• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

All in the name of science....

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
Fraser Valley, BC, Canada
Yah. I did it. I did it and I'm not sorry.

I had a stinkie today.

I was out and about on errands and broke the cardinal rule.... no back up. I really figured I had enough power left in my mini and I was dead wrong. Early in the errands, it flashed and went to sleep. Durnit.

I met up with son's Dad briefly, who's still a smoker. By then I was really in want of a nic fix, but I had determined to wait until I got home. Then suddenly, a thought crossed my mind that changed it:
"I should see if I even can stand the stupid things anymore, not because I actually want one, but in the name of science I wanna see if these things still have any hold on me."

So I asked if he could spare one, bummed a light, and drew.

GHASTLY.... I coughed lightly and he laughed. "Not used to that anymore, eh?" he chuckled.

"Nope," said I, "and now I can't figure out how I used to demolish 25+ of these each day." I coughed hoarsely, then drew again with grim determination. Exhaled with a grimace, then smirked and added, "I feel like I just ate an ashtray.... yep, I was right.... I am SO done with these things. You really need to try what I'm rockin' these days. This is truly vile."

So.... I wait with fingers crossed, hoping that he'll join our ranks and not come to visit with ....-can breath any more.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
heh..... no worries there peeps..... it's not like I have to give up my nic addiction..... My juices have nic! But they taste lovely, don't leave my hair, clothes, hands and breath stinking and aren't killing me. There's no concern necessary, though I appreciate it.

It's really not comparable to the 12 step scenario, because I'm not actually quitting my poison.... just the poisoned cocktail and poor packaging that surrounded it! If you're determined to make the alcohol parallel, then the only appropriate comparison I can come up with is this.... it's as though you're concerned I'd choose to drink Lysol if I was trapped in the wine cellar at the White House with only a corkscrew in my pocket. Not a chance....

I'll stick with my PV any day, and twice on Sunday.

Smile n' shine

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2012
Canada
You know? I have often wondered the same thing....what would it would be like and how I would feel about it?
Frankly, I'm afraid, even though I still get the odd 10 second craving. I keep telling myself that ONE drag will set me back (self brainwashing). I'm curious how I'll get through the holidays...and yes back ups for back ups & car chargers too ;)

I think it's a good thing to experience how gross it is compared to vaping. I would also think your senses were burning after being smoke free for the last few months!?

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
You know? I have often wondered the same thing....what would it would be like and how I would feel about it?
Frankly, I'm afraid, even though I still get the odd 10 second craving. I keep telling myself that ONE drag will set me back (self brainwashing). I'm curious how I'll get through the holidays...and yes back ups for back ups & car chargers too ;)

I think it's a good thing to experience how gross it is compared to vaping. I would also think your senses were burning after being smoke free for the last few months!?

Well, with vaping as an alternative, I can't see it having any draw.... but nor do I recommend it despite my actions.

Because even though it may not snare you, then you get to deal with the aftermath!

My throat burned, and for the next hour of my errands, I tasted ashtray every time I exhaled. I couldn't WAIT to return home to brush my teeth, wash my hands and vape something yummy. For a successful smoker-turned-vaper it was like visiting a buffet created by skilled culinary artisans, and choosing to eat dirt from the planters instead.

The only reason I can think of that anyone still smokes is that they haven't tried this yet. (Or didn't pursue it long enough to find their good fit of equipment and juice.)

Let's just say that my curiosity is satisfied, and I'll be more careful about overestimating battery life!

farmer_bric

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
Maberly, ON
My greatest fear ... being stuck somewhere wtih dead vaping kit :(

Probably that is why I travel like a packed mule when I go out. As a backup to my backups, my generous wife packs a spare nicorette lozenge (4 mg) in her purse. I have found that this can get me ~5 hrs worth of peace, which should be good enough to get back to the farm.

It's wonderfull tyger that you suvived the situation :)

Targone

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
heh..... no worries there peeps..... it's not like I have to give up my nic addiction..... My juices have nic! But they taste lovely, don't leave my hair, clothes, hands and breath stinking and aren't killing me. There's no concern necessary, though I appreciate it.

It's really not comparable to the 12 step scenario, because I'm not actually quitting my poison.... just the poisoned cocktail and poor packaging that surrounded it! If you're determined to make the alcohol parallel, then the only appropriate comparison I can come up with is this.... it's as though you're concerned I'd choose to drink Lysol if I was trapped in the wine cellar at the White House with only a corkscrew in my pocket. Not a chance....

I'll stick with my PV any day, and twice on Sunday.

You're right Tyger it isn't the same as total abstinence from our poison of choice.
Really glad you found that stinky stick so disgusting

There is still something in analogs,not going to get into the chemistry,that were not getting
with our pv.
My first week was a fight for my life not to have analog.
Just an honest concern from a fellow exsmoker
No offence intended
Vape on! :)T

Last edited:

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
....As a backup to my backups, my generous wife packs a spare nicorette lozenge (4 mg) in her purse. I have found that this can get me ~5 hrs worth of peace, which should be good enough to get back to the farm.

Ah yes! The lozenges.... I remember you mentioning them and I keep forgetting to pick some up. That really would be a wise thing to have tucked in a corner of my purse in the event of an emergency. Thanks for reminding me!

You're right Tyger it isn't the same as total abstinence from our poison of choice.
Really glad you found that stinky stick so disgusting...

There is still something in analogs,not going to get into the chemistry,that were not getting with our pv.
My first week was a fight for my life not to have analog.
Just an honest concern from a fellow exsmoker
No offence intended
Vape on! :)T

Oh, none taken, Targone! And I am fortunate.... vaping does seem to completely "scratch my itch".... so I have no attraction to analogs anymore.... save the pure curiosity I sated yesterday. But as I say, that in no way should be read that I recommend that to others! There's a reason I waxed on and on about how yucky it was. Hoping those reading would be put off trying. It was nasty. x 10.

HA! You said "culinary artisans". AWESOME!

I was searching for words, and thought of you! ;) Seriously!..... I'm so happy you noticed and I made you laugh *giggles*

iheartpoco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
London, Ontario
I know whenever I've quit cigs for a few days, only smoked cigarillos, they always taste disgusting when I first have one again. Then, after having 2 or 3, they start to taste pretty good again.

I'm staying away from them this time, because I know they'll taste gross if I try a puff, and because I am at least getting warm vapor and good throat hit from my Redds.

The thing I miss most about them is how soft the filter is, how you can squish it a little between your fingers, and just feel a little spongy resistance when you take a drag. Also, I miss the instant head buzz of nicotine after going for all day at work without a smoke. I actually ordered some higer-nic juice to see if I can replicate this at certain times of the day (morning, after work.) I guess I just need to keep looking for a "squishy" carto...lol...

teabagger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2010
newmarket
I actually ordered some higer-nic juice to see if I can replicate this at certain times of the day (morning, after work.) I guess I just need to keep looking for a "squishy" carto...lol...

From what I have read the 46mg juice in the njoy king is what you are looking for... they also have a squishy carto. downside is they are disposable at 9 bucks a pop... 3 for 25.. I am still thinking of ordering them to try however.

shades

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2009
Perth, Ontario
What I did was I left two cigarettes I had left in my "bag" of analogs, sitting in my glove compartment.. no zip lock bag just out in the open. Part way through my day at work about 2 months later, my lavatube died a scary death ( it was actually scary to use before it finally offed itself) and I did my best to get through the rest of the day but eventually I broke down and grabbed one of those 2 month old baggers.......

I was nauseous, omg the taste.... the coughing fits..... yeah...

So since then... always a back up battery, device and charging option :)

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
From what I have read the 46mg juice in the njoy king is what you are looking for... they also have a squishy carto. downside is they are disposable at 9 bucks a pop... 3 for 25.. I am still thinking of ordering them to try however.

OMG!!! 46mg! yikes!!!

What I did was I left two cigarettes I had left in my "bag" of analogs, sitting in my glove compartment.. no zip lock bag just out in the open. Part way through my day at work about 2 months later, my lavatube died a scary death ( it was actually scary to use before it finally offed itself) and I did my best to get through the rest of the day but eventually I broke down and grabbed one of those 2 month old baggers.......

I was nauseous, omg the taste.... the coughing fits..... yeah...

So since then... always a back up battery, device and charging option :)

Heh! I remember that story.... yes, that had to have been a horrible experience ;)

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
It's not like alcohol if you are vaping then have cig because you just go back to vaping. You've been satisfying those T cells adequately all along. With alcohol there is nowhere else to go if you are addictive type alcoholic. I just want to say you will still taste that crap tomorrow morning. Takes hours and hours to get a fresh mouth back. Remember to wash your hair and may as well through your clothes in the dirty laundry.

tygertyger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2012
It's not like alcohol if you are vaping then have cig because you just go back to vaping. You've been satisfying those T cells adequately all along. With alcohol there is nowhere else to go if you are addictive type alcoholic. I just want to say you will still taste that crap tomorrow morning. Takes hours and hours to get a fresh mouth back. Remember to wash your hair and may as well through your clothes in the dirty laundry.

You're so right.... even after brushing my teeth, I woke up this morning with a faint icky hint of ashtray in my throat.... it was pretty gross.

Zenataos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2012
British Columbia, Canada
I went on a short roadtrip from the Okanagan Valley to Vancouver (about a 6 hour drive) with a friend of mine, she's a smoker and I've been Vaping exclusively since February.

We stopped for a pee break and she lit up a smoke, I sat there contently vaping away on my Provari + ZAP and asked if I could steal a puff... tried it... OMG how the hell did I ever do this, I gagged and hacked for a couple min and went back to vaping bliss.

It's been cemented in my thick skull now that smoking is archaic and vaping is the future. There just is no comparison.

I think the reason so many people have an issue switching to vaping is their lack of tastebuds. When I first started vaping I could not taste the juice for the life of me, now it's bloody delicious (not to mention my food is so much better as well).

Live Long, Vape Hard, Convert who you can...

Mindfield

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2010
Toronto, ON
Heh. I think we've all gone through that, many of us for precisely the same reasons. I actually deliberately had a smoke at my 1-week point into vaping specifically to find out what it was like now that I noticed my senses of smell and taste improving, and more importantly to see if they still had any hold on me. The results were, in order, "Christ, these are nasty, how the hell did I ever smoke these?" and "Nope, not even slightly," followed by a side of, "Holy, did I really smell like this all the time?"

So, yeah, I discovered pretty quickly that smoking didn't have any hold on me, and that it was now nasty enough that I never even wanted to go back.

Science. It works, b*tches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread