Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I went to the barn early this morning to see how Penny was and to put her blanket back on, since it's supposed to rain & then snow tonight. They say an inch. It may melt fast, though. Penny's right hind near the stifle seems sore. When I touched it, even lightly, she moved away. The vet is coming tomorrow for spring shots, so I'll have her check it out. The dad and I turned the horses out in one of the pastures instead of the little area by the barn. That area still needs work, and the pastures are probably safer and smoother, though they are wet, as is everything these days, since the snow has been melting. We still have snow on the ground in spots where it's shady or where it was in a mound from plowing.

But I did see my first spring flowers: snowdrops near the barn owners' house.

This afternoon, I wanted to see our local big waterfall. I saw it from the overlook ...

... but the path below up to the base is still closed. From above, it looked icy on the trail.

Upstream, the water was rushing, all swollen from melting snow and last night's rain.

There were lots of neat icicles hanging from the gorge walls, water dripping through.

So that's my day. I sure hope Penny isn't seriously injured, just sore, and she'll heal quickly.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
We had another adventure this evening. Penny was down in the pasture and couldn't get up. I called the vet. She gave Penny a shot of banamine and then when it took effect, we got Penny up, with 3 people pushing at her back to help her. I'm to give her bute twice a day for a while and see how she does. If we can't get her to heal and be able to get up, we'll have to put her down. This is very depressing, as you can imagine. Please send vibes that the bute works, and Penny doesn't get stuck again.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
We had another adventure this evening. Penny was down in the pasture and couldn't get up.....This is very depressing, as you can imagine. Please send vibes that the bute works, and Penny doesn't get stuck again.
Ohhh! Sandy, that is scary news. I am praying. I know how much she means to you.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
If the lumen output isn't listed and they won't answer when you ask, I don't buy them. Lowes has had some fairly inexpensive, $6 or $7, dimmable 60 watt that I've been buying. Another thing is LED bulbs are bigger than incandescent and that makes the a tuff fit in some applications, like a fan/light in the bathroom. The 40, 60 and 75 watt seem a little bigger than an A40 (standard incandescent size) and the 100 is definitely larger. I guess it's a function of the electronics needed to run them.

haha maybe that's why they're bigger. Standard incandescent lamps are A19 or E26. I've been using E27 (1mm bigger than E26) and haven't run into that yet (they seem the same). They've been coming out with more efficient LEDs too, so they won't have to cram so many into a single lamp to make up the lumens.

Last edited:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Yes, maybe the heat dissipation of the electronics. The "ballast" in that floodlight is mounted in a large, cast, finned, box for that reason, but I haven't noticed anything like the heat level of an incandescent coming off an LED bulb. That's one reason why they're so much more efficient, very little wasted energy being dissipated as heat. If I remember correctly a 100 watt incandescent bulb dissipates about 80 or 90 watts of heat and actually produces 10 or 20 watts of light.

What really bugs me is that I used to be able to buy incandescent bulbs for eleven to 17 cents a piece when I worked in the electrical supply house. My stomach acid goes up every time I buy another LED bulb, LOL.

Halogens were the worst. They got so hot that they used to be advertised as combination light-heat lamps.

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
We had another adventure this evening. Penny was down in the pasture and couldn't get up. I called the vet. She gave Penny a shot of banamine and then when it took effect, we got Penny up, with 3 people pushing at her back to help her. I'm to give her bute twice a day for a while and see how she does. If we can't get her to heal and be able to get up, we'll have to put her down. This is very depressing, as you can imagine. Please send vibes that the bute works, and Penny doesn't get stuck again.

So sorry to hear that, Sandy - can't even imagine how devastating that must be for you.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good moring, Voltvillians.

We are having a total lunar eclipse here. Pretty cool.

I got the entire front "riverbed" cleaned out and weeded yesterday. Two loads in the wheel barrow. It was a mess.

I'm working on my list of things to do today. I think I'll wait to clean the critter pens until Hubby is home tomorrow. I like it when he pushes the wheel barrow.

Not to worry, I'll have plenty to do today even if I don't clean the pens. I probably should work on the irrigation system some more. I'm almost done up front and on the east side. My irrigation supplies have arrived so no excuses:)

I can always do some more weeding. I still haven't made any ejuice.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
moanin', Voltatics.

Lizzie, you really do have your priorities messed up! Mixing some liquid is always at the top of the list of things to do. What if you were to run out?

Sandy, maybe the bute will help Penny, I sure hope so. I know if I get cold I get stiff and have a hard time moving and I'll bet the same is true of any mammal. A horse, being heavier than a human would probably suffer those effects in a more pronounced way. Maybe it's just a combination of smaller things that got to her.

I was going to work outside today but the wind is really howling, as in 30mph sustained with gusts, probably, around 50mph. I guess I'll do some laundry and vacuum instead.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I went to the barn this morning to give Penny her morning dose of bute and groom her for a long time. I think the IV banamine the vet gave her yesterday hadn't worn off when I first got there, and the bute isn't as strong, because as I was grooming, she did start acting a bit more touchy about that right hind leg. She's to stay in the barn today, but she has access to both stalls and the bit of barn aisle between, so she can move around a bit. Still, when I finished grooming her and let her go, she stood with her head out the half door to the outside, with Jasmine looking in at her from outside. Obviously, Penny couldn't understand why she couldn't go out, too.

I thought I'd attempt cleaning out her feet today while she's got painkillers in her, and that left hind foot is still a problem, though rubbing her leg helped. She finally picked it up for me.

I think, when we turn them out together in the big pasture tomorrow, that will be the test, because she likes lying down for a rest in the pasture. Maybe she didn't lie down in her stall last night, or, if she did, the banamine allowed her to get up again without much pain. So we're not out of the woods yet, but I feel more hopeful than yesterday evening.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Good night early. I may be back, but it seems slow tonight, so maybe not. Here are blossoms to try to hurry spring along. I don't know ... it snowed this morning, though nothing stuck on the ground, and today was sunny & breezy. So anyway, blossoms for my hopes that spring will come soon.

Penny seemed fine this evening, though she resisted taking her medicine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, she's still on her feet. Tomorrow, they'll get turned out in the pasture again, which will be the true test, since she likes to lie down outside. I think it's supposed to rain, though, so maybe she'll find snoozing less tempting. I'd like her to have a few more days before she gets down again. Maybe by then she won't be so sore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread