CBS requests information from DC area vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
I think I would have to buy some sort of converter to do this. I'll keep looking to see what I can find. We have a Panasonic DVD burner, TiVo type thing, but I could never figure out how to transfer stuff from the DVR to the DVD burner. It ought to be possible,mbut my husband rolls his eyes whenever I mention trying it again.

It was a really crap story though, not really worth the effort. No interviews shown at all.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Last edited:

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
That's the one, although Dr. Polosa's segment is awfully brief. :( I believe I caught a glimpse of just a portion of Vocalek's lower face and mouth as well, as she takes a puff.

I wonder if different stations may be editing it as they want, and whether there may exist a longer version.

Edit: I'm referring to your first link above Spazmelda - the reporter Vocalek met with was named Susan.

Last edited:

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
That's the one, although Dr. Polosa's segment is awfully brief. :( I believe I caught a glimpse of a just a portion of Vocalek's lower face and mouth as well, as she takes a puff.

I wonder if different stations may be editing it as they want, and whether there may exist a longer version.

I think that must be the case. I'll have to watch the one that aired here again, but I think the first guy (the one walking around with the e-cig) was in the one I saw, but I don't think they showed him speaking at all. Just looked like some random guy walking around vaping.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Edit: I only saw the last half of the story, there was some good in it. I would really enjoy being able to see story ecig vs real cigs. I almost feel that I can see what is ahead of us once the FDA gets more involved and does its regulation, prefilled cartos will be all that we have, this is a real shame.

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
What can CASSA do, well just my own opinion but I would think that they could set up there own interviews and make there own story. Showing all the positives that ecigs have vs real cigs, and get a reporter to cover the story so we could control the story. Heck the FDA and all the Anti's have been putting out there BS Stories for years now with nothing but negative, so I feel we need to combat that with nothing but the positives. Just my personal opinion, and to be very honest I'm a little bit let down that CASSA isnt doing more, and by this I mean positive news stories about the ecig and getting it televised by a news reporter. There is a way to fight fire with fire against the FDA, and not even mentioning them in a story and showing the positives of ecig use vs a real cig, and big pharmas products = Win

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I think that must be the case. I'll have to watch the one that aired here again, but I think the first guy (the one walking around with the e-cig) was in the one I saw, but I don't think they showed him speaking at all. Just looked like some random guy walking around vaping.

That's what my local segment was, too. They didn't show any of Justin or Dr. Polosa's interview and pretty much just spoke over a small bit of the video about the FDA. This is a transcript I took of what the local version of the story was:

Millions of Americans have used electronic cigarettes. They're considered to be a safe alternative to cigarettes. A recent study in Italy even found e-cigarettes helped smokers cut the number of cigarettes they smoked in half and many even kicked the habit. But not everyone is convinced. Some groups say they contain chemicals that are toxic and could cause cancer. Erika Swar: "You just should not inhale something into your lungs until it is proven to be safe." The FDA says it will propose a rule to regulate e-cigarettes the way it does other tobacco products.

Not very good at all. :(

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
positive news stories about the ecig and getting it televised by a news reporter.

If you know how to make this happen, we'd honestly love to hear it. It's not like we haven't tried to have this done, but the reporters and editors decide whether or not to do a story.

Don't forget that the ANTZ and FDA have millions of dollars, lobbyists, publicists and relationships with reporters to get their propaganda out. CASAA doesn't have those kinds of resources.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Good suggestion, twinmommyaandb. And we have contacted just about anyone and everyone we've come across that we thought would do a favorable show - most of the TV personality doctors (including The Doctors show) and a few talk show hosts and news personalities like Rush Limbaugh (who vapes) and John Stossel (who did a great piece on e-cigs but didn't talk to us.) We never hear anything back. If we hadn't been involved with this story, it probably wouldn't have been nearly as balanced as it was and she certainly wouldn't have known about the Italian study or interviewed Dr. Polosa.

We need to get more established as an influential organization and more funding to afford premium press releases and maybe even a publicist. More influential members stepping up for CASAA and making connections would help, as well. Vapers can also contact their own local media. There's only so much a board made up of 9 or 10 volunteers with limited funds can do, you know?

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Everything was done possible for this interview I believe. It just shows how bias the news really is..

And it's extremely disappointing. After Elaine met with the reporter, we were very excited because we thought we'd finally have a positive (or at least much more balanced than this) story with CASAA being interviewed on a national news network and its affiliates - basically we thought we were doing what mwa102464 is complaining we don't do. Elaine even jumped through hoops to get there for the interview. Imagine how she and the rest of the board are feeling right now. :(

twinmommyaandb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Hickory
And it's extremely disappointing. After Elaine met with the reporter, we were very excited because we thought we'd finally have a positive (or at least much more balanced than this) story with CASAA being interviewed on a national news network and its affiliates - basically we thought we were doing what mwa102464 is complaining we don't do. Elaine even jumped through hoops to get there for the interview. Imagine how she and the rest of the board are feeling right now. :(
Honestly I feel if mwa102464 he/she can do better then have at it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
to be very honest I'm a little bit let down that CASSA isnt doing more
I would suggest your feelings are directly at entirely the wrong group of people...
In my opinion you should be let down at the vaping community for not supporting CASAA more.

And anyone (that can afford to do so) that has not donated to CASAA has nobody but themselves to blame.

CASAA has done an amazing job with the shoestring budget they have to work with.
And they have had far more success and impact than any of us has any right to expect from them.

At least that's my opinion.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't think it was that bad. They could've edited the vapers into being nose picking ....... Instead it was left at he said - she said, "this is great, it got me off smoking" and "more testing needs to be done".
I think anyone who is at least a little skeptical about big government and alphabet soup is going to be scratching their head on why would the ALA wants people to continue smoking. Even my sister who is very much an ANTZ consoled me when I couldn't do 0mg and told me even with nicotine it has to be better than smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread