Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I don't know smoked25years, I've been playing with 3 Orions. I don't know how the juul TC works especially without any controls. Maybe they are set at the factory and if you don't like it, tough.

But what I think would make a perfect pod is having:
  • Great flavor and vapor
  • Adjustable temperature control
  • Adjustable power control
  • No leaking or condensation
  • No spitback or juice in your mouth
  • Works either by MTL or DTL vaping
  • Adjustable airflow
  • Different coil options
  • Easy to refill
  • Easy to see juice level
  • Easy to swap out pods with positive lock
  • Consumer replaceable battery
  • A rebuildable deck
The Orion hits them all except the last two. But given its tiny size, it is sort of forgivable. Lost Vape says an authorized service center can replace the battery for you (no word on price yet). And while the refillable pods cost $4 each, they seem to last 2 months for those that had them that long. Thanks to Replay for preventing dry hits and excessive coil gunking. The most refills on one pod I have is 9 refills and it is still going strong.

I have 7 pods filled with juice and none of them leak anywhere. Bone dry all around and no spitback, juice in your mouth or anything. And some flavors comes out at different temperatures. So a pod system that you can't adjust doesn't do you a lot of good.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
I don't know smoked25years, I've been playing with 3 Orions. I don't know how the JUUL TC works especially without any controls. Maybe they are set at the factory and if you don't like it, tough.

But what I think would make a perfect pod is having:
  • Great flavor and vapor
  • Adjustable temperature control
  • Adjustable power control
  • No leaking or condensation
  • No spitback or juice in your mouth
  • Works either by MTL or DTL vaping
  • Adjustable airflow
  • Different coil options
  • Easy to refill
  • Easy to see juice level
  • Easy to swap out pods with positive lock
  • Consumer replaceable battery
  • A rebuildable deck
The Orion hits them all except the last two. But given its tiny size, it is sort of forgivable. Lost Vape says an authorized service center can replace the battery for you (no word on price yet). And while the refillable pods cost $4 each, they seem to last 2 months for those that had them that long. Thanks to Replay for preventing dry hits and excessive coil gunking. The most refills on one pod I have is 9 refills and it is still going strong.

I have 7 pods filled with juice and none of them leak anywhere. Bone dry all around and no spitback, juice in your mouth or anything. And some flavors comes out at different temperatures. So a pod system that you can't adjust doesn't do you a lot of good.

The Orion looks good. I think about pen size separately from larger pod mods. With larger mods like the Orion, there's more room. I don't know the size of the DNA Go chip but my guess is that it is too big and power hungry for something the size of a Juul or Myblu. I don't know specifics about the Juul's board. I had heard about the temperature regulation on the Juul from posts in this forum. I doubt it is anywhere near as sophisticated as the DNA chip. Juul also uses silica and that eliminates burnt wicks.

In the category of larger devices, the DNA go looks promising. For any device that I am using more than a week, I would want to replace the cotton. People have a wide range of preferences when it comes to changing coils and cotton and hygiene. Personally, I like to replace and clean frequently. I'm hoping that the Orion deck can be accessed and the cotton can be replaced, especially if the pods are usable for a month.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Well smoked25years, the Orion is actually shorter than MyBlu. It looks about the size of a Zippo lighter, maybe slightly smaller just taller. And the 0.5Ω coil will vape through about 4.5ml worth on a 950mah battery. So the DNA Go board with a JUUL battery shouldn't have a problem with one JUUL pod worth of juice. And the board is said to be really small. It would have to be to get a 950mah battery in that Orion box.

On my large mods, I use TC about 99% of the time. And while I heard of people changing the cotton wick every 3 days or so. I don't know how important that is with TC. Since I usually rinse a gunked up coil with cotton under the sink and everything just rinses right off and the cotton looks new again. I don't reuse the cotton. Mainly because my well water has magnesium in it. Taste fine in a glass of water, but vaping it in cotton tastes horrible. Vaping anything seems to magnify the taste like hundreds of times.

About hygiene in respect to vaping is interesting to me. After four years of vaping and I have some tanks sitting on a shelf for 2+ years with juice still in them. And you would expect something to start growing in there or something. No I don't pick them up and vape them. That just sounds too gross to me. :lol: I'll clean them someday if I ever use them again or during spring cleaning. I already cleaned some of them already. And I am surprised how clean they look inside.

If I am not mistaken, but I don't think bacteria can live in PG. I should run some lab tests with say 90% water and 10% PG and place a piece of bread in and see if anything grows. Well I haven't done any DIY juices yet, so I don't have any PG either. I do have a lot of juices I don't like though. Maybe that would work. :)

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
If you have problems with juice in your mouth, remove the pod and try blowing through it...into a napkin or similar. Blow though the end normally in your mouth and you may get some juice into your napkin.

It is also helpful to keep the device standing up when not in use or when in you hand for a long time...mouth end up.

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
If you have problems with juice in your mouth, remove the pod and try blowing through it...into a napkin or similar. Blow though the end normally in your mouth and you may get some juice into your napkin.

It is also helpful to keep the device standing up when not in use or when in you hand for a long time...mouth end up.

That works well.

Removing the drip tip and washing/drying is more thorough. But that's not always convenient on the go. For a quick fix that works extremely well, remove the black mouthpiece (far right in photo). The clear silicone part (2nd from the right in photo) typically stays lodged in the mouthpiece and the liquid is stuck between the clear silicone and the black mouthpiece. If you blow into the large opening, it will force the trapped liquid out of the two small openings on the end.

IMG_2220 (1).JPG

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Reactions: smoked25years

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
The clear silicone part (2nd from the right in photo) typically stays lodged in the mouthpiece and the liquid is stuck between the clear silicone and the black mouthpiece.
Not the chimney part, but those other two holes on the top of the pod. Do the holes go right through and you can refill them there?

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Not the chimney part, but those other two holes on the top of the pod. Do the holes go right through and you can refill them there?

The only opening on that end of the tank is the chimney. It's bottom fill...it's the pod equivalent of the Doggystyle RTA. ;)

sxk-doggystyle.jpg

pods-018.jpg

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018

It's a clever idea but wouldn't be particularly effective for a vape. The light would only reach the exposed surfaces, not inside the drip tip etc.

UV lights are often used inside hoods that are used for sterile procedures. But they aren't used alone. Everything is washed and wiped down with alcohol and the UV light is used as a last step.

Much better for the vape manufacturers just to make the drip tips removable and washable.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.
some tanks sitting on a shelf for 2+ years with juice still in them. And you would expect something to start growing in there or something. No I don't pick them up and vape them. That just sounds too gross to me.

It seems like it would have to be an awfully hearty bacteria/virus...to live through the 250-550 degree temperatures of the coil that changes the ejuice into vapor...:shock:

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50

cardsfan300

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2014
Florida
Just found a place selling the blu kit and a pack of intense pods for $10.49. Looks like the kit is going back on sale for a dollar and it is advertised as a deal along with a pack of intense pods. I tried the tobacco chill 4%. Really nice flavor and is pretty satisfying. I asked the guy if you have to buy the pods to get the dollar deal and he said no, it is just advertised that way. I wanted to try the intense, and I'm glad I did. I may order some of these refills as back ups.

TWalker

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
NM
Has anyone successfully replaced Myblu coils? I mean besides me. If so could you point me to that direction?

If not and anyone is interested in easy coil replacement I will consider a write up on my method.

Edit: I hadn't read all 20 pages of this thread but see I am not the first to try. I had some premade and wicked coils from fastech and they worked perfectly. All I used was an exacto knife to pull the old coil out and put the new one in, trimmed the wick and done. The wick was also the correct width to seal it. They are as good or a bit better than stock coils. Quick and easy. A bit more vapor and taste and I think these coils were less than $3 for 50? I had them for years so cannot remember what I paid.
Update: Here they are but I am not sure what resistance mine are until I test one. I think mine are 1.8 from memory: MyBlu Coils

Any tips on getting more starter kits for $1? The offer is limited to 1 per customer now.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I did it! Replaced the coil in a myblu!!!!!! I bought premade coils from ft $1.83 (Free Shipping) Pre-made Wires and Wicks for Atomizer (50-Pack) (1.5ohm, 32 AWG, 1-Wick: 50-Pack) at m.FastTech.com
Someone here pointed me to these and they worked great! I can't believe 5 months ago I would have freaked out at the idea of replacing the wick on a myblu much less the coil and now here I am with squonks and building myblus. Thank you to everyone here because I couldn't have done it without your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread