An Affordable RBA 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggerintx

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
United States
OK, I found a 1.4mm micro-screwdriver (about 1/18") and used that as a mold. I wrapped 10/11 of 30 ga Kanthal for about 2.0 Ohms and made them as close together as I can - it looks like a spring. Again cotton wick from rolled cotton - I tried to use a bit less cotton so it fit more easily. The wick and coil are mounted well above the ceramic floor.

I'll try this today and report back. BTW, I'm using this on a Grand.

slUAWW9.jpg

Last edited:

hildicat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2011
SoCal
OK, I found a 1.4mm micro-screwdriver (about 1/18") and used that as a mold. I wrapped 10/11 of 30 ga Kanthal for about 2.0 Ohms and made them as close together as I can - it looks like a spring. Again cotton wick from rolled cotton - I tried to use a bit less cotton so it fit more easily. The wick and coil are mounted well above the ceramic floor.

slUAWW9.jpg
Don't get me wrong, your coil looks fantastic, but I would guess the resistance is too high for you grand. That would be great on a vvg at 5 volts. I think around .9 to 1.3 ohms is the sweet spot for the grand.

Its hard to explain, but these rbas seem to work better at a higher wattage than what we would expect to use for a disposable atty or carto.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com

slUAWW9.jpg

That build looks superb bro. Look forward to hearing your results.

biggerintx

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
United States
hildicat, I thought the same thing too, but the "micro-coils" built this way seem to perform differently. I surely don't know why. I'm just trying to model what other people are using.

super_x_drifter, with just a little vaping over the last hour the flavor is better with the 2.0 Ohm versus the 1.6 Ohm and with the coils closer together. Vapor production is still good too. As with hildicat I would have thought this would be too high a resistance but it seems to work and that is what matters.

However, based on a recommendation from a genesis thread I read a while back I tried an experiment and this made more of a difference in flavor than any of the three wick and coils I have built. I used a little silicon "rubber band" to cover-up "half" of the air hole and the flavor improved even more. Draw was tighter, less vapor production, but more flavor. Just what I didn't need - another variable. LOL

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
hildicat, I thought the same thing too, but the "micro-coils" built this way seem to perform differently. I surely don't know why. I'm just trying to model what other people are using.

super_x_drifter, with just a little vaping over the last hour the flavor is better with the 2.0 Ohm versus the 1.6 Ohm and with the coils closer together. Vapor production is still good too. As with hildicat I would have thought this would be too high a resistance but it seems to work and that is what matters.

However, based on a recommendation from a genesis thread I read a while back I tried an experiment and this made more of a difference in flavor than any of the three wick and coils I have built. I used a little silicon "rubber band" to cover-up "half" of the air hole and the flavor improved even more. Draw was tighter, less vapor production, but more flavor. Just what I didn't need - another variable. LOL

Surface area of heating element being larger produces great flavor and vapor. It's the same reason ribbon wire is so great, ideally a solid heating element with holes for vapor to escape could be made. As long as the device can power it up fully it should be amazing.

biggerintx

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2013
United States
Got overzealous on my "testing" and burnt the wick in half. Talk about a dry hit. Doh.

Tried a bit more cotton and left the tails on and twisted them around the back away from the feed hole. The coil is still well off the bottom and the feed hole is still clear but now there is some wick touching the bottom away from the feed hole on both sides. So far so good with this new coil - flavor is improved and I like the mouth feel a bit more too.

I took the little silicon band off the air hole for now, but it was an interesting test. I see now why there are places offering air holes drilled in different sizes or units offering adjustable air-flow. I thought it was just draw resistance, but apparently vapor production and flavor are part of it too.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Got overzealous on my "testing" and burnt the wick in half. Talk about a dry hit. Doh.

Tried a bit more cotton and left the tails on and twisted them around the back away from the feed hole. The coil is still well off the bottom and the feed hole is still clear but now there is some wick touching the bottom away from the feed hole on both sides. So far so good with this new coil - flavor is improved and I like the mouth feel a bit more too.

I took the little silicon band off the air hole for now, but it was an interesting test. I see now why there are places offering air holes drilled in different sizes or units offering adjustable air-flow. I thought it was just draw resistance, but apparently vapor production and flavor are part of it too.

Awesome! I remember when I got my first chalice, it was drilled to 1/16" air. Damn I hated it. Talk about loose draw! Did that carto condom thing too, but Didn't like the aesthetic. So I kept vaping it and got used to it a couple of days later. Trick was slow draws. Then I got another chalice. I was stoked cause it had the stock size air hole. But... It was like trying to drink a Wendy's frosty thru a straw compared to the other one. I had actually gotten used to and preferred the draw with the 1/16"! I have subsequent drilled both of my other chalices to 1/16".

The 2.0, as is, is perfect. Try and run it a few days "loose". Just draw slower. Talk about good hits....

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Hi All,
Built my first coil and it's crude.

I have two questions
1. The way my Bottom Feeder is arranged when I'm at an angle the fluid goes in the opposite direction of the Edge where most set up the atomizer. So it makes sense for me to set it up on the other side [Flow Hole Side] where I have more room to work and less possibility of shorting by my mesh wick rubbing against the outside shell. Can I do it that way.

2nd I built it with rolled mesh and 28 Gauge Wire. I found the 28 Gauge too stiff and a very high Ohm. I was getting shorts until I made sure my mesh neither touched the bottom, outside metal shell, or posts and was totally suspended. Anybody else find the 28 Gauge rediculously thick or was it the brand I bought which was from OKC.
I assume it's a short when your battery spring starts heating up. I assume that it's a partial short and not a complete short.

Last edited:

Mudflap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Is the post on this ok to use? Don't want to fry the Reo when it comes back, and don't want to go trying to force the post to the center.

View attachment 203495

From the picture, it looks ok, but if you have a multimeter, use it to test for continuity between the positive post and the threads. Also, poke at the center post a little bit to see if moves close to the threads at all. If it does, don't use it.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Kudos to you Rob for a Great Bottom Feeding RBA.
I'm a happy camper.
I am now a member of the Reomizer Fan Club!

Hurray, 2nd try was the charm using 32 Gauge and a Pre-Rolled 400 Mesh SS Oxidized Wick.
4 rolls around a small piece of rolled SS 400 Mesh. If I can do it anyone can!!!
Came in 1.4Ohm Stable

I found an interesting trick by accident. The Pre-Rolled was a little uneven so when I was done I moved the coils up the fatter side and that tightened them.

Instead of having my wick up against the side, I have it in the center and it's covering the Squonk hole. Guaranteed instant liquid to the wick and more room to work in.

Tastes very good, can't wait to break it in. Draw is superb.

Just had to show a picture of it!
2nd_Wick.jpg

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Hey,

Just wanted to say a big thanks for the Micro Coil suggestion. I've built one out on my Reomizer 2.0 with 30g at 1.6ohm. They both give an awesome flavor and vapor. Pics below. Cheers!

View attachment 203561

That looks just like my rig, except for the metal drip tip and button cover. Nice work boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread