►►► Prodigy V1 Troubleshooting Guide ◄◄◄

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantstop

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Hmm, I never noticed that. Thanks for letting me know.

I just looked at my atomizer from diet smokes.
It is identical to the Prodigy atomizer.
The diet smokes az was a replacement due to the base being glued and broke
This one just came loose, too and outside of the 14 day warranty.

It has the same black base as the atomizer which comes with the Prodigy and looks identical.
Both have the higher cone, black base, no relief holes past the base and have the same initials SLB on the bottom.
These atomizers are using a glue that cannot withstand heat.
I don't know which atomizers to buy anymore, except the Janty's, which may be the 304s.
The Janty's have relief holes and are not glued.

Just a heads up to all those who have black base 801 az to be careful not to turn these on and off using the body, but hold them by the black base.
This may help prevent premature breaking.

cantstop

lorgain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Dickson TN
I am so glad you posted your experience. I twisted my black base 801 atomizer into two pieces after one day of use. I assumed it was because I was wearing my Wonder Woman drawers that day, but then just a couple of days later, the same thing happened on the second 801 atomizer. At that point, I didn't think it was me. Just to be sure, I borrowed my husband's HeMan drawers and tried to twisted off the base from an old dead njoy atomizer to no avail.:oops:

PureSmoker replaced the two 801's that I had just bought and let me know that I needed to be careful not to tighten them onto the battery. But your post is much clearer --Don't ever tighten them using the body, just the base. I also realized that when I'm puffin away, I tend to fidgit with my ecig while chewing on the pen tip (usually mindlessly at the computer) and needed to break that habit.

I just looked at my atomizer from diet smokes.
It is identical to the Prodigy atomizer.
The diet smokes az was a replacement due to the base being glued and broke
This one just came loose, too and outside of the 14 day warranty.

Just a heads up to all those who have black base 801 az to be careful not to turn these on and off using the body, but hold them by the black base.
This may help prevent premature breaking.

cantstop

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
In his first post launching this thread, Steve said: "Connect the atomizer (remember not to tighten TOO tight)"

Just got my Prodigy (Pen) yesterday. [Elsewhere in this forum I've done my oohs and ahhs.] The beautiful chrome 801 atomizer that came with it screws onto the adapter securely (no problems with perfromance), but there's no stopping point to the screwing. That is, I can keep turning it and turning it and it doesn't get any tighter.

I assumed that it was deliberately designed this way, e.g., so I can line up the 801-style mouthpiece with the switch. If so, what does Steve's caution mean?

Thanks!

In his first post launching this thread, Steve said: "Connect the atomizer (remember not to tighten TOO tight)"

Just got my Prodigy (Pen) yesterday. [Elsewhere in this forum I've done my oohs and ahhs.] The beautiful chrome 801 atomizer that came with it screws onto the adapter securely (no problems with perfromance), but there's no stopping point to the screwing. That is, I can keep turning it and turning it and it doesn't get any tighter.

I assumed that it was deliberately designed this way, e.g., so I can line up the 801-style mouthpiece with the switch. If so, what does Steve's caution mean?

Thanks!

Hmmm, mine (a 901) doesn't do that, it stops. Interesting!

Ginger

May 25, 2009
Florida

Thanks!

My 801's take 3 to 31/2 turns to be snug - it doesn't keep going and going

Ginger

May 25, 2009
Florida
Two of my batteries in the charger got burning hot last night - like touching a hot kettle. I removed them left it til tonight and have charged both sets of batteries ok, checking the temp every few minutes, at most they got only slightly warm to the touch.

Do you think everything is ok or could there be a future problem - I'm going to get a multimeter tomorrow & test them. Just a bit worried - is there anything I could have done wrong yesterday to make them overheat?

cantstop

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009

Thanks!

I think that is the ticket.
It keeps the az from breaking and it allows some air to escape past the threads to prevent popping pressure.
I am doing it now, and so far, no popping.

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
just got my prodigy today,just a few comments and questions,first the question,why when i pull on the prodigy i get a mouth full of juice,i tried a few different tips and even tried dripping,the same always happens,second your probably gonna say whats wrong with this guy but i cant tell much diifrence in the prodigy and my 901 is something wrong with me?

Did you initially use a full cartidge on a High bridge atty and flood it? The attys that come with the prodigy have a tall bridge (True DSE801's) which will substantially compress the cart stuffing causing a full cart to loose so much liquid that it instantly floods the atty. It's like squeezing a wet sponge. I don't recommend using the high bridge atty's with carts for that reason, but, If you don't fill the carts full or trim the stuffing to about 2/3 of the cart volume, some have had acceptable results. Try blowing out your atty's real good and have another go at it.:)

Just got my Prodigy today and fully charged up the batteries.
I got about 6 hours of pretty consistent use out of the first batteries.
However, after putting in the 2nd set of batteries, after fully charging them, the atomizer pops when taking a hit.
Something seems to be expanding when it heats up.
However, the atomizer doesn't have to be hot to the touch to pop.

Could there be a problem with my atomizer?
Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks in advance,
cantstop

I've noticed the same thing once in awhile with the PS atty's. Almost like little baloons of rapidly expanding gas being popped (ala pop rocks):)
I simply attributed it to either 1.the atty cup getting emptied and the coil getting too hot just as more liquid was dripping onto the coil causing it to "Flash off" the liquid, or 2. Some liquids contain nearly 8% ethyl alcohol which has a very low vapor pressure and would vaporize in a flash at the temps seen on the coil.

I think I found the reason why the Prodigy designed atomizer is popping.
They don't have any pressure relief holes near the threads, in case of expansion, like traditional 801s have.

My standard 801 atomizer has not popped at all using the Prodigy.

Thanks,
cantstop

The larger air holes may very well provide a "Venting Path" which would decrease or eliminate all together the popping feeling. Good observation.

Thanks!

Try tightening with the atty's base ring only, not the body of the atty. Sounds like you have "Spun" your atty Don, rendering it useless, If so, your not alone. I've spun 2 of mine also. They are quite fragile and require tightening with very little tension. ( I've adopted the practice of tightening until atty makes contact then only tightening another 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn). However, If within the 14 day warranty period, Steve will likely replace it for You.

Last edited:

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
Two of my batteries in the charger got burning hot last night - like touching a hot kettle. I removed them left it til tonight and have charged both sets of batteries ok, checking the temp every few minutes, at most they got only slightly warm to the touch.

Do you think everything is ok or could there be a future problem - I'm going to get a multimeter tomorrow & test them. Just a bit worried - is there anything I could have done wrong yesterday to make them overheat?

Ginger,
Sounds like you have an intermittent short that should be addressed. Check Steve's new Thread regarding short troubleshooting here. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...rodigy-ps-pt-users-please-read-thank-you.html

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
StratOvation said (among many other things): "Try tightening with the atty's base ring only, not the body of the atty."

I don't know what that means. The atomizer I received as part of my Prodigy (Pen) is all one piece. The 1/4" black stripe at the battery end does not twist separately from the rest of the tube.

I don't think I stripped the threads on it when attaching to the adapter. It never came to a tight stop. It feels secure but can be twisted further without exerting much force.

Not a big deal in any case as it all works marvelously!

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
Ok, Sorry Don, I misunderstood your issue. Sounds like the threaded brass collar is spinning inside the adaptor. It is not intended to be a such a loose fit, but I don't see any reason for concern as long as it continues to function properly. You may need to get the adaptor replaced if it becomes to loose, preventing you from tightening the atty enough to make good contact with the center post. Good Luck:)

cantstop

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
My prodigy just blew out 2 atomizers including the one that came with it.
The 3rd atomizer fell apart, so 3 az's destroyed in less than 4 days.
I'm not happy about this.
The I checked the az's and they show opens.

Also, the voltage coming off of the prodigy is showing 6.9v.
I know the working voltage is supposed to be between 4.7 - and 5.5v under load, but 6.9v must be too high.

Anyone else have this high a voltage coming off of the adapter?

Thanks,
cantstop

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Ok, Sorry Don, I misunderstood your issue. Sounds like the threaded brass collar is spinning inside the adaptor. It is not intended to be a such a loose fit, but I don't see any reason for concern as long as it continues to function properly. You may need to get the adaptor replaced if it becomes to loose, preventing you from tightening the atty enough to make good contact with the center post. Good Luck:)
Thanks, Strat (is that an acceptable abbreviation/nickname?) for your followup! You may have identified the cause of the following problem:

...Not a big deal in any case as it all works marvelously!
Make that past tense.:( Shortly after posting that comment, my new Puresmoker chrome 801 atomizer died, kind of. The vapor production dropped way off. I thought it meant that I needed to change batteries (was surprised since I had done that only a couple hours before). After swapping in freshly charged batteries, same problem. Was it flooded? I blew all the liquid out and let the atty rest (mouthpiece side down). But same problem with another, older atty (not Puresmoker's).

After a couple hours rest (during which I eeked some nicotine vapor out of my old KR808D-1 and placed a hasty order for Totally Wicked's 5-pack of 801 attys), I tried the PS atty again and it functioned better, but still nothing like the impressive performance of the first two days. And both atomizers have continued limping all evening. I'm not getting that sizzling/gurgling sound and the attys never get hot.

[BTW, to compound my confusion, neither atty is working at all with my 801 battery. At least the Prodigy gives each of them some vapor production.]

Think I'll try one of the Totally Wicked attys when they arrive:
  1. If that atty works great, I'll assume that something is wrong with the chrome Puresmoker atty and request a replacement. [My other, older atty may just be on it's last legs.]
  2. If the phenomenon is the same, I'll write to Puresmoker requesting a replacement of the 801 adapter.
Make sense?

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
My prodigy just blew out 2 atomizers including the one that came with it.
The 3rd atomizer fell apart, so 3 az's destroyed in less than 4 days.
I'm not happy about this.
The I checked the az's and they show opens.

Also, the voltage coming off of the prodigy is showing 6.9v.
I know the working voltage is supposed to be between 4.7 - and 5.5v under load, but 6.9v must be too high.

Anyone else have this high a voltage coming off of the adapter?

Thanks,
cantstop

Tested 3 different sets of freshly charged batteries. Without a load, They are all about 7.0V (6.97, 7.12, 7.15) at the adaptor but I don't have a method to test them under a load. Also tested a set of Batteries after ~1 hr of use... w/o a load they are 6.52V.

Last edited:

cantstop

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2009
Tested 3 different sets of freshly charged batteries. Without a load, They are all about 7.0V (6.97, 7.12, 7.15) at the adaptor but I don't have a method to test them under a load. Also tested a set of Batteries after ~1 hr of use... w/o a load they are 6.52V.

Wow, if you are getting over 7v, then, 6.9v can't be too high, unless the resister had some random failure blowing all my az's at once before I could determine what was going on.

I really like the quality of the prodigy. Everything looks well made and no wire connections look faulty. I just can't waste anymore money on atomizers anymore.
It would be interesting to see if the Janty az's can stand up to the prodigy or the issue I'm having with my prodigy.

Thanks for the response,
cantstop

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
Wow, if you are getting over 7v, then, 6.9v can't be too high, unless the resister had some random failure blowing all my az's at once before I could determine what was going on.

I really like the quality of the prodigy. Everything looks well made and no wire connections look faulty. I just can't waste anymore money on atomizers anymore.
It would be interesting to see if the Janty az's can stand up to the prodigy or the issue I'm having with my prodigy.

Thanks for the response,
cantstop

I suggest you contact PS and let them know the details of your experience and request the attys be replaced. They come with a 14 day warranty. Steve may be able to send you an alternate adaptor or switch assembly to try on your prodigy...Then again , He may be able to diagnose the issue for You via email or forum.

Casey@PS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Nashvegas
www.OurSongForever.com
I suggest you contact PS and let them know the details of your experience and request the attys be replaced. They come with a 14 day warranty. Steve may be able to send you an alternate adaptor or switch assembly to try on your prodigy...Then again , He may be able to diagnose the issue for You via email or forum.

Just so we're all clear, we switched to a 7 day warranty recently on atomizers and batteries.

Enfield

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
SE Michigan, USA

I've always just considered atomizers to be in the same category as e-liquid, in that they are consumable/disposable commodities. They simply get used up, and the quality control on attys out of the Chinese factories is questionable at best. The variety of just 801 atomizers still boggles me. I probably have about 40 various 801 attys and a dozen 510 attys stashed away. When one starts acting up or dying out, if a simple cleaning (alcohol/hot water) doesn't clear it up, I retire it and pull out a new one. Done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread