A question about "steeping"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
you can loosen the lid or not, and you can let it sit for a week, basically it means letting your liquids sit so all the flavors mend together and get to the ultimate taste. As for V4L products I wouldn't think you would have to worry about steeping them one bit seeing they are made in China and probably close to a month old by the time you get them. For the most part I think there is a lot of BS about steeping, I have never personally fell in love with a liquid that I let sit for 3 weeks that I didn't like right out of the bottle or vice verse. As for Chinese liquids they are steeped plenty by the time you get them in my opinion

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
you can loosen the lid or not, and you can let it sit for a week, basically it means letting your liquids sit so all the flavors mend together and get to the ultimate taste. As for V4L products I wouldn't think you would have to worry about steeping them one bit seeing they are made in China and probably close to a month old by the time you get them. For the most part I think there is a lot of BS about steeping, I have never personally fell in love with a liquid that I let sit for 3 weeks that I didn't like right out of the bottle or vice verse. As for Chinese liquids they are steeped plenty by the time you get them in my opinion

Thank you for your reply. I was reading a post earlier where the person takes the lid off when steeping. I was wondering if it is supposed to evaporate or something. Yes, I
bought some juice elsewhere to try, and was told I should steep it for a week or two. Again, Thank You.

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
About 9 months ago I steeped some Premium Sour Green Apple for a week and it did change the flavor dramatically. Outside of that I have never had to steep V4L flavors, only other vendors with custom juices.

Sally this is what I do for custom juices that require it:

Remove the cap and dropper, let it sit in dark place (closet/cabinet shelf) for 24 hours to breath
Put cap and dropper on, shake it vigorously for a minute, put it back in storage for 24 hours leave cap and dropper on
Shake vigorously again, remove cap and dropper, place back in storage for an hour or two to breath
Place cap and dropper back on, place back in storage unmolested for 1 week

During this process you will actually see a change in the color of any light colored juices and they will become darker.

Hope that helps doll....................

Last edited:

Darrigaaz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I see many people using the term "steeping", but the term seems to be used for a couple different things.

Some people let their juices sit unopened for a couple of weeks to let the flavors meld together when ordering from a vendor that mixes the juice as you order it. You can also shake the bottle vigorously to accomplish the same effect. If doing massive amounts of juice at once, you could even use a paint mixing machine.

The rest think of steeping as adding gentle heat and exposing their liquids to air to smooth out the liquids. I've seen threads about how long to microwave your juices, or how long to put your bottles in water on the stove and at which temperatures. I've read threads pertaining to how long to leave your juices sitting in an open bottle, or to use increased air flow via a fan. The types of juices that this seems to help with are the types of juices that are mixed with alcohols. It is my belief that the alcohols that are used to thin some supplier's juices are making a harsh TH. By leaving the juice bottle unsealed, some of the alcohols are evaporating off and leaving a smoother tasting juice.

From what I've read, the problem with this is that by leaving the nicotine open to exposure, the nicotine is degrading faster than it would in a sealed container.

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Oh My!!! This vaping thing can be so complicated. I am so grateful I found the simple method of KR8s & pre-filled cartomizers, else I would never have gotten into ecigs and would probably still be smoking.

I have been wondering about steeping though. My next delivery from V4l will be some bottles of Nuport juice in 4mg,8mg & 0mg. They are all from a certain batch of Nuport, and I have bottles from 2 other batches.
I plan to mix all the bottles & mgs from the 3 batches together to produce a blend of Nuport. Obviously all have steeped individually but once I mix them all together, should I let the mix steep?

I also have some unflavoured juice, nic juice and flavours to experiment with, just for fun. Is there any point trying out a new recipe before it's been steeped?

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Ms. Katz you shouldn't have to let it steep, but if you use the november batch, then possibly. That batch was slightly off (not horrible, but had a little too sweet an aftertaste), and steeping did indeed balance it....

To my taste, the November batch has a strong spearmint flavour and the after-taste lacks the complexity & hint of nut that I like. How did you steep it? Did you leave the lid off etc?

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Left the lid and stopper off Ms. Katz and kept it in a dark drawer in a cool room for 12 hours. Gave it a quick shake before use, and the aftertaste came back.... :)

Interesting, I'll give it a try. Mind you, now I've ordered all these bottles of the previous batch, specifically to blend.

It's interesting just how different the three batches are though. The oldest has a very dark after-taste, the next has an almost bubble-gum after-taste and the newest is as we've discussed. I've found blending them together works well, even without being too specific as to the ratios. I'm hoping that just putting them all together will create a super-Nuport. When I get 2/3 of the way through, I plan to mix in more of the latest batch to wean myself onto the flavour.

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
I also have some unflavoured juice, nic juice and flavours to experiment with, just for fun. Is there any point trying out a new recipe before it's been steeped?

Okay...here is a simple way to understand steeping (and I know I quoted you Katz, but I'll get to that part in a minute:p)....I think everyone will agree that some foods, such as soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc ALWAYS taste better the next day. Or even the ALL day cooking of some of the same types of foods on low heat.....well, that is basically what steeping is. It is giving all the components in the mix time to infuse with one another and become the most flavorful. For E-juice, some flavors need longer than others...tobacco's seem to need the longest to come to fruition, then the creamy flavors such as vanilla...fruits tend to need the least and some need none at all.

Now for why I quoted the pretty pretty kitty:laugh: Katz, there is a way to speed the steeping process in DIY juices. Mix the flavoring with the unflavored juice (no nicotine liquid at this point), and place it in a bowl or glass of Hot water....once the water has cooled to room temp, shake up the mix and you can either repeat this, or add your nic juice.....You do not want to heat the nicotine as it will degrade quicker.....heat, oxygen, and uv light are nicotine liquids worst enemies....so be sure to heat the 0 nic mix first and after it cools add the nic to the mixture.....now is that clear as mud or what:laugh:

Sallyem

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
California
During this process you will actually see a change in the color of any light colored juices and they will become darker.

Hope that helps doll....................

Thank you so much, SnowDragon! That sounds like a lot to keep track of! Thank goodness for V4L, we don't need to do that with their juices!
Good to see you posting, Snow!

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Okay...here is a simple way to understand steeping (and I know I quoted you Katz, but I'll get to that part in a minute:p)....I think everyone will agree that some foods, such as soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, etc ALWAYS taste better the next day. Or even the ALL day cooking of some of the same types of foods on low heat.....well, that is basically what steeping is. It is giving all the components in the mix time to infuse with one another and become the most flavorful. For E-juice, some flavors need longer than others...tobacco's seem to need the longest to come to fruition, then the creamy flavors such as vanilla...fruits tend to need the least and some need none at all.

Now for why I quoted the pretty pretty kitty:laugh: Katz, there is a way to speed the steeping process in DIY juices. Mix the flavoring with the unflavored juice (no nicotine liquid at this point), and place it in a bowl or glass of Hot water....once the water has cooled to room temp, shake up the mix and you can either repeat this, or add your nic juice.....You do not want to heat the nicotine as it will degrade quicker.....heat, oxygen, and uv light are nicotine liquids worst enemies....so be sure to heat the 0 nic mix first and after it cools add the nic to the mixture.....now is that clear as mud or what:laugh:

Cool. Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread