA I was amazed then hooked on claptons. I now rarely build a single wire coil...all claptons.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I must be one of the great unwashed, neither single wire nor Clapton. I fell into twisted 26, it works well for me so I stick with it. I've got a lot of Clapton and exotic wire, plus all the coils that come with the various rda/rta I've picked up, haven't been faintly tempted to use them.

Ignorance is bliss [emoji1]

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I tried a Clapton and MEH, used one and the rest of the box of 20 just sits on my desk. I do use twisted 28 gauge in both SS430, SS312 and TI. It's OK, but I get similar results, at least similar results to me, from a single wire coil and IF everything is right and I do the eggplant dance under a full moon it's really outstanding. As with everything vaping, tastes and preferences vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread