Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
so a button pressed in a pants pocket is an autofire?
i consider that a user error.
a pressed button is not an autofire.
A fire when it’s not supposed to be firing is an auto fire. It is a device used and carried by humans so the human element needs to be considered.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
It happens in pockets of course. Most documented autofires are people sticking mechs in their pockets. I have done that twice personally. There’s also one or two where people set their mech down on something and fired the button. I don’t think it applies with a mech just sitting there though. It’s not that mechs are mechanically more dangerous, so much as they’re less stupidproof.

I always consider that 'accidental firing', rather than autofiring. There are many stories of regulated mods and mosfet mods just autofiring while sitting undisturbed on a table or something (often it is discovered that there is juice in the mod on the board/chip or some such thing).

With a mech, autofiring can happen with a damaged wrap in a conductive tube (autofiring, or worse, shorting depending on battery orientation) -- though that is more likely to happen right away rather than while sitting undisturbed on table. It can also happen with broken or loose components in a mech making unintended contact to complete the circuit either due to poor design or after a drop or inattentive maintenance.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I always consider that 'accidental firing', rather than autofiring. There are many stories of regulated mods and mosfet mods just autofiring while sitting undisturbed on a table or something (often it is discovered that there is juice in the mod on the board/chip or some such thing).

With a mech, autofiring can happen with a damaged wrap in a conductive tube (autofiring, or worse, shorting depending on battery orientation) -- though that is more likely to happen right away rather than while sitting undisturbed on table. It can also happen with broken or loose components in a mech making unintended contact to complete the circuit either due to poor design or after a drop or inattentive maintenance.
I wouldn’t say many. I’ve only heard of one. That SMOK AIO I mentioned earlier.
I also remember an incident reported here where a noob put a cartridge tank with a non protruding center pin in a hybrid mech mod.
This appears to be mostly an issue of mech users protecting their turf by defining what an auto fire is in somewhat narrow terms.
It’s a valid point. I personally doubt either mech mods or normal regulated mods will be affected by this. The origional post appears to me to be a situation where the FDA is still ...... at JUUL and BT. It is most likely imho that the potential casualties from anything that may happen are sealed pod salt devices.
I personally have little sympathy for them. They’re under performing, over priced, and I still don’t trust nic salts. That’s just me of course.

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn’t say many. I’ve only heard of one. That SMOK AIO I mentioned earlier.
I also remember an incident reported here where a noob put a cartridge tank with a non protruding center pin in a hybrid mech mod.
This appears to be mostly an issue of mech users protecting their turf by defining what an auto fire is in somewhat narrow terms.
Well, just type 'autofire' in the search box of the main forum ... first page has hits for Pico squeeze, zna, kbox 160, yihi sx350j, istick 50, kbox mini ...

It isn't anything to with protecting turf, that's just silly. There is a very real difference between accidentally pressing a mod's button in a pocket or bag (and can happen with any mod), or having a mod start firing by itself because its chip has gone wonky. I can put my SQ mech down and know 100% it isn't going to fire by itself. Period. I can't say the same for any regulated or unregulated chipped mod I have (though I have pretty high confidence in them, it could happen).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Well, just type 'autofire' in the search box of the main forum ... first page has hits for Pico squeeze, zna, kbox 160, yihi sx350j, istick 50, kbox mini ...

It isn't anything to with protecting turf, that's just silly. There is a very real difference between accidentally pressing a mod's button in a pocket or bag (and can happen with any mod), or having a mod start firing by itself because its chip has gone wonky. I can put my SQ mech down and know 100% it isn't going to fire by itself. Period. I can't say the same for any regulated or unregulated chipped mod I have (though I have pretty high confidence in them, it could happen).
Regulated mods generally have 10 second power cutoffs to prevent runaways. Mechs don’t. And you’re still arguing by defining terms. I stand by that statement, since your argument is about defining the terminology of an action rather than the action itself and then attempting to leverage that into an implication that mechs are safer than regulated mods by impugning the safety of regulated mods. I’ve been vaping for a long time and I’ve used both. Every single safety issue I’ve had has been with a mech mod. Both mech mods and regulated mods can suffer from defective manufacturing or design that creates safety issues. You apparently seem to feel that mech mods are safer for you than regulated mods. That’s fine. You are not everyone though.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm getting paranoid now and may start removing batteries at night.
This may have been the entire point of the excercise. If you do that though you should do it with EVERY battery powered device you have since they are all equally callable to that extremely rare failure. Plug in too devices actually. You’re going to have to simply be terrified by electricity as a concept. I personally think the whole thing is ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I am not EVER gonna get that paranoid about it, and my husband was hit by lighting THREE times. I will hike right next to him and joke that I am in the safest place to be. Because if you've been hit once, you are more likely to be hit again.

The third time was kind of his fault, though. So I don't count it.

And, just so I don't get the "How was it his fault" question, well, he was drunk near a river, that was getting hit, and his friend asked what it was like, and the husband said, "Want to find out?" and they got in the river and a bit strike hit. "Fried my balls' he always says. I always think, "Yes and more than that, apparently."

I know. I sometimes don't believe him either, but really you can't make this stuff up.

Anna

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
This may have been the entire point of the excercise. If you do that though you should do it with EVERY battery powered device you have since they are all equally callable to that extremely rare failure. Plug in too devices actually. You’re going to have to simply be terrified by electricity as a concept. I personally think the whole thing is ridiculous.
Well, okay, then. That's me told.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
This is a good thread and something that I think needs more attention. I too have recently been seeing more mod / batt fires on reddit etc. I know some of it is carelessness, but I think there is more of a chance of over night fires with mods because of problems with some mods auto firing and or juice leaking into the mod.

I have resettled with the idea of pulling the batteries every night as I only use 2 mods, but I think the more you pull your batteries in and out, the more chance of damaging or ripping the sleeves, so I've ordered this to put my 2 mods in overnight just for my piece of mind and it's very cost effective.

Fire Protection LiPo Battery Safe Bag

8022601-3.jpg

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is a good thread and something that I think needs more attention. I too have recently been seeing more mod / batt fires on reddit etc. I know some of it is carelessness, but I think there is more of a chance of over night fires with mods because of problems with some mods auto firing and or juice leaking into the mod.

I have resettled with the idea of pulling the batteries every night as I only use 2 mods, but I think the more you pull your batteries in and out, the more chance of damaging or ripping the sleeves, so I've ordered this to put my 2 mods in overnight just for my piece of mind and it's very cost effective.

Fire Protection LiPo Battery Safe Bag

View attachment 793501
Don’t forget to put your phone in too. And your washing machine, because that also runs on electricity. Funny how these battery fire stories aren’t making it here where people fact check.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
Don’t forget to put your phone in too. And your washing machine, because that also runs on electricity. Funny how these battery fire stories aren’t making it here where people fact check.

yeah I hear what you're saying, but phones don't have leaking tanks on top and I believe most use much smaller batteries. Also the fact that these mods are being built at warp speed every month and I'm not sure how much quality is put into them.

It's not for everyone, but for $5 investment, and it takes like 10 sec's to drop 2 or 3 mods in the bag and close it before you go to bed. Is it worth it, thats up to you

Last edited:

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I guess misused batteries and counterfeit products that that caused injuries at the beginning of this innovation made quite a few a little more paranoid than usual. :D I guess whatever floats your boat will do. When one of us here got our beards burnt, if not our house, then someone who practise safety will tell us, "I told you so"... :rolleyes:

When I was in the Philippines just two weeks ago, I saw this guy who went out of the the mall to take a cigarette/vape break. I watched him took out a mod and another box and took out two batteries from that box and inserted them inside the mod. He vaped a few puffs with another guy who smokes then after the other dude put out his smokes, this vaper guy took out the batteries from his mod and put them back inside the box and inside his bag. They went in back to the mall. I'm guessing they are employees there. I was thinking if that's really necessary. I thought I'd make a post here when I'm back from that trip but I didn't bother. I know opinions will be mixed.

Anyways, I wouldn't stop anyone from practising safety, but I also wouldn't go that far for it. I leave my batts were they need to be. I also have a box like that guy has, but I use it to store batteries after they are charged and waiting to be used. I have 5 batteries that I drain the whole day. I charge 5 of them when I sleep, 4 in a dedicated charger and one inside the mod. They are all full charged when I wake up and ready for another day of service.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
You're a comfort to me, @bombastinator. Plus your take jibes with one of my dominant traits: laziness.

I wouldn't want to shove all my active mods together in a single bag, @Rockford. If one blew, it would take the other three with it. If I were going to be cautious, I'd go the whole hog and bag them separately.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have 19 rigs always loaded and ready to go, I only use 5 daily in rotation. The EDC ones I don't remove the batteries from but shut the mods off at night.

The lesser used ones I slide one of those battery activation pull tabs under each battery, the stuff we collect for possible future use... :lol:

A while back I had to change most of the smoke detectors in the building I look after so I kept all the battery activation strips. Cut each one in half, give a little bend to the corners and they will slide right in between the battery and contact without catching on the wrap or post. Put one under each battery in a mod that has charging because the board is still connected between the two cells and could very slowly drain one battery if left for a long time.
Tab.jpg

Just pull the tabs out and slide them in beside the batteries when you are going to use the mod.

A Mylar sheet from the dollar/craft store will give you an endless supply of tabs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread