Can you really clean atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

teardrop88

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
USA
What do you mean by really clean? Yeah, there are many methods posted here on the forums that do that job.

Over time with use, a buildup of juice will form in the atomizer. Some model's batteries have a self-cleaning cycle that will heat up the atomizer to burn off the deposit (at least some).

My M401 doesn't, so about once every other week, I take my atomizer(s) and soak them in rubbing alcohol for a few hours, then I rinse, and soak in cola overnight. The next day, I take my atomizers and rinse them thoroughly with warm water and blow them out and let them dry. Then when the atomizers are ready, I prime them by dripping about 4 drops of juice and take a couple quick puffs, then I proceed to add a drop and go from there.

This method seems to work pretty well. I'm sure other posts on the tips section of the forums would work well too. This gets the atomizer's vapor production back to par, and will hopefully extended the life of them.

Shadowdr

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2009
Nashville Tn.
Now I don't know about the atomizer yet because I have only had it three weeks, but when I clean a pipe with metal parts I always use Nail polish remover. It just melts the black goo out, no pipe cleaners no brushes, nothing. Just rinse with hot water to remove the remover residue and she is ready to smoke after drying. This is the only thing I have ever found that actually melts the tar residue inside.

I will get some spare parts in the next few days and can try it out then, but I have no doubt it will work. Do this over the sink as the liquid comes out very nasty and will stain anthing it touches.

Last edited:

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Sure fire, 100% proven method to clean any atomizer. Buy a new atomizer. There are so many retailers available through this forum it is impossible to NOT find stuff dirt cheap.

DW

DW--that is a theory we would all like to employ--but with a ban looming us in the face--now is the time to work on methods to make them last-----------------Sun

Rexa

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
New York City
Now I don't know about the atomizer yet because I have only had it three weeks, but when I clean a pipe with metal parts I always use Nail polish remover. It just melts the black goo out, no pipe cleaners no brushes, nothing. Just rinse with hot water to remove the remover residue and she is ready to smoke after drying. This is the only thing I have ever found that actually melts the tar residue inside.

I will get some spare parts in the next few days and can try it out then, but I have no doubt it will work. Do this over the sink as the liquid comes out very nasty and will stain anthing it touches.

Nail polish remover does the darnest things :D I would be very interested in hearing if someone's used it on an atomiser.

Jim Davis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Retired in Houston, Texas / USA
Nail polish remover does the darnest things :D I would be very interested in hearing if someone's used it on an atomiser.

Nail Polish Remover is basically acetone. That's some nasty stuff. Acetone is used to make crystal ..... I don't know what could be used rinse the atomizer clean after cleaning. I think the most important thing is if acetone leaves a residue after evaporating. If it evaporates clean, it may be OK to use.

I soak mine in hot lemon juice for about 15 minutes, then rinse it under hot water for a minute or two, and let it dry out. Works for me.

Withnail

Feb 26, 2009
Nail Polish Remover is basically acetone. That's some nasty stuff. Acetone is used to make crystal ..... I don't know what could be used rinse the atomizer clean after cleaning. I think the most important thing is if acetone leaves a residue after evaporating. If it evaporates clean, it may be OK to use.

I soak mine in hot lemon juice for about 15 minutes, then rinse it under hot water for a minute or two, and let it dry out. Works for me.

Actually acetone is not harmful to the health as long as basic sensible precautions are taken.

Acetone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Acetone is believed to exhibit only slight toxicity in normal use, and there is no strong evidence of chronic health effects if basic precautions are followed.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida

Thanks for some common sense Jim. People, the emplyment of acetone to try to clean an atomizer that you are going to vape out of is just plan wrong. Please stay within the limits of common sense!!! We do not what to see anyone get hurt!! Thank you---Sun

Withnail

Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for some common sense Jim. People, the emplyment of acetone to try to clean an atomizer that you are going to vape out of is just plan wrong. Please stay within the limits of common sense!!! We do not what to see anyone get hurt!! Thank you---Sun

Actually he's wrong. Acetone is non-toxic. If you use it, just rinse your atomizers through with some water and you're good to go.

Do you seriously think acetone is any more 'toxic' than propylene glycol lol!

Last edited:

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
DW--that is a theory we would all like to employ--but with a ban looming us in the face--now is the time to work on methods to make them last-----------------Sun
Yes, one day e-cigarettes might be as banned as online poker.

I never missed a day of online poker and I will never miss a day of e-smoking unless I want to.

Maybe one day E-cigs will be outlawed like pot... OH WAIT.... I smoke that every day and only miss it when I want to.

Maybe one day the reach of the FDA will extend outside the united states and the many established businesses will give the slightest trace of a crap what the FDA has to say but I am inclined to say monkeys will be flying out of my .... before that happens. So since the FDA has pretty much zero authority over business outside the united states they will never be able to ban electronic cigarettes.

Not unless you want them to and impose a ban on yourself.

DW

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
Actually he's wrong. Acetone is non-toxic. If you use it, just rinse your atomizers through with some water and you're good to go.

Do you seriously think acetone is any more 'toxic' than propylene glycol lol!

Don't think a small amount of acetone is going to hurt you,
but it likely to dissolve certain plastic parts of the atomizer,
or at least leach out stuff you don't want to vape.

jimson

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Arizona
Yes, one day e-cigarettes might be as banned as online poker.

I never missed a day of online poker and I will never miss a day of e-smoking unless I want to.

Maybe one day E-cigs will be outlawed like pot... OH WAIT.... I smoke that every day and only miss it when I want to.

Maybe one day the reach of the FDA will extend outside the united states and the many established businesses will give the slightest trace of a crap what the FDA has to say but I am inclined to say monkeys will be flying out of my .... before that happens. So since the FDA has pretty much zero authority over business outside the united states they will never be able to ban electronic cigarettes.

Not unless you want them to and impose a ban on yourself.

DW

That may be true, however it will be very likely that parts will become more scarce and more expensive and since atomizers and batts are not all interchangable, parts for certain devices may become unobtainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread