Ask IMAGINE & S_Steve - Thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
SW Ohio
Awsum, I have 5 Spinners and 2 of them got warm the last time I charged them. I have two new chargers and have used one of them on all of the Spinners. Three of them charged without getting warm. I'll try charging one that got warm with the other new charger which I haven't used yet, just to rule out a charger problem. If it gets warm again then I'll know it's the battery.

This is the first time I've ever had a battery get warm while charging and don't want to take the chance of using a battery that isn't safe. If they were both old batteries I would just dispose of them, but I just got one them the end of May. I thought I'd check it out before disposing of a new battery. I guess I could check with SI to see if that's covered under the warranty.

Thanks for your help, Awsum. I appreciate it. :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I've had bigger batteries, 18350s and 18650s get slightly warm while charging, but never a Spinner or X2. Be cautious about charging them until Steve or Imagine post something. It may be a good idea to not use them in the mean time, but charging in a metal container, like a pot, would stop anything too bad from happening. Maybe have to pot on a heat resistant surface as well, just to be extra safe.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Marlou, if it's still under the 90 day warranty, I would open a ticket and get it swapped out, even if it works. Sounds like there's something wonky inside the battery (mild shorts, maybe?). If it's slightly beyond the warranty period, I hope they can still help you out - with any kind of defect inside, they'll for sure die way before their expected life cycle.

marlou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
SW Ohio
Steve Awsum and Cindy

After reading your posts and thinking about it, this is what I am doing:

I have never had a battery get even warm before when charging, and think it's odd that all of a sudden two did. So I charged the new battery, using a brand new Spinner charger and a different wall adapter. It stayed cool.

I then used the old battery to deplete its charge and charged it. It also stayed cool.

It could be the first charger I used is malfunctioning. I'm going to use the new battery and recharge it -- then use the old battery and recharge it. I'll continue to keep an eye on them while they charge and I'm charging them in a metal pot. If they stay cool through the second charging I'll feel safe continuing to use them, but will still keep watch when I charge them.

I'm surprised the old Spinner still works. I don't remember when I bought it but it's pretty old. SI's batteries hold up well. I still have some of their UNsealed stick batts that are still going strong.

Thanks to you guys for helping me!!! Putting together the info and advice from each of you helped me decide on a plan.and how to check the batteries out as safely as possible. A happy smile for each of you!!! :) :) :)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I don't know if current limiting is built into the Spinner charge circuit or not, but would assume, and you know what that can do, that it is. It is possible the charge is going bad and the only way to find out would be to charge another battery on it and see if that one gets hot. A different battery than the first ones of course. If you do that, I'd suggest the pot method of charging for extra safety.

marlou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
SW Ohio
Awsum, I have kept the original charger in case I decide to try that. Having both batteries stay cool on a different charger isn't conclusive proof, but if a different battery got warm/hot using the original charger that would be pretty conclusive.

I'm not that knowledgeable about batteries and have just picked up bits and pieces of info from ECF, but I do know you need to use them in a safe manner. I've had batteries not perform as well as they should or die an early death, but this is the first time I've had one act 'funky' in any way. And I figure 'funky' can mean something's wrong. lol

Hi guys. A couple days ago I noticed that the T3 I always use is leaking a little bit, where the bottom of the clear plastic tank meets the lower metal part (above the head). I went to use my backup T3 but somehow, even though it hasn't moved, just been sitting in my cabinet, the mouth piece has a big crack in it.

SO, I had to put a thin strip of duct tape on the leaky one until I can get something else. I went to order a new T3 and they're out of stock. Will they be back any time soon, or do I have to order a mini T3 in its stead? I would just go on and get the mini if it was half the price of the big one, but since it's only 50 cents cheaper I figured I should check first. I can use the duct taped one for now but it ain't so classy looking.

Thanks!

marlou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
SW Ohio
Hi guys. A couple days ago I noticed that the T3 I always use is leaking a little bit, where the bottom of the clear plastic tank meets the lower metal part (above the head). I went to use my backup T3 but somehow, even though it hasn't moved, just been sitting in my cabinet, the mouth piece has a big crack in it.

SO, I had to put a thin strip of duct tape on the leaky one until I can get something else. I went to order a new T3 and they're out of stock. Will they be back any time soon, or do I have to order a mini T3 in its stead? I would just go on and get the mini if it was half the price of the big one, but since it's only 50 cents cheaper I figured I should check first. I can use the duct taped one for now but it ain't so classy looking.

Thanks!

Hi, velocicracker! I can't tell you when the T3s will be in stock but I'm sure Steve or Imagine will be along soon to let you know when more are expected. I can tell you why the mini T3 isn't half the price of the T3 though. They have the same base and top, which makes up most of the cost. The only difference between the two is a small amount of plastic in the length of the tank. I use the minis and they work great. Both use the same replacement coil, so if you have any spares they will work in a mini if you decide to try one. :)

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Steve Or Imagine,

When are y'all gonna get iClears back in? I am in need of a couple of new tanks. I am rocking my new mvp but I haven't quite mastered not dropping it yet. Messed up both of my new tanks!:facepalm: Thank y'all so much for everything y'all do for us!

Celtic

Been a while :p When are ya'll going to be getting any of the x2 clearomizers back in?

HellOOOooooooOOOOOO?

It is now Q4 of 2014. I don't believe SI has offered any restock of the T3-type clearos all year.

Does Smokeless Image even intend to restock the T3 and Mini T3 Clearos, or are you guys just hoping to sell off as much of the rest of your inventory as you have left before closing the doors for good??!!

Gormy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2011
Hollywood, MD
HellOOOooooooOOOOOO?

It is now Q4 of 2014. I don't believe SI has offered any restock of the T3-type clearos all year.

Does Smokeless Image even intend to restock the T3 and Mini T3 Clearos, or are you guys just hoping to sell off as much of the rest of your inventory as you have left before closing the doors for good??!!

I haven't needed to get any replacements in forever. They are closing? Hopefully not... =/ Just recommended a new customer to purchase from them ugh.

Just posted this in another thread

Hey Guys, I know we have been having issues with inventory numbers but I can assure you that we are not going out. We currently have a boat load of clearos and heads for all of our manufacturers. We had some issues getting our orders through but they are on the way and we are not planning on going anywhere. Sorry for the radio silence but I hate coming on here without any info to give you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread