breaking news,child dead after ingesting nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Most communities have poison control hot lines. Little Johnny ingests something that's not food so the parents call and ask what to do. The people on the other end make it their business to know about the items that can be found in the house and which ones are life threatening and which one's not so much. I wonder what the poison control folks expect if a kid drinks an 18ml bottle of juice with 2.4% nic.

The statistics cited about many calls to poison hotlines are just that, calls. They never say now many of those end up as ER vists nor how many of those end up as life threatening situations. Observing someone in the ER for a few hours and taking no other action does not qualify as a life threatening situation.

In the incident described in this thread the child was unresponsive when the police arrived meaning nobody witnessed the child ingest anything so the policeman who said it was injesting nic had no way of knowing that. In the mean time still no official cause of death.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
Hasn't been a very good month for those who are reporting news and have an agenda in the story they want to tell.

Problem is, if what happened turns out to be different than what was published, the original narrative is what was read first. From the day that story was published to the end of eternity you are going to hear about the child who died after drinking liquid nicotine. ..."a supplement to e-cigarettes". No amount of revision or redaction will change that. With the scant details available; I have to wonder why they even published "a supplement to e-cigarettes" tidbit.

ON EDIT: I did a cursory search to see if there is any new information available on this story and came across this:

thefix.com
/content/toddler-first-confirmed-death-liquid-nicotine

More jumping to conclusions...

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
To repeat, the child was "unresponsive" when the police arrived so they could not have witnessed what caused this condition. So far there is no official confirmation of cause of death.

I'm skeptical about this report because it seems to me that if a typical bottle of consumer e liquid was capable of causing death in infants we would have officially confirmed cases to read about before this one.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It's a shame and I feel bad for the family. There should have been safeguards taken by the parents.

Back in Aug a boy died in Florida after eating a laundry detergent pod. The story stated that more than 5,700 children under the age of 5 were exposed to the chemicals in the concentrated packets so far this year, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

The focus is just to drive their agenda and not to protect the children. If it was they would be talking about this problem and the 100's of fruity smelling household cleaners that people store under their kitchen sink. Cleansers that kill hundreds if not thousands of children every year.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The problem is, both statements are, in fact, true. They simply do not actually relate to this tragic event. Unless they had PURE nicotine in their house, which would be incredibly rare since the highest concentrations normally sold commercially would be 10%, or the 1yo/toddler/child went out and purchased the liquid.

I'm thinking half a tsp of PURE nicotine would kill ANYBODY. :facepalm:

This is as bad as that hawaii 5-0 episode last week, with the statement "highly concentrated nicotine is easily available nowadays, because of e-cigarettes." Horse manure. No lab anywhere would call a 10% concentration of ANYTHING "highly concentrated", and the only people likely to have 10% (100mg) nicotine in their homes are DIYers like those us here at ECF -- and we're certainly not "the norm." The rest have somewhere between .6% and 2.4%, maybe some 3.6% to 5.0% out there, but who, ANYWHERE, would consider those to be "highly concentrated?

Pure horse manure.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I've read several news stories and many comments. A few stories say it was 'liquid nicotine' but it is unsure whether it was connected to ecigarettes. Are there 'suppliments' that are similar - liquid nicotinic acid/niacin or others??? Only a few stories say anything about the parents. One story said 'members of the family' found the child unresponsive.....

One comment:
"I know the father, he called and told me what happened, The child was with the mother and her wife, it was laying out on the table and the child. Picked it up and drank it. She took him to the ER thinking he was just sick, and died later that night."

Whether true or not, or whether specifics were muddled - most report EMS took the child to the hospital - I suspect because of my earlier post on 'fine motor skills' at that age, that the bottle was opened and laying out. So no 'child proof cap' is going to 'fix' an open bottle.

JustMeB

Dec 1, 2014
PA-USA
When every there is any doubt about cause of death it is always investigated and determined officially. Sooner or later the police who handled the original call will get an official word. I'm waiting for that.

You may be waiting an awfully long time. (meaning, never) I think the initial story was published for the shock and coverage that it received. I doubt there will be a follow up story on it. As others have said, the story just didn't make complete sense. No one is going to now publish, "Oh yeah, we've made a mistake and it wasn't what we thought/said "

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You may be waiting an awfully long time. (meaning, never) I think the initial story was published for the shock and coverage that it received. I doubt there will be a follow up story on it. As others have said, the story just didn't make complete sense. No one is going to now publish, "Oh yeah, we've made a mistake and it wasn't what we thought/said "

And the "news" agencies will never be held accountable by the general public. Remember how many conclusions were mistakenly jumped to by the media after the Boston Marathon? There were a couple of apologies made, but the next day it was business as usual.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I've read several news stories and many comments. A few stories say it was 'liquid nicotine' but it is unsure whether it was connected to ecigarettes. Are there 'suppliments' that are similar - liquid nicotinic acid/niacin or others??? Only a few stories say anything about the parents. One story said 'members of the family' found the child unresponsive.....

One comment:
"I know the father, he called and told me what happened, The child was with the mother and her wife, it was laying out on the table and the child. Picked it up and drank it. She took him to the ER thinking he was just sick, and died later that night."

Whether true or not, or whether specifics were muddled - most report EMS took the child to the hospital - I suspect because of my earlier post on 'fine motor skills' at that age, that the bottle was opened and laying out. So no 'child proof cap' is going to 'fix' an open bottle.

the police,fire and ambulance were sent to the house.
mike

JustMeB

Dec 1, 2014
PA-USA
And the "news" agencies will never be held accountable by the general public. Remember how many conclusions were mistakenly jumped to by the media after the Boston Marathon? There were a couple of apologies made, but the next day it was business as usual.

Or the horrible news/media coverage of the Sandy Hook shooting. A completely intoxicated person from the bar could have walked a straighter line than that one did.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin

In some ways this is good news. Cause if anyone cites the 'story of the child who died from ingesting liquid nicotine,' one can play dumb. As in, "really, I can't believe that actually happened. Where did you see that?" And if that position of ignorance is met with someone actually digging up the article, then further digging is warranted to respond (likely within a day) with the additional known facts or items in dispute to then leave the person who made the original claim looking like they were passing along false information.

IMO, those who have an agenda with regards to this article appear to hold a winning hand, but in reality, don't have a leg to stand on.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
In some ways this is good news. Cause if anyone cites the 'story of the child who died from ingesting liquid nicotine,' one can play dumb. As in, "really, I can't believe that actually happened. Where did you see that?" And if that position of ignorance is met with someone actually digging up the article, then further digging is warranted to respond (likely within a day) with the additional known facts or items in dispute to then leave the person who made the original claim looking like they were passing along false information.

IMO, those who have an agenda with regards to this article appear to hold a winning hand, but in reality, don't have a leg to stand on.

i mentioned in an earlier post that i have contacted local authorities.
i am reasonably satisfied that what was reported by the authorities
is what the preliminary investigation indicated.
i have been checking local news sources daily for any additional details.
there have been none to date.i am assuming that the investigation is
still in progress.
i am also assuming there are details not being released to the general
public as the lack of a media feeding frenzy tends to mean they know
something we don't.
:2c:
regards
mike

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
i mentioned in an earlier post that i have contacted local authorities.
i am reasonably satisfied that what was reported by the authorities
is what the preliminary investigation indicated.
i have been checking local news sources daily for any additional details.
there have been none to date.i am assuming that the investigation is
still in progress.
i am also assuming there are details not being released to the general
public as the lack of a media feeding frenzy tends to mean they know
something we don't.
:2c:
regards
mike

for what it's worth, seems to me that the lack of a name of the victim raises suspicion.

How long has it been? A week? Still no name? If a child is dead, how come there is no name?

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
for what it's worth, seems to me that the lack of a name of the victim raises suspicion.

How long has it been? A week? Still no name? If a child is dead, how come there is no name?

They would not name an underage victim.

This is a terrible tragedy and I feel for the parents but what are we gonna do, ban life? Everything can kill anything if not used as intended. Except cigarettes..... They will kill you even when used as intended.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
They would not name an underage victim.

This is a terrible tragedy and I feel for the parents but what are we gonna do, ban life? Everything can kill anything if not used as intended. Except cigarettes..... They will kill you even when used as intended.

And when that happens you should ask yourself WHY.

This isn't a rape case. This is a homicide.
When you allow policies intended for one instance creep into other situations, it is a recipe for abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread