Status
Not open for further replies.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
Another battery question please. How long do you use the same batteries before you feel they should just be replaced altogether? 6 months, a year??

batteries have a cycle rating as well. For the AW IMR batteries, that is 300 cycles. That means 300 times charging/discharging. Since I go through a battery a day, and I have 3 in rotation, I go through about 121 cycles per year. That means a battery life of 2.5 years. (Note, this is the specs on the battery. YMMV)

ETA: Geek answer

badcompany03

Aug 8, 2014
indiana
For battery safety, use high quality cells like Sony and aw puts out and only imr cells, don't put the battery in backwards and also when the battery starts to feel weak, pull it out and charge it and replace with a charged cell. You also need to use ohms law,you can get calculators on your phone to put in your coil resistance and your battery voltage to check your amps to make sure they are in a safe range for the battery you have.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
KS, you ask good questions :)

A kick is an electronic "addon" that goes between the battery and the positive contact. It "regulates" the voltage so that there's no "drop off" in performance as the battery slowly drains down from its (charged) 4.2v down to around 3.5(ish....if I recall correctly). It requires some modification to the REO, but Robert is working on a mod that is "kick ready", i.e., it will come with a spacer that allows the mod to function as purely mechanical (like the current REOs), and which can be removed to insert a kick. If the kick fails, the spacer can be put back in to run pure mechanical while you wait for a new kick to arrive in the mail.

There are numerous articles both here on ECF and on the candlepower forums about battery safety, that, trust me, will go into way more detail than you need, but they're worth a scan anyway. The basics are really just common sense. Use a quality charger, use safe chemistry batteries (IMR), periodically check them coming off the charger to ensure that they are charging properly (should be about 4.1 or 4.2 for an 18650 AW IMR). Change them out at a frequency that keeps them above about 3.5 (the vapor/flavor will taper off around 3.9 anyway). Do that, at first, by checking them with a multimeter throughout the day, for a "moderate" vaper like myself, that turns out to be *roughly* fresh battery (1600 mAH AW IMR) in the morning, fresh battery around 6:00 pm. After you know what your "schedule" is, just check them occasionally to make sure they're staying within range.

The rest is normal battery safety. Never leave them where subjected to temperature extremes. Never charge them unattended, always on a flame resistant surface. Never carry them in a way that would allow them to short (keys in purse, coins coming in contact, etc.) A battery case is designed with this in mind and they're cheap and quite functional. If a battery is dropped or damaged in some way, test it before use, or, if in any doubt, replace it.

That's the crux of it, if I've missed anything important, hopefully someone will chime in shortly.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
For battery safety, use high quality cells like Sony and aw puts out and only imr cells, don't put the battery in backwards and also when the battery starts to feel weak, pull it out and charge it and replace with a charged cell. You also need to use ohms law,you can get calculators on your phone to put in your coil resistance and your battery voltage to check your amps to make sure they are in a safe range for the battery you have.

Badcompany is too fast for me, but let me emphasize something he said. If you're running 1.5+ ohms on your atty, you're likely fine with most quality batteries. If you tend to go lower (sub ohm), it's crucial you use a battery that's designed to handle the current draw you're asking from it. The AW IMR 18650 1600 mAH batteries are rated at around 24 amps, the Sony VTC5's at 30 amps. Some others are only rated at 10, so you need a battery capable of safely handling the expected draw at 4.2 volts.

Bad things happen when you try to draw 15 amps from a 10 amp rated battery.

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Ok, the batteries I have purchased are the AW IMR 18650 from RTD. Those are ok? I will probably be using a coil in the 1 ohm-1.5 ohm range. So the sony ones are called VTC5? They are the purple ones I have seen right? Where is the best place to get them? {I have read their are also fake batteries out there...sigh}
Thanks for the comment. But you see I am an avid believer in research first,I am 55..no spring chicken:laugh:, and I have critters that are my family and depend on me to keep them well and safe.
Plus, I have been through the house burning down thing. Something I never want to go through ever again..

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Yes that's it make sure you get the bottom fed if you are going to get the atty.
A kick is a chip that goes inside of mechanical mods so you have all the benefits of a vw device and you can change your wattage and have battery cutoff and such, it's also made by evolv, the same people who make the DNA 30 boards.
Thank you.:) Is that the site you would trust getting a real one from?

keepsmiling

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2014
Florida
Should I get some of these?

Sony US18650VTC5 2600mAh 30amp

$10.99
Product Description
Specifications:
Nominal Capacity: 2600 mAh