Anyone ever given you the stinkeye or rude comments in public while vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Lexington, Kentucky, United States
So me and my girlfriend are travelling the US and we visited the space center in Huntsville, Alabama a couple of weeks ago. We were reading some info on the shuttle they have on display and next to us a dad was doing the same together with his daughter. We were sort of walking the same route and I could see them curiously studying the spinner w/ evod hanging around my neck. They met up with mother and son and I observed them studying me and my device further, sensing there was some judging going on. Now, I was wearing my {BANNED BAND} cap ( great band if you're into {CERTAIN TYPE OF MUSIC}) at the time, so I can't really blame them. Reading another sign, the whole damn family came up to us and the father, in a quite accusing tone asked me 'Is that a real pipe you have there? My kids were wondering.'. Your kids? Really? So he was playing the whole blame game (ie. if my children are ever to smoke {SOMETHING BAD} in their life, I'm blaming you) in one hostile outburst. However, I told him politely it is a e-cigarette and how I quit smoking cold turkey after 14 years. He seemed to chill down a bit and we had a somehow tense but okay conversation about our travels with him and his family. Of course it turned out they are extremely christian and of course he had to throw in a 'Remember that Jesus loves you' when we left. All in all a fascinating experience topped with the irony in fundamentalists hanging out at the space center :D

This is however the only close to negative feedback I've gotten since i bought my beloved e-cig in Texas a month ago, and going through some of the most conservative states in the US (mostly with that cap on) I must say that's surprisingly good :)

Being my virgin post on ECF, be nice, okay? :)

They should start saying "jesus loves you, but Im going to go ahead and judge anyways"

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
Only from my girlfriend's roommate who thought I was doing some kind of crazy future drug in their house.

lol the "future device" routine. I get this from my friends. they know what it is, but always call me a "space junky" haha. regardless, my space vape taste better than their burning tar and 1000's of chemicals and research chemicals jammed into those lil ciggies..

Jfresh859

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
got some rude comments from one religious teacher asking if i got any durian flavour or any rambutan flavour.. all the while smoking analogue in front of me... ha ha

funny, isnt that body of theirs a temple. analogues, piercings, makeup, all that stuff goes against "most" religious subscriptions.

I just got back from a trip to Texas. I was in three different airports and on five different planes. I vaped in all of them and never had any issue. At one security checkpoint they had to scan my mod from a different angle and that's it. The TSA guy doing the scanning new it was an ecig but just needed a different angle and that is the only issue I had. Plenty of staff and flight attendants saw me vaping and said nothing. I had more looks of curiosity than anything but nothing negative. Of course when I was vaping I would wait to exhale so there was no cloud of vapor.

I even had an atomizer go bad and used the lavatory on board the plane to swap to a new one.

Pleasantly surprised by the experience.

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It surprises me that e-cigs are even allowed on an aircraft, given how much energy these batteries hold, but then again, they're no worse than a cell phone or tablet.:closedeyes:

Vape on! :headbang:
Laptops batteries hold a lot more energy... and have been know to explode...

U the same BigBen2k from Procooling?

SAABseanSCANIA

Aug 20, 2013
Newton, NH
I actually usually love the weird stares and looks. While I try to explain what it is to anybody whos ASKS, there are still those who stare with a stink-eye. Oh well. I've yet to have someone confront me in a negative way; which is probably for the best.....for them. I can't stand people who think they have a prerogative to police the public. It's not smoking, leave me alone. If an establishment won't allow vaping, then they lose a customer; it's that simple. But if I'm in public? Either educate yourself or have some class and mind your business.

The oddest thing I've gotten is people thinking it was drugs. It's just something new, like anything else, that will get attention; and people have a natural inclination to associating anything smoked that isn't a cigarette with drugs.

When people are fascinated by it, I will always get my soapbox out though. As I said in another post, most of the attention I get is positive and people just want to know what it is. I've converted a good handfull of smokers just by explaining this mystical device I'm "smoking" with.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
The guy I'm working with right now coughs every time I vape in my truck

The "fake cough" always irritated me all of the years I smoked, its as much a deception as bruising yourself and then claiming that someone hit you, a cheap and tawdry trick to gain dominance and undeserved sympathy ...

Personally, I can't imagine myself challenging any non-violent behavior of another human being in public, its crude and childish ...

We all have the option of distancing ourselves from anything that disturbs us in a public setting, and that includes rude behavior by power-trippers ...

Yerf Dog

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2013
Carol Stream, IL USA
No stink-eye yet, 40 days in. So far it's been questions from people familiar with vaping and more question from people who don't know what it is.

We always ask our server first when we're at a restaurant or bar.

The thing I don't want to see is vaping being lumped together with smoking in the public's perception. The next thing you know, it will be treated just like smoking. That would be a shame.

Buritto

Jul 29, 2013
USA
I never got the stink eye. Instead people look over in curiosity. Some will ask what it is I'm smoking. Other vaporizer/ecig users who aren't familiar with MODs/APV will ask me about it.

I don't usually vape indoors in public. If people are walking by I'll wait until they pass before my next draw. If I see children walking by I keep my vaporizer out of sight.

Though, if I'm outdoors and I'm already standing out of the way of walking paths/doorways and the wind blows vapor towards people, oh well. Same goes when I'm standing/sitting/chilling with my non-smoking/non-vaping friends. I mean, I'll exhale opposite of your direction but the wind goes where it wants to go.

knitcrotatter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Waterbury, CT, USA
I got the stink eye the other day at my counselor's office. I was in the waiting room vaping - with permission - and another client came in and glared at me. I told her I had permission, to which she replied, "It doesn't matter, you can't smoke in ANY building!" I calmly said that it was a good thing I wasn't smoking then. Cue baffled face from other client. I then explained vaping and she relaxed a LOT.
Vape On! :vapor:

HarleyNana

Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
Eldorado, TX, USA
I was in the mall last week and a lady had a little shop set up. She didn't have much, just a few blingy batteries, EVOD tanks, and 1 kind of juice in 12 and 24mg.

She was demostrating to a walker-by but wasn't getting much vapor. I pulled out my spinner (not the best, but I like it) with my protank and some Nicoticket Betelguese and started vaping.

(cue "Battle of the Banjos" here) She would vape, I would blow plumes, she vaped, I plumed. This went on for a little while and we were getting lots of stink eyes. Then a few people started gathering around, then a few more. They started asking questions and when I left, the lady was happily ringing up sales.
I think she will be expanding her inventory soon. Gotta love the small businesses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread