Attack of the (Kayfun V5) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketRonnieRadox

Sep 29, 2015
Hey Dubminer

I have no idea which clone it is but it's good. Well made no leaks and works as expected except for the flavour issue.

I have been using the same could and wick with the v4 and lite and get good flavour so not sure why this is not the case for the v5

I do have some 28 wore but not 29.

I will try your suggestion and report back.

Just drained it down for inspection so will do that part first.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Well I have had a clone for a week now I am disappointed with the flavour.

Everyone suggests the flavour is great but I keep getting tasteless or slightly dry hits after re wicking an number of ways and ensuring the Cotton bites the juice holes.

I have been using a v4 and lite for a year so no stranger to wicking.

I am using kanthal A1 32 AWG 7 wraps 3mm and hitting 1.6 ohms

Getting the bubbles as expected when opening the jfc.

Next move is strip it down and inspect but any suggestions welcome as feeling frustrated
Wicking a K5 is like an rda to me. Through the coil, cut it on either side even with the top oring, curl it under & stuff it in the wells. Open the juice flow 2 full turns. You probably need a bit more wick in the juice wells. Kissing the deck is not needed.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Wicking a K5 is like an rda to me. Through the coil, cut it on either side even with the top oring, curl it under & stuff it in the wells. Open the juice flow 2 full turns. You probably need a bit more wick in the juice wells. Kissing the deck is not needed.
Exactly how i wick. No idea what kissing the deck is? Do you mean not filling the wells?

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I own a SJMY Kayfun 5... while it is a very good build and reviews indicating that there is only little to no difference in quality versus the authentic one, I found that the Kayfun 5 leaks a lot when I forget to close the juice flow and has it sitting side way... it will leaks through the AFC.

I vape a lot on my bed before sleep, so sometimes I would just put it on the bed in sleep position and it will leaks.

I am going back to my Tobecco Hurricane so far. Hurricane has no leak whatsoever, even when I was on a plane and didn't turn it upside down when take off and landing, the hurricane just won't leak. It also didn't gobble the juice as fast as Kayfun 5

@Phassat , I just got 6 of them. I don't know if the SJMY is better than the other clones, I more went with the quality, I felt, of the vendor. I lubed the o-rings and "generally" remember to close the juice control.

Anyway, a good while ago on other mod/topper set-ups, I found that using my souvenir coffee mugs to store set-ups really helped with sideways leaking. I put a piece of paper towel in the bottom just for noise, but I have coffee mugs in a lot of spots, my nightstand included.

Hope helps

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Exactly how i wick. No idea what kissing the deck is? Do you mean not filling the wells?
Just touching the deck. It's ok to use more than in a +v2. I didn't get the v4 at all, so can't compare there. The juice flow works differently on the K5. I'm using 28g stainless, 9-10 wraps, on 2.5, about 1.2. I open my juice flow 2 to 2 1/2 turns. More than that & it gets too close to trying to unscrew the base for my comfort. Stainless provides get flavor. Very clean tasting.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
@Phassat , I just got 6 of them. I don't know if the SJMY is better than the other clones, I more went with the quality, I felt, of the vendor. I lubed the o-rings and "generally" remember to close the juice control.

Anyway, a good while ago on other mod/topper set-ups, I found that using my souvenir coffee mugs to store set-ups really helped with sideways leaking. I put a piece of paper towel in the bottom just for noise, but I have coffee mugs in a lot of spots, my nightstand included.

Hope helps
That's a great idea!

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Just touching the deck. It's ok to use more than in a +v2. I didn't get the v4 at all, so can't compare there. The juice flow works differently on the K5. I'm using 28g stainless, 9-10 wraps, on 2.5, about 1.2. I open my juice flow 2 to 2 1/2 turns. More than that & it gets too close to trying to unscrew the base for my comfort. Stainless provides get flavor. Very clean tasting.

I have 3 V4s and 2 2Lite+s. You wick em both exactly the same, just wick through the coil, trim them so they just sit on the deck. It was one of the easiest things to wick ever. I think I wicked my V5 just about the same as well. Just trimmed it so it touched the bottom of the wells and then fanned it out to make sure it was on top of both juice holes. Still have the same wick and coil I put in it when I got it last month hehe. Still working great as usual!

I just stick to the same coils I was using in my mechs. 26ga 6/7 wraps @ 2.5mm comes out to about .8 ohms. I have the JFC opened with about 3 1/2 turns, no wobble yet. If I do it at 2 like Svoemesto says too, sometimes my 60/40 VG juice won't keep up wicking because I tend to chain vape constantly especially when Im at work by myself and I can get away with it in the office.

Reactions: Kenna

Phassat

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2014
Planet Earth

Hope helps

@Frenchfry1942 Hi, thanks for the idea. It might work but I doubt that I can change my habit into putting my mods in upright position every time.

On the leak point, does it confirm that the mod (even the authentic) will leaks if it is being kept sideways? I was trying to figure out if it was me that wick it not in a right way or the clone itself is not good so it leaks. However, if it is the same case as everybody else including authentic owner, then the only way around it is to put it upright every time.

When watching TV and vaping, I'd like to put it on top of my couch or stomach and it would be in sideway position as the surface would not let the mod to sit upright.... only when working in front of my laptop on a table, then I would always have it upright.

Reactions: Kenna

Cumulo Vapus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2016
Ok thanks guys will try 28 ga wire today and if I still have an issue its time to strip and clean.

I wonder if my issue of bad taste could be from machine oil ?

How many mm does your coil sit above the air hole?

Ive heard the coil placement can affect taste and flavour…usually, the closer the coil is to the air hole, the more intense the flavour, the higher its raised from the air hole, the greater the throat hit….usual advice is to keep it about 2mm above the air hole.

RocketRonnieRadox

Sep 29, 2015
OK V5 now cleaned with isopropyl and washed in warm water, re assembled, used .2mm kanthal 2.5mm ID wrap with 7 turns giving 1.3 ohms and there is an improvment but its still not on par with the V4 / Lite flavour.

At least now there doesnt seem to be a bad taste, just too little flavor.

I am an MTL vaper so airflow kit ordered to see if that has any impact.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Ok thanks guys will try 28 ga wire today and if I still have an issue its time to strip and clean.

I wonder if my issue of bad taste could be from machine oil ?
Did you clean it when you got it? I didn't take mine completely apart, but did remove top & bottom, glass, airflow ring. Gave them a squit & scrub with alcohol, & short soak in hot soapy water, rinsed off & dryed it. No smell of machine oil so I used it.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Well i am almost convinced that its a wicking issue.
If I close the airholes with my fingers and draw without firing, then fire afterwards, I get some flavor....

Hmmm confused.

I will try a silica wick next time to see if its better than organic cotton.
I use cotton bacon v2.This tank has amazing flavor.Stick with it,it is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread