The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Discussion in 'RTA' started by VictorC, Nov 3, 2017.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah, I do love mine, and it's a matter of just a tiny click back into place. I've taken it out of the house and had it roll around in my purse sans leaking or anything, and it's been great. I'm also still on my first coil and wick, so win. I hope my next one doesn't have a slightly loose top cap, but I'd take that over leaking or condensation, any day of the week. The flavor is awesome, and it's just an excellent atomizer, despite some of its early issues.

I find most of my favorite vape gear to have a "fatal flaw" that needs to be dealt with, but I love them anyway. It's like they're my closet of misfit toys or something.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 52anddone

52anddone Vaping Master ECF Veteran

I can Now see why folks feel that way. I'm almost ashamed that it took me this long to find out first hand, what a Daisy of an Atomizer the KayFun really is (at least for me). I too have the Berserker 24mm's, the CV Hussar's, the Siren V1's (which still get used daily:thumbs:), the Cthulhu V2's, Taifun GT-T V2's (very close to the KayFun's overall:thumbs:), the Flash-e-Vapor's V3 & V4, the RSST's and so on. The KayFun V2L+ though, I will have in my hands most of the day now :thumbs::thumbs::thumb:. I also have been looking at the Russian 91% V1 and V2 from Kebo, but haven't made a decision on that one yet to buy one and try.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 52anddone

I remember, way back when, of you posting that ricks. The only thing I can come up with is the fact you and I have very similar, but not exact, taste's. Close enough for a Hand Granade contest, but not exact. Your posts were always ringing in my head about the KayFun, and that's why I didn't get one for the longest time. That just shows me that even If one thinks another here on ECF has taste's that are very similar to yours in atomizers, still try something different, as your taste might be a little different and you might like something the other person doesn't (did that make any sense to ya'll ??). I still keep an eye on what ricks posts though, as his taste's are really close to mine.

• Like Like x 4
  4. 52anddone

I still think back on when my Parents sold my Fender Jazz Master/Fender Showman when I was in the Army overseas in '69-'70 :( (I didn't know that they had done that till I got back). I still miss that setup and would have it today. Oh, the memories of days gone by.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ricks

ricks Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I agree, we are very similar with vaping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 52anddone

We both like the Berserker 24mm RTA. I find the KayFun has better flavor with my Menthol/Mint DIY juice and a better TH also, but, with my Unflavored ECX DIY mix I find both about even in Flavor, but the KayFun still has a bit more TH for me. TH is a very important component in my vape that I find I have to have to find true satisfaction, and I think we differ in that regard. I am finding that certain flavors, or mixes, DO work differently in different atomizers with both TH and Flavor, so when a person posts that there is no flavor, or less flavor, in a certain atomizer, I take that with a grain of salt, as it could be just the juice they use with that particular Atomizer. I know, I'm a little slow here folks, but these things really do intrigue me alot.

I would think that the Ares is right in there somewhere with TH and Flavor also, real close ya know. I still might have to try one, just to see for myself.

Ya know something, I was NEVER this picky when I smoked. Is it age I wonder ?? I was never this persnickety. o_O

• Like Like x 3
  7. ricks

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    More PG will give you more throat hit. That's why I like my 80 to 95 PG liquids. What was your ratio??? I forgot.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Times have changed haven't they ? I had numerous multi speaker amp/cabinets over the years. The largest one was a Gibson 8 x12" that was rated at 400 watts. David Cassidy's lead guitar player rented it from me one night to play the Macon Coliseum. Finally worked my way down to a 1-12" 60W Peavey hybrid tube amp that does it all with every feature and stompbox you'd ever want built in.

• Like Like x 2
  9. 52anddone

I mix a 80 PG/20 VG all the time to do that very thing. I have pulled out ALL the stops to get more TH, and have been doing that for over a year now. Thanks though.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 52anddone

I don't remember what the Watt rating was on that Showman amp, but it had (2) 15" JB Lancing cloth speakers and a separate top that housed all the tubes and controls. Now all a person gets as far as speakers are some plastic things that are not as rich in sound as the cloth speakers, the plastic sounds a bit tinier to me, and not as much depth. Things sure have changed. David Cassidy's lead huh ?? That's some rare air to be involved in. I wasn't known near that much, at all really, I was just about 16 or 17 years old when I got my setup (I worked in a Gas Station for quite a while at $1.25 an hour to be able to buy that setup), and just about 19 or 20 when my parents sold it all (just before I got back from overseas) unbeknownst to me (boy was I mad, I had plans ya know for after the Army), but, that's life in the Big City as they say. That Peavey sounds very interesting though, I've heard of them, but never actually seen any of their stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Silver Dove

Silver Dove Full Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    I agree that it seems to me certain tanks handle certain flavors 'better' .. than others.. I dragged out the KF5 yesterday and it was like greeting an old friend - just lovely ! so as I actually do enjoy vaping unflavored I have now designated the Ares - my unflavored tank - so I can enjoy the ease of filling, the highly adjustable air flow, ease of building, its solid performance in temperature control mode and the capacity - and all is well in the world !

It is a funny thing isn't it how when smoking I do not remember flavor being important.. but vaping for a bit and then almost imperceptibly flavor chasing sneaks in.. unflavored keeps me grounded :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. 52anddone

Also adjusting my coil, 1-2mm above the air hole for flavor when I want that, and as high as I can get it for when I want TH (which is most of the time). Anybody got any other little tricks I might also use ??

• Like Like x 1
  13. ricks

Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    I'm using that MTL Fused Clapton wire and it's working great. It's kind of different from a single strand coil. It's hard to explain and I'm still experimenting with it. I have a 2mm 5 wrap coil of it placed very close to the air hole in the Ares currently.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Chodi

Chodi Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    I just finished reading the last 8 posts and I am amazed at you guys who can vape 80%pg. Maybe it's just me but if I vape high pg it just sucks the water out of my body and I become dehydrated very quickly even if I gulp water. They would have to put me on an IV while I was vaping. I guess it is a personal reaction to high pg. Just as an interesting aside yesterday I smoked part of my first cigarette in 2 years. I live in a country where you can get massive fines or even go to jail for up to 10 years for vaping outdoors. Yesterday I was in a situation outside where I bummed a cigarette and took about four puffs before I threw it away. I don't know how I ever smoked those things for 40 years. No taste and worse it tasted really bad. Vaping has spoiled me forever for cigarettes. I am all about flavor now. Not so concerned about th.

My Areas cleared customs over this weekend and should arrive by tomorrow.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Cirus

Cirus Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2014
    Texas
    Retired my Ares. Replaced it and the Berserker with the Cthulhu Hastur MTL RTA. Better in every way, for me.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Chodi

Sep 10, 2016
    Now you tell me. My Ares will probably arrive tomorrow. I took a hard look as that Hastur but I can't deal with a tank you have to drain every time you re-wick. That was a deal breaker for me.

• Like Like x 3
  17. ShaneR42

ShaneR42 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 5, 2016
    I wouldn't worry. You may love it. For every tank there are lovers and haters...you won't know which one you are until ya try.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. Cirus

Cirus Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 13, 2014
    Texas
    Well I kinda just found out. I've only had it two weeks and the extra inserts are on a slow boat from China, but even with too small an insert and too big an insert I like it more. When I made the Ares draw tight enough for my liking (two smallest holes) it caused condensation, which in turn caused noise and the need to wipe/drain. With the Hastur the AFC is wide open and the insert decides the draw. Extremely quiet and smooth, with no condensation. EDIT: I like a hot vape. If you don't, condensation as I just described may not be an issue.

I don't re-wick. Once a week I change coil and wick. I "drain" by vaping til it's dry. So it's not an issue really.

Good luck with the Ares.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jumpin' In...

Jumpin' In... Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Maui, Hawaii
    What country is that? (Will never visit there...) :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Chodi

Sep 10, 2016
    I am an American who retired early to Thailand (some 20 years ago). I had sold my company in the US and decided to move my family here since I had other business interests here. Until the vaping issue I had never really regretted the move. Now, I am down right angry about the situation but I've been here too long to consider leaving. My home is here, my grown family is here, even my dog is here. Thank God the dog doesn't vape or I would be in a lot of trouble.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1