breaking news,child dead after ingesting nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
Thanks for trying Skoony.

This is an awful story, and I really hope we get the full details.

I don't accept that we should just shrug this off and say "it's like tide" - if it turns out e-liquid is dangerous to children (in a way that it is not to adults or adult smokers) we need to know about it and need, as a community, to start shouting about it.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California

I don't accept that we should just shrug this off and say "it's like tide" - if it turns out e-liquid is dangerous to children (in a way that it is not to adults or adult smokers) we need to know about it and need, as a community, to start shouting about it.

I agree, unfortunately we don't have the information needed to know if this should be a concern. The police should never have indicated nicotine poisoning, even if it was "apparent" without an official cause of death. I can't really blame the officer for parroting the "teaspoon can be fatal" bit, because I'm sure he's heard that multiple times from multiple sources, BUT there should have been no mention of poisoning and/or nicotine without a toxicology report.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

Ditto.
we need the facts.
a event such as this that has the potential in today's political climate
to become the biggest e-cig story of the year in a virtual media
black out.
perplexed in Minnesota regards,
mike

Whitewolf2014

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2014
South Central, PA, USA
It is a tragedy and my condolences go out to the family. Things like this shouldn't happen, but accidents do happen.

Ditto.
we need the facts.
a event such as this that has the potential in today's political climate
to become the biggest e-cig story of the year in a virtual media
black out.
perplexed in Minnesota regards,
mike

I was listening to the fda workshop audio from wed/thurs and heard one or two of the speakers mention this story. Good thing we don't have to worry about the fda making decisions without all facts and concerns being heard :facepalm:

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There's something just too fishy about this story.

When I was growing up in the 1940's and 1950's, Mother's Perfect Cure for Everything in my neighborhood was to make little Smedley or young Samantha blow chunks.

About half the households had Ipecac syrup; the other half soaked several cigarettes in a small amount of warm water. Both were equally effective.

I'm not talking about Double-Wide Land populated with Summer Teeth folks: the average family income was in the top 5% of the nation, and nearly all the mommies had college degrees.

As far as I remember, no one died from Mother's Perfect Cure, even those who were subjected to the ciggie-water treatment.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
i wish the "news" story would pick one word to use. "child, infant, AND toddler" can represent complete different age groups.

when i first read the article, "The INFANT was found unresponsive and rushed to a hospital where he was later pronounced dead." now it has changed?

needles tosay besides wording - what was that "child" doing being unmoniterted?

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
this is really odd. i checked the google today.
the only reporting is 2 days old now.
no get the expert on toxicology story.
no this is what happens when us evil doers are careless story.
no ANTZ hack job story.
no man on the street interviews.
what happened to all this for the children crap. you would
think with a chance like this the media would have their vans
lining the streets in front of the house.
this is a very strange situation.
it just occurred to me that no names at all have been mentioned.
the child might have privacy rights but,certainly not the adults.
has anyone picked up on a name associated with this story?
regards
mike

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
this is really odd. i checked the google today.
the only reporting is 2 days old now.
no get the expert on toxicology story.
no this is what happens when us evil doers are careless story.
no ANTZ hack job story.
no man on the street interviews.
what happened to all this for the children crap. you would
think with a chance like this the media would have their vans
lining the streets in front of the house.
this is a very strange situation.
it just occurred to me that no names at all have been mentioned.
the child might have privacy rights but,certainly not the adults.
has anyone picked up on a name associated with this story?
regards
mike

Post #46

...,” said Rodney Strait a neighbor to the family that lost their child

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
I saw it on ABCNews.com. Right up top as a main headline. Neither CBS nor Fox carried it. I commented below the article about parental responsibility, which is where I lay the problem. I think additional comments would be helpful.

i came across this already.
its just a recap from 2 days ago with a
bunch of rehashed anti ecig rhetoric.
mike

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
The main reason I made the 24hr comment is the study Vocalek referenced in this post;

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/media-general-news/490883-shockingly-bad-local-article-7.html#post11304013

Over 27 years there were 2 possible accidental deaths caused by nicotine ingestion, both involved other drugs that could stop the natural response which is heaving your guts out and removing the poison from your body.

I'll wait for the toxicology report and for once it looks like most news organizations are doing the same.

:vapor:

squee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
Central CT
Just read this article, which was linked to in a Gawker piece http://www.timesunion . com/local/article/Cops-Boy-died-after-swallowing-liquid-nicotine-5948066.php

But this one includes this tidbit:
"It does appear to be just a tragic accident," said village police Sgt. Austin Ryan, adding that the glass bottle containing the liquid nicotine did not have a childproof cap.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Just read this article, which was linked to in a Gawker piece http://www.timesunion . com/local/article/Cops-Boy-died-after-swallowing-liquid-nicotine-5948066.php

But this one includes this tidbit:

"It does appear to be just a tragic accident," said village police Sgt. Austin Ryan, adding that the glass bottle containing the liquid nicotine did not have a childproof cap.

This really means nothing. It's a bit of a stretch to say a 1 yr old has the fine motor skills to open a bottle with any cap. From the sites I found, at that age, they have just figured out that they can use the thumb and index finger opposed, and can squeeze well, but adding the middle finger is a bit older for a squeeze and turning. I'm sure that there are children that are above and below that curve but whether this is the case is not easily known because of the following..... And since the child presumably drank the eliquid, it is unlikely IF he was able to open the bottle, and then he then put the cap back on. So, it is very likely that the bottle was found open, with the 'non-childproof cap' nearby - which means that either the child opened the bottle - again, highly unlikely given the motor skills for that age, or the bottle was left open by the babysitter (if, as some have reported, it was, rather than the parents or grandparents).

It is unlikely that will ever be known (confessed) or reported, but the latter is, imo, the most likely scenario. IF that was known, then the spin on the story automatically goes to the babysitter, not the substance in the bottle, which in such a situation could be any harmful substance - drugs, drano, bleach, alcohol, etc. etc.

JustMeB

Dec 1, 2014
PA-USA

This really means nothing. It's a bit of a stretch to say a 1 yr old has the fine motor skills to open a bottle with any cap. From the sites I found, at that age, they have just figured out that they can use the thumb and index finger opposed, and can squeeze well, but adding the middle finger is a bit older for a squeeze and turning. I'm sure that there are children that are above and below that curve but whether this is the case is not easily known because of the following..... And since the child presumably drank the eliquid, it is unlikely IF he was able to open the bottle, and then he then put the cap back on. So, it is very likely that the bottle was found open, with the 'non-childproof cap' nearby - which means that either the child opened the bottle - again, highly unlikely given the motor skills for that age, or the bottle was left open by the babysitter (if, as some have reported, it was, rather than the parents or grandparents).

It is unlikely that will ever be known (confessed) or reported, but the latter is, imo, the most likely scenario. IF that was known, then the spin on the story automatically goes to the babysitter, not the substance in the bottle, which in such a situation could be any harmful substance - drugs, drano, bleach, alcohol, etc. etc.

I agree. I have a nephew that is 20 months old, he has played with my water bottle (with cap on) and he can't open it or hasn't even tried actually. When the cap is off, he isn't so good at drinking out of the bottle either, just splashes all over him and most doesn't even make it in his mouth. (The water bottle was small, only 8 oz)

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
after one week this story seems to be losing its legs.
some medical web sites are picking up on it.
a story 2 days ago posted in the New York Daily reported
that it could not be confirmed that nicotine was the cause.
they further stated the local police could not confirm that
said nicotine was made for use in e-cigs only that it was
in a glass bottle without a child proof cap.
my own research hasn't turned up anything of substance
other than whats in the initial reports. while perusing the
comments posted at the various stories and digging
around Montgomery county social media sites i came
across 2 posters claiming to be related and one claiming
to know the parents. interestingly enough none mentioned
the event on their own pages. not even a memorial.
still no obit to be found. i'll admit my google skills are not
what you would call very good.
no preliminary police or coroners reports.
the parents names haven't come up yet.
any police logs i can find don't mention the indecent.
other than this there doesn't seem to be any there,there.
perhaps in a week i'll call the local police again.
regards
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread