Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Lately my provari button has started acting up. It's like when I press it, it's not making contact very well. Sometimes when I am pressing the button it will fire on and off instead of a steady firing. This often makes it switch into menu mode while I am vaping, which is irritating. Is this something I can fix myself (like cleaning the contact or something) or do I need to send it in?

if I do send it in, any recommendations for a less expensive backup while I'm waiting? I have some fixed voltage go-go batteries and a few cartomizers that I could use if disaster struck, but they don't really satisfy me like the variable voltage does. I noticed some people talking about the vamo. Would that be a good option? I wouldn't mind having another provari, but I don't really have the funds at the moment.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Lately my provari button has started acting up. It's like when I press it, it's not making contact very well. Sometimes when I am pressing the button it will fire on and off instead of a steady firing. This often makes it switch into menu mode while I am vaping, which is irritating. Is this something I can fix myself (like cleaning the contact or something) or do I need to send it in?

if I do send it in, any recommendations for a less expensive backup while I'm waiting? I have some fixed voltage go-go batteries and a few cartomizers that I could use if disaster struck, but they don't really satisfy me like the variable voltage does. I noticed some people talking about the vamo. Would that be a good option? I wouldn't mind having another provari, but I don't really have the funds at the moment.

Oh, and I got the provari in January of 2012, so I don't think it's under warranty anymore.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I'd check with ProVape to verify the warrantee status before disassembling anything.

Assuming that it is out of warrantee... Go ahead and try to fix it yourself. ProVape doesn't repair their boards, they replace them. The price to repair will be the same weather it's broken a little or a lot.

It sounds like you may have a component that has a bad or broken solder joint that is causing an intermittent connection. Every time you bress the button you flex the board a bit. Over time this can cause solder joints to break. If you're good with a soldering iron you may in fact be able to fix it yourself, by reflowing the bad joint.

The two components I'd suspect first...
1) The button itself.
2) The inductor... The little black box next to the led display.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on reflowing surface mount components with a soldering iron.

Hope this helps...

tomaKBRN

ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Puerto Rico
I've had somewhat the same problem, my PV is less than 8 months old and sometimes it would fire un-consistently, other times it would enter the menu while trying to have a vape even. Once or twice I swear I've accessed the menu with less than 4 clicks from cold (not while vaping where the last one would count). I THINK that I've gotten too confident with the device and don't press it how it's meant to be pressed. Just putting my experience out there so maybe you have similar issue.
If not then I'm sure someone here will guide you through repairs :)
GL

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I would send your Provari to Provape and have them Fix It.

As to a VAMO... I bought one as and Out-n-About PV and as a Backup to my Provari. I'm am Very Happy with it.

My only complaint is the Threads on the Tube and End Cap were not very smooth. But a few rubs on the INSIDE Tube Diameter with some 400 Sand Paper and some Nolox really Helped.

Other than that, a VAMO would be a Good Choice.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I have a thread going on this and emailed ProVape. They said to pour a shot glass full of 99% isopropyl in the tube and swish. Battery out, obviously. I have not tried it yet but I plan to soon.

I read about the "bath" on the ProVape site. It's seems so counterintuitive, I don't think I could make myself try it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've done the Provari rinse with alcohol. I guarantee no problems; just shake as much out as you can and then allow it to evaporate dry.

Couple things to check on the Provari. Insure that the top connector pin is clean; you can use the isoalcohol for that. Also check the battery cap threads. If they are dark and gritty looking you will need to get an antioxidant to clean them. Noaloxx is what Provape recommends. You can purchase it on their website, or many hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes sell it.

The battery cap is part of the conduction circuit, and oxidation interferes with the Provari's electrical circuitry. I apply some Noaloxx about once a month as an anti-oxidant and thread lubricant. A little goes a long way; a small container should last you a lifetime so buy the smallest tube you can find. Apply some on the threads, work it in with a tooth brush, remove with a cloth, apply some more and work it in with the cap on the Provari, and remove with a cloth. The threads should look like bare steel and shiny. Noalox Thread Lubricant

noalox-2T.jpg

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
My button on one of mine has been acting up also. I cleaned it and it seemed to help but it's still misfiring. I just poured some 91% alcohol in it and shook it and poured it out. It's now on the window seal, with warm air blowing on it to dry. If this doesn't help, I'll have to send it in. Mine started doing it right around the time I started using mesh rebuildables. I'm seeing quite a few posts about this and this is something I haven't seen too much of in the past. I'm wondering if, for some reason, the rebuildables are having something to do with it. But since Provape is now selling a rebuildable, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm... my window has clouded up. and the light still blinks.. so I clouded my window and didn't fix my problem.

I just submitted a request at Provape :(

Last edited:

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I've done the Provari rinse with alcohol. I guarantee no problems; just shake as much out as you can and then allow it to evaporate dry.

Couple things to check on the Provari. Insure that the top connector pin is clean; you can use the isoalcohol for that. Also check the battery cap threads. If they are dark and gritty looking you will need to get an antioxidant to clean them. Noaloxx is what Provape recommends. You can purchase it on their website, or many hardware stores like Home Depot or Lowes sell it.

The battery cap is part of the conduction circuit, and oxidation interferes with the Provari's electrical circuitry. I apply some Noaloxx about once a month as an anti-oxidant and thread lubricant. A little goes a long way; a small container should last you a lifetime so buy the smallest tube you can find. Apply some on the threads, work it in with a tooth brush, remove with a cloth, apply some more and work it in with the cap on the Provari, and remove with a cloth. The threads should look like bare steel and shiny. Noalox Thread Lubricant

View attachment 197935

I've done all the cleaning and it hasn't helped. When you did the alcohol wash... did your window cloud up and if so, how did you get it clear?

Also.. fyi.. a small tube of noalox can be bought at Lowes for $3, it's twice that for the same tube on the Provape site.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I wrote to provape and they did suggest the alcohol rinse. I've ordered some 99% isopropyl and I'll do the rinse when it gets here. The misfiring has gotten worse and worse over the past few days.

My end cap threads don't look too dirty, but I will clean them well later today just to be sure. I use boge cartos, not rebuildables, so that's. not an issue for mine.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I got the isopropyl alcohol in the mail today. I didn't realize I had ordered a spray can, so I had to squirt the stuff in rather than pour, LOL. it also has difluoroethane in it, but seems to be okay. Amazon had it listed as 99.9% isopropyl, but the can didn't say. It did evaporate crazy fast though. I rinsed it out twice, scrubbed the endcap threads with a nail brush, and put it in my food dehydrator on the lowest setting with the lid cracked. It seemed dry within a few minutes, but I let it go about 45 minutes just to be sure. The provari seems to be working well now. I hope this solves the issue!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Ive come to the conclusion that it didn't really help mine either. It seemed to help temporarily, but now it's back and wonkier than ever. I guess I will have to send it in, but I need to get a backup before I do that. I'm trying to decide whether to just bite it and get another provari or get something else VV that's cheaper.

JJOOHHNN

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Not possible, Provari's never break they are the best made PVs on earth.

/sarcasm

Sure it is possible. Things do go wrong with everything. When I was making my choice I did look at how many people had issues. There are Provari owners that have had issues and I found several that did. I just found more when I was reading the other sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread