Best high-end MTL mod and tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
I've been looking at the innokin Zenith and the kayfun V5/Prime tanks.
I have both and if you're a true MTLer I think you'll appreciate the Prime over the V5. Even on its smallest AF setting, the V5 just isn't designed for true MTL. There is an AF restriction kit you can buy separately but I have no experience with that, sorry. But you can get an extension kit for the Prime, increasing it's capacity. I need to get that, lol.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
My $300 mod gives me the same vape as my $40 mod. The difference in mod cost isn't in performance. It's in aesthetic, build quality, reliability, and after sales support.

My $140 RDA does perform better than my $20 drop in coil tank. But the 7 time increase in price does not equate to a 7 time increase in performance.

Also my jam. I also don't get why someone would spend money on a mass produced chinese stabwood mod (e.g. the Asmodus stuff) when they can get a hand made mod with high quality stabwood for roughly the same price.
Yeah, I don't care about mods at all...I spend my money on atties, and I have to say my high end atties are worth every penny...

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Ulton clones are supposed to have a very high regard, due to quality and 1:1 modeling.

They have a KF lite 2019 in 22mn and 24mm variants, at a fraction of the cost of an original.
I noticed that the SXKs are more expensive. Do you have experience with the Ultons? I have an Ulton Juggerknot Mini and it's spot on. Don't know about the KFL 2019 yet.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
It's sort of funny to use the word "quality" to describe wood that needs to be stabilized with plastic so that it doesn't fall apart. ;)

It is a nice decorative wood.
alot of woods used in stabwood are excellent woods, but they are being milled to thinner dimensions in some places than would be safe for everyday use, the epoxy resin helps the wood keep from splitting and cracking some woods can be very brittle and a hard shock could result in a crack...and wood is an organic material so it swells and shrinks and moves according to moisture levels the epoxy minimizes that....apart from that the grain of the wood makes each mod beautiful and one of a kind.

Reactions: stols001

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
The KF Prime is an excellent but finicky tank (IMO true for all the KF tanks).
Funny, but I found the Prime and RTAs like it most forgiving. The older KFs I wouldn't advise for a newbie, though. The worst part about building a KF, for me, is my eyesight, lol.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Interesting, muth. I find the older KFs to be far easier (and more newbie-friendly) than the newer ones. Anything from the V3s on were a PITA to wick for me.

Of course, I took all my v2s and v2+s and kompacted them into smaller more doable tanks.

My fave:

diamond kf.jpg

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Instead of laying the wick "across" the juice holes, left to right or right to left, i'd have problems with wicking sometimes, especially with darker liquids, i drape the wick like a fringe. Before screwing on the barrel i'll pull the wick through the coil until one side is the right length and then spread it out across the holes to cover them, the bottom of the tail sits like a curtain which is a little too long. Then i'll cut the other side and do the same thing, then i screw on the barrel, prime etc. There isn't enough wick to stop the flow using this method.

Packing a whole load of wick into that barrel can always be hit or miss.

K4.

Last edited:

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
alot of woods used in stabwood are excellent woods, but they are being milled to thinner dimensions in some places than would be safe for everyday use, the epoxy resin helps the wood keep from splitting and cracking some woods can be very brittle and a hard shock could result in a crack...and wood is an organic material so it swells and shrinks and moves according to moisture levels the epoxy minimizes that....apart from that the grain of the wood makes each mod beautiful and one of a kind.

My post was about bogwood.

Aesthetics is subjective and not necessarily the same as quality. Bedazzling doesn't make a mod higher quality, it just makes it bedazzled.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
With TC vaping, when the coil or coils reach a set target temperature. The power delivered is then throttled.

So when working properly, if your wicking runs dry. The power delivered will be reduced, so the wicking won't burn.

Also, depending upon your liquid. Different temperatures bring out different flavours.

Also you can get a consistent cool or warm vape to your preference.

The only pain though is getting the preheat wattage right (initial wattage sent to coil to get it to temperature), higher makes the vape hotter and harsher and lower makes the vape cooler and milder. And and setting the TCR value of the metal of the wire your using, as the same alloys have slightly differing compositions and processing methods.

For example 3 lots of SS316L from 3 different manufacturers will have slightly different TCR values, not the end of the world though. Can always tweak once you get close.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
@DPLongo22, Dicodes is the only company that has it's own TC wire (Resistherm, NiFe30) made to their exacting standards with a known TCR.
dicodes resistance wire NiFe30 - dicodes-mods.com

I know. They include it with each mod these days.

When I want to change my temperature, I walk to the thermostat on the wall of my house. ;)

Power mode is absolutely fine for me, and the better chips provide a noticeable difference in that area too. When I pull even a cheap atty/tank off one of the better ones (usually to go out), I can tell the difference. I'm actually considering one of those leather sleeves now because of it.

As a rule, I don't like sleeves. But the vape has spoiled me so I'm (surprisingly to me) considering it. We'll see...

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Thanks for all your replies! How does TV vaping differ from wattage vaping?

TV is something you watch, and wattage vaping is a form of vaporizing e-liquid based on a voltage/resistance calculation...

;)

Just kidding. I knew what you meant (TC). :D

Reactions: stols001

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Interesting, muth. I find the older KFs to be far easier (and more newbie-friendly) than the newer ones.

I prefer the "slap it against the sides" approach too. Those little channels never...(how did he put it again)?

Oh yeah; Those little channels never blew my skirt up. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread