A new guy.. digital read out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I know people get excited for new stuff, but until there are reviews out from people who have had a new device for several months, I wouldn't invest in it. It's $70 here, a warranty purchase there, different batteries because the length is different, and soon you're in for $100. The button may fail in a month, the voltage regulation may be lousy, it may throttle at higher voltage with LR stuff without warning, etc., and without reliable reviews available, you're the guinea pig.

With all the well-tested and known-reliable VV mods available (BP, IPro, Darwin, Provari, etc.) in the $100-200 range, I honestly think you're better off investing in tried and tested technology and not being a first-adopter (which is always expensive in the long run).

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
What is the use of the puff counter and the clock, I would just as soon know what my battery voltage is.
Why not just use a ext end cap like the Provari instead of a extra battery body which looks like a quarter turn device which looks like a potential for battery connection problems.
Looks like they went for gimmicks instead of solutions.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Yeah, agree with you on the puff counter, though it will certainly be interesting. The time and date is awesome, though a royal pain if you have to reset it every time you switch batts. But as for the endcap thing, it's actually pretty logical. I'm not saying its right, but clearly this device was meant to be an improvement over the lavatube, but appeal to the same customer. So if I were in china manufacturing pv's, I'd probably look at one that was selling like hotcakes, avail in both mini and reg, and say 'hey, lets give em the option of mini OR regular'. Believe it or not, that's how a lot of marketing based specs are decided on. Not so much what delivers the very optimum performance, but what has sold well in our direct competition. I for one like the option. Now it would be handy the provari way, too, of course, but I'm pretty happy with what I'll be getting for $70 all in. If I had $150, I'd def aim for the provari, of course, or even infinity pro.

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
Have to agree to disagree I guess, My cellphone already has time and date and it doesnt need reset with every battery change. The battery issue could have been addressed with a simple endcap instead of a whole new battery body like its other competor the Provari and with another simple sleeve extension inbetween the first battery body and the ext end cap a option for all 3 battery sizes.
Perhaps someone from Lrider will read this and come out with the V2 Lavatube or V3 they can keep coming out with new upgrades and part everyone from there money with the latest and greatest instead of doing it right the first time.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I don't disagree with anything you've said, at all. It all makes perfect sense. I don't quite understand those people that have multiple lower end vvs instead of one good one, myself. But to each their own. For me, however, the $70 price point is at the very high end of my range (i'm disabled, so on a fixed income. Its sucks, and I miss the toys i used to be able to afford, but it is the reality of my situation). I'd looooove a provari, or really I'd prefer a darwin, I think... even an ipro, if I had a backup for when it needed service. But for me, at the price I can afford, this doesn't look like a bad 'main' pv, and it does seem to be better (a bit) than the LT, for me at least.

But I sorta cringe myself when people say they've bought 15 kits/mods in the past, and are finally getting Provari. I'm of the mind that you should buy at the top end of what you can afford. ;)

rem700

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2011
Mn
I tried a cheapo $10 disposable and gave up after less then a week, Several months later I found ECF and heard about the eGO and have been analog free for almost 7mths. I tried the LT but the fire button crapped out after 2 1/2wks so I returned it and went back to my eGos but really wanted a VV as I had come really like VV after the LT I looked at the Buzzpro for $139 but didnt like the idea of stacked batteries and for another $20 I could get into the Provari the Darwin didnt interest me at all. I had a Provari in my shopping cart for 3-4 days before I could bring myself to hit the submit button, The only thing I dislike so far about the Provari is the weight one day if Provari comes out with a aluminum alloy lightweight or LT works out there reliability issues I will order one or the other as a backup to the Provari.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
rem700.... I didn't start with a disposable, exactly, but it was a wretched little creature called a firelight that fried open batteries about 3 a month. Man.. spent a FORTUNE keeping in batts. Stuck with that little thing for almost a year, though, before I found ecf... thank goodness for ecf. lol Then I got an ego... was happy with that for close to a year, and now use a vv box and minibox. But both those boxes crapped out on me in one day, so back with ego. That's why I'm so anxious to get my new tox. I can't afford provari, but the two things that I think would bother me are the single button design, and the weight of it. They're really weighty creatures! I'm really hoping the TOX will be sort of an answer to the LT reliability probs, since it manufactured by Green Sound. Ive never seen the tox in a super detailed review, its too new for that. But I have seen the Ultima (also a Green Sound product). Now I'm not fond of the Ultima, since its essentially designed to be a pricey throw away, but SteelJan's video on it was awesome. She took it apart, and showed how Green Sound used oled screen (which just about noone does) and used screws to keep everything in place, instead of the glue thats more common. So crossing fingers that the Tox is manufactured with the same high standards! But I do like the fact that you can change tube size, also. And I'm buying a 3 yr warranty to go with mine from Squaretrade for $11... so just on the offchance it dies early, I'll be protected. But do keep you eye on the tox, since hopefully it'll end up even cheaper than lava (it JUST came out, and you can already get the kit with 2 tubes, 2 batts (one for each size), 2 vision giant tank thingies (i think they're a cross between a clearo and a carto tank), lanyard for $69. So in a couple mos, they might be much cheaper, plus coming out in colors, and by then the reliability will be established. I hate being one of the guinea pigs on the new ones, but I'm desperate, so I'm relying on the Green Sound quality and the warranty. Plus, some of the features are just nicer. Crossing fingers!

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I didn't know about Squaretrade myself, till someone here referred it to me. Basically how it works is you go here..
SquareTrade Warranties | SquareTrade Warranties | Extended Warranties for 60% Less Than Retail | Electronics Insurance Alternative
and click the 'get a warranty' button. It has a drop down menu, so for an ecig (or anything else electronic that doesn't fit into another category' you put it under misc, then electronics. And put in the price you pay for your kit. Now the cost does go up, depending on how expensive the basic item is. For a $69 misc electronic item, I'm getting quoted $11 for 3 years, so I guarantee it'll be higher on a provari, but guessing it'll still be lower than the $25 per year or whatever you were getting quoted by provape. Plus, from what I've been told, on an item under the $250 or $300 price point, if it malfunctions, they pretty much just process a money back, super quickly. Most of the reviews on squaretrade site say they pay within a day. So none of the messing around with the manufacturer...sending it back for a month to be fixed, getting it back and its still fritzy nonsense. Hope that helps! I was really excited about it, since I REALLY can't afford to lose the $70 on a bad kit.

But as for the regular working person... I honestly don't think you can do wrong by investing in a provari, or if you're a little tech-ier, maybe even a darwin. They absolutely are made to last, and perform beautifully... I'm just on a small income, so its not an option for me. But I don't think I've EVER heard anyone say they regretted investing in one. ;)

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
Thanks for the Squaretrade info they quoted $26.99 for 3yrs on the Provari so thats basically 15% about the same as the Tox. The Provari is already covered by a 1yr warranty so its actually 2yrs extended.
Wish I was a regular working person but havnt had regular work in over 2yrs.

Just fyi, the guy on the phone told me that the warranty doesn't really start until the manufacturer's one ends, so I took that to mean you'd be covered for 4 yrs... the first yr by the manufacturer, then 3 plus. But you still have to buy within 90 days of purchase, and that is another chunk of moola. I'm not 100% sure about that, but might be worth a call to them if you're interested. And I'm right there with ya on the financial issues. Sucks, huh? Good job wrangling a provari into the budget. I'd LOOOVE to do that some day, but haven't managed to do that yet. Good luck finding work! ;)

And SteelJan... Yeah, I think if the pv fairy showed up, Darwin would be my choice... but that's so far out of my budget as to be laughable. They are amazing, though! BTW, I Luuurved your video. Not sure what its called, but you were tearing apart a little marble pattern box made by Green Sound. I'm about to buy the GS-SUB aka Vision Tox, so it was great to see how well the thing was made...screws instead of glue, etc. I think it was called something like orion? Something by Gotvapes, anyway, with a buried 510 connection and designed to be disposable (that would drive me nuts, though). But truly, your review made me much more confident in my choice within the budget. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread