Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I just wipe it down well after filling and whenever I need to if it's gone upside down in my purse or whatever. I get almost no leakage frankly, sometimes a bit of condensation and not much else. Hopefully others will have better suggestions than mine (which I don't find to be much of a pain, but I had one top cap that was loose that somehow magically got better as I used it, and the other one remains bone dry. Wish I could help more, good luck.

Anna

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
Anyone got a fix for the little bit of seepage that I get from the top cap?

Really enjoying the ares, but it's just annoying me! [emoji38]
I to get some leaking from the top (along with leaking from the bottom when it is laid on the side). It is pretty much a design flaw. They tried to make it as easy to use as possible for a rebuildable so we have the sliding top fill. It is a weak point that is prone to leaking if not perfectly aligned, which some are obviously not. Some type of screw top is more secure but a bit more hassle.

It appears they are coming out with a tweaked out version with a better top fill seal and a tighter air intake ring, which doesn't do a whole lot for those of us with issues with the current model.

• Informative
Reactions: stols001

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
My top cap has been fine, but I do get some leaking from the air holes when laid on it's side. I also get a fair amount of condensation on the bottom of my Ares. I am wondering if the new versions with the tighter airflow ring will eliminate that condensation and leaking? I love the flavor from my Ares. That's why I stick with it despite these annoyances.

• Optimistic

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
My experience with the Ares now after several months its top cap on one seeped juice put aside the others were fine. Seepage at first from airholes solved when i stuffed more cotton in channels and made sure bottom was screwed on tight.

Its a good tank but could be improved in personal opinion if the wick channels were not so big why so darn big taking up lots of cotton to build?
Have been vaping the ego mega's for a very long time and have to honestly say mega tanks produce better flavor for me easy to tell as i only vape 1 type of diy e-liquid for years now.
Also the wick needs replacing more often in the Ares compared to mega tank which caught me by surprise.

It may not be fair to compare the 2 but these are just my thoughts only, personally think large wick channels favor the high VG user which is opposite of what i mix as anything over 7% vg does not agree with me.

Have heard the newer color ares tanks now out have a thicker fill seal , would have been nice if they made it originally with a screw top instead .

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So weird. I always feel like I'm underwicking my Areses, and they don't leak at ALL. I mean, yea, okay the channels are somewhat large, but I almost never fill them completely. I use rayon but... IDK.

There did seem to be some early variances, I've heard, top cap moves, leaks, collects condensation and also leaks below and I have had none of that well, my first top cap moved a bit but it never does anymore.

I would agree, probably, that there was some inconsistencies early on with this tank. My second is solid as a brick, and I've dropped it (obviously). Guess I got lucky but I don't feel the need to stuff the channels "full" and it hasn't been necessary, either.

Anna

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
So weird. I always feel like I'm underwicking my Areses, and they don't leak at ALL. I mean, yea, okay the channels are somewhat large, but I almost never fill them completely. I use rayon but... IDK.

There did seem to be some early variances, I've heard, top cap moves, leaks, collects condensation and also leaks below and I have had none of that well, my first top cap moved a bit but it never does anymore.

I would agree, probably, that there was some inconsistencies early on with this tank. My second is solid as a brick, and I've dropped it (obviously). Guess I got lucky but I don't feel the need to stuff the channels "full" and it hasn't been necessary, either.

Anna
I agree- I don't think the channels could have anything to do with leaking. Seems it would only allow flow from one internal section to another, and not really have any influence on the external seals. I suppose underwicking with high pg could theoretically allow too much juice onto the deck, but with this style deck, I've never even been concerned with filling up the channel with wick, and it seems extremely forgiving regarding wicking. I'd quit using mine a while back (for other reasons), but have been building it and setting up for my son using high pg, who's trying to get off Juul. Small coil, little wick, or large coil, a lot of wick, cotton or rayon, they've all been fine. Must've been tightening the bottom that did the trick.

• Agree

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA

I would agree, probably, that there was some inconsistencies early on with this tank.

Anna
I have a very recent model and I can assure you it is more then just some early inconsistencies. My top has definite leakage. I also noticed it is fairly easily bumped out of center as it doesn't appear to click into place.

It is simply a compromised design decision. They could have gone with a reliable screw on top or, for convenience a cool sliding design that is inherently prone to more problems. As any competent engineer will tell you, when you choose convenience over reliability it pretty much will always come back to bite you.

it remains to be seen if the new tweak will solve the problem, and of course how do you know if you are getting the new tweak or old stock.

fitchy

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Haverhill, UNITED KINGDOM
Wow so hard to add photos on here, was going to post difference between my two ares, one 2ml with extension kit added, and the other 4 ml original... main difference is the room around the bottom of the deck is less on extended version.... flavour from the original 4ml seems to be better too....

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
I got one of the new Ares in Rainbow a couple of weeks ago. I finally set it up yesterday when one of my favorite juices arrived. I can report that the new Ares seems much tighter than my original Ares. I cannot draw on it when the airflow is totally closed. I also have not gotten any seepage on the bottom of the tank so far. I like the improvements! (If only I had let my juice steep a couple of weeks it would be perfect).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
What did you use to clean it? You may need to soak in everclear or vodka overnight and you may need to change your O-rings as sometimes they will absorb the taste of a new juice. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner (and lets face it many folks don't) it might be of use in this situation.

If your tank is anything besides glass, there are certain juices that will sort of permeate ultem or other type tanks, in which case, I'd soak that thing submerged for a long time and you may still have to replace it, depending on the juice.

But, try the 0 rings first after completely submerging in alcohol in a pinch I guess you could use rubbing alcohol too, although I would rinse and clean it SUPER thoroughly thereafter, as you don't want any rubbing alcohol residue.

Good luck, I'd start with a thorough 24 hour bath, replace the orings and then see how you do.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you? And what was this juice and if you plan to keep it high on the vaping agenda, I'd reserve a tank specifically for it, etc.

Anna

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I have a problem I cleaned my tank several times already and I tried putting a different juice, but i could still taste the old juice. Any tips please on how to get rid of the old juice taste.
Sounds like a good excuse to get another tank!;)
I had one that I was never able to rid of bakery flavors. But I didn't try everything, just got tired of trying.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've been switching back and forth between the Beserker, Ares, and Siren 2, and my old Kayfun V2. I'm partial to the Beserker, but both the others are close in the race. I'm not sure I trust the slide cap on the Ares, but it hasn't leaked on me yet with 50/50 juices. For me to pick a tank for an ADV it has to be leak free because I pocket carry when I'm out.

All three are high flavor tanks, IMO.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
What did you use to clean it? You may need to soak in everclear or vodka overnight and you may need to change your O-rings as sometimes they will absorb the taste of a new juice. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner (and lets face it many folks don't) it might be of use in this situation.

If your tank is anything besides glass, there are certain juices that will sort of permeate ultem or other type tanks, in which case, I'd soak that thing submerged for a long time and you may still have to replace it, depending on the juice.

But, try the 0 rings first after completely submerging in alcohol in a pinch I guess you could use rubbing alcohol too, although I would rinse and clean it SUPER thoroughly thereafter, as you don't want any rubbing alcohol residue.

Good luck, I'd start with a thorough 24 hour bath, replace the orings and then see how you do.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you? And what was this juice and if you plan to keep it high on the vaping agenda, I'd reserve a tank specifically for it, etc.

Anna

I will try vodka, thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread