cigalike recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
An interesting perspective. The kr808 stuff I was referring to was actually released in Britain, and imported unofficially via airmail. Kind of like the entirety of Chinese manufacturing is available to everyone today. The internet is an amazing thing. I started vaping on a device called a cloud9 as soon as it appeared in tobacco stores in my area. I had been watching e-cigarettes as a concept for some time. My memory says they first appeared in the US in Hollywood and used in place of real cigarettes for acting scenes. They would do things like glue ash to the ends to make them look more realistic.

You seem to have some hard data about the early days of ecigs that I do not have though. Do you know by any chance when the cloud9 was first available in the USA?

UPDATE: this line of reasoning caused me to look up the history of e-cigarettes
Historical Timeline of Electronic Cigarettes - CASAA according to this they were available just about the time I said they were

Perhaps just about the time, but I'd say KR808's started getting commercially popular circa 2009 in the U.S. I do know from V2 forums that mod type devices were available or being custom made in 2011. But from what I recall, I would estimate that 95% of vapers (if not more) were on cigalike devices in 2011. I think late 2012 to early 2013 is when it started to flip. And by 2015 to 2016, it seemed most core vapers had graduated to bigger, shinier toys.

As one who does prefer the older gear, from my experience it is hard to know where to go nowadays. As this thread kinda shows. I think I could list about 4 reasons why I prefer them over say my Breeze II and JustFog devices, but I don't hate on those devices. In fact, I'm looking forward to ordering more of those.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Perhaps just about the time, but I'd say KR808's started getting commercially popular circa 2009 in the U.S. I do know from V2 forums that mod type devices were available or being custom made in 2011. But from what I recall, I would estimate that 95% of vapers (if not more) were on cigalike devices in 2011. I think late 2012 to early 2013 is when it started to flip. And by 2015 to 2016, it seemed most core vapers had graduated to bigger, shinier toys.

As one who does prefer the older gear, from my experience it is hard to know where to go nowadays. As this thread kinda shows. I think I could list about 4 reasons why I prefer them over say my Breeze II and JustFog devices, but I don't hate on those devices. In fact, I'm looking forward to ordering more of those.
I guess the question is which came first? My first ecig was neither a 501 or an 808, but an rn47something (I forget). It was not the first ecig out. I had read about kr808 systems in England which were not available in the US. The 501 eventually won the standardization battle not because it was particularly good, but because it was non proprietary, unlike the RNwhatsit I was using. The kr808 has major advantages over the 510 in that it is wider and thinner. Space is at a premium with cigalikes and the kr808 both offered more and took up less. Much like Betamax though being better doesn’t necessarily create victory. It’s a 510 world these days. The kr808 iirc did much better in Europe than it did in the US. Possibly because of its late entry.

Reactions: bopalong13

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018

I started with the KR808 probably about 7-8 years ago and I remember that it was right after that we started seeing alot of people switching from the cig a likes to other devices. I really stayed with mine because of how easy it was to just keep using mine all day with switching between a few charged batteries and like I said the ease of holding it in my mouth when needed. And because I haven't been someone whose been looking for a clouds vape so far necessarily just one that keeps going through the day. I am looking forward to trying out some of the newer devices like the MiniFog and the BreezeII or something similar to have a better vape to supplement the KR808s that I use but I really like being able to have the smaller batteries that I can have to just carry around and not worry about to much.

Reactions: bnrkwest

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
So for an update so far I've ordered a bunch of clearomizers from vaporkings to try out and I've ordered some of the Kranger 808 clearomizers from evcigs to try out even though i'm skeptical about the shorter wicks on them but we'll see how they do and I can let you know if you want. I also emailed the supplier of the 900mah 808 battery to see if they planned on restocking the automatic battery again for my dad because he was very interested in that. Theres been alot of emailing with the suppliers to see what they have in stock. I just wanted to let you guys know that I've been listening to some of the advice. I've also ordered a few different kinds of liquid from different places I know we haven't been talking about that here but hey progress right.

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
Does anyone have experience with something like the BreezeII or the Justfog Minifit or similar devices and the Innokin Goby or something similar? The Goby was suggested to me and I like the idea of having to only replace the coils when needed and only having to have a couple of glass tanks incase I end up breaking them which I know I will eventually end up doing. But I like the idea of the different coils that I can switch between if I want to and the different pods that I can switch between if I want to switch flavors of liquid with the BreezeII.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Does anyone have experience with something like the BreezeII or the Justfog Minifit or similar devices and the Innokin Goby or something similar? The Goby was suggested to me and I like the idea of having to only replace the coils when needed and only having to have a couple of glass tanks incase I end up breaking them which I know I will eventually end up doing. But I like the idea of the different coils that I can switch between if I want to and the different pods that I can switch between if I want to switch flavors of liquid with the BreezeII.
The issue with pods at the moment is a lot of them will very shortly be made illegal. Generally only sealed pod ones I believe, but that sort of thing tends to produce mission creep. I have seen very positive reviews of the breeze2, the Orion, and the rock boulder if you want something cheap with an auto switch

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
The issue with pods at the moment is a lot of them will very shortly be made illegal. Generally only sealed pod ones I believe, but that sort of thing tends to produce mission creep. I have seen very positive reviews of the breeze2, the Orion, and the rock boulder if you want something cheap with an auto switch
yea it does seem like there is alot of pushback against alot of the non refillable pod systems out there. Hopefully that won't creep into the refill systems but like you said people tend to try to push that kind of stuff with out understanding it fully. I do want a refill system though. I have seen alot of good reviews for the breeze2 and those others which is why I was leaning that way but then I got the recommendation for the Goby so I figured I'd try looking into that to. It just seems like the BreezeII or the pod systems might be alittle more in line with what I am used looking for in terms of being able to switch the flavors with the pods if needed and the coils when wanted but I'm still looking into both because I haven't looked into the Goby or similar devices as much.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I quit using Halo 808's, I liked them back in the day. As for a pod, the only one I like is the Lost Vape Orion. It is tiny and light, but it is rectangular not cig a like. The pods are refillable and the pod I am on has been filled 20 times, still going :)

Attachments

• IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: 10x sugar

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
It's been a while since I have posted on this forum. Mostly because I've been vaping away on my Mark 10 cigalikes. I liked them because of their size and they can be discretely vaped just about anywhere. And the bold tobacco flavor had a nice nicotine punch to it. But then the good old monster tax came about. When I first started vaping Mar 10's, they were only 6 bucks for a two cart refill. And often times they had a two for one offer that made them pretty cheap. Now the refills are anywhere from 13.00 to 15.00 depending on where you buy them. Although 7-11 stores, Arco gas stations and a few chevron stations were the only place to buy them.

I finally got fed up with paying those ridiculous prices and started looking around. I tried the Halo stuff. It was good, but not real good. Then the V2 and again, it was good but not real good. And I also tried Mig Vapor. Once again, they were good. But not real good. Then I finally broke down and decided to take a look at the stuff in China. Low and behold, they have a lot of cigalike products for sale.

I stumbled on the Kamry Casiel KEcig 3.0 A. The last thing I purchased from Kamry was a K100. At least I think that's what it was called. It was the first mech mod I ever purchased. That was years ago, but it was good. So I figured, what the heck, I'll try it again. It took about 2 weeks to get here. But when it got here I was pleasantly surprised. I opened the box and charged the PCC with the batteries in it. In less than an hour I had a fully charged PCC and two nice looking ecigs. The thing that makes them so nice is that they dont have fiber filled cartridges like the others I tried. Instead, they have a mini tank that holds 1ml of my favorite ejuice. My fav juice is the 24 mg nic. Virginia Blend by Aroma Ejuice. The fiber wick carts from the other ecigs always seemed to change the taste of the juice just a little bit. But these min tanks on the Casiel do not. I get the full flavor along with a killer shot of nic. The batteries 180 ma are a bit on the small side. But with the 1200 mah PCC it doesn't really matter, because I can just have one charging while I'm vaping on the other one. I never have to go vapeless while waiting for a battery to charge. The vapor production is also outstanding. More than you would expect from a cigalike. The coils are tiny and have a resitance of 2.2 ohms. I like it so much that I decided to order another one along with 30 more coils. But this time I got a Kamry Casiel KEcig 3.0 B. They take the same coils, but look just a little differnt and the PCC looks a little nicer in my opinion.

So, if it's a cigalike that you want, I think this one is probably one of the best. Just go to aliexpress and take a look. I was spending about 400 bucks a month on the old Mark 10 stuff. Now I'll only be spending about 70 bucks a month. I can't believe I was spending so much on those Mark 10's. But in Mark 10's defense. It was'nt really their fault. It was that g0d da@mn tax the wonderful voters of this state passed a couple years ago. What a bunch of idiot lemmings we have here. It's almost embarrassing. No, wait I take that back. It's utterly g0d d@mn embarrassing. I forget who it was. But someone on this forum called california the DPRK (Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) Lol. I guess the people of Kalifornia love their taxes. Hell, this last election prop's 5 and 6 got shot down. WTF? Why don't they just tax me till I can't take it anymore. Between the bonds and the taxes that we pay here, it's unbelievable. But I digress. But you will love the Casiel for sure LOL. I promise.

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
Hopefully they won't get banned. I read an article the other day. The FDA claims the reason they are trying to regulate the ecigs so much is mostly because of the candy and fruity flavors that are offered and that they so so easily obtained my minors. Their claim is that if they don't regulate them, our wonderful lawmakers will ban them. And to be honest, I kind of believe it. All you have to do these days is mention "It's for the children." and like a bunch of suckers, our lawmakers will instantly put a ban on it. Anyone remeber FOSTA/SESTA. What a joke that was. But it was to protect our children from entering into human trafficking. Heck, I've seen more human trafficking in a nail salon than anything I've ever seen on Backpage or Craigslist. How bout we take a look into that mr. and mrs. lawmaker. Ok, I better put myself in check before I continue ranting about the idiocracies of our lawmakers. But they are dumber than a box of rocks.

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
Hopefully they won't get banned. I read an article the other day. The FDA claims the reason they are trying to regulate the ecigs so much is mostly because of the candy and fruity flavors that are offered and that they so so easily obtained my minors. Their claim is that if they don't regulate them, our wonderful lawmakers will ban them. And to be honest, I kind of believe it. All you have to do these days is mention "It's for the children." and like a bunch of suckers, our lawmakers will instantly put a ban on it. Anyone remeber FOSTA/SESTA. What a joke that was. But it was to protect our children from entering into human trafficking. Heck, I've seen more human trafficking in a nail salon than anything I've ever seen on Backpage or Craigslist. How bout we take a look into that mr. and mrs. lawmaker. Ok, I better put myself in check before I continue ranting about the idiocracies of our lawmakers. But they are dumber than a box of rocks.
I remember the "for the kids arguement" was the same thing used to ban the clove/kreteks back in the day before i got off the actual cigs. That was a sad day to especially because back then I really didnt see any of them actually smoking them but again i guess we digress... your right though I really hope that the pods don't start getting banned especially the refillable ones. I feel like there is a big lack of understanding there.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I remember the "for the kids arguement" was the same thing used to ban the clove/kreteks back in the day before i got off the actual cigs. That was a sad day to especially because back then I really didnt see any of them actually smoking them but again i guess we digress... your right though I really hope that the pods don't start getting banned especially the refillable ones. I feel like there is a big lack of understanding there.
The whole Kretek ban wasn’t the worst thing in the world science wise. It turns out clove oil really is bad for you if you breathe it. It’s one of the super irritating tank cracker flavors along with cinnamon

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
I quit using Halo 808's, I liked them back in the day. As for a pod, the only one I like is the Lost Vape Orion. It is tiny and light, but it is rectangular not cig a like. The pods are refillable and the pod I am on has been filled 20 times, still going :)
Looking into the Orion now the biggest drawback that I'm seeing to it now is its price in regards to the others I'd probably only be able to get one of the batteries for now instead of getting two of the batteries like I would with the others to be able to switch between when the battery runs out. How long does the battery tend to last you with the Orion?

bopalong13

Nov 7, 2018
The whole Kretek ban wasn’t the worst thing in the world science wise. It turns out clove oil really is bad for you if you breathe it. It’s one of the super irritating tank cracker flavors along with cinnamon
Very true. I just remember being very disappointed when they went away initially and with the saying it was for the kids because I really hadn't seen very many kids with them at the time of the ban. If they had pushed the ban more with the health reasons at the time people probably wouldn't have listened as much but it would have been more realistic at least.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Looking into the Orion now the biggest drawback that I'm seeing to it now is its price in regards to the others I'd probably only be able to get one of the batteries for now instead of getting two of the batteries like I would with the others to be able to switch between when the battery runs out. How long does the battery tend to last you with the Orion?
I use the Orion when I am out and about, so not sure! But it charges in only 45 min. I love the little thing :)

Sky-Guy

Nov 1, 2009
The Bahamas

I made my first e-cig purchases (Kr808D-1) from V4L and Green Smoke (Kr808D-2/E9) back in September of 2009... I believe V4L started in 2008... Not sure how long GS had been around by then.
I loved the draw, smoothness, throat hit and vapor from GS that I never picked up another analog since the day it arrived!
I came back on here to research to find a cigalike to replace GS as Altria has now closed them down! :-(
Tried V4L again, but the draw is SOOOOO light (and so so vapor)... Can anyone say if other brands of 808's have tighter draws??

Back when I first joined this forum, the vast majority of members were cigalike users, but now nobody seems to care about the cigalikes... I guess those of us that wanted a direct replacement for analogs found a brand we liked and that was the end of it, we were 'good to go'! (Hence over 9 years since I posted here).
It's a shame these tiny devices are dwindling as I think a lot of 'smokers' like the idea of mimicking the old habit... as I have. I really have ZERO interest in this as a hobby and really don't want a big box (or even a small Ego style... I like to hold my cigalike in my mouth while doing stuff, and 3 bats + 3 carts take less space in my top pocket than a pack of cigs used to, what more can I ask for as an ex-smoker?).

I have tried many other devices; Anyone here remember the 'Silver Bullet'? (Circa 2010) ;-)
If anyone has any suggestions for a true cigalike, with a nice tight draw and decent vapour, please let me know!
Thanks

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I made my first e-cig purchases (Kr808D-1) from V4L and Green Smoke (Kr808D-2/E9) back in September of 2009... I believe V4L started in 2008... Not sure how long GS had been around by then.
I loved the draw, smoothness, throat hit and vapor from GS that I never picked up another analog since the day it arrived!
I came back on here to research to find a cigalike to replace GS as Altria has now closed them down! :-(
Tried V4L again, but the draw is SOOOOO light (and so so vapor)... Can anyone say if other brands of 808's have tighter draws??

Back when I first joined this forum, the vast majority of members were cigalike users, but now nobody seems to care about the cigalikes... I guess those of us that wanted a direct replacement for analogs found a brand we liked and that was the end of it, we were 'good to go'! (Hence over 9 years since I posted here).
It's a shame these tiny devices are dwindling as I think a lot of 'smokers' like the idea of mimicking the old habit... as I have. I really have ZERO interest in this as a hobby and really don't want a big box (or even a small Ego style... I like to hold my cigalike in my mouth while doing stuff, and 3 bats + 3 carts take less space in my top pocket than a pack of cigs used to, what more can I ask for as an ex-smoker?).

I have tried many other devices; Anyone here remember the 'Silver Bullet'? (Circa 2010) ;-)
If anyone has any suggestions for a true cigalike, with a nice tight draw and decent vapour, please let me know!
Thanks
I would suggest exploring pod mods. They’re more or less what cigalikes morphed into and many can be held in the mouth and have auto switches.

Sky-Guy

Nov 1, 2009
The Bahamas
I would suggest exploring pod mods. They’re more or less what cigalikes morphed into and many can be held in the mouth and have auto switches.
Thanks Bomb, I'll explore the pods option... any suggestion (from anyone) which pod mods have a tight draw (I'm definitely a MTL vaper) I like to feel like I'm drawing on something rather than sucking with no resistance, also; what nicotine strength would a pod equivalent be for me having been on 1.8%? (I've read that that style needs a lower nic % than the cigalikes I'm used to... or is that only applicable to the big mods?)

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks Bomb, I'll explore the pods option... any suggestion (from anyone) which pod mods have a tight draw (I'm definitely a MTL vaper) I like to feel like I'm drawing on something rather than sucking with no resistance, also; what nicotine strength would a pod equivalent be for me having been on 1.8%? (I've read that that style needs a lower nic % than the cigalikes I'm used to... or is that only applicable to the big mods?)
It varies a lot. Some pods use extremely high salt eliquids which have a reduced throat hit comparable to the amount of nicotine they contain. You are looking it seems for a tight mtl draw so will likely want a nic level similar to what you used on the cigalikes.

• Informative
Reactions: Sky-Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread