breaking news,child dead after ingesting nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I know in the Israel case in May 2013, there was no update on toxicology that I could find at the time and for a while after, but it was stated that the child was "anesthetized and put on a ventilator". I don't have the knowledge needed to judge, but it would seem to me, that anesthetizing would be one of the last things one would do with an unconscious infant (she died two hours later). I understand anesthetizing to ease the pain of someone going on a ventilator in normal (well not 'normal') conditions, but it would seem that 'easing the pain' in that case would be the last consideration in such a case. It may wake them up if anything - which again, imo, would be a good thing.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
That "report" is so full of holes - why did you even post it?

The police we all know are all coroners - so they actually know what caused the death. Because someone (allegedly) quoted a(n unnamed) police officer. But someone (allegedly) said it and apparently that's all that matters.

So we have unnamed police, an unnamed toddler, unnamed parents and no facts. Yet you had to post this, inject the link into ECF, and get everyone worked up. We have a rule about breaking links to junk science. Don't we have a rule for breaking links to junk news?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
The problem is, both statements are, in fact, true. They simply do not actually relate to this tragic event. Unless they had PURE nicotine in their house, which would be incredibly rare since the highest concentrations normally sold commercially would be 10%, or the 1yo/toddler/child went out and purchased the liquid.

Well that's true to that actural PURE 100% nicotine is more than rare;
The 10% nicotine, I would say can qualify to be called nicotine concentrate, and that would be more common among DIYers.

The thing that bothers me is the confusion being circulated this week starting with the Dr Oz show a few days ago, creating the misperception that eliquids sold in vape shops IS "liquid nicotine".

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
But do you really think anything else will come out? You've got the dead child, nicotine has been blamed, headlines blared... it's done. Usually with these types of stories, that's the end of it. When an actual cause of death is known, they don't publish follow-up stories. I mean, unless they determine intentional harm but even then, it will still be 'death by e-liquid'.

We've got a location but no name; plus no explanation why there's no name;

I guess every parent of a 1 year old who happens to be out of town gets to dial home nervously wondering if their child is ok.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Well that's true to that actural PURE 100% nicotine is more than rare;
The 10% nicotine, I would say can qualify to be called nicotine concentrate, and that would be more common among DIYers.

The thing that bothers me is the confusion being circulated this week starting with the Dr Oz show a few days ago, creating the misperception that eliquids sold in vape shops IS "liquid nicotine".

I would guess that the "reporter" in this article is simply ignorant. The Dr. Oz show was a deliberate misrepresentation of facts. It's easy to do.

Factual statements:
Many e-liquids contain nicotine. Liquid nicotine can be fatal if ingested.

Factual and not misleading statement:
While pure liquid nicotine can be fatal if ingested, most e-liquids that contain nicotine, contain it at a level at or below 3.6% or 36mg/ml, or in the case of DIY mixers 10%.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Here's an interesting quote from cbs

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/features/top-story/stories/ fort-plain-baby-dies-after-ingesting-liquid-nicotine-21592.shtml
The Centers for Disease Control says just 60 milligrams of liquid nicotine can kill an adult who weighs 150 pounds.

And abc has these details:

http://news10.com/2014/12/10/ fort-plain-child-dead-after-ingesting-liquid-nicotine/

FORT PLAIN, N.Y
EMS reported to a Garfield Street home shortly after 4 p.m. on Tuesday for an unresponsive one year old
Paramedics worked on the child from the home to the hospital in Little Falls. However, the child was pronounced dead at 5:53 p.m.
...,” said Rodney Strait a neighbor to the family that lost their child

Last edited:

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Very sad.

I do wish that these reporters took the time and effort to provide accurate information - or leave it out.

Pure nicotine? A teaspoon kills? Yes, that could be true. And it's got NOTHING to do with vaping and vaping products.
Even if someone left out their super-high strength, marked as poison, dilute-by-75% to 97%-before-vaping 100 mg Nicotine - THAT'S NOT PURE NICOTINE EITHER. It's 10 times less potent.

None of us is handling pure nic. It's more than 50 times the potency of your eliquid. It can harm you through your skin, let alone if a small child drinks it. So...if there was actually pure nicotine onsite - WHY??? And if it was e-liquid, I'm surprised a small child drank it (it's NASTY tasting) and surprised it would be fatal.

Still, a child died, and that's terrible.

"However, police said half a teaspoon of the pure liquid can kill a child. Lawmakers approved a bill back in June that would prohibit the sale of liquid nicotine to minors."

Another example of great reporting... Both of these statements have no place in this story(unless, against all odds, it was actually PURE nicotine).

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
I believe the highest level of nicotine one can buy is 999 mg / ml. It has all kinds of warnings about protective gear, for use in lab only etc. It is also very expensive. Not something that a person would have around the house. Even 100 mg/ml is only used by people doing DIY which is not that common. I bought a bottle of 100 mg / ml 6 months ago and cut it down to 36 mg /ml just because I did not want to handle it at that high level or have it sitting around.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I know in the Israel case in May 2013, there was no update on toxicology that I could find at the time and for a while after, but it was stated that the child was "anesthetized and put on a ventilator". I don't have the knowledge needed to judge, but it would seem to me, that anesthetizing would be one of the last things one would do with an unconscious infant (she died two hours later). I understand anesthetizing to ease the pain of someone going on a ventilator in normal (well not 'normal') conditions, but it would seem that 'easing the pain' in that case would be the last consideration in such a case. It may wake them up if anything - which again, imo, would be a good thing.

as recently as three months ago i searched for related stories pertaining to the child in Israel
and only could find the original story in the Jerusalem Post.
nothing else but reprints on blogs and such.
regards
mike

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
there is something fishy going on.
this morning i checked MSNBC,Yahoo News,Google News,Newsmax,Newser and all
my local news outlets including Minnesota Public(propaganda) Radio.
not one picked up on the story. checking back with the source i provided
only the original story is there,no updates.
i don't know what is happening but,apparently its all hush,hush.
i hope this mystery gets solved.
thanks moderator for breaking the link.
regards
mike

FourWinds

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
UK
Very sad news to read on my first visit to ECF for months. I'm torn between leaving 'very sad' as my comment or going on and sharing the thoughts that went through my mind as I was reading multiple news stories around the web - I made an immediate search from the OP.

Sharing thoughts wins:

1. Parents should know to keep nic' fluid, of any concentration, away from any children, in the same way as bleach and dishwasher tablets.
2. I see that there is 'confusion' regarding the concentration of nicotine in e-liquid, and that's a shame to say the least.
3. I don't want to sound like a psychopath here, but I think a point needs to be stated: regardless of the horror of this event, and the potential for more like it in the future, the legislators and medical profession should be focusing on 'net-harm' here. There will be future accidents associated with batteries, liquids, people standing on tubular mods that send them falling, temple first, onto hard surfaces. But it's my belief that the lives saved by the planet's smokers switching to vaping will totally eclipse the negative outcomes.
4. All my liquids now come in childproof little bottles, and I think that yours should too.

It's a damn shame. I'll mention the tragedy to other vapers I know, in case they may have become over complacent about things.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Except that, sadly, people do indeed leave those products where children can get them, and hundreds of children die annually because of this.

I don't mean to sound harsh. But some idiot probably left it out where the kid could get it. You don't do that with drain cleaner or tylenol so why would you do that with nicotine products.
And why is everyone surprised that reporters don't check facts? lol

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I'm really sorry for this, it is really sad to hear stories like this but let's face it...

there will be much more deaths caused by liquid and it will get worse as vaping becomes more mainstream.
it may sound alarmist but it isn't, people die from everything (medicines, cleaning stuff, glass windows, pools) it's just the more people using it the more accidents there will be with anything.

but the ANTZ WILL use this to fuel their fight

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
i just called the Fort Plain police dept. inquiring as to any
further developments.
i was informed that the matter is still under investigation and
that was all the info he could release at this time.
when asked about the apparent lack of media coverage he responded
they have have been getting calls from all the news agencies and
his response to them was the same as mine. fair enough.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread