Why do we still call our vapes e-cigarettes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
When people ask me what I am puffin on I call it a "why the hell are you talking to me, STRANGER DANGER!?!?!?!".

My 5 year old grandsons favorite thing to say, at the moment. Even if he knows us. Soooooo are you old enough to be on this forum? ;) :pervy:

Bwahahahaha!!

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
I know I shouldn't but I call it my "{Moderated}". When I first switched, I loved it so much I actually fell asleep with it in my hand most nights. My ol' lady (who still smokes) hates it and started witching about how I was like a {Moderated}... It kinda stuck. I don't use the term when in public for all the obvious reasons, just around the house and friends. I had never heard the P.E.N.I.S thing before. I bet the ol' lady is gonna hate y'all for that one. Lol! :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Never mattered to me what we call them. I call them just about anything. I don't think it matters if we call them ecigs, vapes or whatever.

You are correct when you are talking about how we refer to them in personal situations, but my query was more about the continued usage of the term e-cigarette in things like this forum ECF (Electronic Cigarette Forum) and other media/online sites. There is a very important reason to continue with it I just could not find the words to express it to my husband. The article on it linked on page one has an excellent explanation for this. It is always fun to see what people think but it wasn't the reason for my post. :D

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Jode, you probably remember one of the many threads we've had on ECF about this. ;)

Smokers looking to quit, and searching the Internet for information, are going to do a search for ecigarette. I certainly would hate for those searching to only come up with the Blu type. It's better for this forum to be named what it is currently. It brings it to the front of those searches. Then people get in here and start learning what the differences are.

It took a while for people to say vaping instead of smoking. This section wasn't always the General vaping Discussion. That has only been in place for a couple of years. This used to be named the General E-Smoking Discussion.

Things s l o w l y evolve over time. I'm amazed that the term vaping is now mainstream. At least I have people talking about how I'm vaping my e-cigarette. ;)

We'll get there. One baby step at a time :laugh:

Thanks, I knew I had seen posts here as to the importance. I agree with keeping it and understand the reasoning, just couldn't explain it to my husband and needed help. :p In that article that was posted it goes on to say exactly what you are...that the more mainstream vaping becomes the terminology will eventually change (maybe). :) I am always so amazed and pleased with the responses I get here. This is one of the funnest communities to be a part of. :wub:

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Its interesting to see non vapers perceptions. Not sure why but my mother was very negative towards my Vision Spinners with Aerotanks last summer. This summer she remarked a mech mod was smaller and nicer :confused: It certainly wasn't smaller as it was an 18650 and a fairly tall one. I think I know why she liked it more, but its not the mod. I think she liked the tank I had on it. It was an Aqua SE and I had the metal tank on it. Its seeing the e liquid she doesn't like. I know because she had remarked last summer how seeing that liquid bothered her.

This is what she liked: Viscious Ant Phenom (clone) with Aqua SE with metal tank.

These are what embarrassed her:
Vision Spinners with Aerotank Minis
Istick 50W with Rose v2
Sigelei 100W with Lemo

I'm pretty sure it was really about seeing the e liquid, not the actual size of the set up.

Most of the questions I get once they understand its an "ecig" is about how different ones look, and what they cost.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
"PV" never really worked for me thanks to this guy

4ZtLiDo.jpg

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
My 5 year old grandsons favorite thing to say, at the moment. Even if he knows us. Soooooo are you old enough to be on this forum? ;) :pervy:

Bwahahahaha!!

Physically? Yep plenty old enough to be here.

Mentally? I don't think anyone really wants that answer. :p

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
When i come to ECF all i see is vapers calling their vapour devices by their brand names. When i talk to outsiders, people who don't vape, i refer to my device by it's brand name and go through all the component parts, how it works etc.

When i'm in a thread such as this one all i see is vapers talking about how they think people refer to their devices. In any other thread at any other time you will refer to you devices by their brand names. Then for no apparent reason, you lose your minds and start talking about your devices as e-cigs, complain about it, then go off and start talking in another thread about you devices by their brand names again,:lol:. As interesting as it it to watch it is also a little disturbing.

The fact of the matter is it is the public eye that perceives our devices as "e-cigs" and so that's how outsiders refer to them. And the sole reason for this is to relate real tobacco cigarettes to the electric alternative to help smokers make the transition. Wikipedia isn't going to change it's stance on the definition because, well, check out the name of the article !. If people aren't happy with sites like Wikipedia referring to mods etc as e cigs then don't go to a Wiki page called "e cigarette" because all you'll find is information about, that's right, e cigs !. A new member entered the new members forum a week or so ago talking in length about the "lede" of the wikipedia article on e-cigs saying how much of a distaster it is. Well it may well be perceived that way by seasoned vapers but helps in a way which seasoned vapers can no longer relate to. The more the industry is labelled e-cigs the easier it is for smokers to make the transition, which is a subliminal fact most seasoned vapers seem to forget or deliberately ignore. I know what it's like to forget stuff but this problem vapers seem to be having about this issue is kinda dumb. You know you call your device by it's brand name, you know you do, so what is this thread actually about ?. You're all busy saying one thing when the reality is something completely different but none of you seem to be aware of it, and i'm __ucked if i know why !. Go to a random thread in ECF and talk about your devices. Is their any time you refer to your device as an e-cig ?. So again i ask you

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT !.

Last edited:

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
When i come to ECF all i see is vapers calling their vapour devices by their brand names. When i talk to outsiders, people who don't vape, i refer to my device by it's brand name and go through all the component parts, how it works etc.

When i'm in a thread such as this one all i see is vapers talking about how they think people refer to their devices.

The fact of the matter is it is the public eye that perceives our devices as "e-cigs" and so that's how outsiders refer to them. And the sole reason for this is to relate real tobacco cigarettes to the electric alternative to help smokers make the transition. Wikipedia isn't going to change it's stance on the definition because, well, check out the name of the article !. If people aren't happy with sites like Wikipedia referring to mods etc as e cigs then don't go to a Wiki page called "e cigarette" because all you'll find is information about, that's right, e cigs !. A new member entered the new members forum a week or so ago talking in length about the "lede" of the wikipedia article on e-cigs saying how much of a distaster it is. Well it may well be perceived that way by seasoned vapers but helps in a way which seasoned vapers can no longer relate to. The more the industry is labelled e-cigs the easier it is for smokers to make the transition, which is a subliminal fact most seasoned vapers seem to forget. I know what it's like to forget stuff but this problem vapers seem to be having about this issue is kinda dumb. You know you call your device by it's brand name so what is this thread actually about ?. You're all busy saying one thing when the reality is something completely different but none of you seem to be aware of it. Go to a random thread in ECF and talk about your devices. Is their any time you refer to your device as an e-cig ?. So again i ask you

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU ALL TALKING ABOUT !.
Green ?

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I do call mine an E-cig. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even when talking on other threads ;) Especially since I really can't discuss what kind I have. You know, all that can't show partiality stuff :laugh:

Look, it's all ok. We all have our own way of calling things. We are vapers. That is the best thing!! :D

Sure you do !.:)

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Sure you do !.:)
I do, unless I am in an area that I CAN discuss my type of device ;) :pervy:
Also, most of the people that I am around, have no clue about what I use. Ecig is something they understand.

I do use the term Vape though. They do understand that. So there is progress there. ;)

Reactions: Jode

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I do, unless I am in an area that I CAN discuss my type of device ;) :pervy:
Also, most of the people that I am around, have no clue about what I use. Ecig is something they understand.

I do use the term Vape though. They do understand that. So there is progress there. ;)

So yes, outsiders refer to the electric alternative as an e-cig. And that actually is a good thing. People who think otherwise, who are always seasoned vapers, have a problem with it, and are the first ones to complain about it when they don't even do it. And if they did actually understand why, which they don't, then these particular threads wouldn't even occur. So the question is "why don't they understand this ?, (rhetorical question robino).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread