A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette

Status
Not open for further replies.

them0nk

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
San Bernardino, CA
I didn't read through this whole post but i wonder if vaping has caused my 6 month long (2 months less than the time i've been vaping) GIRD (Gastro Intestinal Reflux Disease) like symptoms. They're becoming REALLY hard to handle more and more each day. there is only so much gaviscon out there in the world and i think i've eaten a few whole bottles already. that and the feeling like i can't go anywhere because once i try i get sick and have to leave. it's Really frustrating. I dont want to go back to cigarettes, and it's like i'm almost trying to justify to myself going back is better than this ..... At least when i smoked cigarettes i could GO OUT... i think the *lack* of nicotine might be contributing, or maybe i just vape *too much*. maybe it's the PG... who knows.

I plan to fork out the mounds of cash needed to find the root of my problem through medical advice in the near future (no insurance makes it REALLY HARD to want to go to the doctor...). I hope for my sake, it's not caused by Ecigs. A friend of mine had the Same kind of problem after starting to vape too... which after a battery of tests, and a series of cups (yes poop sample even) they found he had some sort of bacterial infection. His symptoms were much more drastic than mine though. he had the ....s like cashmere for days, stomach was always upset, etc.

I just thought i'd throw my 8 months later testimony in.

madglee

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Been vaping for almost exactly 5 weeks without one cigarette. Started the first 3 weeks with all PG, now doing a lot of 80/20 VG or 90/10 VG.

Things that are different/same:

1) Still have a cough (smoke about 15 years pack a day) and sinus issues, blowing my nose a lot throughout the day. I find this strange because last time I quit about a year go, with no inhalation whatsoever, I was pretty sure I was completely clear with no cough within a month.

2) Way more zits, still not noticeable to most people, but I see them, and always had really clear skin.

3) Every day I wake up and my throat is all scratchy.

4) This apparently is a weird one, and I didn't see one person mention it. I'm pretty sure it HAS to be the PG and/or VG because I've never experienced this and not a lot has changed - much lower sex drive. I DID start a new job and it HAS been pretty stressful, so it's more likely that, but to have a much lower drive, to the point where I only have had the urge like twice in the last two weeks, seems really strange to me. Anyone have this at all? I'm only 36 and usually have an overpowered one.

That's it. I'm hoping the cough and sinuses will clear up and are a result of years of smoking. Now if the damn sex drive would kick back in, that'd be good.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been vaping 24mg for the last 5 weeks. I smoked for about 40 years (started at 16) and was up to 2 PAD of ultra lights for the last ten or so. After the first week I cut my analogs down to 5 a day. Everything was fine for the first few weeks, but lately I find myself with numb fingers for a while after smoking an analog and sometimes after vaping 24mg. I guess it's time to cut the mix down to 16 or 12 and space out the analogs a little more.

In the first few days of vaping and NOT smoking 35 of the 40 analogs I used to smoke everyday I found my lungs clearing up, the cough going away, and noticing that I could climb stairs with no huffing and puffing. My sense of smell and taste comes and goes. There's been some respiratory things going around with the summer heat and allergenic flowering of summer. My wife and I are both experiencing this, as well as most of the people we know.

Ecigs have been a godsend for me. Nothing in the past has been able to allow me to give up (most of) my analogs before without grouchiness and general dip in the quality of life. The couple of times I have quit I have been depressed and grouchy and walked around craving an analog. Other than the little bit of tiredness and reactions to the other tobacco components my body wants, I'm pretty well going through this pretty well.

Last edited:

pastrybiz

Apr 23, 2010
texas
I spent 4 week long sessions in the hospital last year with pneumonia (almost died), acute bronchitis and a serious staph infection until I started ecigs and I have been sick FREE for 4 months. Ecigs have probably saved my life and my doctor has told me after a cat scan that my lungs are totally clear. My doctor totally approves of my vaping even with the % of nic I get. Instead of bad symptoms I could list many good changes in my body but most of you have experienced them. I love my Provape 1 and juice from TV. Oh yeah!.

CaminoDiablo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
East Pembroke NY
When I started ESmoking, you won't believe the issues I had.

4. And the worst of them all, the Runs!!! I was in the bathroom 15-20 times a day it seemed like. Constant stomach issues and trips to the bathroom made the first week not very enjoyable by any stretch of the imagination ...

I thought it was just me, glad that I'm not alone, was starting to get worried.

ingenieur

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Just to add my 2 cents:

-tight chest (PG)
-physical, mechanical pain somewhere in the chest
-canker sores
-small breakouts on forehead

I'm no longer vaping with any regularity, & I'm using my e-cig only when I'm having a few drinks, which is when I'd normally start bumming analogs off of people. Generally, after about 18 months of e-cig use (KR808, 901 attys, cartomizers, PG & VG juices), I'm pretty sketched out about e-cigs, so I'm tapering off. And NOT back to analogs, thankfully...although I never smoked that much to begin with.

Last edited:
I have recently had one side effect from e-cig use. If I use fruity or thick flavors like, caramel, I've been getting apnea like symptoms at night. I'll breathe out when falling asleep and don't breathe in again until I jump out of my skin, lol. I was starting to get apnea before switching to e-cigs, which is why I ordered one to begin with, so it may just be me. Is anyone else having these issues after vaping fruit or candy flavors?

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
I've had a lot of high stress events occur within a relatively short time, wife diagnosed with terminal brain cancer then dying shortly after, my sudden retirement, financial woes, family complications, high blood pressure, etc etc. No, I'm not whining 'poor me' but establishing the situation.

Due to the above, I also began to suffer insomnia, and my doc said it was perfectly normal, considering all these sudden events.

During this same period I gave up analogs and switched to e-cigs completely. My insomnia continued and got worse, often tossing and turning for hours and finally dropping from exhaustion.

It did not occur to me how much nic I was getting late at night. Yeah, I know, "Duh!" Nic is a stimulant and I was over doing it.

Okay, "Duh!" once again.

For the past three evenings, I stopped vaping at 8 pm and went to bed a 12 or 1.

Best sleep I've had in ages.

I bore you with this in case insomnia is a problem. It's horrible, so I suggest you stop vaping early in the evening. Meanwhile, I am shopping for 0 nic juice for those late hours.

bendover

ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2010
Espoo, Finland
SWEDISH snus. It is considered safe.

Sorry to say but snus is everything but safe. I'm long term snus heavy user. I switched to e-cigs to get rid of snus. Snus causes serious mouth, teeth and mucosa related problems.

I live in Finland and lot of people (especially hockey players) are using snus here. It's not considered safe...at least here in Finland...or Sweden.

I've been vaping three weeks...no side effects....but I'm not vaping that much...mostly at evenings.

Last edited:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
my thumb is really sore ...... from pushing the button on my passthru. i switch off hands and fingers but the thumb just seems to work better.
Hahaha Mine to.. I think that this is the worst...

I find that switching between a Janty Stick and the 401 is great since there's no button on the 401, and the Stick has a nice big button so it doesn't hurt.. Lost interest with my 510 because of the button, and will probably get auto batteries to take place of the manuals eventually

Stoked!

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Philly Burbs
I was hyper, couldn't sleep without cutting down to 4mg at night. Had some panic attacks and "crying for no apparent reason" frequently also. All of this is gone now. Lasted for about 2 months. The panic attacks and crying always happens when I quit smoking (in the past since I'm done for good now! :) )...."the not being able to sleep" I attribute to adjusting to higher doses of nicotine late at night and different type of nicotine delivery. Using high nic (36mg/ml) when suffering from crying or panic worked well to fix the withdrawl symptoms. I only had really high juice for emergencies. I tend to vape btwn 6 & 11 mg.

My acne cleared up when I switched to VG base. Doesn't matter if I have some PG but using PG base seems to have been causing my acne. After 3 months of acne I thought I'd try the VG and it worked.

I cough more with the VG I think because of the excess and more dense vapor.

I also cough more when I direct drip into an atty. I prefer premium cartomizers from V4L personally.

I don't cough when I'm only using PG with V4L cartomizers....but now that I'm mixing my own juice and have mods I sacrifice coughing for VG (no acne and better research on healthy outcomes with VG)....and for using direct dripping to get my flavors right before wasting a carto with imperfect juice.

I also direct drip and COUGH HARD when I use my SilverBullet on 6v...but what do you expect...LOL

Good luck everyone and VAPE ON!!

Last edited:

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
Sorry to say but snus is everything but safe. I'm long term snus heavy user. I switched to e-cigs to get rid of snus. Snus causes serious mouth, teeth and mucosa related problems.

I live in Finland and lot of people (especially hockey players) are using snus here. It's not considered safe...at least here in Finland...or Sweden.

I've been vaping three weeks...no side effects....but I'm not vaping that much...mostly at evenings.

Would you share your experience over here: Smokeless tobacco - E-Cigarette Forum
I think most of the info we get comes through vendors. I would be interested in your thoughts.

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
I was hyper, couldn't sleep without cutting down to 4mg at night. Had some panic attacks and "crying for no apparent reason"

I was not going to mention this, but in addition to insomnia, I have also had some bizarre emotional outbursts, like panic attacks and crying for no reason. I still associate that with suddenly losing my wife of 33 years, but could it be vaping?

robertpri

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
Not blaming e cigs at all, AngeLsLuv. As a 55 year analog smoker, e-cigs have probably saved my life, or at least extended it a bit.

E-cigs are the greatest thing that ever happened to nic users, and I have recommended them to probably 25 friends and family.

But vaping does cause some people to have certain reactions, not all, not everyone, but it does happen. Thanks to this forum, we can discuss solutions and compare alternatives.

If it had not been for this forum, I would not have known about VG vs PG, or that very low to zero juice is available to those people like me who are affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread