A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Not blaming e cigs at all, AngeLsLuv. As a 55 year analog smoker, e-cigs have probably saved my life, or at least extended it a bit.

E-cigs are the greatest thing that ever happened to nic users, and I have recommended them to probably 25 friends and family.

But vaping does cause some people to have certain reactions, not all, not everyone, but it does happen. Thanks to this forum, we can discuss solutions and compare alternatives.

If it had not been for this forum, I would not have known about VG vs PG, or that very low to zero juice is available to those people like me who are affected.

Hi Robert,

I do understand that, but I get totally amazed that no matter what, the first thing someone points to is vaping for any complaint they have at the same time.. Kinda funny when you think about it

Laddsy

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I am on my 15th day today and so far have only experienced the following

Headaches - It just doesn't go away. I have had a headache now for about 7 days and pills dont help at all.

Dizziness - feeling a bit dizzy at different times of the day

Insomnia - cant sleep at all unless I have a few too many wines before bed.

Hunger - hungry all the time, but I am not eating much as I refuse to put on weight lol

Wind - lots of wind and my stomach rumbles so loudly that people can hear it miles and miles away

Apart from that I can breathe and smell again and it feels fantastic. I also play competitive football (soccer) and I had my 1st game on Saturday since coming off the analogs. All I can say is what a difference!!! I got through 90mins and was not huffing and puffing after every run lol

Last edited:

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Laddsy,
15 days, good! Keep it up!

headaches: never got those.
dizziness: yes, me too, tobacco withdrawal, I think
insomnia: yes, I vap only zero nic after 8 pm and VG. It works for me.
hunger: yes, me too, and I had to watch the snacks. Tip: if controlling the munchies is a problem, try unsalted unbuttered popcorn. Fills you with zero calories and cuts the appetite
wind: you mean gas? me to, but I'm a big fruit and veggie eater, so gas is a natural side affect

Glad to hear you are playing soccer

Mister

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Nanaimo BC Canada
I am on my 15th day today and so far have only experienced the following

Headaches - It just doesn't go away. I have had a headache now for about 7 days and pills dont help at all.

Dizziness - feeling a bit dizzy at different times of the day

Insomnia - cant sleep at all unless I have a few too many wines before bed.

Hunger - hungry all the time, but I am not eating much as I refuse to put on weight lol

Wind - lots of wind and my stomach rumbles so loudly that people can hear it miles and miles away

Apart from that I can breathe and smell again and it feels fantastic. I also play competitive football (soccer) and I had my 1st game on Saturday since coming off the analogs. All I can say is what a difference!!! I got through 90mins and was not huffing and puffing after every run lol
See the post at http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing-your-symptoms-while-adjusting-vaping.html for a description of symptoms and what causes them.

The headaches and dizziness can be caused either by getting too much or not enough nicotine. Based on your report of insomnia and hunger I'd say that you are not getting as much nicotine as you're used to. You can tough it out until that goes away or vape more or up your e-liquid strength.

trailless

May 25, 2010
Tennessee
I had these zits on my arm after the first day I started using a PV. Just in random spots, maybe 6-8 on each arm. Not large ones just small dots about the size of a dot from a sharpie. They went away after a few days to never be seen again, hopefully.

I don't know if this is from using an ecig since I started taking a new workout supplement at the same time. But I'm still using both the ecig and the supplement without anymore zits...

magz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2010
Reno, NV
I actually started vaping in early june, but had to send that pv back (POS) and smoked for another week before I got my 510, so for the purpose of this, I'm saying I started when I got my 510 on July 6th.

Ugh! Acne!!!! I've been one of those lucky people who's never had issues with acne. I've probably had fewer than 100 zits in my whole life (I'm 26).

NOW, nearly 3 weeks into vaping I have zits! And they started poppin up about a week ago. Every day I wake up thinking, Why?? It's not that time of month, and even if it was, this is excessive. Am I eating different? No. Hmm... Maybe the summer heat... that's never happened before though. Low and behold, there's a correlation! I can live with a few zits, but know not knowing why they appeared is annoying, lol.

I quit smoking for about a year before when I was 19 and I don't remember this happening... but at that time I'd smoked solidly for about 5 years, and now it's been a total of 12 with that one year break (and I started when I was about 12, but didn't really smoke on a regular basis till I was 14, so I don't count those 2 years), so maybe that's what made the difference.

Glad to hear that one goes away! Okay, let’s see, what else....
• Acne (yes I know, repetive)
• Sore muscles!!! I had no idea that this was related! Now it makes so much sense!!!
• Bit of a sore throat and slightly swollen lymph nodes
• A couple little mouth ulcers (I get these from too much sugar too...)
• At one point it felt like my salivary gland was clogged. Actually that's happened a couple times. Very very uncomfortable. It only cleared up when I cut back my vaping.
• Throat clearing from smoking went away for a bit, then came back from vaping :( That's pretty much gone now
I think that's pretty much it. Nothing major really. I feel much better than I did smoking. I've also done the whole nic OD thing, overestimated and ordered 26mg nic juice when I started, lol. Now I usually use 12mg, 18mg, or 0mg depending :)

But yep, that's my experience so far.

During the first few days I experienced nicotine withdrawal. I get it quite bad anyway, headaches, nausea, shakiness and usually end up sleeping a lot. Doesn't last more than a few days and could be attributed to learning good techniques for getting the best out of the eCig.

Had a cough that didn't go away for 3 weeks(ish).

Also had an acne breakout - started about two weeks in and is just about clearing up now, we're at 5 weeks today (woohoo!)

I still have very very slight cough, I expect that inhalng anything which isn't clean air acts as an irritant. Hope that logic is correct!

Last edited:

magz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2010
Reno, NV
Hmmm.... lol, this is hard to explain. Um, well, you know what gleeking is? You know where you feel it when you do it? You know, like the when you get that feeling there when you eat something really sweet or really sour. It felt all swollen there and just painful. And it was really uncomfortable if something made my mouth water. I dunno, lol. It was really wierd, but "clogged salivary gland" is what came to mind with the feeling, lol. Oh I feel silly trying to explain this, lmao.... Seriously though! I swear it was clogged. And it was just on the one side, and my lymph nodes have been swollen so many times with strep and crap I knew that wasn't it. I thought I was going to have to go to the doctor, lol.

At one point it felt like my salivary gland was clogged. Actually that's happened a couple times.
I have to ask what that feels like???

Ragamuffin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2010
US
Well, I have to say I think we all react differently to stopping the cigarettes on a daily basis and replacing it with vaping. And there just is no way to tell what will happen to each person, but at least we can share what MIGHT happen, and see what adds up. I don't think we can blame all these odd reactions on vaping, and we should blame them on the amount of cigarettes we no longer smoke. It has to have thrown our bodies out of whack big time. I smoked steady for 37 years, and all the sudden I stopped-my body hasn't recovered, and probably won't for a long time. And there are so many variables, that the symptoms may come and reappear, or change, or never return. Who knows, but I keep hoping to read that someone else is going through the same thing, and there is an end in sight!

In a desperate attempt to stop this acne, I switched to all VG yesterday, and I am so miserable. I don't like it only because I don't have any great flavors, and my favorite of all isn't VG and isn't available in VG. So I guess I need to shop this weekend. And I have some unflavored VG nicotine base, so I'll get some flavorings too. I just don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt, I don't think. I've also been having a lot of trouble just getting a full breath lately. Don't know if it's the flavor of my fav cartomizer? Using too many cartos in one day and vaping too much overall? I recently lowered my nic level, but not all the time. So who knows. I know people say we are supposed to feel so much better not smoking cigarettes, but honestly, I don't yet. I've had a month or so that was great, but the last four months of vaping have been uncomfortable, yet I love it. The breathing problem comes and goes. The acne is getting worse. On top of that, I burnt my skin with OTC acne cream and over-use, desperately trying to get it to heal. I hate it, and it's embarassing. People also tell me how pale I am all the time. Huh? I don't smoke cigarettes, and I drink tons of water, and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, peanuts, beans, salads, no meats, no dairy, no eggs. I"m vegan, and I don't smoke cigarettes, and I feel terrible 40% of the time. I may also be in menopause! Oh boy. And you thought your summer was lousy!

So I think that our bodies must just go nuts when we stop the cigarettes, and we'll go through it all trying to recover. Any thoughts?

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Well, I have to say I think we all react differently to stopping the cigarettes on a daily basis and replacing it with vaping. And there just is no way to tell what will happen to each person, but at least we can share what MIGHT happen, and see what adds up. I don't think we can blame all these odd reactions on vaping, and we should blame them on the amount of cigarettes we no longer smoke. It has to have thrown our bodies out of whack big time. I smoked steady for 37 years, and all the sudden I stopped-my body hasn't recovered, and probably won't for a long time. And there are so many variables, that the symptoms may come and reappear, or change, or never return. Who knows, but I keep hoping to read that someone else is going through the same thing, and there is an end in sight!

In a desperate attempt to stop this acne, I switched to all VG yesterday, and I am so miserable. I don't like it only because I don't have any great flavors, and my favorite of all isn't VG and isn't available in VG. So I guess I need to shop this weekend. And I have some unflavored VG nicotine base, so I'll get some flavorings too. I just don't know if it will help, but it can't hurt, I don't think. I've also been having a lot of trouble just getting a full breath lately. Don't know if it's the flavor of my fav cartomizer? Using too many cartos in one day and vaping too much overall? I recently lowered my nic level, but not all the time. So who knows. I know people say we are supposed to feel so much better not smoking cigarettes, but honestly, I don't yet. I've had a month or so that was great, but the last four months of vaping have been uncomfortable, yet I love it. The breathing problem comes and goes. The acne is getting worse. On top of that, I burnt my skin with OTC acne cream and over-use, desperately trying to get it to heal. I hate it, and it's embarassing. People also tell me how pale I am all the time. Huh? I don't smoke cigarettes, and I drink tons of water, and eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, peanuts, beans, salads, no meats, no dairy, no eggs. I"m vegan, and I don't smoke cigarettes, and I feel terrible 40% of the time. I may also be in menopause! Oh boy. And you thought your summer was lousy!

So I think that our bodies must just go nuts when we stop the cigarettes, and we'll go through it all trying to recover. Any thoughts?
I can't drink water... Messes me up and always did..

d0nj03

Jul 17, 2010
Romania
When I first read the FAQ I would've liked to see some hints or a link to a list of possible symptoms indicating an allergy to PG instead of just a marginal note that some people have serious reactions to it and no mention whatsoever of what those reactions might be. Now I find it even more important to stress that this needs to be added, since I've actually found out that I'm one of those few allergics and since I've pinpointed the relevant symptoms by experimenting on myself.

So please someone add this list of symptoms to the OP (or something like it, if there's a more thorough assessment somewhere that I don't know about), in the paragraph about PG allergy:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../10915-chest-pains-post554280.html#post554280

Letting 1%(?) of the people panic about their symptoms first and find the explanation later (or not at all) is definitely not going to help the popularity of e-cigs.

Also, you may want to rephrase, nuance or eliminate this statement: "there are NO known symptoms of ecigarette use", as the PG issue makes its current form strictly false.

Last edited:

katiemarie71730

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
Arkansas
Well folks I had went back to smoking the FSC analog cigarettes. I did some research on the FSC and on the MSDS sheet for the #1 ingredient in FSC, which is Vinyl Acetate! It is known to cause tumors in rats! The effects on humans for long periods is unknown. According to the MSDS sheet if inhaled contact physician immediately! If ingested pump stomach! Question: What if you have emphysema? Doesn't some of the Vinyl Acetate wind up in your tummy? Anyways I bought me an absolute max e-cig and went back to them after the bottom of my lungs felt completely numb for 4 months. This disappeared within 2 days of vaping. My nausea and inability to sleep disappeared as well. I cleaned my right ear with q-tip after 3 days of being off analogs and all 10 q-tips both ends were covered with brown tar. My body was forcing the tar out! My breathing has gotten better and less pains in my lungs.
So far my only negative experience with the e-cig was of my own fault for trying to make a suicide flavored e-juice. I mixed cayenne pepper extract,cinnamon,lemon pepper,bell pepper,garlic,onion,grape,cherry,carmel and cut my mix with usp PG After the first 3 drags of vapor of my new mix I began crying,sweating, urinated and defecated on myself and was unable to leave the lil girls room for about 5 hours.

mary_d

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 26, 2010
Indiana
www.parkesvaping.com
Hmmmm I knew the cough and phlegm was to be expected but I had not idea about the acne issue. It has been a week now since I started the e-cig and have not had a analog. I have noticed these acne type bumps on my arms and legs the last few days. There are not alot of them just maybe 3 to 5 on each leg and arm in like a patch. Cold this be due to my quitting smoking? I have never had anything like this before.

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
@d0nj03
Point taken - post #1 edited. A lot of this stuff is a work in progress and it was time to fix that anyway.

So far my only negative experience with the e-cig was of my own fault for trying to make a suicide flavored e-juice. I mixed cayenne pepper extract, cinnamon, lemon pepper, bell pepper, garlic, onion, grape, cherry, caramel and cut my mix with usp PG. After the first 3 drags of vapor of my new mix I began crying, sweating, urinated and defecated on myself and was unable to leave the lil girls room for about 5 hours.

There is just no answer to this. Seriously?

On second thoughts you should patent that mix, it would be excellent as an Xmas present for the mother-in-law who vapes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread