Status
Not open for further replies.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
'moanin, Voltaics.

Lizzie, what do you use to stretch your wire fence, besides a come-along? I did the original installation using "brute force" while Mrs. Awsum set some staples, but want to find a better, or the best, way. I've been looking at clamps but thought I'd ask you before I order anything.

I'm so far behind, maybe you have the problem solved, but if you don't, I've seen something like this -- Dare Wire Strainer Hot Dip Zinc Frame 1703 -- on the wires that hold up the grapes in the local vineyards. Would that work?

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
So this morning I was thinking about the lime on the faucet and decided to try some straight vinegar, works to clean a drip coffee maker. Works like a charm. Let it soak a bit, then a toothbrush does the trick.

Awsum, we have a real problem with mineral buildup, and I like vinegar, but I found hot vinegar works a lot better. Use it to clean out the coffeemaker, then use what's in the coffeemaker to clean that yellow sludge.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
It's been so long since I mentioned tutoring that I should catch up.

The latest is that I found a nearby Easter egg hunt for the original girl. She has mentioned wanting to do this for years, so I hope it works out. That's the 26th, the day before Easter. I'll get her and her siblings in the morning and still have time to tutor everyone in the afternoon as usual.

Today, I tutored the 3 kids from the restaurant family at their house and then the new girl at her house.

The oldest original boy, always my biggest challenge, had an attitude. I stopped to give him a lecture, and when we finished with the grammar and got to the reading -- botflies -- he perked up some. But the other day I asked for some poems, and he is showing a wild, quirky imagination with them.

None of them like grammar, but the new girl is really plugging away at it. She is such a hard worker! I wonder if she will get bored as the others have done. I hope not! The other day, I attended another parent-teacher conference, and they said she's still reading 2nd-grade, but I'm giving her 3rd-grade stuff. Yes, it's beginning 3rd grade, but she can handle it. The teacher said they don't want to challenge the kids too much, so they give them stuff that they can mostly read with just a few hard words. I challenge them more, having them read stuff with many words they don't know, but that they still can understand, since they are reading aloud to me, and if they need an explanation, I provide it. Though too many times of defining a word or explaining a plot is a drag, too, so I do have to make it fairly comprehensible. So I see what the teacher means, but I think I want to challenge the kids a bit more. They learn form that.

Speaking of challenge, the original girl is still reading The Jungle Books. She's at the chapter called "Red Dog," about the attack of the dholes. I think that's one of the more exciting ones, but it's been a long time since I read it, so I'm reading it again as she is.

Recently, her older bother mentioned the Ku Klux .... and how his teacher told the class that he had a cross burned on his front lawn. I asked if he was black, and the boy said no, he was Native American. So the boy and his sister wanted to know more about the ...., and I did a lot of research and compiled something for them. As I did, I began to wonder why they burned crosses. After all, they espoused Christianity, right? So I asked Google that question, and the answer is that they didn't till D. W. Griffith came up with a movie called Birth of a Nation, which showed the KKK in a good light. In it, he had the .... burn a cross, because they had some link to old Scottish rites, and the Scots used to burn a cross on a hill as a call to arms. So after the movie came out, the .... started burning crosses. One of those trivia things you may need to remember if you play Trivial Pursuit.

The little boy is doing well and is learning more English all the time, though, today, when I asked him if he wanted to go on the Easter egg hunt, he said no till his sister explained in Chinese. What did he think I was asking him to do? He loves mazes, and I give him one each time. He has to draw the lines so they stay in the alleys, not cross over, and he is getting that. Some of the mazes I give him have him follow the ABCs so it's easy, but some, he just has to find his way through, and that has gotten incrementally harder. We've tried some simple word searches, but he hasn't gotten the hang of that yet. There's a list of words his teacher gave me to have him sight read, and he nearly knows them all. He is enthusiastic and is getting to like me reading stories to him. Today, it was The Three Little Kittens. We play concentration with alphabet cards, and he is usually good at finding the matching cards, though today, for the first time, I won. He is a good loser, didn't cry or get grumpy about it. He is generally a sunny soul until he does't get what he wants or he needs a nap. He still needs some work on making the lowercase letters hang below the line. But remember, this is kindergarten, and back in my day, we didn't need to know more than how to write our name. Though I do remember my kindergarten teacher having us line up at the door for recess and having us count by 5s.

The oldest boy, the new girl's brother, only gets a lesson on Saturdays. He is doing well. He writes well, seems to understand what he reads, but he is behind in grammar and reading aloud, so I correct his pronunciation, and we get vocab words from that.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I know I am late.....but congrats on 3 years! That is awesome! Woohoo!
You are a sweet gal, Ducky.

SandySu - Interesting update. Let us know how the Easter egg hunt goes.

I have a cleaning job and some shopping to do.

Awsum - Is Costco going to come out with some info about the new credit card set up soon. Are we all going to have to stand in line for hours trying to get a new Costco id card? They are kind of getting on my nerves with this wait until the last minute to tell us what is going on.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'moanin and groanin, Volties.

Hi, Uncle!

I went to my daughters for her birthday and a Saint Patty's day dinner yesterday and over ate and got home late so I'm kind of dragging today. I didn't really eat all that much, but a lot more than I've gotten used to in my efforts to keep my "svelte" figure. Probably too many carbs did me in. She had some handmade cupcakes that were decorated very, very, nicely. A few had marzipan rainbows and all of them had a combo birthday/Saint Patty's day theme. They weren't overly sweet, either. An advantage of, basically, home made. Then there was the cream cheese pound cake, my daughters' favorite and who can say no to brownies?

Interesting to note that Saint Patrick was actually Italian. He was born in Great Britain when it was under Roman rule, which made it actually Roman(Italian) territory. He ended up Catholic then migrated to Ireland and started converting the Druids to Catholicism. Technically, he really isn't a Saint since his title predates the Vatican/Pope bestowing titles. History can be interesting fun.

The tutoring sounds like you're making progress with all of them, Sandy. It has to be very satisfying to see your efforts bear fruit as their capabilities and knowledge grow, even with the arguments and "the dog ate my homework" stuff. It's interesting, to me, that school doesn't seem to want to challenge them much. Maybe that's another thing going wrong with education in general. I know when I was in school, challenges were made and meeting them was expected. I do wonder what the boy thought an Easter egg hunt was.

That wire stretcher looks good. I've been looking at single wire stretchers like that and have found a few inexpensive ones. With four foot horse fence it would take two of them, one for the top wire and one for the bottom wire, and then pulling both, equally, simultaneously. The "sandwich" method would eliminate a double pull but I do worry about slip. I'll try the sandwich first, since it's cheaper and I'm cheap.

Awsum - Is Costco going to come out with some info about the new credit card set up soon. Are we all going to have to stand in line for hours trying to get a new Costco id card? They are kind of getting on my nerves with this wait until the last minute to tell us what is going on.

From what I have heard they will be sending out new cards, from Chase, I think. It's kind of disappointing to us, too. We liked the Amex card for Costco, now it's just another CC. I think they'll start sending them out in May or June, at least that's the impression I've gotten, so far so there shouldn't be any standing in line unless something goes wrong with your, specific, card. I wonder if we'll still see a "cash back bonus" with the new card. I haven't seen anything mentioned. I do know Amex is taking a major hit over time losing the Costco agreement.

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
@SandySu . . . For all the Kids, but especially the young girl reading the book:

AND - Don't forget the original movie either (Here is a full copy of it at "YouTube":

:

Thanks, Uncle. We want to see the new movie when it comes out in April if it will be shown somewhere we can travel to.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
'afternoon, Voltatics.

Our bed was supposed to come between 4 and 8PM yesterday. About 11:30 I got a call saying they were running early and would between 1 and 2 be OK? It sure was!

I can say that after only one night I feel a major difference and Mrs. Awsum also had a much better nights sleep. No backaches getting up and very little soreness/stiffness in the hips and legs. A really significant change. We're both going to leave the firmness settings alone for a few days, then try moving up and down a little at a time. It will take a little time to adjust to a different bed with some real support. I will say if you're looking at a new mattress you should seriously consider the Sleep Number. All the component parts are user replaceable unlike replacing an entire, conventional, mattress.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.
No. The guys from the telecom company wanted to go home for the weekend and they didn't notified anyone so we went there and there was nothing to do since they weren't there, we spent 400 euros for nothing.

We will go for the radiolink only this time (i am right now checking the whole radio planning stuff and actions i need to do on the backbone) and will return on the generators when they pay for all the crap they caused.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Until recently they worked for the government so they are still the laziest and most useless employees on the planet, seems they do the same even if the Germans bought them.
It's funny cause the Germans don't know they bought a black hole lol.
There is no need to return the favor, just pay, everytime you do something you will pay twice the price.

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
No no no no... The US government actually produces something, things work.

Here we are talking about the Greek government employees, they do not even show up at work, they are indeed the most useless people on the planet, they only consume money, nothing else is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread