Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Now you tell me. My Ares will probably arrive tomorrow. I took a hard look as that Hastur but I can't deal with a tank you have to drain every time you re-wick. That was a deal breaker for me.

I use a syringe with a sufficiently long needle to extract the juice when I want to re-coil or re-wick. It's simple and fast. Once you finish the rebuild, you just squirt the juice back in the tank. That works on any tank that allows needle access down to the deck or from the bottom fill hole to the top. Even my Kayfuns can be fully drained and refilled through the fill screw hole.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
52anddone,
ex cowboy smoker 45 years started with cig look a like with glowing end went to carto's then genny's with ss mesh still have all that stuff vaping ry4 and 555 no longer . Got into DIY.
The moved on to joyetech stuff tried all that the older stuff . Then when joyetech brought out the clr coilheads and various tanks to fit it found nirvana. Now the Ares which is very satisfying.
Thats how i vape but we are all different. ; )
Anyways
using 95%pg , real cig flavoring concentrate pg based at 1% and 5%vg ,12mg nic that is also pg based nothing else in the diy formula. One ohm kanthal coil not spaced.
Wattage is 12.5 up to 13 if set over 15 or so the vape becomes warmer and a slight burnt taste starts to appear because of the thinness of this e-liquid.
The flavoring (real cig) is suggested on ecx site to start at 1% and work up from there as listed.

As we know pg is a flavor carrier and vg creates vapor and smooths out a vape making it less harsh in the throat hit area.

What i have found is the higher the nic % coupled with the lower the
vg % will bring about a stronger throat hit.
Used to vape with nic at 18mg and started lowering it and found 12mg is doable, tried and went as low as 6mg nic but as nic % was dropped so was the throat hit.

The Mrs vapes menthol only with nic at 12mg menthol concentrate at 2%, pg at 90% and vg at 10% because she wanted a little more vapor. Mentioned she could get a lot more but she is happy so.
It's a trade off more throat hit less vapor or the other way around.

Hope this helps you somewhat as we are all different .

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Thanks Dieseler. When I first started I was using 30mg/ml store bought juice back in Aug of 2014. I slowly came down thru the years, and now found that I have to keep my Nic under 10mg/ml, but for me, 10mg/ml is a turning point. I get better TH from 10mg/ml on up than I do from 8mg/ml naturally, but, since Jan of 2015 I have had to keep it below 10mg/ml as I suffer from A-Fib, and too much Nic will trigger it for me (like 180 to 207 Bpm), so, that's why I have been using FA Flash (a TH enhancer) in all my mixes and I Know that it is a workaround, but what am I gonna do, plus, from my own testing of different Nic's, I have found ECX to have the Best TH out of them all. I look at ECX Nic as a dirty type of Nic (compared to other Nic's), It is not clear, it is not smooth, it has a slight smell (but not a floor cleaner type of smell), and also seems to oxidize sooner than the other Nic's I have tested, plus it will Kill the flavor of some of my Hangsen's tobacco flavorings (that is a weird one, admittedly) to the point that I no longer like the flavor at all. I might try using a 95% PG/5% VG mix next time though, just to see how I like it, Thanks for that.

I too have Joyetech's offerings, the Tron-S and also use the CLR 1Ω heads, but, I find that that setup mutes my flavor just a little compared to my other Atomizers like the BerSerKer, CV Hussar (Normal and Micro setup). The best Atomizers for TH and flavor, for me, are the Fev 3 & 4, TaiFun GT-V2, Cthulhu V2 (but that one seeps), and the KayFun V2L, V2L+, all with either KGD or Rayon (I find Rayon to transfer more TH than KGD does, but is harder for me to work with, for some reason).

My preferred is a Menthol/Mint DIY mix, at 1.5% Menthol and 1% INW Mint with 1.75% FA Flash in a 9% ECX Nic/80 PG/20 VG solution. The Menthol is home made with 66% Crushed Menthol Crystals and 34% ED PG and really helps with the TH end of it (it's also Very good at clearing out the Sinuses), I say that because after 52 years of smoking Cigarettes, Cigar's, and Pipe's my Sinuses have gotten rather dry, so the Menthol really helps moisten them up.

I too like a cool vape (in the neighborhood of 140 Heat Flux), versus a warm one. I had tested a Spaced versus a Contact coil well over a year ago, and found better flavor with a Spaced coil, plus, the coils lasted longer between dry burns, but I didn't notice any difference in TH between the 2 different coil configurations. I noticed more difference in coil height than coil configuration as far as TH went, but maybe I should try that little experiment again, just to be sure.

For myself, the vapor amount is irrelevant, as long as I see similar amounts to what I did when smoking Cigarettes (which compared to vaping is not much at all really).

So, I will try a 90% or 95% PG solution, and a contact coil. I might also try your "Real Cig" concentrate to see what that does for TH and flavor (I will mix a small batch in with my ECX Unflavored DIY mix). I usually buy my flavorings from Bull City (that's where I get my Hangsen's from), but will try it from EcigExpress this time.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I just ordered "Real Cig" and "Cigar Flavor" both by Flavors Express from ECX, and I have already made up 200ml of 90 PG/10 VG. I'll make up a Contact coil of 28g Kanthal and 6 wraps, and I need to clean out a New EHpro V2L then I'll be all set.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
52anddone,
ex cowboy smoker 45 years started with cig look a like with glowing end went to carto's then genny's with ss mesh still have all that stuff vaping ry4 and 555 no longer . Got into DIY.
The moved on to joyetech stuff tried all that the older stuff . Then when joyetech brought out the clr coilheads and various tanks to fit it found nirvana. Now the Ares which is very satisfying.
Thats how i vape but we are all different. ; )
Anyways
using 95%pg , real cig flavoring concentrate pg based at 1% and 5%vg ,12mg nic that is also pg based nothing else in the diy formula. One ohm kanthal coil not spaced.
Wattage is 12.5 up to 13 if set over 15 or so the vape becomes warmer and a slight burnt taste starts to appear because of the thinness of this e-liquid.
The flavoring (real cig) is suggested on ecx site to start at 1% and work up from there as listed.

As we know pg is a flavor carrier and vg creates vapor and smooths out a vape making it less harsh in the throat hit area.

What i have found is the higher the nic % coupled with the lower the
vg % will bring about a stronger throat hit.
Used to vape with nic at 18mg and started lowering it and found 12mg is doable, tried and went as low as 6mg nic but as nic % was dropped so was the throat hit.

The Mrs vapes menthol only with nic at 12mg menthol concentrate at 2%, pg at 90% and vg at 10% because she wanted a little more vapor. Mentioned she could get a lot more but she is happy so.
It's a trade off more throat hit less vapor or the other way around.

Hope this helps you somewhat as we are all different .

I almost fell off my chair laughing (not at you) reading your post. If I vaped 95% PG I would go straight to ICU. High PG just sucks the water out of me and leaves me totally dehydrated even if I gulp water. I keep my PG at 20-30%. I guess I am just very sensitive to PG.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I just ordered "Real Cig" and "Cigar Flavor" both by Flavors Express from ECX, and I have already made up 200ml of 90 PG/10 VG. I'll make up a Contact coil of 28g Kanthal and 6 wraps, and I need to clean out a New EHpro V2L then I'll be all set.

Have carved a few tobacco pipes out of briarwood and made a shaving brush with the wood 3 nuns was all i used in them.
Anyways i hope you can find that throat hit and perhaps you may or may not like the flavoring .Wishing you well.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
I almost fell off my chair laughing (not at you) reading your post. If I vaped 95% PG I would go straight to ICU. High PG just sucks the water out of me and leaves me totally dehydrated even if I gulp water. I keep my PG at 20-30%. I guess I am just very sensitive to PG.
That is understandable we are all different.
For me always have a bottle of water even in short car trips. In spring and summer cutting the grass on the rider have a bottle in the holder.
Its funny well not really how many of us have effects one way or another see VG congests me anything over 10% and flem is a constant problem .

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
YES, VG also congests me, and makes my chest feel tight as well. I too have read about PG doing that to folks Chodi, many times, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on me. My only problem is where I live now, Minnesota (Damm it's Cold up here). I moved up here from Arizona (lived there almost 50 years) about 11 years ago and have been in a fight with my Sinuses ever since, so bad that it will wake me up at night from throat being so full that I can't breath, but PG, not a problem. Go Figure. :confused:

I still would like a good Tobacco to use, maybe this will be it, I hope. As far as TH goes, I always inhaled my Cigars, just like cigarettes, so TH is always on my mind. Where I am at now is passable, but more is something I will always be looking for, flavor is secondary to me, though I will not turn my back on it, if I can get it too.:thumb:

I'll try each on it's own, then try and mix both (the Real Cig & Cigar Flavor) in some concoction. That's my plan as of now, so guess I will see what happens. Thanks for all the tips Dieseler, I have only been in this vaping game for 3+ years now, so don't even come close to thinking that I know it all (that's for sure) and will take any logical input from just about anyone at this point in time, as I feel I am close to the finish but still looking for that additional TH "Punch" (for lack of a better word). I read folks post about their TH "Thump in the back of their throat" which I have never gotten in all this time vaping, I'm starting to think that the "Thump" they are talking about is no more than a "Buzz Word", or the best way that they can explain what they are experiencing, so maybe I am taking what they are saying a bit to literally (I tend to take things Literal most of the time), but that's what I am still looking for (if it exists).

BTW, having a bottle of Gatorade/Pop/ even water (yuk) in my hand has been a mainstay for me ever since my early days living in the Arizona Desert (Sonora country), and no change in that aspect as I started vaping. Maybe the nerve endings in the back of my throat are muted (or down right dead for that matter, from 52 years of Camel's, PallMall's, Chesterfields, Lucky Strike's and Cigars) and that is why I don't feel what others do, who knows. o_O

Edit; Something I just thought of, is my ECX Nic I have in a 50/50 mix, not a PG mix. When I first bought it some time ago, I ordered the wrong mix (I had wanted it in a PG mix but checked the wrong box without thinking) by mistake. That was back in 2015 I think, and have a liter of it to go thru. Next order I will get a liter of PG mix for sure. :thumbs:

Last edited:

Kusie

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2017
Germany
The only type of tobacco liquids I can accept are NETs. Any flavor based "tobacco liquid" I tried was disgusting crap. There are marvelous natural tobacco extracts out there that are really satisfying for ex smokers and especially when exhaled though the nose have a cigar/cigarette like sensation. I always have several NET extracts here that I can mix, mostly Burley, Oriental and Viginia and maybe add a drop of Kentucky for a light smokyness.
Head over to the NET section for more info.
K.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
My personal recipe for 100ml of finished e-liquid using ecig calculator .

PG Based Nicotine 100mg cut down to 12mg = 12ML
Base Target PG 94% = 82ML
Base Target VG 6% = 4.5 ML
Base Target 1.5 % "Real Cig Flavoring" VG Based = 1.5 ml

Usually make large batches but this is same only broken down to a 100ml batch, the nicotine i use is 100mg strength broken down to 12mg strength it was cheaper when bought at that strength some years back and bought lifetime supply, the PG and VG are bought by the gallon as wife also vapes albeit menthol only.
Now if anyone tries the flavoring and does not like it that is normal as we are all different.

Besides this recipe i recently started vaping with no flavoring and enjoy it quite a bit.
Talked about earlier some of the pipes and shaving brush handle and assembled i carved from briarwood which is the root of the heath tree and impervious to fire dunhill pipes made from it as well .

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I mentioned it in the Berserker but I think it is worth mentioning here. The Vandy Vape SS316 MTL Fused wire is an excellent performer. It gives excellent flavour, works very well in TC and is fine enough that it heats very fast. I encourage anyone to try it.

Chodi

ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2016
I mentioned it in the Berserker but I think it is worth mentioning here. The Vandy Vape SS316 MTL Fused wire is an excellent performer. It gives excellent flavour, works very well in TC and is fine enough that it heats very fast. I encourage anyone to try it.

I have tried ordering that from the usual China sources more than once and had my order cancelled for lack of stock. I can't ever seem to find anyone that actually has it in stock for sale. Where did you buy that?

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Anyone have any Tobacco recipes you want to share? I'm wanting to find one or two that I can make. I was a Marlboro Red smoker and the liquids I was buying were Marlboro type flavors. Some are good but most tasted like crap.

Know what you mean similar did the cowboy scene for more years than care to mention along with pipes and cigars. Many Cig flavoring always seem to have a after taste that did not care for. The recipe posted may not be to everyones liking for sure as we are all different .
The real cig flavoring is concentrated its said on site to start off around 1% and work up from there.
Less is good in most cases.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Know what you mean similar did the cowboy scene for more years than care to mention along with pipes and cigars. Many Cig flavoring always seem to have a after taste that did not care for. The recipe posted may not be to everyones liking for sure as we are all different .
The real cig flavoring is concentrated its said on site to start off around 1% and work up from there.
Less is good in most cases.
The liquids I bought and never tasted like cigarettes. It's hard to describe. They just tasted great.

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
I have tried ordering that from the usual China sources more than once and had my order cancelled for lack of stock. I can't ever seem to find anyone that actually has it in stock for sale. Where did you buy that?

I tried the vandyvape superfine MTL wire on a whim, the SS version. This stuff is WAY more flavorful than simple round wire. The coils are easy to build and install in the Ares, and I am a noob builder.

I just bought more of the SS, and a spool of the ni80 off EBAY, with free shipping (@5days). They were a better value than the site i bought from originally.

Don't see myself going back to round wire anytime soon.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
I tried the vandyvape superfine MTL wire on a whim, the SS version. This stuff is WAY more flavorful than simple round wire. The coils are easy to build and install in the Ares, and I am a noob builder.

I just bought more of the SS, and a spool of the ni80 off EBAY, with free shipping (@5days). They were a better value than the site i bought from originally.

Don't see myself going back to round wire anytime soon.
Just curious - how many watts are you running on the SS superfine wire?

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Never tried vaping with no flavor in recipe but tried it lately and like it, the 100mg nicotine i had bought lifetime supply for Mrs and i was from rts which is clear as it was originally just took out some from freezer to make another flavorless batch.

Last night cracked ares tank sitting on bathroom sink while cleaning another tank did not notice till this morning when went to fill it and saw the vertical long crack that could feel with finger nail.
Went and pulled out the darker spare tank and then used the innokin advertising rubber ring that came in package for better protection put them on the other ones also .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread