Batteries in mods at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
This is a good thread and something that I think needs more attention. I too have recently been seeing more mod / batt fires on reddit etc. I know some of it is carelessness, but I think there is more of a chance of over night fires with mods because of problems with some mods auto firing and or juice leaking into the mod.

I have resettled with the idea of pulling the batteries every night as I only use 2 mods, but I think the more you pull your batteries in and out, the more chance of damaging or ripping the sleeves, so I've ordered this to put my 2 mods in overnight just for my piece of mind and it's very cost effective.

Fire Protection LiPo Battery Safe Bag

View attachment 793501
I would seriously reconsider your false sense of security with those sketchy $3 Fasttech LiPo bags and seek out something that has actually been tested.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I would seriously reconsider your false sense of security with those sketchy $3 Fasttech LiPo bags and seek out something that has actually been tested.
Meh. I put them in the same catagory as the anti-radiation moss vest my stepmother bought for her son to protect from “harmful cosmic rays” on plane trips. Whatever makes you feel better. This whole thing seems to have originated from reports of vague horror stories on reddit. Generally if it actually happened it makes its way over here where it can be checked and picked apart. This does not seem to have happened which makes me not trust these reports much.

Reactions: TrollDragon

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I have 4 mods in my daily rotation and I do not take the batteries out at night. I turn off two of the mods, one cannot be turned off but goes to sleep or something and I usually just leave the one that is near me on overnight.

I pay attention to battery safety - rewrap at the slightest imperfection and appropriately dispose of if they are not keeping a charge.

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
This really pisses me off that I and others try to bring some good safety idea's on here and all you get are negative nelly's and trolls. It's really too bad there are people on here like this.

If you don't like what you read just go to another thread, don't spew your negative crap all over here.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I had initially purchased a bag and after getting a number of opinions here I decided against using it.

The reason I decided against it is because (and I am not an expert on this) the 18650 batteries I use are lithium-ion and the battery packs are for Lipo (Li-Polymer). The one time I tried it I was actually a little concerned about the heat I felt it actually trapped so I solicited opinions on here and stopped using it.

I did buy a brick at home depot that I place my charger on top of that most times.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This really pisses me off that I and others try to bring some good safety idea's on here and all you get are negative nelly's and trolls. It's really too bad there are people on here like this.

If you don't like what you read just go to another thread, don't spew your negative crap all over here.
Interesting statement “good safety ideas”. One “negative nelly” (that would be me I guess) pointed out that there is a really really good chance that this is viral marketing BS or some other such rumor based hoohaa, while another pointed out that if the problem were actually real, the product suggested has no actual proof of functionality.

The point being made is there doesn’t seem to be a lot of “good” or “safety” in these ideas.

• Agree

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston

Couldn’t agree more.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
Interesting statement “good safety ideas”. One “negative nelly” (that would be me I guess) pointed out that there is a really really good chance that this is viral marketing BS or some other such rumor based hoohaa, while another pointed out that if the problem were actually real, the product suggested has no actual proof of functionality.

The point being made is there doesn’t seem to be a lot of “good” or “safety” in these ideas.

Just to be clear - are you saying the guy who posted on reddit made this story up? I saw the pics of his mod. It’s clear one of the batteries vented.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Just to be clear - are you saying the guy who posted on reddit made this story up? I saw the pics of his mod. It’s clear one of the batteries vented.
I’m saying nothing has been reposted here. All I’m seeing is “I heard a guy claim something once”. Generally this stuff gets reposted here. That this hasn’t makes me suspicious of its validity. Stuff that gets posted here often gets fact checked. I believe you saw a picture. What that pic contains and when or where it is actually from, those remain unknown. The world today is full of BS and viral marketing (which is distinguished from regular BS only in that someone is being paid to spread it). Did this happen? Maybe. The lack of anything but a rumor though leads me to suspect it though.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I question a lot of what is said on Reddit and feel the majority of the claims is due to user negligent to which no one is willing to admit. That Is not to say a device can not fail. However, failures due to manufacturing faults are completely random and do not happen on schedule such as while we sleep. It is said we can better handle a situation such as a failed device that has burst into flames, should we be present with said device. But ask yourself if your device is present with you 100% of the time while you are awake? What about while driving which could also be more dangerous given the environment – just as a simple example.

That said we all handle or deal with risk in different ways. If it makes you feel more comfortable removing your batteries at night or placing your device in a claimed fire proof bag then by all means do so.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I would seriously quit trolling with your negative comments. Your name suites you. Canadian yet (how embarrassing)
You need to relax, I was just pointing out that what you think might be good is probably junk. I don't troll anyone, that name has been with me since the days of playing D&D before there was residential internet available.

You left the Shiny thread because something somebody said there that set you off...

Don't worry pal, I won't darken anymore of your posts with a comment or acknowledgement.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I’m saying nothing has been reposted here. All I’m seeing is “I heard a guy claim something once”. Generally this stuff gets reposted here. That this hasn’t makes me suspicious of its validity. Stuff that gets posted here often gets fact checked. I believe you saw a picture. What that pic contains and when or where it is actually from, those remain unknown. The world today is full of BS and viral marketing (which is distinguished from regular BS only in that someone is being paid to spread it). Did this happen? Maybe. The lack of anything but a rumor though leads me to suspect it though.

Did you check the thread out from Reddit?

Rockford

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2018
BC Canada
You need to relax, I was just pointing out that what you think might be good is probably junk. I don't troll anyone, that name has been with me since the days of playing D&D before there was residential internet available.

You left the Shiny thread because something somebody said there that set you off...

Don't worry pal, I won't darken anymore of your posts with a comment or acknowledgement.

You may very well be right that it is a garbage bag and I'm sure there are better ones avail and tested, but there is a nice way to say that in a post. You don't have to come across in an insulting manor when posting on here.

That wasn't an acknowledgment, it was an insult to me when I'm just trying to give idea's on how to be safer using these batteries / mods.

Reactions: Fidola13

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
i sure like frenchfries idea.
shutting the mod off n placing it in a ceramic cup is easy n would allow time to react.
What temp does lithium fires burn at? Internet says 400-1000f. A good high temp stoneware ought to do it.

Honestly I expected it to be 2-3 times that. It’s possible one won’t melt a hole through the bottom of one of those padded pouches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread