Batteries in mods at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Philly
Yes I take my batteries out and put them into cases unless they are internal batteries ofc.

Just general battery safety. Kind of scary how many people admit to not doing so after how much battery safety we preach on this forum. Wasn't there just a post on this forum yesterday (maybe it was the subreddit) about some guy who left his batteries in his mod and it vented while he was sleeping? Granted these incidents mostly stem from bad wraps on batteries but still...better to be safe then to be sorry and then posting on this forum showing us your 2nd degree acid burns.

I mean jesus at least turn the mod off. Takes 5 clicks guys. 5 clicks.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If I'm not using a mod for a while I take the batteries out, but I keep batteries in several mods that I rotate. I just turn them off at night. I suppose an output driver could short and leave it in "button pressed" mode, but I haven't seen that in 9 years of vaping. There's always a first time for everything.

Firing in a pants pocket ... I've had that happen. Usually happens when I sit down, but usually with mods that have weaker fire button springs..

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I turn off the ones I'm not using at night most of the time.

The one or two mods that I probably SHOULD turn off (the ones that get buried underneath me as I am sleeping) I don't turn off.

I kind of figure the smoke alarm wouldn't wake me (it hasn't before) but surely a battery explosion on my torso would awaken me, I mean....

It's probably a justification and frankly I turn them off to save battery life, not because I think they are going to randomly blow up as they sit there doing nothing. I really do not think that. I really DOUBT that. Perhaps I am mistaken but I just so sincerely doubt it, I mean the odds are in my favor. Etc.

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
both battery posts are connected as long as the battery is in a regulated. only one post is connected in a mech until your finger or something else hits the button. there is nothing auto in a mech.
Think for this conversation they may describing the mod falling over and firing. Not technically an auto fire I know.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
it is hard for me to believe that a mech is more likely to autofire than a regulated. please show me any documented case of a mech autofire.
It happens in pockets of course. Most documented autofires are people sticking mechs in their pockets. I have done that twice personally. There’s also one or two where people set their mech down on something and fired the button. I don’t think it applies with a mech just sitting there though. It’s not that mechs are mechanically more dangerous, so much as they’re less stupidproof.

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I usually have around 25 mech and regulated mods out in rotation daily/nightly (staged on my desk). When in rotation they are all in an "on" ready state 24/7 (they can be picked up and vaped on a whim). Only the other 80+ mods not in rotation do not have batts/atty's installed (but then all of them are also long retired).

On average I vape upwards of 20-22 hours a day/night, but some times 24 hours for one or two days at a time (I don't sleep much). At home but away from the desk I commonly have 6 mods at hand, but less than 6 when spare batts and joose come along as well. An old picture of the mod/batt/joose carrier that goes with me to where ever else I am at home (all but the mod on the right is currently retired). For the few wee hours of the night errand runs I still do I usually take 2 squonk mods along in a VapeSox.

rx8.jpg

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread