Chit Chat in VOLTVILLE Thread #2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Penny the horse seems to be doing fine. Today was warm and sunny, and the horses were out on pasture, not in the little muddy paddock by the barn. I thought for sure Penny would try to lie down and worried that if she did, would she be able to get up again? Still, she'll need to lie down soon, and she didn't today, much to my surprise. I wonder if she remembers her troubles and is now afraid to lie down. Horses need to sleep soundly lying down, so it worries me a little. But at least we haven't had another emergency. I guess I should be grateful.

It's funny. Jasmine, who wants to put her nose into everything and thinks my sole purpose in life is to bring carrots to horses, is very interested in what I stick into Penny's mouth twice a day. It's bute, which doesn't taste good, and Penny would rather not have it stuffed into her mouth, though she's been good about it. She gets a carrot after, so she has nice memories of me. So Jasmine wants bute, too. When I went to the barn this morning, the horses were already out in the pasture, and I went there to give Penny the bute and remove her blanket. I had some bute paste stuck on my fingers after giving it to Penny, and I let Jasmine sniff it and then give it a lick. Maybe that quelled her interest. I think she was surprised that it wasn't something good to eat. I told her it wasn't something she'd want, but she had to see for herself.

I tutored today, and the little girl read something about another child writing to the mayor of her city. Then she asked me about Ithaca's mayor. I didn't know much about him except that he had an unusual name that I didn't quite remember. So her reading Wednesday will be about him, and it turns out he's a remarkable guy. If you want to read his inspiring rags-to-riches story, see Svante Myrick: How a child of modest means became Ithaca's youngest mayor-elect | syracuse.com This was written right after he was elected, but it's interesting, nonetheless.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
I finally got started on the yard clean-up. It was in the mid 70's yesterday and after taking care of some inside stuff in the morning, I got outside and started working on the flower beds. Today it was even warmer and I finished the larger area I started yesterday and started on another one. I was planning on raking a couple of small areas as well, but the rain interrupted my progress. It was nice to be able to work outside, in shorts, and not freeze in the process.

It's supposed to be cool/cold and rainy tomorrow and Thursday so it looks like Friday will be my next opportunity.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Pretty much took yesterday off. Nice. One of my clients called and wanted to know if she could switch to Thursday instead of Friday this week. With Two cleaning days in a row, I am extra glad I took yesterday off.

With the weather being cold and windy, I finally stayed indoors and made of ejuice in five flavors and two strengths totaling nine bottles @ 30 ml each. That's a lotta ejuice:) M type, rl4, 555, English tobacco and one bottle of 12 mg cinnamon Danish...nom, nom. I'll be adding fruit flavors to the m-type later.

My neighbor came by with some split pea soup she made. I was so thrilled since that meant I didn't have to cook dinner:)

I ordered what I hope is my last order of irrigation supplies for this year. I had to order two more full flow timers as well. I split the large West or Street Zone into two zones so I needed one timer there. Last year I split the North or Back Zone into two zones but I left the zones on one main line with a Y. That means I had to go out and switch the in-line valves. So, I bought another timer for that area and will be reconfiguring the tubing to really be two separate zones.

Hubby says he will help me put all these timers and pressure regulators and such together. There is a bunch of pipe threads and I suck at Teflon tape. The whole thing ends up being hose thread - pipe thread - pipe thread - hose thread...so confusing.I got a new pressure valve that can remain under pressure and that means it can go on before the timers. That means instead of two or three pressure valves on a zone...one for each irrigation line, I can have one pressure valve before the lines split. Nice!

It is a chilly morning again at 32 degrees. It was cloudy yesterday and the greenhouse didn't warm up so I brought my trays of seedlings into the house and put them on the kitchen counter by the back door. They can stay there for a day or two until it warms up again.

The lilacs are starting to bloom and the daffodils are looking so pretty and yellow. The crabapples are really looking good this year. Let's hope we get through these last few chilly nights with most of the plants unscathed. The daylilies look pretty unhappy about the cold and the black locust got their leaves frozen last week. I think both of those type of plants will recover nicely but it is always a setback to get frozen.

We call Willie the dog with the iron bladder. The dogs are all inside by 8pm and then Willie does not want to go outside again in the morning with the other two big dogs at 4:30am when Hubby leaves. She goes back to sleep on the big dog pillow in the office until I go out to feed the horses and goats at 6:30 or 7am.

How's everyone doing out there? I see you have been super busy with your yard, Awsum.

Is it spring yet in the rest of the Volt world?

How are your plants doing, Trit?

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
moanin', Volties.

It's kind of cool, 43, and overcast this morning. It rained overnight but isn't raining now. It's supposed to rain this afternoon. I've got to do some paperwork, AKA bills, and then go to the post orifice. After that I'm working on a prototype for a custom mod and want to do some drilling on a tank base to improve airflow. If I have enough time I'll be taking the vacuum for a walk as well. I've got to mix some liquids myself, four empty bottles is my cue to mix, but that can wait for tomorrow. I keep plenty in stock.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Well - It has been Spring here in South Florida for awhile now and I am hoping that it will be the same up in "awsumland" ;) , especially since I'm ready and all set to go to the Airport for one of "My" usual trip North . . .
airportscreen-2.gif

SO - BE GOOD & PLAY NICE . . .
gardenplay.gif

I'll Be Lurking and See Ya' All Later . . .
resize

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
moanin', Volties.

It's kind of cool, 43, and overcast this morning. It rained overnight but isn't raining now. It's supposed to rain this afternoon. I've got to do some paperwork, AKA bills, and then go to the post orifice. After that I'm working on a prototype for a custom mod and want to do some drilling on a tank base to improve airflow. If I have enough time I'll be taking the vacuum for a walk as well. I've got to mix some liquids myself, four empty bottles is my cue to mix, but that can wait for tomorrow. I keep plenty in stock.

I suppose I hadn't reached emergency levels of ejuice but the tobaccos really need to steep to be truly tasty so I definitely like to be ahead of the game on those.

What is bad is the other morning. I knew I should get new cartos in my tanks but kept putting it off. I was down to two tanks that didn't have leaky cartos and then, before I even managed to have my coffee, those last two cartos went bad and I was re-doing my cartos at 5am. Not a good thing apparently.

I was sitting in front of the woodstove vaping and then I was getting a burnt taste. I remoistened the carto from the top and it was fine for a bit and then a burnt taste. After awhile, I just vaped 12mg until I could re-do the carto for a second time on the 18mg.

Turns out I grabbed a carto with no holes in it....not pre-punched...so it was going dry!!!! The other carto was pre-punched and the 12 mg got me through until I could work on making sure I had plenty of carto tanks with new cartos in them.

Last edited:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
That's why I keep a good stock of mixed liquids. They're all, both, tobacco flavors and really taste best after a two week steep. They can get by on a week, but two weeks, minimum, is best. I could also speed steep them in a UC cleaner but it's a lot easier just to stay ahead.

Uncle, Friday and the weekend are supposed to be pretty nice.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Hi Everyone! I've been busy, busy. Not as much as Lizzie, but busy for me. I've been dying to finish my build tray organizer, and finally did it. The photo doesn't do it justice. You should see the beautiful grain in the woods that I incorporated: Walnut and some kind of maple.

That odd thing on the right top of the unit is a Kanthal dispenser that I built. It isn't crooked like it appears. I just set it at an angle so that you could tell that it wasn't a part of the unit. It just rests on top. BTW - I never want to make itty bitty drawers again. Just sayin'.

Spring has sprung around here, and a few of the locals are attacking their own image in the picture windows. The song birds aren't too obnoxious, but Henry, the downy woodpecker has been at this for DAYS now!

Today I went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life. My back pain is getting very difficult to tolerate. He is new in the building and the nurse kept getting lost in the maze of rooms. :blink: Not only that, but the X-ray machine was on the fritz, so he couldn't see what was going on in my back. I'm sure that I've crunched it up rather badly hauling and lifting my artwork all over the country when I was on tour. But, I think that my back being this bad stems back to when I fell down on the trail and landed on a rock that hit just to the right of my spine in the lower back. That was in November of 2013. Nooo ... I'm not stubborn about resisting medical treatment at all! :facepalm: So, I had a mega TENS treatment and he massaged and investigated the area that is so terribly inflamed right now. I'm supposed to go back when the X-ray is back in operation.

Mega storms going through here. This morning, we had good sized hail (reported by a trained spotter to be .7"). I retreated to the basement at one point, but only briefly until things calmed down. We're due for more action tonight and tomorrow.

I'm so relieved that Penny seems to be recovering, Sandy!!! clapping-smiley.gif My heart just sank when I read about her and I felt terrible for both of you.

Lizzie - ALWAYS ejuice making before other chores. What were you thinking?!?! :?:

So good to see you back, Reptilr!! I've missed you! :)

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
Hey everyone.

Lizzie i don't know, the white tomato plants seem to be dead, i have to re plant.

I sprayed a copper sulphate solution and got rid of the mold on the pots. I had to do this sooner.

Too many clouds these days and i had them under the led grow light which is insufficient (still waiting for two more leds) but the weather will improve tomorrow.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Sorry about your back Rave, but you are an artist in more ways than one. That organizer is gorgeous - extremely professional looking with a touch of love in the making...

Thanks! :D

Hey everyone.

Lizzie i don't know, the white tomato plants seem to be dead, i have to re plant.

I sprayed a copper sulphate solution and got rid of the mold on the pots. I had to do this sooner.

Too many clouds these days and i had them under the led grow light which is insufficient (still waiting for two more leds) but the weather will improve tomorrow.

Hope you have better luck with them and that your weather will improve. Fingers crossed.

How about a view of the inside of that kanthal storage/dispenser, Rave?

Here's a close up of the uber-simplistic switch to hold the Kanthal in place where it exits the dispenser. Looks better in person ...

Here's the inside. There's a post to hold the roll in place. I had to put posts in the corners and corresponding holes in the lid because the neodymium magnets were not holding the lid square. :facepalm:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
How much current are you shooting for? And at what voltage? I built a supply, years ago, that ran up to 18 volts and tested "solid" at 12V and 30A. I had four, large, heat sinks on the back for the pass transistors with a fan, blowing up, under them to make sure, LOL. It ran my IC745 at full output without even breaking a sweat.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

Your organizer is amazing, RAven. I'm so impressed. It looks fabulous and so nicely made.

Hubby is on a roll. He replaced the toilet valve when he got home last night so it no longer leaks.

He wanted to know if we were going to cut down the little poplar tonight when he gets home from work. He got some stump remover to use on it and the willow stump. You put this stuff in the tree and then, in 4 weeks, you add kerosene and the tree stump burns up, I guess.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
Good morning, Voltpeeps.

He wanted to know if we were going to cut down the little poplar tonight when he gets home from work. He got some stump remover to use on it and the willow stump. You put this stuff in the tree and then, in 4 weeks, you add kerosene and the tree stump burns up, I guess.

Yea, stump remover does not take to long with soft wood trees - 4 weeks not sure, but it does work fast. I normally wait 3 months, but they are harder woods than what you mentioned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread