Chameleon Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
To check the button for functionality by using the sound feature in multimeter's. By setting the multimeter to the sound icon, that emits sound from the device upon a completed connection. Connect the needles to the specified prongs, then depress the Chameleon's button. If there is sound, the button is well, if no sounds is emitted, then the button is bad.

Button configuration:
First we have to prep our new functional button, by using needle nose pliers. The prongs that are on the fresh button are crooked and must be flattened. By using the pliers against the each of the four prongs (the long way) press down with the pliers to make the prongs flat. Once flat, grab hold of each prong with the pliers and give them a 108 degrees turn (towards the outside) till the prong is angled. I modified the photo to show more detail.
4dfe49d0.jpg

With the button setup in this configuration, it is ready to be inserted into the sector #6.

29eaf885.jpg

Holding #6 button sector, Place #5 (flat plastic washer) down at the bottom.
Then take your modified button. Hold it, by the prongs that are raised in the air and set into it's central location. With the flat side of the prongs resting on #5 plastic washer ring.

Then take #2 Half brass ring and set it onto the prongs. From the bottom of the button sector #6, insert #11 and #10. By holding #2 down with a screwdriver, it will enable #10 to be properly installed.

If you notice #7, it has a certain cut at the bottom. Slide in, against #6 inner wall, cut side down.

Apply #3, thin plastic layer. Then Apply #2, other half moon. Bend the button's prongs to lay flat against the newly installed #2. Once flat, install #8 then #9.

Lastly apply #12 (the lid) and your remaining #10. Screw down. Done.

The reason why this Could void the warranty, is because if any parts are lost in this DIY repair, they cannot be obtained by us or the manufacture and will need to be found via online or hardware store.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Ah ha! This is why I missed you!! lol

Here's another odd tip for you Chameleon owners, for the first time my unit was mis-firing today, not bad for how long I had it personally. I checked all the connections, checked the voltages,checked the atomizer..stumped. For some reason I took the average caveman response and I shook it once, bam, works like a champ now :lol:

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
I ordered a combo battery kit that has rcr123a 3.0 750 mah's & charger..will these work without frying my atomizers? I'm not stacking them for 5v, just using single/1 bat on the (soon to be) my Chameleon?:confused:

You'll probably want to use a single 3.7v battery.

I think that most attys won't heat up enough on a 3.0v source to work as intended (although, I haven't tried this, but I think the m401 atty might actually work on a single 3.0v batt). Two stacked 3.0v batts are generally used to get into the HV 6v range.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Iken a simple jewelry polishing cloth works great on brass and any soft metal, take a little elbow grease with the buffing but the end result is very shiny, I have on and use it on my silver necklace and brass fitting on my hunting knife and other soft metals I have... You can get them right at the Wal-Mart jewelry section.

But with the crud you are seeing on the adapters I would use Carb & Choke Cleaner on them first, then the polishing cloth. I guarantee great results!!!

I think you can get Carb $ Choke Cleaner at Wal-Mart automotive section or at any automotive store and most gas stations. Brakeleen is also a good and strong spray cleaner but C&C cleaner should work the best because as a mechanic I use it on brass carburetor parts (like fuel jets) that get gummed up from old and setting gas all the time and it works great. Also be careful with it because it will dry your skin out a little if you get it on you too bad.

SIDE NOTE:
That is the same "style" switch I just made a mod with.. MY Duracell Mode:
svkjr4.jpg

Last edited:

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Iken a simple jewelry polishing cloth works great on brass and any soft metal, take a little elbow grease with the buffing but the end result is very shiny, I have on and use it on my silver necklace and brass fitting on my hunting knife and other soft metals I have... You can get them right at the Wal-Mart jewelry section.

But with the crud you are seeing on the adapters I would use Carb & Choke Cleaner on them first, then the polishing cloth. I guarantee great results!!!

I think you can get Carb $ Choke Cleaner at Wal-Mart automotive section or at any automotive store and most gas stations. Brakeleen is also a good and strong spray cleaner but C&C cleaner should work the best because as a mechanic I use it on brass carburetor parts (like fuel jets) that get gummed up from old and setting gas all the time and it works great. Also be careful with it because it will dry your skin out a little if you get it on you too bad.

SIDE NOTE:
That is the same "style" switch I just made a mod with.. MY Duracell Mode:
svkjr4.jpg

Carb & Choke cleaner huh? Sounds brilliant Chevy! I'll check my basement, I believe I should have some of that! Should've knew this beings on how i was once a mechanic for 6 years LOL
Thanks for the tip and contribution to the thread! Your going to be one happy Chameleon owner soon buddy!, I wouldn't recommend using it on the the Chameleon's body though, their scaly skin is sensitive meaning it and has been anodized for a smooth satin feel and not to mention scratch proof. ;)

Your side note is a great one! Sweeet Mod!!!

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I used a soft electric toothbrush head and Sensodyne toothpaste and cleaned the brass adapters. They came out looking like new. For the body I just wipe it down everyday with a baby wipe and dry it with a soft cloth. 2 months with it and it has been knocked off my desk dozens of times. Kept in a pouch and scractched against by two of the LPVs and it only has one microscopic scratch on it. The finish on the body is amazing! It really stands up to abuse.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Carb & Choke cleaner huh? Sounds brilliant Chevy! I'll check my basement, I believe I should have some of that! Should've knew this beings on how i was once a mechanic for 6 years LOL
Thanks for the tip and contribution to the thread! Your going to be one happy Chameleon owner soon buddy!, I wouldn't recommend using it on the the Chameleon's body though, their scaly skin is sensitive meaning it and has been anodized for a smooth satin feel and not to mention scratch proof. ;)

Yeah geeze Carb & Choke cleaner on the satin finish wouldn't work out so good, I agree... :lol:

Wouldn't be so scratch resistant after the finish was melted away :( :p

Thanks about the Mod, worked pretty hard on it, it was my first one. Someone actually want me to make one for them. I have two models of it, I made a regular one that uses the stock 3.7-4.2volt 1150 mAh battery and it charges with a mini USB port and cord.

The other version is a Pass through (one in the picture) that I can run at 5v or 6v, I can switch the voltage with useing RCA cables for adapters on the different plug-ins... I love it for a home made device!!

Last edited:

aspen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Ca.
Yeah geeze Carb & Choke cleaner on the satin finish wouldn't work out so good, I agree... :lol:

Wouldn't be so scratch resistant after the finish was melted away :( :p

Thanks about the Mod, worked pretty hard on it, it was my first one. Someone actually want me to make one for them. I have two models of it, I made a regular one that uses the stock 3.7-4.2volt 1150 mAh battery and it charges with a mini USB port and cord.

The other version is a Pass through (one in the picture) that I can run at 5v or 6v, I can switch the voltage with useing RCA cables for adapters on the different plug-ins... I love it for a home made device!!

Nice looking device you made there Chev. Love the fact your thinking outside the pack or tube and I think it's a beauty. I'm not suprised someone wants you to make one, it's slick and sleek looking.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME

Oh IKEN don't forget that the Carb & Choke will only work for getting the crud off you will need that jewelry cloth for the polishing to make them shiny and new looking, the cloth is right at Wal-Mart in jewelry section and it works great on all soft metals.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
I used a soft electric toothbrush head and Sensodyne toothpaste and cleaned the brass adapters. They came out looking like new. For the body I just wipe it down everyday with a baby wipe and dry it with a soft cloth. 2 months with it and it has been knocked off my desk dozens of times. Kept in a pouch and scractched against by two of the LPVs and it only has one microscopic scratch on it. The finish on the body is amazing! It really stands up to abuse.
WWay! I'm happy to report the toothbrush and Sensodyne method worked beautifully! +1 Sweetheart! I didn't use an electric head so it was manual all the way lol. Sounds awful when said that way. :blush: Anyway I have a super clean index finger and thumb to boot!
4ad5726c.jpg

I really should've taken before pictures, but I didn't want to make anyone to feel sick. :D
Oh IKEN don't forget that the Carb & Choke will only work for getting the crud off you will need that jewelry cloth for the polishing to make them shiny and new looking, the cloth is right at Wal-Mart in jewelry section and it works great on all soft metals.
Ah Chevy, I just went to look for it, but to no avail. I could've sworn that I had it, it's probably back in the shed. I'll try to take a look tomorrow. The 901 is needing a good clean.

WitchWay

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
WWay! I'm happy to report the toothbrush and Sensodyne method worked beautifully! +1 Sweetheart! I didn't use an electric head so it was manual all the way lol. Sounds awful when said that way. :blush: Anyway I have a super clean index finger and thumb to boot!

I'm glad it worked for you! Actually I believe any toothpaste should work, that's just what I happen to have. As for having clean fingers... I have used toothpate on my fingernails for years to keep them white! When I smoked it kept the yellow tar stains off them and even though I don't have the problem anymore I still use toothpate to clean under my nails to keep them white.

chev327fox

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2010
Nowheresville, ME
Ah Chevy, I just went to look for it, but to no avail. I could've sworn that I had it, it's probably back in the shed. I'll try to take a look tomorrow. The 901 is needing a good clean.
Don't forget the polishing cloth it is the better half of the equation if you ask me, makes it all nice and shiny with a little polishing. There are two sides to the cloth, on for polishing and one for buffing. The polishing usually take a good 10mins or so but it is sooo worth it. Makes old soft metal look brand new again.

WWay! I'm happy to report the toothbrush and Sensodyne method worked beautifully! +1 Sweetheart! I didn't use an electric head so it was manual all the way lol. Sounds awful when said that way. Anyway I have a super clean index finger and thumb to boot!

Lol... I think I just peed a little... :lol: :lol: J/K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread