Status
Not open for further replies.

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
Since Perfumers Apprentice was brought up by Kushka, I have a question about this supplier. I read the statement that is present on the Welcome to the Flavor Apprentice page....it reads as this:
The worlds of Flavor and Fragrance are closely intertwined,
and very often the study of one leads to interest in the other!

In our Flavor department you will find Flavors that are ready to use in many applications such as:
Baking
Candy-Making
Cosmetics
and many other applications that have fun with flavors!

The flavors that we sell are "food-safe", and conform to current Food Industry standards.
There is no Diacetyl in any of our flavors!

The first line stating that one type is intertwined with the other. The flavors are ready to use anywhere from baking to cosmetics. I'm not to sure exactly what food safe means!! and conform to current F.I. standards. I'm guessing they are not USP food grade or they would probably state that.
My question (because I am confused about it) is this. Are these flavors being made with both perfume and food flavors? very curious about this as every time I open a bottle from P.A. I get a very strong perfume smell. Kinda like a cosmetic case that has had perfume in it. Does anyone know and if so could you provide some data please. also; is it OK to vape a perfume grade flavor? or even half perfume grade and half food grade?
I have the Vanilla bean ice cream and a few others from P.A. and getting past the perfume smell the flavors are pretty good, but I do need to leave the bottles sit for quite some time before the perfume smell goes away...DAYS
Anything would be great thanks

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Since Perfumers Apprentice was brought up by Kushka, I have a question about this supplier. I read the statement that is present on the Welcome to the Flavor Apprentice page....it reads as this:

The first line stating that one type is intertwined with the other. The flavors are ready to use anywhere from baking to cosmetics. I'm not to sure exactly what food safe means!! and conform to current F.I. standards. I'm guessing they are not USP food grade or they would probably state that.
My question (because I am confused about it) is this. Are these flavors being made with both perfume and food flavors? very curious about this as every time I open a bottle from P.A. I get a very strong perfume smell. Kinda like a cosmetic case that has had perfume in it. Does anyone know and if so could you provide some data please. also; is it OK to vape a perfume grade flavor? or even half perfume grade and half food grade?
I have the Vanilla bean ice cream and a few others from P.A. and getting past the perfume smell the flavors are pretty good, but I do need to leave the bottles sit for quite some time before the perfume smell goes away...DAYS
Anything would be great thanks

I have not noticed anything especially 'pefumie' about PA's flavors - but if you have any questions why don't you ask the owner? She publishes her phone number on the homepage: Linda Andrews (831) 704-7342 .

I have never spoken to her - but have read postings from others who have and they say she is very friendly.

I also noticed her site did say food grade ie:
"All the flavors in this section are Food Grade - Please do not confuse these flavors with items in our Perfumery Section, which are not used in Food"

Last edited:

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
I have not noticed anything especially 'pefumie' about PA's flavors - but if you have any questions why don't you ask the owner? She publishes her phone number on the homepage: Linda Andrews (831) 704-7342 .

I have never spoken to her - but have read postings from others who have and they say she is very friendly.

I also noticed her site did say food grade ie:
"All the flavors in this section are Food Grade - Please do not confuse these flavors with items in our Perfumery Section, which are not used in Food"

I have spoken with Linda a few times. If there was something she was doing that she didn't want me to know...do you think she would tell me?
I smell perfume...you say you don't, Perfumers Apprentice.....

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
You will probably find that in States that do not allow food production from the home, as long as separate facilities are built then there is no problem. For example if you are home baking cakes you would need to build a new kitchen for that purpose, separate from the house kitchen.

It is impossible to stop people 'working from home' in the food business because many 'live above the shop'. A baker has every right to live in the same building as the production facility, and the same goes for any food production. As long as the facilities are separate and duplicated, it will pass, because otherwise it is impossible to stop or more important, to police. Laws that are impossible to enforce are no use.

So if an e-liquid producer or flavor producer has separate rooms for their work, it will pass a food production inspection.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
If I as a customer asks to see certification and am refused, then I take my business elsewhere. Vaping is pretty new to us all and we don't know the long term effects, but we DO know that certain things have already been scientifically proven safe or unsafe. As a consumer, I have the right to know if someone I am dealing with is in fact using the safest possible ingredients. Most business owners would be happy to provide that proof.

SimpleSins

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2010
SW Iowa
If I as a customer asks to see certification and am refused, then I take my business elsewhere. Vaping is pretty new to us all and we don't know the long term effects, but we DO know that certain things have already been scientifically proven safe or unsafe. As a consumer, I have the right to know if someone I am dealing with is in fact using the safest possible ingredients. Most business owners would be happy to provide that proof.

Good thing you like DIY and have a supplier who you trust, because I suspect the first time you question anyone, you would be politely shown the door and immediately go onto a black list whereupon everyone would exercise their right to refuse service and you would be <woh-woh sad trombone sound>SOL as to getting juice or flavoring agents.

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
Good thing you like DIY and have a supplier who you trust, because I suspect the first time you question anyone, you would be politely shown the door and immediately go onto a black list whereupon everyone would exercise their right to refuse service and you would be <woh-woh sad trombone sound>SOL as to getting juice or flavoring agents.

LOL Sins, that is precicely why I DIY and only use specific suppliers...the ones who ARE happy to supply their certifications :)

GiMante

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
So Cal
www.VaperSociety.com
LOL Sins, that is precicely why I DIY and only use specific suppliers...the ones who ARE happy to supply their certifications :)

+1^

There are suppliers that welcome questions and give honest answers. The ones who don't........well, who wants to deal with them anyway??

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
my concern in e-cig is the PIF -- where opened bottles of juice are passed on to someone else. Who knows what someone has done to an open bottle. We all hope that no one would contaminate a bottle of juice, but not everyone keeps a clean home or even washed hands, tables, or instruments used while vaping.

I've thought of that too Tweazee, not so much as in purposely putting something in a bottle but bacterial contamination. I haven't done much in PIF but I did get a couple of whistle tips from a kind person. I just washed them with a dish soap and bleash solution.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Seabrook, DIY'ing is starting to appeal to me more and more. Would you mind, after I read much more of course, if I ask you questions from time to time? Hey, I'm not too far from you either :) (Temecula Area)

GiMante, it would be a pleasure to help you out as a new new DIYer. However, the best place to ask is the DIY forum. I learned everything I know from them and am still learning. Any Q you have will be answered by some really super nice ppl. DIYing is so much fun. Any flavor you want right at your fingertips. I just mixed up four mixes today: Apple Pie, Dutch Chocolate Mint, Toasted Almond and Raspberry Cheesecake -- and I am in total bliss. You'll think you died and went to Willie Wonka's, LOL. And the Capella's Chocolate Almond tastes just like an Almond Joy candy bar. I had to make other juices today to tear myself away from it -- it was either that or get therapy, LOL.

kushka

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2010
Marietta, GA
Id like to know what suppliers you use since I have no idea who does and does not have the proper certificates.

Also - What certificates? What they suppose to have? And from whom? My sister-in-law has a bakery . She also use to sales online (I believe she stopped shipping a couple of years ago - too much hassle) - I don't believe she needed any certificates to sale online.

deadheadharry

Aug 19, 2010
USA
The government and licensing is nothing more than another racket for the failing state. Again, we have a forum here, with people who are active and looking for the best of the best. Openly state who is kind, informative and providing good services and products and again, openly state who is doing the opposite. The ones who do good, get the money and the bad go out the window. Making stuff in your home isn't any less dangerous than in a "facility"... The FDA is just another bureaucratic hunk of garbage that does no good for you and I and is only good at keeping monopolies afloat. Businesses don't stay open by providing bad products to their customers... People want safe food and safe products, so the market will supply such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread