A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick2525

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I'd like to post for the record that I haven't experienced any negative symptoms since I started vaping 3 weeks ago. Aside from coughing up some of the gunk in my lungs attributed to quitting smoking cigarettes. Also, i kinda get bummed out if I forget to charge my battery and it dies. Getting to the bottom of you e-liquid bottle when your next shipment isn't due in for a few days causes some anxiety too!

My mood has improved greatly, as i no longer have to plan my nicotine breaks. I can inhale pretty much whenever I want and don't have to wait. I am nicer to my wife and generally a more patient person. This is a life changer.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
I gave up analogs about 2 weeks after starting vaping ( having reduced my daily smokes down and down until 0). This wasn't planned it just happened. Vaping exclusively now for about 2-3weeks.
I smoked for about 20 years give or take and around 20 a day, mostly recently ultra lights but regulars for most of my smoking life.

Dry mouth which was an issue: pretty much gone now - didn't change to VG from PG or anything. DID increase water and OJ (and ginger ale) intake (I drink coffee too but only 2-3 cups per day of instant)
Dry skin: Still have it, not as bad as it was. Exfoliating and moisturizing more. Also think increasing liquid intake helped.
Dry eyes: Not improved yet, but had dry eyes to start with. Have had to go back to using eye drops tho. Bummer.
Indigestion: Had this when i smoked a bunch of ciggies so its not really new - not sure what might cause it. Maybe I jsut have an acidy or too alkali stomach.
Feeling tired: Yeah I get this - but I sleep like a dead stick these days. Getting up can be a challenge! lol Coffee makes it easier :) If I feel draggy during waking hours I use coffee to perk me up.
Circulation: seems improved a lot. Much pinker face :D
Breathing: Don't wake up coughing, don't wake up in mornings coughing, don't go to sleep coughing. Have no wheeze on full empty the lungs exhale any more.
Phlegm: Still get this, which is annoying, but I do plan on trying to vape less n less over the coming months, hopfully that will fix that. I don't think vaping is ;safe; but safER than analogs.
Taste and smell: See no real difference.

I think thats the full monty as we say in England :)

Iammoonie

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
SoFla
man! waking up to my third day of PVing, and i feel like im 2 days into a bad cold! My soft palette is swollen along with my uvula(sp?). EVERYTHING you would expect when you have a cold. I can barely 'POP' my ears, and stiiiiiiiff neck from HELL!!! just like a cold (I guess more specifically a HEAD cold) What is happening to me i smoke ry4 24mg with my tornado . I wasn't TOO concerned with the headache figured that it was the increase of nicotine. HEEELP! Don't know whether to boil some tea and soup, or lower the nicotine strength change to VG or quit altogether. I looked hard through a bunch of threads and couldn't get enough info. I would appreciate any and all feedback, positive or negative:oops::confused:

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I went through the same thing. I got some VG and distilled water and used it. Found it just wasn't the PG alone, it was also some flavors.

After everything calmed down, I found I could do a little PG. It was trial and error to find out how much

I smoked menthol and love menthol but found that menthol eliquid caused me problems.

In the end, with all my attempts, I found what work for me and it was well worth the effort.

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
I want to point out that a number of the points made in the original post on this thread are incorrect. Specifically:

"1.) Dry Throat and / or Sore Throat" This should not be attributed to PG. It is a common symptom of quitting smoking.

"2.) Acne breakouts " Though there have been some anecdotal reports, I haven't found evidence to support this. I have found, on the web, that both getting acne and clearing up acne have been attributed to quitting smoking.

"4.) Headaches, Nausea & Shakiness" These are incorrectly described as being from nicotine withdrawal. They can occur from both nicotine withdrawal and nicotine overdose.

"5.) Muscle Cramps and Aches" These are incorrectly attributed to PG breakdown. PG does not break down to lactic acid, that is just some bad information which has spread. It breaks down to pyruvic acid, part of the body's normal energy cycle.

"6.) Night Sweats" I don't think there is enough evidence about these to attribute them correctly. They may be due to cigarette withdrawal, nicotine overdose, or something else.

"7.) Diarreah" This is incorrectly attributed to PG. It can be caused by both nicotine withdrawal and by nicotine overdose.

I've posted an article at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing-your-symptoms-while-adjusting-vaping.html which I think is a better source for this information. I will be updating that article with a list of references soon to substantiate it and my comments above.

sherie stm

Feb 2, 2010
atlanta
Does anyone get chapped lips?!? Mine were so bad they would bleed in the morn when I first opened my mouth. Also some type of bubble in the middle of my bottom lip which I have since figured out is from licking or sucking the excess juice from my lip. Yes I know I'm not supposed to drink the excess and have stopped. At first though it was my initial reaction. I have since broken that habbit and bubble went away. The chapped lips are driving me nuts though. Does anyone know if this will pass or am I stuck with this side effect?

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
The effects of vaping appear more and more to be a "case by case" basis. It's rather like the relatively small number of people who react badly to peanut butter or aspirin.

I think most vapors have few problems.

Mine were bad, although not nearly as bad as smoking those horrible analogs. It's new, face it, most of us are rank amateurs, mixing chemical concoctions to snort into our lungs. Mostly, it's harmless, but some of us do react.

I wanted the strong throat hit and lots of vapor/smoke so I over did it with high nic level PG juice and vaping a lot. Lots of problems.

It's only been two months, but over time, I have learned a bit about my own limits. I cut the high nic PG with no nic pure VG, so that is half the nic.

I also bought mid-level VG juice, and some really low nic [6mg] VG juice.

Still learning, but it's working. Fewer problems, no racing heart, and enjoying it more.

Of course, individual users vary, and that is the hard part. Finding your sweet spot.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Does anyone get chapped lips?!? Mine were so bad they would bleed in the morn when I first opened my mouth. Also some type of bubble in the middle of my bottom lip which I have since figured out is from licking or sucking the excess juice from my lip. Yes I know I'm not supposed to drink the excess and have stopped. At first though it was my initial reaction. I have since broken that habbit and bubble went away. The chapped lips are driving me nuts though. Does anyone know if this will pass or am I stuck with this side effect?
I've had this - I attribute it to vaping like a mad eedjit lol. Pretty sure from self-observation this is partly caused by pulling in a bunch of air (while vaping like aforementioned mad eedjit) around the tip of the PV (mine are whistle tip). Trying to close lips slightly while vaping, making a seal, helped some, as did increasing general liquid intake and making sure juice didn't get on lips. Juice on lips can cause a slight chemical-type burn if you are sensitive to it or its a high nic strength; the burn isn't serious but just means you need to take more care. Your bubble was likely a burn.

I'd jus tlike to add as well that I mentioned in previous post no difference in taste or smell.
Well I spoke too soon apparently!
For days I;ve been smelling what seemed like soemthing was on fire - very strong, so mcuh so I kept checking my PC wasn't on fire or electrical points weren't shorting out.
FInally worked out what it was; stale cigarette smoke in the carpet, chair, on clothing. Wow. Who knew it smelled so strong? I can wash the clothes, but the carpet that stinks isn't in an area I can wash easily..
At least I know the house isn't aflame..still..the smell of smoke is overwhelming where i sit :(
So..if anyone is a 'seceret smoker' who thinks no-one knows they smoke cos they 'hide; it (seen a few on this forum say thats what they do) - you are probably kidding yourself. lol.

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
There is always the risk of false association.

One example: if you are in a ranch house in Texas and hear rapid hoof beats outside, you would bet they were horses. And be right. But in a hut in Africa, they could be any number of four legged animals.

Never assume it's a horse.

Sorry for the silly analogy, but I have been blaming e-cigs and vaping for my leg cramps. Both began around the same time.

False association.

But it turns out my salt intake was radically lowered with my new diet for high blood pressure, which I now realize caused my leg cramps. I began this new diet about the same time as vaping.

My cramps had nothing to do with e-cigs and vaping.

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Might be an allergic reaction to PG. Strange cuz I've never been alergic to anything before.

PG does not affect everyone, and those who are impacted, vary a lot. PG caused a throat so dry I would wake up gagging for moisture. My throat was so coarse and tight I could not swallow. I kept water beside the bed.

It drove my blood pressure sky high, and my heart raced.

VG solved it completely. People are affected in different ways, or not at all.

Tamakachi

Jan 14, 2010
South Africaq
PG does not affect everyone, and those who are impacted, vary a lot. PG caused a throat so dry I would wake up gagging for moisture. My throat was so coarse and tight I could not swallow. I kept water beside the bed.

It drove my blood pressure sky high, and my heart raced.

VG solved it completely. People are affected in different ways, or not at all.

My reactions are a little different, It started with a sore throat the one morning. By afternoon it was better, then I vaped like a demon during the day and woke up the next morning with a very sore throat, post nasal drip and all sorts of weird colored phlegm. Yellow, White and Red.

I think I should swap to VG, it's just not easy to find VG in south africa. The people here are pretty much clueless about Ecigs.

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
snip...I think I should swap to VG, it's just not easy to find VG in south africa. The people here are pretty much clueless about Ecigs.

I have no idea what you can find in SA, but the first thing I did was to find pure vegetable glycerine and dilute my PC nic 50:50. That helped a lot!

Two places for pure PG around here:

1: where they sell cookie, cake, and baking supplies. Pure PG is used for icing cupcakes and cake frostings, etc. It is quite safe.

2: at some pharmacies. This is where several users on this forum recommended, but I had no luck with it. The drug stores had no idea what I was talking about.

But we do have a craft and baking place-they had it, and sold a lot of it for cupcakes, frostings, etc.

Can't you buy it online?

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread