Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
So far, I've only done that with the stuff I need for peaches and cream. That was my ADV for over a year, but I'm finally starting to come up with a few new recipes. I've completely redone my honeyed pear, and it still needs a little tweaking. I'm just not sure where to go with it... it seems to be missing something that I can't quite put my finger on.
Peaches and pears is very nice. Also, sweet and sour and bubble gum can do nice things to off target juices. Lots of choices. Good luck! :toast: :D

:thumb: :vapor:

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Okay, well here is my vanilla custard recipe. I think that I am finally happy with this one... even though it really needs to steep for about a month. :(

Brickhouse Custard
TFA Vanilla Custard - 10%
TFA French Vanilla Creme - 5%
TFA Dulce De Leche - 5%
TFA Egg Nog - 5%
TFA Vanilla Bourbon - 3%
TFA Sweetener = 2%
Thanks Kazz! I've been waiting for you to finish thisd Be sure to post it on the Porch, I think Littlebird was watching too.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    I was out shopping with my wife today and was looking for a container to store my flavors in. It's hard to find what I have pictured in my head. I saw some acrylic nail polish holders that would have been good but each one only held fifteen bottles and I know I'm over the 80 flavor mark. I ended up settling for a clear container with a snap on lid that is tall enough to fit a 30ml bottle. I'm going to keep looking.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Hahaha! Yeah, I remember that you're as big of a vanilla addict as I am. It's a very vanilla mix, to my tastebuds. Seems to get a little sweeter over time, as well. I also really like what the Dulce de Leche did for it... I'm really looking forward to hearing what others think of this one. It's the best vanilla custard I've tried in all of my 7 years of vaping... but I'm a bit biased. ;)
    Ok,it's done haha.Made up a batch of this tonight,so the end of May,i'll report my findings haha.After just a few hours,it smells fantastic,so it's going to be hard letting it sit,but if i hide it good enough it might make the full time haha.

Slots

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    Eastern Wa.
    I was out shopping with my wife today and was looking for a container to store my flavors in. It's hard to find what I have pictured in my head.
    Hope I can explain this right.. (for concentrated flavor storage)
    I use those plastic storage containers with the three drawers.
    I think there is a Wall-Mart everywhere, and they carry a large selection of them.
    Some are 13 X 13, and some are about 10 X 10 or so. They stack which makes them handy., and they are basically "see-thru"
    I can label the drawers with the "peel-off" labels in case I want to change it.
    I started out filling them by separating the flavors .. fruit .. bakery ..etc.
    Now, I've got them filled by company.
    Some drawers are filled by one company, and some have more than one.
    The bottles don't have to "stand up".
    Instead of picking up each bottle one at a time to read the name, like you have to do when then are standing up, I just roll them around to go through them.
    Also, laying on their side in those drawers, I can double stack them (2 layers).
    They very seldom ever leak.
    But .. It's easy to go after what I'm looking for when I want it, and the units stack on a shelf in the linen closet.
    I can just grab one individual drawer, or several at a time and take it to where I'm going to mix and pick out what I need.
    I have even more flavors than you do, and it's been the easiest way for me to become organized.
    When I want to put two or more different flavor company's in the same drawer, I use those little plastic square or long drawer dividers, so they don't get mixed up.
    Once I've made the juice, it is stored upright on a different shelf, not in drawers :p
    Hope that gives you some more ideas for storing the concentrates .

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    My plan was to stand them up, number the top of each bottle and make a numbered list to keep inside the container. That way I could just look at the list, pull the numbers I need for that recipe and put them back in order.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    My plan was to stand them up, number the top of each bottle and make a numbered list to keep inside the container. That way I could just look at the list, pull the numbers I need for that recipe and put them back in order.
    You are describing what I basically do Hittman; and I just had to revamp my "system" (or lack thereof :facepalm:) last week. My latest flavoring order/shipment has pushed me over 180 different flavors on hand and over 210 if you count the ones still remaining on my current wishlist. Sadly it has outgrown my previous method using the plastic drawers that Slots was describing. I was never a huge fan of those for all my small 8ml. testers (which is primarily what I use) because the bottoms of the drawers are not completely flat, so the tiny bottles had a tendency to shift and tilt, and they are semi-translucent so they are not great at keeping the light out. But they are great for all the rest of my gear.

So I went on a mission last week to find something that would work for me. After going to Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Walmart, I found myself at Hobby Lobby. First I looked at their plastics but nothing wowed me (I really was looking for something with squared, as opposed to rounded, corners so the small bottles would have solid contact). So then I started wandering through the store for ideas. I found some serving trays that really intrigued me; squared low sides, nice and rigid, and tons of room. they don't have a lid but I intended to put it in a linen closet when I wasn't mixing so that wasn't a deal breaker. Actually I could actually put all of my mixing liquids (other than the refrigerated ones) on it regardless of size and still have copious amounts of room. The only real drawbacks to me were I was afraid it might be too big (read "unwieldy," "heavy," "space-hog," and wouldn't promote stacking), and expensive. My being a cheap old geezer; price was it's greatest offense at about $20. So I continued to look around.
    That's when I stumbled upon these: 12" x 12" Photo Storage Box | Hobby Lobby | 190470
    I paid the full $7 but I see they are now half price. The dimensions are listed as 12" x 12" but mine measures 12 5/8" x 12 5/8" x3" deep internally. The slip-over lid has a 1 1/4" lip so it will accommodate bottles a taller than 3"
    The Photo Box and a piece of foam board: http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Canvas-Surfaces/Foam-Board/White-20"-x-30"-Foam-Board/p/101651
    and I was ready to go to work.
    I cut the foam board into 1 3/4" strips to make row dividers and cut them at the full 12 5/8" length to make sure they were snug and stayed in place on their own without having to glue or tape them into position. That way I can move, remove later if my needs change.
    That has left me with this:

clnire

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    Florida
    You are describing what I basically do Hittman; and I just had to revamp my "system" (or lack thereof :facepalm:) last week. My latest flavoring order/shipment has pushed me over 180 different flavors on hand and over 210 if you count the ones still remaining on my current wishlist. Sadly it has outgrown my previous method using the plastic drawers that Slots was describing. I was never a huge fan of those for all my small 8ml. testers (which is primarily what I use) because the bottoms of the drawers are not completely flat, so the tiny bottles had a tendency to shift and tilt, and they are semi-translucent so they are not great at keeping the light out. But they are great for all the rest of my gear.

So I went on a mission last week to find something that would work for me. After going to Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Walmart, I found myself at Hobby Lobby. First I looked at their plastics but nothing wowed me (I really was looking for something with squared, as opposed to rounded, corners so the small bottles would have solid contact). So then I started wandering through the store for ideas. I found some serving trays that really intrigued me; squared low sides, nice and rigid, and tons of room. they don't have a lid but I intended to put it in a linen closet when I wasn't mixing so that wasn't a deal breaker. Actually I could actually put all of my mixing liquids (other than the refrigerated ones) on it regardless of size and still have copious amounts of room. The only real drawbacks to me were I was afraid it might be too big (read "unwieldy," "heavy," "space-hog," and wouldn't promote stacking), and expensive. My being a cheap old geezer; price was it's greatest offense at about $20. So I continued to look around.
    That's when I stumbled upon these: 12" x 12" Photo Storage Box | Hobby Lobby | 190470
    I paid the full $7 but I see they are now half price. The dimensions are listed as 12" x 12" but mine measures 12 5/8" x 12 5/8" x3" deep internally. The slip-over lid has a 1 1/4" lip so it will accommodate bottles a taller than 3"
    The Photo Box and a piece of foam board: http://www.hobbylobby.com/Art-Supplies/Canvas-Surfaces/Foam-Board/White-20"-x-30"-Foam-Board/p/101651
    and I was ready to go to work.
    I cut the foam board into 1 3/4" strips to make row dividers and cut them at the full 12 5/8" length to make sure they were snug and stayed in place on their own without having to glue or tape them into position. That way I can move, remove later if my needs change.
    That has left me with this:

Wow, I think a trip to Hobby Lobby is in order.. Need other things from there too, so on the list! If I don't wrote it down it doesn't happen!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    Wow, I think a trip to Hobby Lobby is in order.. Need other things from there too, so on the list! If I don't wrote it down it doesn't happen!
    To be fair; it is a glorified cardboard. Though it seems pretty rigid and durable I was able to trim the face of it to make grabbing the little 8ml. bottles easier. But being stackable, light-blocking, AND cheap... it is working great for me! :w00t:

I'm thinking about spraying a coat of something like Krylon's Matte Finish (also available from HL) just to act as a bit of sealer to help protect it from a minor spill or dribble.

One other thing I didn't share previously, if you are doing a reorganizing, is to use spacers for those flavors you intend to buy (your wishlist). I don't know about you, but my usual organizing goes something like this; I get all my flavors sorted and organized and placed in their correct order and I'm happy as a clam, and them my new shipment comes in with 12 more flavors "I just HAD to have to make THOSE 5 new recipes that looked soooo good on ECF," and now I have to move everything around again. :shock:

I don't know if you can see it in the pictures; but the light grey dowels are actually pieces I cut from something called "backer rod." It is a soft foam urethane "rope" that is sold in 20' coils at most big box hardware stores (I bought mine from home depot for less than $4). The 5/8" diameter is perfect for marking a place for the 8ml. sample bottles wizard labs sells. It cuts easily with a utility knife or scissors.

The sides are smooth enough you can write on them with a fine tip Sharpie if you want a flavor name on them. I skip that because I add them to my flavor spreadsheet when I add the recipe. I just look for the marker between the other flavors I already have (in the box and on the spreadsheet) and plug it in and save the foam to reuse.

Good grief I'm OCD!!! :eek::D Oh well, if ANY of this is some help to you, I am glad.

Happy Organizing!!:toast:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX, USA
    Peaches and pears is very nice. Also, sweet and sour and bubble gum can do nice things to off target juices. Lots of choices. Good luck! :toast: :D

I actually have added a bit of Juicy Pear to the honeyed pear recipe... it's better, but still not quite right. How about I just post what I've got so far and leave it open to comments/suggestions. :)

Honeyed Pear (Version 99999999999? :lol: )
    TFA Pear - 12%
    TFA Juicy Peach - 4.5%
    TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato - 5%
    TFA Honey - 1.5%
    TFA Cotton Candy - 2%

Thanks Kazz! I've been waiting for you to finish thisd Be sure to post it on the Porch, I think Littlebird was watching too.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Will do, Kenna! I'll make my way back over there at some point today. :)

Ok,it's done haha.Made up a batch of this tonight,so the end of May,i'll report my findings haha.After just a few hours,it smells fantastic,so it's going to be hard letting it sit,but if i hide it good enough it might make the full time haha.

Awesome, brother! I've tried it at the 1 week mark or so... it definitely continues to develop over time. This is the only one that I've really steeped, and it definitely needs it. Patience is a virtue, but I suck at it! :lol: Can't wait to hear what you think!

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Thanks for sharing Joel. I might go that route if I don't find a container like I want. I have in my head a plastic container with the dividers already in place. I might look online more when I have time. Most of my flavors are from BCV and are 3.25 tall in the 10ml bottles. I have a few 30ml and just a couple 4 oz bottles.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for sharing Joel. I might go that route if I don't find a container like I want. I have in my head a plastic container with the dividers already in place. I might look online more when I have time. Most of my flavors are from BCV and are 3.25 tall in the 10ml bottles. I have a few 30ml and just a couple 4 oz bottles.
    I've used the ArtBin containers for some of my bottles. They have many sizes, including 4" tall large sizes that will work for bottles, and they have adjustable partitions, as well. I probably still use maybe six of them for my sample bottles in different sizes now. They stack and store easily. I can't figure out how to load pictures on this thread anymore, otherwise I'd share a picture with you. These are not the cheapest containers in the world, but they are extremely well made, and they've lasted me just fine for several years. I have one for syringes and several more for different size bottles. I carry every size up to 120 mils, and they all stand up like you would want them too. I got mine on Amazon. Good luck! :toast: :D

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @hittman - I got my divided/sectioned cases or totes at Tractor Supply on clearance. They're made by the Stack-On Products, Co. out of Illinois. The deeper of the 2 (model DCY-10) measures 16 5/8" L x 13 1/8" W x 4 1/8" D according to the sticker on the lid. It's called the Deep Cup Organizer, and has 2 larger removable/repositionable bins in it and 8 smaller ones. They're both very heavy-duty (sold in the toolbox section of the store), have a sturdy see-through lid, and 2 latches on the front. Other 1 is same L x W, but slightly less in depth. It has the removable/adjustable heavy-duty dividers...instead of the bins being removable/adjustable. As the name implies, they're stackable as well, and each holds a bunch! Reg. price for the deeper one was $16.99, on Sale for $11.99, then Clearance priced at $8.99. Other one was $13.99, on Sale for $9.99, then Clearance priced at $7.99!

In Harbor Freight's last sale booklet that came in Saturday's mail...it looks like 1 they have, is either exactly 1 of the ones I have, or it's very similar!

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    Well, I can't say how many of the 10mL bottles, because I have 106 of my WL 8mL vials in 6 of the compartments in the 17 section case. The other compartments have my syringes, 60mL VG, 60mL PG, 60mL Nic, 25 & 50mL beakers, graduated cylinders, empty bottles, etc. in them.

The corner compartments are slightly smaller, because of the angled corners, and I have 12 vials in each of those packed pretty tightly together. However, my fingers & tips are slim, so I don't have any problem grabbing them by their tops to remove them. Someone with thicker fingers would probably be better putting only 11 in the corner compartments. In the other sections that you can make totally square, I have 18 vials in each one, again probably 17 for someone with larger fingertips. Of course, since the dividers are movable, you can reposition them to give whatever size/shape sections you want.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    I do have some 10mL plastic bottles here somewhere though, if you'd like me to see how many will fit in each type of section. You could also just move the dividers to make rectangular ones that would hold many more in each section.

Added:
    OK, I just fit 12 of the 10mL bottles in a square section. Probably 2 less would fit in each corner section.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    In the whole 17 compartment case...I just figured a maximum of about 204 10mL bottles would fit in it. 4 corners @ 10 in each = 40 bottles; 13 square sections @ 12 in each = 156 bottles; in 2 small extended parts of square on each side of the handle area 2 @ 4 in each = 8 bottles.

40 + 156 + 8 = 204 approx. total

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I can't figure out how to load pictures on this thread anymore, otherwise I'd share a picture with you.
    I hear ya Bill,
    I spent the better part of an hour setting up an album, and then trying to upload my images, only to repeatedly get a generic "problem uploading" error message. File size was well under the 1 MB limit (517 KB) and I tried several different "acceptable" file types. :mad::-x:evil:

Getting frustrated I did a couple of searches for uploading albums and images and found a "how-to" thread that said the new server provider ECF is contracted with has really tight data/storage limitations.

The author's suggestion was basically to forget the "Album" option and use PhotoBucket. Which is what I ended up doing. It is free and they have a pretty neat "click and share" feature that makes it super convenient. Plus, the author notes the added bonus, that if you ever want to remove an image (or all images for that matter) you just delete it from your bucket and it is gone from your post(s); wherever you may have posted them. And... no more fussing with scaling to meet file size limitations! :thumbs:

For what it's worth... :2c:
    :toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 20, 2015
    Boise, ID
    I actually have added a bit of Juicy Pear to the honeyed pear recipe... it's better, but still not quite right. How about I just post what I've got so far and leave it open to comments/suggestions. :)

Honeyed Pear (Version 99999999999? :lol: )
    TFA Pear - 12%
    TFA Juicy Peach - 4.5%
    TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato - 5%
    TFA Honey - 1.5%
    TFA Cotton Candy - 2%
    Hi Kaezziel,
    I know you previously posted that you "can't put your finger on it" but could you describe anything about what you feel is incomplete about this to you? (I know that's an unfair question when you have already stated that you don't know. :oops: ) Is it not "fruity" enough, or missing "depth", or too " one note-y", or...? When you were first creating this recipe; what were you shooting for? What did you see in the end product?

I'm becoming a Pear fan and your recipe looks interesting. I am wanting to play with it this week but it would be helpful if I had some idea what direction you were trying to move it. Of course I make zero promises; what I want in a vape may not be anywhere close to what you want. :D

BTW... Thanks for sharing (your Brickhouse Custard too... its on my next mix list)!:thumbs:
    :toast:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread